Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Always be smelling

Default Re: Blind Sample Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Sample 5 - Chanel Allure Homme

Attachment 91300

I was curious to read the smelling notes for this one, and impressed that people described it so accurately.
    Dude this I got right too.
    Yay
    But mostly cause I know you a bit.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

I was curious to read smelling notes for this one, and impressed that people described it so accurately.

The bottle is almost empty, so when it's on its back, as pictured, the juice is spread thin and looks almost colorless.
    You know, I thought this was it [peanut gallery: "suuuure you did"] but it had been so long since I smelled it that I started to doubt myself as I wasn't sure I remembered it feeling quite so fresh. Then I kept trying to convince myself it was Sport or Edition Blanche, but really I knew it wasn't those. Also, since this is in your wardrobe, I suspected trickery, which I shouldn't have. I may be prone to overthinking.

Really nicely done, and of the two that smelled clearly modern to me (5 and 6) I enjoyed this one exponentially more. A versatile, warmish-fresh utility scent that had me pleased all day.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Really enjoying the thread! Thanks to everyone who is bravely sharing their impressions blind - it’s such an honest way to review and it’s been fun reading these. I would have loved to participate, but my travel this month wouldn’t have allowed for timely responses. Thanks for sharing with us
    It’s not the case that everybody was Kung-Fu fighting...

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Sample 6 - Polo Red

DSC_0313.jpg

This is an interesting fragrance to me, and I was excited to see how it did in blind sampling. A couple people liked it, but it was near the bottom of the list for some others.

It's a fragrance that definitely has some notes I like. There is something in this that draws me in. However, it also has a mix of various aroma chemicals (synthetic woods) that are doing the rounds in modern perfumery, and those notes (or fixatives) can scare me off as it develops, and make it something I almost never wear.

Sample 6 - Polo Red

DSC_0313.jpg

This is an interesting fragrance to me, and I was excited to see how it did in blind sampling. A couple people liked it, but it was near the bottom of the list for some others.

It's a fragrance that definitely has some notes I like. There is something in this that draws me in. However, it also has a mix of various aroma chemicals (synthetic woods) that are doing the rounds in modern perfumery, and those notes (or fixatives) can scare me off as it develops, and make it something I almost never wear.
    Very interesting, wish it had better performance. Have you had chance to compare it with intense version or extreme?

In eleventy billion years, I would have never guessed Polo Red for #6 The opening was harshly sharp/sweet but the dry down was enjoyable and held my interest. And it did not set off my specific basenote aromachemical alarms: some are fine, some I can't abide. I'll have to try it again, because I liked it the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by GioB89 View Post
    Very interesting, wish it had better performance. Have you had chance to compare it with intense version?
    There are a couple Polo Red flankers, if not more (Intense, Extreme). I thought they were fairly different from the original, from smelling them in the shop, and neither of them caught my interest. I would give them a wearing, though, to get to know them better.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    In eleventy billion years, I would have never guessed Polo Red for #6 The opening was harshly sharp/sweet but the dry down was enjoyable and held my interest. And it did not set off my specific basenote aromachemical alarms: some are fine, some I can't abide. I'll have to try it again, because I liked it the first time around.
    Right when I mailed the samples, Polo Red was the one I was the most excited about. I thought it might get more appreciation sampled blind, and I was so glad a couple people liked it. I always find something I like from it, but I never have a completely satisfying wearing into the base.

When they made flankers, I thought they might make little tweaks to make it even better, but from briefly trying them, it seemed like they went in a different direction: even trendier and more similar smelling to recent releases from other mass-market brands.

Sample 6 - Polo Red
    I feel proud I nailed the sage part, although I wonder what differs between clary sage and red sage. Reading other reviews I feel as if I'm blind to something in it, I thought it was very mild overall and nothing unpleasant.

I also agree about listed notes in general not being too important to get exactly right because most perfume contain very many ingredients that can't be listed in a note tree, the notes companies give are as much a general direction or overall impression that can be had.

I'll post my final thoughts on #7 soon, in about 5 hours. Anyway 3 and 7 are something I would likely get a bottle of within the next half year, I really like those. 4 is something I'd surely consider for the future as well. Smelling 4 actually made me pull the trigger and buy a bottle of L'eau d'hiver which I've been considering for a long time, although they are fairly different as well as similar.

Polo Red, ah ha! Another I hadn’t sniffed in ages.

Interesting that nobody picked up coffee in it (I think), as many of the directory reviews mention it. In hindsight...maybe? Or maybe the power of suggestion. Same with cranberry, which you’d think would stick out a bit if present (I wish it had).

Synthetic sensitivity aside, it seemed vague to me, especially so in light of the rather tempting pyramid, which i think is a perfect example of a “marketing pyramid” with little basis in reality, to continue that earlier conversation topic with Heawns.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 9th November 2018 at 03:50 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Always be smelling

I once bought Polo Sport back when I was not into fragrances. I hated it. That made me Polo averse.
    Then when I got into basenotes I tried Polo original vintage and loved it. So I went back to sephora to try other Polos.
    I did not like any of them. The worse of the lot was one of the Polo Reds. They have 3 - original,intense,extreme.

I was curious to read smelling notes for this one, and impressed that people described it so accurately.

The bottle is almost empty, so when it's on its back, as pictured, the juice is spread thin and looks almost colorless.
    Hah, so funny...I have Chanel Allure Homme Sport. Didn't make any connection. CAHS is just generally a light fresh bright frag for work. Not particularly distinct but pleasant. I feel like I was "off" on this one, it just didn't do anything for me.

Sample 6 - Polo Red

All I got was fruit and wood from this one, so I guess that is somewhat accurate, but it was too indistinct for my nose.

My first fragrance, in high school was:

polo.jpg
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

When I smelled this right out of the vial I thought it was similar to French Lover by Frederic Malle, but with much more incense. Upon application it's a lot softer than French Lover.

Green, floral and watery opening, soft but not tame. A watery, warm and soft feel. Something spicy right from the beginning as well, perhaps clove or cardamom. Something very bitter hiding in the background.

After 15 minutes briefly reminds me of Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin. After 60 minutes reminds me of Comme des Garcons 2 Man. Slightly minty vibe makes itself noticed. Cedar. Incense smell has become stronger. Something akin to a soapy smelling rose is now there as well.

After 90 minutes I think I smell cypress. Reminds me a lot of Gucci Pour Homme I (discontinued). Lots of cedar. After 2 hours white pepper. After 3 hours I notice something like fenugreek, or anyway something sour and bitter emerges - that might be the bitter stuff I noticed in the background earlier. Smells a bit like some cookies here in Sweden that I think have a bit of an ammonia smell to them. Very mild now but I think it still projects a bit, catching the smell ever so slightly when walking around.

Overall smells a bit balsamic and soapy as well. A lot of the things I noted along the way are probably present throughout, they just come and go and certain things fade out. Longevity on my arm is at least 6 hours. I don't think I've smelled this one before. Unisex.
    --------------
    My ranking: 3>7>4>2>1>5>6. With 3 and 7 being particularly nice in my opinion.

This was really fun. Thanks again Bavard! I'm going to scroll through the thread some more and read what everyone else thought (I tried only reading posts about what I had already smelled and posted about).

Sample 7 - Elie Saab Vetiver

DSC_0319.jpg

This was another birthday present this year. My wishlist proved useful!

This is also a sample in another pass that has been going on for months. That's how I was introduced to it.

We have started and finished this pass inside a month. We haven't heard from TheDiamondSea yet, but I did get postal service delivery confirmation for her samples, so I wouldn't be surprised if she posted smelling notes at some point.

Elie Saab Vetiver is probably my favorite fragrance in this pass. It's the best-smelling vetiver fragrance I remember having tried. I like a polished vetiver, perhaps, as IsoESuperman described it.

When I first smelled this in the other pass, I was so impressed. It smelled alluring, interesting, and well done. Since then, the line of Elie Saab Essence fragrances has become available on FragranceNet and/or FragranceX, etc.

It has papyrus as a listed note. The two heart notes I get, after the citrus in the opening fades, are vetiver and papyrus / thick-stock paper / old first-edition book.

It's a medium-weight fragrance, and I usually like fragrances a little stronger, so I haven't had too many feverish impulses about buying a back-up of this, yet. I am curious to try more from this line, though.

My approximate order of preference for samples in this pass:

1. Elie Saab Vetiver
    2. Ivoire de Balmain
    3. Prada Infusion d'Iris Absolue
    4. Je Suis Un Homme
    5. Allure Homme
    6. Mandragore
    7. Polo Red

This thread has been so fun, not that it has to end. I'm happy to discuss indefinitely, but I do want to thank everyone who has participated. Thank you!

Always be smelling

Thanks bavard for doing this. This was lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Thanks bavard for doing this. This was lot of fun.
    You're more than welcome. I'm glad it went well. I agree it was a lot of fun!

This was another birthday present this year. My wishlist proved useful!

This is also a sample in another pass that has been going on for months. That's how I was introduced to it.

We have started and finished this pass inside a month. We haven't heard from TheDiamondSea yet, but I did get postal service delivery confirmation for her samples, so I wouldn't be surprised if she posted smelling notes at some point.

Elie Saab Vetiver is probably my favorite fragrance in this pass. It's the best-smelling vetiver fragrance I remember having tried. I like a polished vetiver, perhaps, as IsoESuperman described it.

When I first smelled this in the other pass, I was so impressed. It smelled alluring, interesting, and well done. Since then, the line of Elie Saab Essence fragrances has become available on FragranceNet and/or FragranceX, etc.

It has papyrus as a listed note. The two heart notes I get, after the citrus in the opening fades, are vetiver and papyrus / thick-stock paper / old first-edition book.

It's a medium-weight fragrance, and I usually like fragrances a little stronger, so I haven't had too many feverish impulses about buying a back-up of this, yet. I am curious to try more from this line, though: Elie Saab Essences.
    So strange, I gave this another spin specifically trying to think of it as a vetiver scent based on other comments here, and even with that in mind, it still really smelled mostly like dry patchouli, leather, and that papery note against a slight vetiver in the base. So, yeah, to my nose, there's vetiver in there, but it doesn't read as "a vetiver scent" to me, even trying to look at it from that angle. Which is maybe part of the attraction - it's so polished and integrated into a wonderful smooth accord that we all seemed to get different things from it, but we pretty much all liked it.

Wow, great! My favorite too. Can't believe I didn't call out vetiver, but seems like vetiver is such a chameleon it represented to me as other qualities.

Great experience, thanks Bavard!
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    we pretty much all liked it.
    It's such a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Great experience, thanks Bavard!
    My pleasure!

Thanks again Bavard i will reuse samples from time to time, and update my reviews in case of new impression.

Quote Originally Posted by GioB89 View Post
    Thanks again Bavard i will reuse samples from time to time, and update my reviews in case of new impression.
    That's a good idea.

Basenotes Member

So this morning I pitted my bottom three head-to-head-to-head. Finishing at the bottom of the 7 is #2 Goutal Mandragore. 6th place goes to #6 Polo Red. 5th place goes to #5 Channel Allure Homme.

I would not wear the Mandragore (something sharp to my nose) or the Polo Red (too dang fruity/powdery). The Channel Allure Homme is actually nice, but as I stated before it seems to be a little generic to me.

I'll do a sniff off between #3 and #7 and #1 for my favorite masculine of the group. I'm pretty sure it's going to be #3 or #7.

Crusader - I'm enjoying the sniff offs, and curious to read the next round of results.

Sampling Blind

I feel like with the group of samplers we had, sampling blind didn't make much difference in how the fragrances were perceived. I feel like the smelling notes / impressions would have been the same if samplers had known the names of the fragrances.

Basenotes Member

Okay so...Trying all three of the remaining masculines on at the same time my favorite of the three is #3 ELDO Je Suis Un Homme!
    My second favorite is #7 Elie Saab Vetiver, followed in the third spot is the #1 Ivoire de Balmain. I think I smell a licorice in this and that makes it a tad harsh comparably.

I'm not surprised I like the Je Suis Un Homme as I made a point that the beginning smells very similar to my all time favorite Bois du Portugal. I fear that it becomes a skin scent too quickly. I can say that I won't buy it even though I like it. It just can't conquer my BdP! Nope!!

That #7 Saab Vetiver is real nice too. Certainly a comfortable wear. Has more lasting value than the ELDO.

After these disintegrate I'll put on #4 Prada Infusion 'Iris Eau de Parfum Absolue for a second opinion. That one captivated me and may be my favorite of the bunch. If it's as good the second time as i liked it the first time I'll be getting some for someone special.

Blog Entries

Thanks to everybody who participated for popcorn worthy entertainment. You are all troopers!
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it.
    Currently wearing: Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Basenotes Member

Yes it's official #4 is my favorite of all of them!
    I cannot wear it. Way too feminine for me. But it's so damn beautiful.

Prada Infusion d'Iris Eau de Parfum Absolue

Just...so...pretty

I did not expect to like a women's perfume to be my favorite, but then again, I like how women smell.

A woman I know will be wearing this sometime real soon!

Nice job Bavard.

Thanks a ton for including me in this fun exploration game...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7