Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fragrance cull

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fragrance cull

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I am the lone outlier here on BN. I have zero interest in collecting, so I only have and keep scents that I wear continually. If I lose interest in something, I sell it.
    You are not alone. l'm not really comfortable with owning any more than 50 bottles/decants at one time. l try to operate a loose "one in, one out" policy (with varying success), & so l regularly sell or give away stuff l no longer need, although l often keep a few mls for reference. Currently l have 59 bottles, but one is earmarked for selling, & a few are close to being finished. My buying has slowed right down of late, & l'll probably only acquire one or two more bottles this year, so l expect less culling in future.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I cull cheapies I don't like and rarely wear (sometimes I just can't resist buying them). I keep stuff I like but rarely wear or deeply appreciate for historical reasons, etc.

Even as someone with collector-ish tendencies, keeping items I don't really appreciate seems like a waste of physical and more importantly mental space. I don't mind having a larger collection of items I rarely get to (not that my wardrobe is that large by some members' standards), but I don't like questionable stuff sitting on the fringe. It's like these items prevent be from having a good overarching picture of my collection's, um, raison d'etre I guess. Hard to explain.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

Basenotes Plus

I've sold quite a few: like LiveJazz I hate to have bottles I don't like or even don't love in my wardrobe. It's a jarring feeling when I'm contemplating my preciousessss. But financial guilt is also a major stimulus - get some of the cash back at least...

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I cull cheapies I don't like and rarely wear (sometimes I just can't resist buying them). I keep stuff I like but rarely wear or deeply appreciate for historical reasons, etc.

Even as someone with collector-ish tendencies, keeping items I don't really appreciate seems like a waste of physical and more importantly mental space. I don't mind having a larger collection of items I rarely get to (not that my wardrobe is that large by some members' standards), but I don't like questionable stuff sitting on the fringe. It's like these items prevent be from having a good overarching picture of my collection's, um, raison d'etre I guess. Hard to explain.
    I think my collection's "Raisins de Edsel" is to be as scatterbrained as my tastes.
    Avon to the left of me and Creed to my right.
    Here I am
    Stuck in the middle with Bleu (de Chanel)
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Timeless by Avon

In 40 years only once, moved to pure oud and did not use any colognes at all for more than 2 years, but I am back with a vengeance to my favorite vintage colognes. The oud business is full of lies and deception.
    I am glad that I did not sold too many of my cologne collection when I was into the oud stuff. And still have most of them now adding more but only vintages, there is nothing of that niche perfumery that will get my interest any time soon, way too expensive chemicals in all that niche crap.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Antaeus Sport Cologne
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

I have 700+ bottles and purge once or twice a year, as my tastes change. But I only get rid of things I am totally bored with and am sure I never want to smell again. If I still like it, even if I rarely wear it, it stays. My buying has slowed down a lot but will likely never stop.

Too much trouble to sell, unless it’s something super valuable, so I normally just give my stuff away.