Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    Good evening to all; .I found a bottle of Cerruti 1881, from which I put the following photos: It seems to me already with a few years; it should be considered vintage? Will it be better than the current formula?I have never tested Cerruti 1881, so,I do not know if the current formula is good ; I will appreciate some opinions from you,thanks in advance.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]91203[/ATTACH] ;cerruti 2-1881.jpg ;cerruti 3 -1881.jpg ;cerruti 4-1881jpg.jpg ; ;cerruti 5-1881.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    246,503

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    Not familiar with what's out there now, but the vintage is very good IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    I don't know. The current stuff is good to my nose but in most cases vintage is a cut above as long as it's been stored ok.
    I haven't actually seen a bottle that wasn't clear with clear liquid ( the bottle of 1881 Amber I have is more like that colour as is the liquid) so I guess that one is quite a few years old.
    I suggest trying it side by side with what's available to test now and reporting back, would be interesting

  4. #4
    Dependent Roky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Heilbronx
    Posts
    1,828

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    The top notes of this one can fade quite a bit, so I'd be careful with vintage stuff, as recent one is pretty decent - but it's just me.
    I own a vintage one and prefer it to the current, but only in the very late drydown. I think the woody/mossy/musk notes feel a slight bit more nuanced - but no big thing, to be honest. Maybe even a placebo thing ...

  5. #5
    Dependent Man Of The World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Essex - But born & bred in good old East London
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    Yes....I definitely think that is the older stuff. I think the newer juice is much lighter.
    My All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Rive Gauche - YSL
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Musc Ravageur - Frederic Malle
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois Du Portugal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    1962 - Floris
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

  6. #6

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roky View Post
    The top notes of this one can fade quite a bit, so I'd be careful with vintage stuff, as recent one is pretty decent - but it's just me.
    I own a vintage one and prefer it to the current, but only in the very late drydown. I think the woody/mossy/musk notes feel a slight bit more nuanced - but no big thing, to be honest. Maybe even a placebo thing ...
    Thank you for your opinion; I also have some fear that the scent is oxidized, and since the current formutation is good and very inexpensive (16 €/100ml), it may not be a good idea to risk purchasing a possible altered item.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    Quote Originally Posted by ckampus View Post
    Thank you for your opinion; I also have some fear that the scent is oxidized, and since the current formutation is good and very inexpensive (16 €/100ml), it may not be a good idea to risk purchasing a possible altered item.
    16 euros is a bargain. It's a good scent in current formulation and very different to the usual modern designer stuff and also to old school powerhouse scents.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    I must have bought one of the earliest bottles that was from a different company (mine is Coty), and it's quite strong and seems right, but I haven't tried one from Parfums Cerruti. Apparently mine is from 2005 or later:

    https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Business-Move

  9. #9
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    I bought a vintage. It was off, top notes gone and a bit rancid. Lol. Be careful, unless its dirt cheap and you just wanna gamble. The new stuff is really pretty good and smells the same just a bit less deep.

  10. #10
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    2,066
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    Most light florals run a risk of going stale in top notes. That juice is very dark, so either it originally was that dark or somebody cooked this stuff in an attic. Mine is way lighter.
    oh look, I have a signature

  11. #11
    Basenotes Junkie Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    544

    Default Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    No risk of oxidation because it is a spray. Current formula by Coty is very good.
    Your bottle is vintage (parfums cerruti/unilever). Deep vintage/first editions 1881 sports full name (nino cerruti) on the side of the bottle and on front of the box which also sports the Cerruti crest.
    I had a vintage with same colour as yours.
    You've found a great bottle, there


    Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

  12. #12
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Land of the Chypre
    Posts
    9,389

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    Would be very keen to hear how this smells - do let us know OP.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    No risk of oxidation because it is a spray. Current formula by Coty is very good.
    Your bottle is vintage (parfums cerruti/unilever). Deep vintage/first editions 1881 sports full name (nino cerruti) on the side of the bottle and on front of the box which also sports the Cerruti crest.
    I had a vintage with same colour as yours.
    You've found a great bottle, there


    Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your help; your bottle of Cerruti 1881, is it from the Unilever era or from Coty? According to some posts,1881 has a similar smell to Boucheron pour homme, which I have EDT and EDP and I like very much, is it worth buying it? Thanks for your help. Greetings.

  14. #14
    Basenotes Junkie Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    544

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    Quote Originally Posted by ckampus View Post
    Thank you for your help; your bottle of Cerruti 1881, is it from the Unilever era or from Coty? According to some posts,1881 has a similar smell to Boucheron pour homme, which I have EDT and EDP and I like very much, is it worth buying it? Thanks for your help. Greetings.
    You're welcome. Mine was Unilever. The one I have now is Coty.
    The Unilever was great. A bit fuller and deeper, but the Coty is very good too and I like it a lot. I haven't tried Boucheron, actually, so can't say.
    But if the price is right, then why not.


    Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    You're welcome. Mine was Unilever. The one I have now is Coty.
    The Unilever was great. A bit fuller and deeper, but the Coty is very good too and I like it a lot. I haven't tried Boucheron, actually, so can't say.
    But if the price is right, then why not.


    Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    The price is practically the same;16,50€ with postage this Unilever, 16,70€ + postage, Coty, bought at Notino here in Portugal, should I choose Unilever?Thanks.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Junkie Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    544

    Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

    Quote Originally Posted by ckampus View Post
    The price is practically the same;16,50€ with postage this Unilever, 16,70€ + postage, Coty, bought at Notino here in Portugal, should I choose Unilever?Thanks.
    For 16,70€ the Unilever? Definately!


    Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Similar Threads

  1. Cerruti 1881
    By China-Rising in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 9th March 2016, 12:31 AM
  2. Cerruti 1881
    By lovingthealien in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16th January 2012, 06:12 PM
  3. Cerruti 1881 Black
    By scentimus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th December 2008, 03:47 AM
  4. Cerruti 1881!!!
    By sniff in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th June 2008, 02:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000