Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which current formulation of classic fragrances still worth purchasing?

From what I heard more than often the reformulated versions of classics such as Azzaro Pour Homme are nowhere near the vintage versions. However, there should be some good reformulation that could match its predecessors. In your opinion, which of the new formulations of the classics is still worth purchasing? And your experience with the differences between them?
    Thanks.

Always be smelling

Default Re: Which current formulation of classic fragrances still worth purchasing?

Remember that Moss, SW, Birch Tar, Nitro Musks are not coming back. So none of the old classic is untouched.
    A few that are good enough are (some more than others):
    Azzaro PH .
    Guerlain Heritage EDT and Derby.
    VCA Tsar and PH.
    BelAmi/BAV.
    Egoiste.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Seaward by Herbalife

Default Re: Which current formulation of classic fragrances still worth purchasing?

The first 3 for men from Caron
    Pour un Homme
    Yatagan
    Le 3s Homme
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1921 - Chanel No 5 Cologne
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Remember that Moss, SW, Birch Tar, Nitro Musks are not coming back. So none of the old classic is untouched.
    A few that are good enough are (some more than others):
    Azzaro PH .
    Guerlain Heritage EDT and Derby.
    VCA Tsar and PH.
    BelAmi/BAV.
    Egoiste.
    All are good choices.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1921 - Chanel No 5 Cologne
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Or Blackby Morabito
    Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

Equipage
    Or Black
    Guerlain Vetiver
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SexySmells View Post
    Or Blackby Morabito
    +1.

Excellent reformulation in 2014.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

The current Aramis and Aramis Havana are still very close to their original vintage versions.

The three top Carons (Pour un homme, Yatagan, Troisieme homme), Chanel pour monsieur edt, Chanel Egoiste, Kouros.
    As others were saying, not as strong as they were, but still good and worth purchasing.

cacio

Creed Green Irish Tweed. It's the only classic fragrance in my collection that I'm happy to purchase the current formula of. Although, I may buy the current version of Rive Gauche pour Homme when I finish my tin can version. I'm still undecided.
    MY UK SPLITS (2019): HERE

Egoiste is the only one of the ones I've tried. While some others may smell ok they poof in 2 hours whoch is more performamce based

Always be smelling

I have not tried Aramis, but agree with you - Havana is very good.
    I think all of Aramis' Gentleman collection withstood the reformulation attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMan'sOldSpice View Post
    The current Aramis and Aramis Havana are still very close to their original vintage versions.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Seaward by Herbalife

I think all of Aramis' Gentleman collection withstood the reformulation attacks.
    came here to say this

Basenotes Plus

Agreed. Tuscany is still very good as well, and costs very little.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    The first 3 for men from Caron
    Pour un Homme
    Yatagan
    Le 3s Homme
    I'm happy to read this about Pour Un Homme! I have vintage and think it's great. I passed over the current formulation but may pick it up now, if I see it going for inexpensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by SexySmells View Post
    Or Blackby Morabito
    Yes, Or Black still does its thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEdestroyer77 View Post
    Egoiste is the only one of the ones I've tried. While some others may smell ok they poof in 2 hours whoch is more performamce based
    I've heard from a few people that Egoiste is solid in current formulation. Good to read this as well.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

I have not tried Aramis

I would say it depends on the lense you choose to view through. For instance I enjoy the current version of Antaeus but if you’re one to think the vintage was God’s gift to mankind and anything different is unacceptable then you’ll dislike the current formula.

Boucheron pour Homme EDP, Chevignon Brand for Men, Guerlain Homme Intense EDP, Sartorial, Tuscany Uomo Forte, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, Azzaro pour Homme L'Eau, Roger & Gallet Open, Duc de Vervins and Duc de Vervins L'Extreme- among others and also keeping in mind that some of these are admittedly quite recent scents but, in spite of their first release years, far closer to classic fragrance styles

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Another vote for Derby.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Here's my take:

Aramis classic *
    Aramis Havana
    Chanel Antaeus *
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Pour Monsieur - I've tried vintage and it's much more powdery than current, but current is a much better scent to my nose
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Dior Jules
    Hermes Bel Ami

(* vintage is longer lasting)
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I find current Aramis a bit too stinky.

If you've tried Cabochard, you can skip right past Aramis. It's far superior in every way.

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

TBH I think the current Derby and Aramis is pretty good, possibly even more crowd-pleasing than the vintage version.
    And yes, the three Caron are very nice.

Still worth sampling: Bandit, Bel Ami, Knize Ten, Futur

Also, if you have a lady friend: Tabac Blond, Fracas.
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

I think the current versions of Egoiste and Antaeus are absolutely worth purchasing. I recently ran out of vintage Bel Ami, and I reluctantly purchased a current bottle, and I was very pleasantly surprised. This one is very close to the original IMO.
    Currently wearing: Emperor by Parfums Vintage

I came here to agree about the Aramis line; I've found the original, Devin, and Tuscany to all be respectable reformulations. Drakkar Noir is much less mossy and leathery than it used to be, but a lot of people like the current version on its own merits and it's still a bestseller in the international market.

With that said OP, I'll just point out that there's a reason everyone who develops a long-term preference for classic style masculine fragrances in the end either goes vintage or modern niche. At the designer level the sales incentive simply isn't there for houses to not cut corners with ingredient sourcing. Your only exceptions are the absolute A-list houses who are very serious about stewardship of their legacy - your Chanels, Guerlains and Diors - and even with the best perfumers in the world overseeing these reformulations with a no-compromise attitude, compromises are still made nonetheless thanks to regulations.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I'll make it easier and name entire houses that do reformulations well.

Bogart
    Ted Lapidus
    Chanel
    Caron
    Van Cleef & Arpels
    Azzaro
    Cartier
    Estée Lauder/Clinique/Aramis

Everyone else so far is a mixed bag of good to barely passable
    oh look, I have a signature

Helmut Lang's Cuiron is an excellent representation of the original.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    I would say it depends on the lense you choose to view through. For instance I enjoy the current version of Antaeus but if you’re one to think the vintage was God’s gift to mankind and anything different is unacceptable then you’ll dislike the current formula.
    Yep- In my college days of 1982-86 I used cologne for the first time. Aramis classic...so smooth and good... The current version has a faint reminder of past greatness if you cut through what seems to be the current vinegar-sour-woody-trying-to-imitate vibe... Maybe try others?

Though I never tried vintage Derby, Rive Gauche or Antaeus, their current formulations are astounding. Caron Pour un Homme I think never changed and is superb. Their newer Pour un Homme L'Eau is just gorgeous and proof that you can successfully update a classic.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.

Derby
    Or Black
    Zino
    Azzaro PH
    Egoiste

via Tapatalk

Some obvious reformulations might be good for you and bad for someone else, or vice versa. You might even prefer the obvious reformulation. Also, many of us have avoided the latest formulations so we can only speak to vintage in some cases. It might be best to ask about the awful reformulations, and I'm sure there are some old threads on the subject. To me, Red for Men was among the worst, though some may enjoy the reformulation; the problem is that the reason to want to wear Red (in my case), which is the complexity, was gone, and I swapped off the reformulated bottle.

Egoiste
    Pour Monsieur EDT
    Antaeus
    Aramis
    Ralph Lauren Polo imo
    Habit Rouge
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Bel Ami