Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Pine notes are due for a comeback

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    Bring on the conifers. Following this thread with interest.
    +1 Zagorsk.
    Would love to try Norne sometime; sounds my kind of thing.

Eloge du Traitre, perhaps (I'm not keen on it so far).
    I also can't stand the dried fruit notes in Fille en Aiguilles.
    I wish I could smell the juniper, pine, fir balsam and leather in Bottega Veneta p H EdT, but I must be anosmic, for it smells of almost nothing to me when I've sampled it.
    I've sampled Eloge before and I remember liking it except for the musky base, which was a bit too dirty for me. I'm with you on the Bottega Veneta. It smelled very flat to me when I tried it. I remember smelling pine, but more the car-freshener variety that gives pine a bad name.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    Itasca (Lubin, 2010).

Recommended.
    HIGHLY!! One of my favorite scents - a coniferous, resinous vetiver, intertwined with.... fragrant tea notes. It's just beautiful. Mandatory experience for all perfumistas.

Pine is what I long for and look for virtually all of the time in my fragrance choices. Here are my some of my favorites. Fir absolute is "absolutely" my favorite note of all time. Odysseusm from the Coneheads group here on Basenotes is a great source for coniferous fragrance input and has helped me out in the past in my searches.

Norne by Slumberhouse: Obviously one of the true conifer classics! It hits all of the marks.

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens: This fragrance moves me from the beautiful conifer note in the opening to the Christmas spices, it makes me very happy.

Good Fir 11 by Krigler: An amazing clear pine note that smells like a pine alcoholic beverage at first and then transitions into pine scented Smarties candies...the American version of Smarties not the British version.

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford: Beautiful coniferous cypress note.

Cypres Musc by Creed: Another beautiful cypress note with a strong soapy aspect. Smells like a cypress bough covered in soap.

Blood Cedar by Heretic Parfums: This fragrance is a coniferous beauty! It has a sharp, sparkling pine/fir note that is beautiful! Those looking for an amazing pine fragrance should get at least a sample of this beauty...

Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors: Beautiful Douglas Fir note in the opening that changes to a sweet strawberry, but as Odysseusm pointed out, it almost smells like the jamminess of fir balsam as much as it does like strawberry. This really is a beautiful coniferous fragrance.

Bois Marocain by Tom Ford: Beautiful coniferous note especially in the opening. This comes from Thuya wood which is a type of cypress. I think it smells very nice.

Fou d' Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur: This is subtle, but has a nice conifer presence.

Arboretum by Le Prince Jardinier: I really love this one. It's sort of a mossy green smell to it, but it's tinged with coniferous goodness.

Arso by Profumum: A very nice, clear pine note in the opening. Dry's down a little more smoky leathery vibe, but still a nice coniferous presence as well.

Polo by Ralph Lauren: The original was much more pine centric, but I still get a pine smell from it. Interestingly it's more in the vapor trail of the current version when someone else is wearing it than when I wear it anymore.

Vikt by Slumberhouse: Has a licorice vibe overall, but also has a nice coniferous vibe as well. Very nice stuff...

1962 by Floris: Beautiful cypress note after an interesting floral/citrus opening.

Grev by Slumberhouse: Atmospheric, ozonic vibe with a hint of conifer. Interesting, but refreshing. Worth a sample to see what you think.

Vert d' Encens by Tom Ford: Very sweet from the heliotrope, but there is a nice conifer in the opening.

Dependent

Nice list! I own 11 of these and concur with your choices. :-)

I do not own Good Fir 11 by Krigler but just went to their website. $865 for 100ml, and samples not available. Good lord. Is it really, REALLY good?

User of Toilet Water

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Oooooooh, I'd like to try me some of this. Will have to remember this one in my online shopping searches.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScentMemory View Post
    This sounds fantastic! Definitely under-the-radar to me. I wish they had some North American stockists.
    It seems like a perfect line for Luckyscent to carry, but in the meantime the house does ship internationally. I highly recommend Turkish Leather, Ayothaya, and Morah.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Nice list! I own 11 of these and concur with your choices. :-)

I do not own Good Fir 11 by Krigler but just went to their website. $865 for 100ml, and samples not available. Good lord. Is it really, REALLY good?
    I love it! But, you will want to sample it. Some have said that it smells like cat p!$$ in the opening, but I think it smells more of a fragrance that's been aged like an alcoholic beverage. Anyway, I'd call Krigler and see if they have some samples available. I'm glad to hear it's available again because it's been vaulted for several years...

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    Pine is what I long for and look for virtually all of the time in my fragrance choices. Here are my some of my favorites. Fir absolute is "absolutely" my favorite note of all time. Odysseusm from the Coneheads group here on Basenotes is a great source for coniferous fragrance input and has helped me out in the past in my searches.

Norne by Slumberhouse: Obviously one of the true conifer classics! It hits all of the marks.

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens: This fragrance moves me from the beautiful conifer note in the opening to the Christmas spices, it makes me very happy.

Good Fir 11 by Krigler: An amazing clear pine note that smells like a pine alcoholic beverage at first and then transitions into pine scented Smarties candies...the American version of Smarties not the British version.

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford: Beautiful coniferous cypress note.

Cypres Musc by Creed: Another beautiful cypress note with a strong soapy aspect. Smells like a cypress bough covered in soap.

Blood Cedar by Heretic Parfums: This fragrance is a coniferous beauty! It has a sharp, sparkling pine/fir note that is beautiful! Those looking for an amazing pine fragrance should get at least a sample of this beauty...

Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors: Beautiful Douglas Fir note in the opening that changes to a sweet strawberry, but as Odysseusm pointed out, it almost smells like the jamminess of fir balsam as much as it does like strawberry. This really is a beautiful coniferous fragrance.

Bois Marocain by Tom Ford: Beautiful coniferous note especially in the opening. This comes from Thuya wood which is a type of cypress. I think it smells very nice.

Fou d' Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur: This is subtle, but has a nice conifer presence.

Arboretum by Le Prince Jardinier: I really love this one. It's sort of a mossy green smell to it, but it's tinged with coniferous goodness.

Arso by Profumum: A very nice, clear pine note in the opening. Dry's down a little more smoky leathery vibe, but still a nice coniferous presence as well.

Polo by Ralph Lauren: The original was much more pine centric, but I still get a pine smell from it. Interestingly it's more in the vapor trail of the current version when someone else is wearing it than when I wear it anymore.

Vikt by Slumberhouse: Has a licorice vibe overall, but also has a nice coniferous vibe as well. Very nice stuff...

1962 by Floris: Beautiful cypress note after an interesting floral/citrus opening.

Grev by Slumberhouse: Atmospheric, ozonic vibe with a hint of conifer. Interesting, but refreshing. Worth a sample to see what you think.

Vert d' Encens by Tom Ford: Very sweet from the heliotrope, but there is a nice conifer in the opening.
    Great list, thanks! I've tried several of these but others are going on my to-sample list, especially Vikt. Conifers AND licorice?! Yes, please. And yeah, fresh fir balsam is one of the greatest things I've ever smelled. A few years ago I helped stack some freshly cut fir logs and got the sap on my hands. I couldn't stop sniffing and raving about how good it smelled. My friends kept giving me funny looks. :P

Basenotes Member

Great post and I have definitely added fragrances to my test list!

I'd just like to add (don't think I saw it mentioned) that Kyoto from CdG had a wonderful light pine (guessing from the cypress oil) note that I could get lost in... The scent just seemed a bit weak and didn't last long at all however.

Thank you again for the post! Pine forever!!
    Currently wearing: 07 Tanoke by Odin New York

Maybe it isn't really "Niche", but "Frasier Fir" by Thymes is actually pretty nice! (To me, anyway.)
    I would say it's a pretty "realistic" Christmas Tree scent. I've been thinking about getting at least one of the Frasier Fir candles for the Holidays. I think they have soap and hand cream in the scent too.300522575000.jpg
    Last edited by LadyDragonFire; 11th November 2018 at 01:07 AM.

My favorite is Woodcut by Olympic Orchids
    Smells like fresh cut trees
    th (9).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Pine never left IMO.

I agree...it never left and will always be the major contributor to my wardrobe even if I have to start making my own fragrances. But, based on the industry it appears that it will always be around and I'm very grateful for that!

I grew up next to a pine forest in Wellington, N.Z. - used to play in there as a kid and it 'shifted' depending on the season, whether the trees were 'bleeding' sap etc.

Personal faves:

Pino Sylvestre - oldie but goody.
    Fou d'Absinthe - sort of a more 'wintry' mood, cool, coastal.
    Filles en Aiguilles - deep inside, sap at the base of the tree, 'warming'.
    Granville - more of an overall cool herbal 'garrigue' vibe but a hint of pine in there if you look for it
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; Yesterday at 06:43 AM.
    ďAnti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'Ē
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by ScentMemory View Post
    What are your thoughts on the newest formulation of Loewe? Opinions seem to vary on whether it's still good in the post-oakmoss era.
    With apologies for the belated reply, did not have any chance to significantly test the recent (possibly reformulated?) Loewe para Hombre yet and thus not really qualified to have any reliable opinion about any oakmoss content or the lack thereof
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    With apologies for the belated reply, did not have any chance to significantly test the recent (possibly reformulated?) Loewe para Hombre yet and thus not really qualified to have any reliable opinion about any oakmoss content or the lack thereof
    Hey Ken, no apology necessary. Thanks for getting back to me. Iíll have to see if I can hunt down a sample.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    Maybe it isn't really "Niche", but "Frasier Fir" by Thymes is actually pretty nice! (To me, anyway.)
    I would say it's a pretty "realistic" Christmas Tree scent. I've been thinking about getting at least one of the Frasier Fir candles for the Holidays. I think they have soap and hand cream in the scent too.300522575000.jpg
    Love the shape of the candle!

Thanks for all the great recs and analysis, everyone. Plenty Iím excited to test now. As one poster said, pine seems fairly well-repíd in niche but could use a revival in designer.