Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Mitsouko extrait....which are the best years to get?

I have a couple bottles of mitsouko extrait but they are definitely older but well preserved and truly amazing but I'm hesitant about buying some of the really old bottles I see on ebay as Mitsy is known not to age well unless it's been kept in ideal conditions and at the prices that are being asked, I don't want to end up with a bottle thats turned. I'm hearing to try to stay within the last 15 years but with all the various reforms, what are some of the miss years or batches to avoid....which bottles should I be trying to pin down? I have stuck primarily to the extraits but if there are recommendations on any certain time frame other variations I'm open to hearing about those as well
    Currently wearing: Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed

Default Re: Mitsouko extrait....which are the best years to get?

Hello Flmmkrz-

Buying vintage is always a gamble, but if you know what you are looking for and choose carefully, you can still get beautiful vintage perfume.

I'm not sure where you have read that you should limit yourself to bottles no older than 15 years and that Mitsouko extrait doesn't keep well. I don't hold with either of these assumptions. There are no specific years or batches to recommend for vintage Mitsouko extrait. Before 2000 and IFRA restrictions on oakmoss? I prefer my 1984 Mitsouko extrait to my 2002 extrait (although I still enjoy the newer bottle very much indeed) and I have and enjoy Guerlain extraits much older than either of these.

If you haven't already done so, read this excellent resource on buying vintage Guerlain:

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-perfumes.html

Then, shop carefully and buy a bottle in the best condition you can--full, sealed if possible, with the perfume still light gold and not dark brown.

Missing Oakmoss

I have a 1989 extrait that is divine, and an 80s EDT that is equally great in its category. The 80s and early 90s were good years for Guerlain. The link grayspoole provided will take you to an indispensable resource.

Basenotes Plus

I prefer mid 70s through at latest early 90s with the well kept late 70s through mid 80s being tdf. I would be very careful with the umbrella bottles, they seem to have a high rate of some degree of turning. If you are very careful you can get older bottles that are in great shape but for my purposes which is to wear I do find that somewhere around 74 to 88-ish (again, when visually good) are the sweet spot. I must say, Ive never had an actually turned Mitsy, but I've smelled a bunch that had lost their beauty (mostly in parapluies or bottles that sat on dressers for decades) I realize the story is that chypres, and especially Mitsy don't keep well but that hasn't been my experience except for poorly stored flacons, Avon, and certain unfortunate containers like the umbrella.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    ...shop carefully and buy a bottle in the best condition you can--full, sealed if possible, with the perfume still light gold and not dark brown.
    This is very important. If the perfume is dark brown, thick and syrupy, you can be sure that the base is all that remains. It won't "off" - it will be depleted. Some people aver that a dark extrait is simply a concentrated dose of the full extrait, but I have never, ever found this to be the case - instead, it means that the top and heart notes are gone.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    This is very important. If the perfume is dark brown, thick and syrupy, you can be sure that the base is all that remains. It won't "off" - it will be depleted. Some people aver that a dark extrait is simply a concentrated dose of the full extrait, but I have never, ever found this to be the case - instead, it means that the top and heart notes are gone.
    Exactly! I couldn't agree more. Shalimar can be pretty dark and smell good (though imo there's still a certain understand brown that is too old for Shalimar too) but dark Mitsy is just done. I've known a few people who had been experienced only with overly old Mitsouko who found out they quite liked or even loved it once presented with a good golden mossy bergamot peach beauty.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by theladymay View Post
    Exactly! I couldn't agree more. Shalimar can be pretty dark and smell good (though imo there's still a certain understand brown that is too old for Shalimar too) but dark Mitsy is just done. I've known a few people who had been experienced only with overly old Mitsouko who found out they quite liked or even loved it once presented with a good golden mossy bergamot peach beauty.
    Yes! Dark syrupy Mitsouko smells nothing like a golden full-bodied bottle. One is dead and the other is alive, full stop.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I prefer mid 70s through at latest early 90s with the well kept late 70s through mid 80s being tdf. I would be very careful with the umbrella bottles, they seem to have a high rate of some degree of turning. If you are very careful you can get older bottles that are in great shape but for my purposes which is to wear I do find that somewhere around 74 to 88-ish (again, when visually good) are the sweet spot. I must say, Ive never had an actually turned Mitsy, but I've smelled a bunch that had lost their beauty (mostly in parapluies or bottles that sat on dressers for decades) I realize the story is that chypres, and especially Mitsy don't keep well but that hasn't been my experience except for poorly stored flacons, Avon, and certain unfortunate containers like the umbrella.
    As an avid Avon collector, I find that 90% of turned Avon is stock bought and stored in bathrooms or dressers. If you hit up a listing of unsold Avon stored in their boxes (assuming no hot attic storage), it actually keeps pretty good. I've gotten some rather amazing 60's and 70's examples. Pardon the derailment. Back to Mitzy
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Timeless by Avon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hello Flmmkrz-

Buying vintage is always a gamble, but if you know what you are looking for and choose carefully, you can still get beautiful vintage perfume.

I'm not sure where you have read that you should limit yourself to bottles no older than 15 years and that Mitsouko extrait doesn't keep well. I don't hold with either of these assumptions. There are no specific years or batches to recommend for vintage Mitsouko extrait. Before 2000 and IFRA restrictions on oakmoss? I prefer my 1984 Mitsouko extrait to my 2002 extrait (although I still enjoy the newer bottle very much indeed) and I have and enjoy Guerlain extraits much older than either of these.

If you haven't already done so, read this excellent resource on buying vintage Guerlain:

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-perfumes.html

Then, shop carefully and buy a bottle in the best condition you can--full, sealed if possible, with the perfume still light gold and not dark brown.
    thank you for the link, I'm gonna pour thru that right now and thank you for the info relating to color very helpful!!! I was told about the 15 year limit by a guerlain group on facebook...they were just speaking generally, they are aware good bottles exist before that but they suggested to be safe that 15 years was about the limit before one was likely to begin turning if not put in ideal conditions.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    thank you both theladymay and Bonnette for your help!! this info is invaluable, I appreciate it

Missing Oakmoss

Best wishes on your quest for a fine vintage Mitsouko, flmmkrz!

Newest extrait is very good indeed, although really light on skin. I need to splash it almost EdT-style on me. Well preserved extrait of the golden-black boxed era has incredible depth though.