Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Why has my post count gone down?

I'm down to double digits, but maybe this means I can relive the "accomplishments" of 100 and 1000 posts! Time travel!
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Community Manager

It seems that the Basenotes Robot self-destructed and deleted all the SOTD-threads that it's in charge of initiating every day. I think it's up and running again and that most post counts have been reinstated.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker
    Currently wearing: Anice by Etro

Basenotes Junkie

Looks like all of my posts from prior to the 23rd of October have been deleted and I'm down to 1, yikes! Doesn't look like any of the threads I've subscribed to saved either, except one that was updated on the 23rd. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    It seems that the Basenotes Robot self-destructed and deleted all the SOTD-threads that it's in charge of initiating every day. I think it's up and running again and that most post counts have been reinstated.
    ALL my posts prior to 24th March have gone, and by no means all of those were SOTDs.
    Particularly missing the posts related to my Week of wearing L'Heure Bleue, and way out of my comfort zone !
    Post count not reinstated yet either.
    Spring/early summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge L'Eau; Etro Palais Jamais, Shaal Nur, Dianthus and Gomma; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling and Blenheim Bouquet; Comme des Garcons Zagorsk and Avignon; Dior Fahrenheit; and L.T. Piver Heliotrope

Blog Entries

Mine have not.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

Huh. Odd. I noticed obliquely yesterday that I had lost some count, but I thought maybe it was just my imagination because I wasn't paying too much attention since I broke 1000. But I think I did lose about 20 count or so.

Regarding the debate or "controversy" why it matters...things like post counts are what are called "internet badges." And every major social media and app developer company knows extremely well how psychologically addictive badges are. Likes, Shares, Retweets, comments, post counts, icons, titles, etc. Things of zero value still have a psychological compulsion. They are achievements. I'm sure many folks can shrug them off and "not care" one way or another. But I believe that is the exception to the rule. We like the world to change based on our impact on it, in ways both big and small. It shows we are alive, it shows we matter, it shows other give a crap about us. If it becomes too addictive, some of us break away from those technological tools and some of us don't. But either way, I think the compulsion to care about our counts is natural and easy to understand.

ADDED: Ps. I am a person who does care about my count because I think it shows to others in this community that I am an active participant and involved. I don't think my concern is excessive, the way it was when I used to be on Twitter, but I would say it matters to me. In a general way, a higher count shows others that this hobby matters to me. It's a form of communicating my commitment to this site, in a sense.
    Last edited by Juxtapozbliss; 26th October 2018 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added postscript
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Huh. Odd. I noticed obliquely yesterday that I had lost some count, but I thought maybe it was just my imagination because I wasn't paying too much attention since I broke 1000. But I think I did lose about 20 count or so.

Regarding the debate or "controversy" why it matters...things like post counts are what are called "internet badges." And every major social media and app developer company knows extremely well how psychologically addictive badges are. Likes, Shares, Retweets, comments, post counts, icons, titles, etc. Things of zero value still have a psychological compulsion. They are achievements. I'm sure many folks can shrug them off and "not care" one way or another. But I believe that is the exception to the rule. We like the world to change based on our impact on it, in ways both big and small. It shows we are alive, it shows we matter, it shows other give a crap about us. If it becomes too addictive, some of us break away from those technological tools and some of us don't. But either way, I think the compulsion to care about our counts is natural and easy to understand.
    Thank you for this wise & insightful post!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Dependent

I bet the missing posts have something to do with Grant's post:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/453...=1#post4470844
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.
    ( I came, I saw, I purchased. )

Top 10 for Autumn 2018
    01. Gyan by Bvlgari
    02. Ottoman Empire by Areej le Doré
    03. Safari Extreme by Abdul Samad Al Qurashi
    04. Baque by Slumberhouse
    05. Arabian Legend by Arabian Oud
    06. Au Coeur du Désert by Tauer
    07. Body Kouros (vintage) by Yves Saint Laurent
    08. Sycomore (EdP) by Chanel
    09. Derby by Guerlain
    10. L'Envol de Cartier EdP by Cartier

Basenotes Junkie

Ha, I went from 300 something to 24. I don't really care, but I did notice that as well.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Vmaster View Post
    I bet the missing posts have something to do with Grant's post:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/453...=1#post4470844
    Ahhh! Nice spot. Must be the culprit. Thanks for posting.

Basenotes Plus

....................................near the old Reading RR Line

ADDED: Ps. I am a person who does care about my count because I think it shows to others in this community that I am an active participant and involved. I don't think my concern is excessive, the way it was when I used to be on Twitter, but I would say it matters to me. In a general way, a higher count shows others that this hobby matters to me. It's a form of communicating my commitment to this site, in a sense.
    I concur, with your post script. My nearly non-existent post count makes me like a noob. I resent that; whether or not, anyone reads or values my opinions on a particular topic / perfume / whatever, I took the time out of my day to participate.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I concur, with your post script. My nearly non-existent post count makes me like a noob. I resent that; whether or not, anyone reads or values my opinions on a particular topic / perfume / whatever, I took the time out of my day to participate.
    True.

Noob. Rube. Boob. Lube. Tube. Pube.

I need a time out.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Yes! The post script, & your comment HoP, explain it so much better than l could. All those posts that l took the time & trouble to write mean something to me, if not to anyone else. And l do look at other people's post counts, because it does allow me to gauge their level of commitment to the site.

Missing Oakmoss

...I am a person who does care about my count because I think it shows to others in this community that I am an active participant and involved. I don't think my concern is excessive, the way it was when I used to be on Twitter, but I would say it matters to me. In a general way, a higher count shows others that this hobby matters to me. It's a form of communicating my commitment to this site, in a sense.
    Well stated. I always glance at post counts when I'm doing a search for particular notes, opinions of specific perfumes or recommendations, because a higher count might (though not necessarily, of course) mean that the person has a wide fragrance vocabulary and is able to comment from a solid knowledge base. In general, a higher post count suggests to me that someone is serious about the subject matter. We only know people here through posts and private messages - at least initially - and post count is just one of the markers available to help members get to know the territory. Naturally, everyone has to start somewhere and a newcomer might have more expertise than half the community, so I do factor that in.

Like many others here, my post count has gone down a good bit in recent days.

Basenotes Plus

....................................near the old Reading RR Line

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Yes! The post script, & your comment HoP, explain it so much better than l could. All those posts that l took the time & trouble to write mean something to me, if not to anyone else. And l do look at other people's post counts, because it does allow me to gauge their level of commitment to the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Well stated. I always glance at post counts when I'm doing a search for particular notes, opinions of specific perfumes or recommendations, because a higher count might (though not necessarily, of course) mean that the person has a wide fragrance vocabulary and is able to comment from a solid knowledge base. In general, a higher post count suggests to me that someone is serious about the subject matter. We only know people here through posts and private messages - at least initially - and post count is just one of the markers available to help members get to know the territory. Everyone has to start somewhere, and a newcomer might have more expertise than half the community, and I do factor that in.
    Indeed and absolutely!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I cannot afford to be attached to external social markers of identity. IRL, my markers have been taken from me. I am not a doctor. I am not a wife. I am not a stay at home mother. I am not a worker.

It leaves only me, and I am unchanged.

I understand humans are social creatures, that we feel loss exquisitely. I understand we all have an internet identity, and that online forums are social communities following all the conditions of social constructs. You all mean something to me. I feel I know you to a greater or lesser degree. I care for you. I care for your loss, for your feelings. And I have a real sense that you are caring and sensitive people.

Let's have a care for Grant. He's doing a big job the best way he can. Let's don't forget he is a caring and sensitive person who has no desire to hurt us. I hope he never reads this thread because perfection is a high bar.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

Thank you for explaining this. I truly appreciate your time and effort to do so. I have no idea if my post count changed or not (I still have not looked at it! ), but as I said, I could not care less, and if there is a way to transfer my post count to someone else for whom these things are very important and it would make him/her happy, then I am more than willing to do so. It will not change my life one whit. My legacy, be it large or small, be it good or bad, is completely unrelated to post count, although I respect that this may not be true for others.

In a sense, it is a blessing of sorts that this has happened, for it gives us a chance to contemplate our existence, our precious, limited time, and what we really want to do with the small amount of time we are here. We come from dust and we will return to dust, far sooner than we suspect in fact. I think we all need to get outside into the sunshine more often and confront the exigencies of life. As much as it may seem to be in this day and age sometimes, glorious, beautiful, hideous, delightful, painful, sorrowful, joyful life does not happen behind a computer screen. It is out there, babies. Once you live through odious wars, not knowing who will live and who will die and whether or not your country will survive and be the same, you will find that there are precious few things in this world to truly worry over.

It is officially the weekend. Get out and live. Enjoy the gift given you, babies. You may not be here next weekend. You can never be sure of the next minute much less the next year. Make the most of now because that is all there really is.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    Ahhh! Nice spot. Must be the culprit. Thanks for posting.
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.
    ( I came, I saw, I purchased. )

Top 10 for Autumn 2018
    01. Gyan by Bvlgari
    02. Ottoman Empire by Areej le Doré
    03. Safari Extreme by Abdul Samad Al Qurashi
    04. Baque by Slumberhouse
    05. Arabian Legend by Arabian Oud
    06. Au Coeur du Désert by Tauer
    07. Body Kouros (vintage) by Yves Saint Laurent
    08. Sycomore (EdP) by Chanel
    09. Derby by Guerlain
    10. L'Envol de Cartier EdP by Cartier

Same here.
    Around 4000.
    for swap/sale:

I just care about my stars. If I still have my five stars, I’m ok with that.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Dependent

Still not reinstated.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    But don't you all feel a little bit lighter, a little bit younger?
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Plus

I think I still have all of mine...
    Currently wearing: Eros by Versace

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I just care about my stars. If I still have my five stars, I’m ok with that.

Bring us the off-topic back! We need to restore our posts missed!
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20160225_123025.jpg

I'm just a potato that smells good.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

It's IFRA...

Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Mine have not.
    Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Still not reinstated.
    Ditto

Basenotes Junkie

Still not back to where I was and only have 1 star now. Poo

Edit: It also looks like no matter how many times I post, my count is now stuck at 1.... I’m forever young...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDawg View Post
    Still not back to where I was and only have 1 star now. Poo

Edit: It also looks like no matter how many times I post, my count is now stuck at 1.... I’m forever young...
    You've made it to the terrible twos.

Dang, now I'm starting to wonder if I'm too detached. You people drive me crazy (ier.)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast