Code of Conduct

Default Okoumal and Adoxal EU/UK

I've had no luck ordering Adoxal and Okoumal. I don't mind paying customs but the ever so thorough German customs annihilated samples I've ordered twice already quoting lack of REACH documentation in German. These aroma chemicals seem rather common and appear in many demo formulas.

I expect Okoumal can be replaced by other things so I' open to replacements suggestions.

Help appreciated.

Default Re: Okoumal and Adoxal EU/UK

was looking for the same...
    any substitue for okoumal? similar ?
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

same problem with purchasing okoumal in DIY amounts here in EU. i just recently got it imported from perfumers apprentice by a visiting friend, again and again. would be awesome if for example pell wall could provide it. its a lovely ingredient!
    out of my experience its hard to replace, but not totally impossible as there are a lot of woody ambers available in smaller sizes. of course, the results will be a bit different. the beautiful thing about okoumal is that it adds a very sophisticated ambery body, and is way easier to blend then others from the woody ambers.

for substituting in a formula you will need an accord, and might try amberxtreme in combination with iso e and kohinool, and an opaque musk in traces - like aurelione - might be useful too. aurelione also provides a very interesting spark in addition to its musky qualities. traseolide might be worth trying too with its amber creamy musk character. in addition clearwood might be worth a try too. but you should try for yourself.

a 1:1 substitution with amberxtreme won't work. way stronger and woodier. it feels a bit 'hysteric' to me. adds more of a woody diffusion than giving the woody ambery body like okoumal.
    norlimbanol is too dry and more to the cedar-direction. and same here, more diffusion than body.
    ambrocenide is woodier than okoumal. dark woody, i'm getting hints of some resinous incense aspects too.. and it misses the musky aspects of okoumal, its sharper.

hope that helps!

Thank you very much, pavomi!
    I suppose I won't be able to create an Okoumal replacement before I have actually smelled it. Nonetheless, I can at least test the ingredients you mentioned in formulas calling for it. Interesting you mention Aurelione which might be the Muscenone-like note I keep detecting in tobacco fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by xii View Post
    Thank you very much, pavomi!
    I suppose I won't be able to create an Okoumal replacement before I have actually smelled it.
    PM if you want me to send a sample.