Code of Conduct

Default Cerruti 1881 vintage?

Good evening to all; .I found a bottle of Cerruti 1881, from which I put the following photos: It seems to me already with a few years; it should be considered vintage? Will it be better than the current formula?I have never tested Cerruti 1881, so,I do not know if the current formula is good ; I will appreciate some opinions from you,thanks in advance.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]91203[/ATTACH] ;cerruti 2-1881.jpg ;cerruti 3 -1881.jpg ;cerruti 4-1881jpg.jpg ; ;cerruti 5-1881.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Cerruti 1881 vintage?

Not familiar with what's out there now, but the vintage is very good IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't know. The current stuff is good to my nose but in most cases vintage is a cut above as long as it's been stored ok.
    I haven't actually seen a bottle that wasn't clear with clear liquid ( the bottle of 1881 Amber I have is more like that colour as is the liquid) so I guess that one is quite a few years old.
    I suggest trying it side by side with what's available to test now and reporting back, would be interesting

The top notes of this one can fade quite a bit, so I'd be careful with vintage stuff, as recent one is pretty decent - but it's just me.
    I own a vintage one and prefer it to the current, but only in the very late drydown. I think the woody/mossy/musk notes feel a slight bit more nuanced - but no big thing, to be honest. Maybe even a placebo thing ...

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Yes....I definitely think that is the older stuff. I think the newer juice is much lighter.
    My All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Rive Gauche - YSL
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Musc Ravageur - Frederic Malle
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois Du Portugal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    1962 - Floris
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Roky View Post
    The top notes of this one can fade quite a bit, so I'd be careful with vintage stuff, as recent one is pretty decent - but it's just me.
    I own a vintage one and prefer it to the current, but only in the very late drydown. I think the woody/mossy/musk notes feel a slight bit more nuanced - but no big thing, to be honest. Maybe even a placebo thing ...
    Thank you for your opinion; I also have some fear that the scent is oxidized, and since the current formutation is good and very inexpensive (16 €/100ml), it may not be a good idea to risk purchasing a possible altered item.

Quote Originally Posted by ckampus View Post
    Thank you for your opinion; I also have some fear that the scent is oxidized, and since the current formutation is good and very inexpensive (16 €/100ml), it may not be a good idea to risk purchasing a possible altered item.
    16 euros is a bargain. It's a good scent in current formulation and very different to the usual modern designer stuff and also to old school powerhouse scents.

I must have bought one of the earliest bottles that was from a different company (mine is Coty), and it's quite strong and seems right, but I haven't tried one from Parfums Cerruti. Apparently mine is from 2005 or later:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Business-Move

Basenotes Junkie

I bought a vintage. It was off, top notes gone and a bit rancid. Lol. Be careful, unless its dirt cheap and you just wanna gamble. The new stuff is really pretty good and smells the same just a bit less deep.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Most light florals run a risk of going stale in top notes. That juice is very dark, so either it originally was that dark or somebody cooked this stuff in an attic. Mine is way lighter.
    oh look, I have a signature

Default Cerruti 1881 vintage?

No risk of oxidation because it is a spray. Current formula by Coty is very good.
    Your bottle is vintage (parfums cerruti/unilever). Deep vintage/first editions 1881 sports full name (nino cerruti) on the side of the bottle and on front of the box which also sports the Cerruti crest.
    I had a vintage with same colour as yours.
    You've found a great bottle, there

Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Would be very keen to hear how this smells - do let us know OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    No risk of oxidation because it is a spray. Current formula by Coty is very good.
    Your bottle is vintage (parfums cerruti/unilever). Deep vintage/first editions 1881 sports full name (nino cerruti) on the side of the bottle and on front of the box which also sports the Cerruti crest.
    I had a vintage with same colour as yours.
    You've found a great bottle, there

Thank you for your help; your bottle of Cerruti 1881, is it from the Unilever era or from Coty? According to some posts,1881 has a similar smell to Boucheron pour homme, which I have EDT and EDP and I like very much, is it worth buying it? Thanks for your help. Greetings.

Thank you for your help; your bottle of Cerruti 1881, is it from the Unilever era or from Coty? According to some posts,1881 has a similar smell to Boucheron pour homme, which I have EDT and EDP and I like very much, is it worth buying it? Thanks for your help. Greetings.
    You're welcome. Mine was Unilever. The one I have now is Coty.
    The Unilever was great. A bit fuller and deeper, but the Coty is very good too and I like it a lot. I haven't tried Boucheron, actually, so can't say.
    But if the price is right, then why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    You're welcome. Mine was Unilever. The one I have now is Coty.
    The Unilever was great. A bit fuller and deeper, but the Coty is very good too and I like it a lot. I haven't tried Boucheron, actually, so can't say.
    But if the price is right, then why not.

The price is practically the same;16,50€ with postage this Unilever, 16,70€ + postage, Coty, bought at Notino here in Portugal, should I choose Unilever?Thanks.

The price is practically the same;16,50€ with postage this Unilever, 16,70€ + postage, Coty, bought at Notino here in Portugal, should I choose Unilever?Thanks.
    For 16,70€ the Unilever? Definately!