Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Default Parfums De Marly - I've Done A Complete U-Turn On This House

When I first started checking out their fragrances I must admit that I was impressed but not blown away. They have always had this designer tag. I could see why. I sort of forgot about them for a while. A few months back I revisited them and I am becoming a big fan. I have already purchased a bottle of Oajan and there are several others that I am seriously considering.

Sometimes we can get caught up in this niche/designer thing. I think PDM bridges that gap. Designer juice with a niche edge. Crowd pleasing but still a little different. Almost everything I have tried smells great and this is one house we can say doesn't suffer performance issues. Everything is between good to great performance wise. They are fast becoming one of my favorite houses.

As a final note I will add that heir packaging and bottles are to die for and must be some of if not the best in the business.

Anyone else changed their mind about PDM?
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Heritage (edt) - Guerlain
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino
    Currently wearing: Original Santal by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Parfums De Marly - I've Done A Complete U-Turn On This House

I thought they had solid offerings from the moment they were released and I tested them at Nordstrom. I think for me what originally held me up on purchasing was that I was focused on vintage and obscure things, and PdM smelled 'familiar'. I agree that their bottles are great! In all, solid house with solid offerings and great packaging. Happy to read you enjoy! Best wishes.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Have always loved the house from its first releases. Own the entire men's offerings.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I thought they had solid offerings from the moment they were released and I tested them at Nordstrom. I think for me what originally held me up on purchasing was that I was focused on vintage and obscure things, and PdM smelled 'familiar'. I agree that their bottles are great! In all, solid house with solid offerings and great packaging. Happy to read you enjoy! Best wishes.
    I'm with you all the way about focusing on vintage/obscure. I think I let other reviews of the house get into my head before I had made my own mind up. When I tried them again I was like "this stuff just smells great". Nothing groundbreaking but just lovely smelling fragrance. I mean there are times when you just don't feel like rocking the oud, wormwood, rock rose or tuberose. haha.....
    All Time Favorites
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have always loved the house from its first releases. Own the entire men's offerings.
    Got to be honest Hednic.....That doesn't really surprise me. It might take less time to list what you don't own!! hahahaha
    All Time Favorites
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

high-end clone house

It's nice to find a House you can get behind

For me, I find them to be a bit of a 'phoney baloney' outfit

I enjoyed Pegasus but after awhile it became too artificial smelling and there’s a note that screeches. Oajan however is wonderful. Of course it comes from their Arabian line, and to me it smells middle eastern without being cliche middle eastern ie incense, rose oud.

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    I mean there are times when you just don't feel like rocking the oud, wormwood, rock rose or tuberose. haha.....
    Burn the witch! Heresy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    It's nice to find a House you can get behind

For me, I find them to be a bit of a 'phoney baloney' outfit
    I don't buy into their back story if that's what you mean? But then again I don't buy into Creed's or many others.
    All Time Favorites
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Banned

I really want to like them. I love their presentation. However, almost all their offerings are just too sweet. Herod is good (far better than TV imo), but still too much of a gourmand scent for my tastes.

I own and enjoy Layton, performance is spectacular. Performance on Herod is sub par for me although it is my understanding it was reformulated a few years ago and the older stuff is much better
    Currently wearing: Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Quote Originally Posted by 7thDayAventus View Post
    I really want to like them. I love their presentation. However, almost all their offerings are just too sweet. Herod is good (far better than TV imo), but still too much of a gourmand scent for my tastes.
    I had that experience with Layton (original) drydown is so damn sweet, even DHI pushes my limits haha but is tolerable.

Surprisingly havent found 1 scent from this house i would consider as FB worthy.
    Currently wearing: Santal Blush by Tom Ford

not impressed with any of them aside from Herod. and that has been reformed to water compared to the original version. not sure why as this is supposed to be a niche house but shows they don't really care about the product.

I don't buy into their back story if that's what you mean? But then again I don't buy into Creed's or many others.
    No -- it's not really that. It's more of a lack of originality with the juices.

I tested about 10 of them recently and they all pretty much reminded me of other fragrances, i.e. a bit derivative although I liked Layton.

I'll get some samples and give them a proper wearing as I'm prone to kneejerk reactions

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    No -- it's not really that. It's more of a lack of originality with the juices.

I tested about 10 of them recently and they all pretty much reminded me of other fragrances, i.e. a bit derivative although I liked Layton.

I'll get some samples and give them a proper wearing as I'm prone to kneejerk reactions
    Oh no....I agree with you. I don't think they are at all original. I just think that they smell really good.
    All Time Favorites
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Basenotes Plus

First wearing of Herod I really enjoyed. In fact, I thought, "This is what I had hoped for with Tobacco Vanille". Subsequent wearings wore me out with aggressive sweetness... Have a sample of Layton and felt it had the exact same DNA and still really nice but way too sweet again. Although these are the only PdM I've smelled I get the same vibe from them as I do from the A*Men line- the same super loud base with minor tweaks for each release. Smells real nice for the first five to ten minutes but quickly becomes obnoxious. But that's just me- they do smell great, just maybe not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    First wearing of Herod I really enjoyed. In fact, I thought, "This is what I had hoped for with Tobacco Vanille". Subsequent wearings wore me out with aggressive sweetness... Have a sample of Layton and felt it had the exact same DNA and still really nice but way too sweet again. Although these are the only PdM I've smelled I get the same vibe from them as I do from the A*Men line- the same super loud base with minor tweaks for each release. Smells real nice for the first five to ten minutes but quickly becomes obnoxious. But that's just me- they do smell great, just maybe not for me.
    I really like the smell of Herod but it's the only PDM that doesn't last as long on me. I would say average.
    All Time Favorites
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Basenotes Junkie

I love PdM as well. I have Layton, Herod, Pegasus and Godolphin, and I want to get Percival and Layton Exclusif. I got into fragrances when I sampled Layton and just had to have it. That was my first experience with Niche fragrance, and my collection has grown exponentially since then.

To me, they're not super original, but everything smells good and gets great performance. Herod is a standout IMO. I have TV as well, and while TV gives me a more true tobacco scent, Herod is so well blended and smooth that I wear it 3-4 times before getting around to TV.

Basenotes Plus

"U-Turn"

Just a little jab - but a U-Turn would imply you went negative to positive or positive to negative, you went from basically 'like' to 'love'?
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

I really like the smell of Herod but it's the only PDM that doesn't last as long on me. I would say average.
    i'm not sure if it projects much, not a big deal personally, but i wore Herod yesterday and could smell it on myself all day long (vintage orange juice). the new version is gone long before that but is missing much of the richness too. shame they ruined the product that brought them a lot of popularity and speaks spades about the company.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    "U-Turn"

Just a little jab - but a U-Turn would imply you went negative to positive or positive to negative, you went from basically 'like' to 'love'?
    Okay okay. You're right!! I did turn my nose up a bit so I'm halfway there haha
    All Time Favorites
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

I also perceive them as expensive, overly synthetic 'clone' house. They don't really copy scents but I always get "I smelled this before" feeling.
    Most of their stuff I tried was Herod's derivative. I wouldn't be surprised if they were 100% synthetic.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

This house (and its offerings) is a genuine example of drawing a qualitative (not to mention financial) line in the sand and refusing to cross it.

It, along with the cookie-cutter likes of Montale and Mancera, ensure the death of the art of perfumery is afforded embrace.
    No live organism can continue for love to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

Quote Originally Posted by MELVCMS01 View Post
    Surprisingly havent found 1 scent from this house i would consider as FB worthy.
    I concur, most I've tried I thought were pleasant but not outstanding in any way.
    Maybe I need to try them again at some point in the future.

I didn’t think I’d be into PdM at first since I didn’t care for Pegasus or Herod. Then after sampling I found that I really liked Nisean and Habdan, enough to buy FB’s! The bottles are almost second to none, and I personally don’t find it to be a house of clones. I want to try Perceval soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    This house (and its offerings) is a genuine example of drawing a qualitative (not to mention financial) line in the sand and refusing to cross it.

It, along with the cookie-cutter likes of Montale and Mancera, ensure the death of the art of perfumery is afforded embrace.

spot on.
    Don't stank.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post

Lol,be a little more over dramatic please. As if your favorite houses haven’t copied previous creations going back all fhe way to eaux de colognes.

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    Lol,be a little more over dramatic please. As if your favorite houses haven’t copied previous creations going back all fhe way to eaux de colognes.
    This is very true. There are only so many smells you can create. Just like with music. After a period of time what you end up with is offshoots or variations of originals.
    All Time Favorites
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK