Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Oils Vs Essential Oils Vs Concentrated Perfume Oils (Attars)

Hi, beautiful fragrance community and master perfumers

Please explain the differences between "Fragrance Oils Vs Essential Oils Vs Concentrated Perfume Oils (CPO)"

There are a lot of differences available at the internet "Fragrance Oils Vs Essential Oils" but what about the "Concentrated Perfume Oils or Attars", in which category we can put?

And most importantly, which oil we can use to make perfume (for daily use at the skin, clothes) or what kind of oils used by the perfume industry? Any of mentioned oils they use or these all are not for perfume making?

Thank you so much!

Default Re: Fragrance Oils Vs Essential Oils Vs Concentrated Perfume Oils (Attars)

Quote Originally Posted by rmnafeesas View Post
    Hi, beautiful fragrance community and master perfumers
    Please explain the differences between "Fragrance Oils Vs Essential Oils Vs Concentrated Perfume Oils (CPO)"
    There are a lot of differences available at the internet "Fragrance Oils Vs Essential Oils" but what about the "Concentrated Perfume Oils or Attars", in which category we can put?
    And most importantly, which oil we can use to make perfume (for daily use at the skin, clothes) or what kind of oils used by the perfume industry? Any of mentioned oils they use or these all are not for perfume making?
    Thank you so much!

The "perfume industry," is HUGE and uses ALL types of materials you could imagine.
    E.O. are supposed to be 100% natural.
    Fragrance oils and concentrated perfume oils are not 100% natural.

There are a lot of politics surrounding the safety of perfume materials,
    I am not a professional, I do not sell perfumes, so I do not concern myself with this.

In the end, there is no substitution for high quality natural or high quality, professionally made synthetic perfume materials.
    Always purchase your synthetic materials from well know, large, professional scent-chemist companies.
    Always purchase your natural materials from well known suppliers.

Speaking of REAL attars, Well... they are amazing, beautiful creations. A gift to world from India, a wonderful culture and craft, thousands of years old. India has GOOD reason to be PROUD of such creations.

But I would not call synthetically made "attars," Attars at all. Too many BUSINESS PEOPLE thinking about money $$$ making CRAP.
    The modern world, in all its technology can not surpass attar formulas that are 100`s of years old.

I believe you have a LOT of research to do.
    I want to help newbies, like me!
    Matt`s Youtube channel: we examine materials, make accords and simple perfumes and talk all things scent related.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpi...5IG9nbG20t-lIQ

Default Re: Fragrance Oils Vs Essential Oils Vs Concentrated Perfume Oils (Attars)

Also,
    there are laws which you must follow to sell your perfumes.
    You can not just use anything to make perfumes with.

Especially in Europe. Many many laws.
    I want to help newbies, like me!
    Matt`s Youtube channel: we examine materials, make accords and simple perfumes and talk all things scent related.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpi...5IG9nbG20t-lIQ

Thank you, for instance, forget the industrial/commercial production of perfumes, which oils should I blend for personal use? Fragrance Oils, Essential Oils or Concentrated Perfume Oils (Attars)?

Or again I can use all? If yes then Can I blend all, will it long last, projects well if I mix all (Some available notes from Fragrance Oils, some from Essential & Base of Attar etc.) with the help of other chemicals?

No plan for selling now, I am a beginner and once I will be mature enough how to create the great fragrances then, of course, I will replace the unlawful integrants.

And don't forget powdered fragrances. They are going to be bigger market soon.
    If you are just starting out stick to flavored edible oils, you can always use them in coffee if you decide to buy premade oil perfumes later.
    Do you stick to oils because you can't use alcohol, or avoiding denatured alcohol?

You can use all of them in a perfume, but the thing is it depends.

Fragrance Oil - An accord made up of aroma chemicals or naturals or both to create something to mimic a natural or create something that is not available in nature. You can find things like bay rum, cherry, chocolate fragrance oils. You can use these to create perfumes but it is not recommended because you do not know the formula and the producer suddenly might change the formula or discontinue the product. So it is better to make your own accords or use bases from the bigger houses rather than the generic fragrance oil.
    Essential oils are steam distilled from natural materials, like you have vetiver essential oil which is the roots of vetiver steam distilled. There are other forms of distillation that might be used here like solvent extraction or super critical extraction, these are usually not called essential oils and are called absolutes or have names based on their extraction method.
    Concentrated Perfume Oils - I have never heard this term before and I am not sure what it is
    Traditional Attars - Traditional attars are hyrdrodistilled. And the output from the distillation process is let into a substrate of sandalwood. Although now a days they use alternatives for sandalwood oil since it is so expensive and virtually extinct. They some times use other oils (I am not sure exactly what oils are used since the distiller I talked to was a little cagey about telling me exactly what they used as the base for the extraction) or they use a synthetic, the distiller I talked to told me a name but I did not properly understand it since the conversation was not in English, all I understood was phthalate, so I assume they use DEP, but I might be wrong and they could be using some other solvent. So if you get traditional attar it is fully natural, it is more new age it is in a synthetic base. As an additional note, traditional attars are expensive. There is no way you will get a traditional rose attar for $5-$10 per tola(around 12 ml). You can use these in perfumes with interesting effects.

So basically you can use all of them in perfumes, it just depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Thea in Fl View Post
    And don't forget powdered fragrances. They are going to be bigger market soon.
    If you are just starting out stick to flavored edible oils, you can always use them in coffee if you decide to buy premade oil perfumes later.
    Do you stick to oils because you can't use alcohol, or avoiding denatured alcohol?
    "Powdered fragrances"?

Actually in Dubai-UAE Oil based perfumes available widely, and good bases available like Oud, Amber, and woody etc. I love occidental perfumes but here hard to find that material (till now). I want to make my own blends which have my favorite notes and long lasting effects, projection etc. For Instance I am happy with my results then I will convert in spray perfumes. But main thing is blending, oils and their kinds, what I can use or what I cannot?. I found essential oils only for burning and not for the perfumes then I read we can use, I want to clear the way first, which oils I should buy, which blends well and which oils are for perfume making in real?

Quote Originally Posted by needaname View Post
    You can use all of them in a perfume, but the thing is it depends.

Fragrance Oil - An accord made up of aroma chemicals or naturals or both to create something to mimic a natural or create something that is not available in nature. You can find things like bay rum, cherry, chocolate fragrance oils. You can use these to create perfumes but it is not recommended because you do not know the formula and the producer suddenly might change the formula or discontinue the product. So it is better to make your own accords or use bases from the bigger houses rather than the generic fragrance oil.
    Essential oils are steam distilled from natural materials, like you have vetiver essential oil which is the roots of vetiver steam distilled. There are other forms of distillation that might be used here like solvent extraction or super critical extraction, these are usually not called essential oils and are called absolutes or have names based on their extraction method.
    Concentrated Perfume Oils - I have never heard this term before and I am not sure what it is
    Traditional Attars - Traditional attars are hyrdrodistilled. And the output from the distillation process is let into a substrate of sandalwood. Although now a days they use alternatives for sandalwood oil since it is so expensive and virtually extinct. They some times use other oils (I am not sure exactly what oils are used since the distiller I talked to was a little cagey about telling me exactly what they used as the base for the extraction) or they use a synthetic, the distiller I talked to told me a name but I did not properly understand it since the conversation was not in English, all I understood was phthalate, so I assume they use DEP, but I might be wrong and they could be using some other solvent. So if you get traditional attar it is fully natural, it is more new age it is in a synthetic base. As an additional note, traditional attars are expensive. There is no way you will get a traditional rose attar for $5-$10 per tola(around 12 ml). You can use these in perfumes with interesting effects.

So basically you can use all of them in perfumes, it just depends on what you are trying to achieve.
    Great Info, Thank you. Now at least I have a way that I can use what I can but better go with things which you will get later without any change.

Actually in Dubai-UAE Oil based perfumes available widely, and good bases available like Oud, Amber, and woody etc. I love occidental perfumes but here hard to find that material (till now). I want to make my own blends which have my favorite notes and long lasting effects, projection etc. For Instance I am happy with my results then I will convert in spray perfumes. But main thing is blending, oils and their kinds, what I can use or what I cannot?. I found essential oils only for burning and not for the perfumes then I read we can use, I want to clear the way first, which oils I should buy, which blends well and which oils are for perfume making in real?

so let say I want to make a high commercial level perfume at home....anything I should use or avoid? do the commercial level perfume actually use essential oils? or they use main fragrance oils and absolutes?
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by refael_sakura View Post
    so let say I want to make a high commercial level perfume at home....anything I should use or avoid? do the commercial level perfume actually use essential oils? or they use main fragrance oils and absolutes?
    Commercial Perfumes might use some bit of naturals, Like essential oils, CO2's and absolutes, but not very much...
    No, they would not ever use what we call "fragrance oils". I would define "fragrance oils", as those accords formulated for use by crafters, soapers, and candle makers. They might use bases and accords that they develop, though...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Fragrance oils they are made up of mostly synthetic materials, these oils should not be used on the body.
    Essential oils can be inhaled or applied to the skin. they can promote sleep and relaxation
    concentrated perfume oils the one that is used in perfumes. we can put that on our skin and clothes.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by varzay View Post
    Fragrance oils they are made up of mostly synthetic materials, these oils should not be used on the body.
    Please, could you delineate the differences between the molecule Linalool, as found in many naturals, like, Lavender, Rosewood, Basil, etc., and the molecule Linalool, that is refined in the laboratory?

You may use all scientific knowledge, what feelings you have about the differences, whether scientific, or not, what auras the naturals contain, that single molecules from the laboratory do not, etc... I await to be convinced that these molecules differ somehow.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by varzay View Post
    Essential oils can be inhaled or applied to the skin. they can promote sleep and relaxation
    concentrated perfume oils the one that is used in perfumes. we can put that on our skin and clothes.
    To put it more precisely:

Fragrance oils can be all synthetic ingredients, all essential oils or a mix of both. That's not what determines whether they are safe to use on the body. What makes the difference is what rules the formulator was following, based on why they thought people would use the product.

Some fragrance oils are made for use on skin (e.g. for use in soap) and meet the country of origin's legal safety standards for that kind of product. That means that they don't contain any ingredients that are legally prohibited for use on skin, and that they use both their synthetic ingredients and their natural ingredients at a safe dosage. Concentrated perfume oils are safe because they follow similar laws.

Others fragrance oils are made to be used only in candles or air fresheners, and don't meet the safety standards for use on skin. When people say 'don't use fragrance oils on skin,' they mean don't use this kind.

If a fragrance oil is meant for skin use then the manufacturer will provide documentation that says so and gives handling guidelines. If not even a Safety Data Sheet is available for a fragrance oil, I would assume it is not safe for use on skin.

Essential oils are sometimes safe to use on skin, and sometimes not. Some of them have soothing or medicinal effects, but some are allergenic, sensitizing (i.e. causing new allergies from over-exposure), caustic, poisonous, or carcinogenic. Many oils are safe at a low concentration but dangerous at a high concentration. Some essential oils are legally prohibited for use on skin, or legally limited to a low concentration, in some countries for safety reasons. This book is a good safety handbook for essential oils based on medical research.

thanks for the clarifications....yet...so now I completely am confused..... as for example got a bunch of fragrance oil from a perfumery manufacture....should I assume it is safe to use on skin? and what about other one? any way to know by the name of the product? how differ in smell ? or ingredients fragrance oils are? how do they differ than concentrated perfume oils?
    confused....
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

If your supplier is real perfumery manufacturer meaning it's on the supplier lists on this website. Creating perfume, perfumers apprentice, perfumer supply house etc. Then these materials are not fragrance oils they are bases, accords, aroma or reconstructions. They are not meant to be put on the skin but are meant to be put in perfume at the suggested levels, diluted and then sprayed on skin. If your product is a real perfumery material you can find it on The Good Scents Company website, see the manufacturers and/or be able to find out about it here. Between the supplier, the manufacturer and good scents and information from basenotes, you should be able to find SDS/safety/usage information.

Fragrance oils are made by different rules for different products like candles and soap. They are often suggested for use at lower levels like 1-2% where a perfumery base can be used at higher levels like 10%. Fragrance oils are just a made up name and they do not appear in any database. Fragrance oils are subject to change and it's very opaque to find out what is in them or to keep the content or quality consistent. Fragrance oils are just sold by a site online. It's very hard to find out who even actually manufactures them and many are knock-offs of other products and still not made by someone you can find or recognize or get in contact with. Many fragrance oils intended for candles or other applications have chemicals in them not approved for perfumery.

A concentrated perfume oil not sold by a vetted supplier is just a stronger fragrance oil. A concentrated perfume sold by creating a perfume, for example, is called a perfumery aroma and that means that it is not diluted to a lower level. Still follows the names of accords, aromas, bases, reconstructions and still is not a fragrance oil or perfume oil.

High-end commercial perfumes use high-end commercial perfume materials from commercial suppliers and manufacturers. They do use essential oils and especially for beginners, you can use normal eos. But perfumery eos are different. They are filtered, they have toxins or phototoxins removed, etc. they have a bit more effort for a consistent product that is safe. They do not use any fragrance oils at all. They do use accords, bases, aromas, reconstructions, moleculdes, absolutes, co2's.