Code of Conduct
    Dependent

Default Be wary of the hype about this Polo green clone (Classic Match)

There is a Polo green knockoff/clone sold at Walmart called Classic Match Polo. There have been threads about it in the past, and it gets a lot of praise and hype both on here and Fragrantica about it being a tremendous Polo clone, very similar to the vintage juice, better than the current formulation, great performance, yadda, yadda.
    I went with high hopes today and got a bottle. Like the subject line says... be careful of the hype. Mine smells nothing like the vintage and is not nearly as good as the current formulation. I knew it was too good to be true. Will be returning it (hey, $8 is $8) and be quite content with my current real Polo green.
    Just a head's up, though I am happy for the peeps that have gotten this and are thrilled with it. The bottle I got sucks, believe me.

Default Re: Be wary of the hype about this Polo green clone (Classic Match)

I never jumped on the clone bandwagon, I’m happy with my current 2017 Polo Green bottle as well masculine as ever smells great. Thanks for the heads up, I do however have Aqua Di Parma Colonia Club which gets compared to Polo with a fresher take. Still need to wear it but won’t be going into it looking for similarities.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I never jumped on the clone bandwagon, I’m happy with my current 2017 Polo Green bottle as well masculine as ever smells great. Thanks for the heads up, I do however have Aqua Di Parma Colonia Club which gets compared to Polo with a fresher take. Still need to wear it but won’t be going into it looking for similarities.
    I know there are some good clones out there, because I have CDNI, and think it is an excellent, affordable copy of Aventus.
    But now due to this total failure with the Classic Match Polo clone, after all the hype I read, I will probably never try another knockoff.
    Just got lucky with the CDNI, apparently.

You still can find good cosmair or even Warner of polo on eBay for a lot less than is the current version in stores.
    Oh, and Aqua Di Parma Colonia Club smells nothing like polo, it is some kind of aquatic lavender try to be woody concoction if that makes any sense.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Antaeus Sport Cologne
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    You still can find good cosmair or even Warner of polo on eBay for a lot less than is the current version in stores.
    Always best to stick with the original and not an "imitation" scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Just get the original vintage. It was such a popular iconic fragrance back then - they sold by truckloads. Keep an eye out - one or 2 will pop up on eBay every now and then. And if you believe the hype you read on Fragrantica, you’re a bigger fool than you thought and fully deserved that crappy bottle of cloned juice.

Bigsteve, I've long said the same thing about the Classic Match Polo... even the much-maligned current Ralph Lauren formula is much better executed. Unfortunately I think the hype for the Classic Match version will never really die, as it's not quite bad enough to be out-and-out awful, and people can't resist the idea throwing vintage Polo in the cart for $8 while shopping at Walmart.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Just get the original vintage. It was such a popular iconic fragrance back then - they sold by truckloads. Keep an eye out - one or 2 will pop up on eBay every now and then. And if you believe the hype you read on Fragrantica, you’re a bigger fool than you thought and fully deserved that crappy bottle of cloned juice.
    Oh yes, there is way too much garbage hype about clones, I hate Creed in general the only frag I like from them and think is worth what it cost is Bois Du Portugal, and all that Aventus crap is way too much for me, I have try samples of few of the most talked clones of Aventus just out of curiosity the ones that people swear is 100% like Aventus and cannot believe what kind of chemical mess they say smells like Aventus, if you like Aventus just save some money and buy what you like. Don’t try to convince yourself that 30 $ crap is same as pretty well done fragrance like Aventus. From the many clones I have try all out of curiosity have only one that I actually own Dakar from al rehab it is very well done and it is the closest thing to original vintage Drakkar Noir much closer from what now is in stores.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum

Basenotes Junkie

I love Classic Match Green. You are right, it is not Polo Green. Either vintage or new formula. It is definatly in the same family though. Look at it as a stand alone scent, and for 8 dollars I think it is exquisite. As my bottle ages, it's getting a tad bit of sweetness from something in the drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Will be returning it (hey, $8 is $8) and be quite content with my current real Polo green.
    Why? It's your fault. Suck it up and own it.
    No live organism can continue for love to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

I purchased a bottle of Classic Match Polo based upon discussions on here, and I have to admit I really like it. It does smell similar to vintage Polo Green or others from that era (someone compared it to vintage Quorum and I get that as well). It is a bit rough around the opening, but once it settles down it really smells great and does last a long time. Of course if you're wanting vintage Polo you should probably just look out for that one.

Dependent

Guys... let me be clear. The bottle I got is NOTHING like Polo green, either vintage or current. It is absolutely nothing like Quorum either.
    I can't even describe the scent, in terms of another frag, or any smell of *anything* I have ever encountered.
    Like I said before, I'm glad some peeps have gotten good bottles and like the stuff. But I guarantee mine is not a decent scent of any sort.

Diamondflame and AnthonyG, about your snarky comments: Guess I'm just not as smart as you guys

"It is easy to be brave from a safe distance" (Aesop)
    Last edited by bigsteve; 9th November 2018 at 09:42 PM.

I just picked up both Green and Crest on Ebay, rather inexpensively too. No need to buy generic Green.

I have try samples of few of the most talked clones of Aventus just out of curiosity the ones that people swear is 100% like Aventus and cannot believe what kind of chemical mess they say smells like Aventus, if you like Aventus just save some money and buy what you like. Don’t try to convince yourself that 30 $ crap is same as pretty well done fragrance like Aventus.
    +1 All the way. Just give some time and purchase the real thing

There is one exception for me -- Gorse by Laboratory Perfumes smells identical to VIW but costs a third of the price. It would be dumb to buy the Creed

Oh, and Aqua Di Parma Colonia Club smells nothing like polo, it is some kind of aquatic lavender try to be woody concoction if that makes any sense.
    All very good points.

And yes, ADP Colonia Club smell NOTHING like Polo Green. Colonia Club is a super strong, super synthetic, scratchy blast of pure mint over generic woods and nothing else.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Classic Match is 16 dollars of Polo top and mid notes for 8 dollars, and lacking 50 dollars of real Polo heart and base notes. It is what it is!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Stetson Fresh by Stetson

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Classic Match is 16 dollars of Polo top and mid notes for 8 dollars, and lacking 50 dollars of real Polo heart and base notes. It is what it is!
    i got on ebay for 16 $ shipping included few months back around 80% full of the 4 oz. spray bottle of earlier cosmair version with the 3 digit batch from around mid to late 80s and smells amazing compare to the chemical mess now in stores.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

i got on ebay for 16 $ shipping included few months back around 80% full of the 4 oz. spray bottle of earlier cosmair version with the 3 digit batch from around mid to late 80s and smells amazing compare to the chemical mess now in stores.
    Now that is a good deal!!!

OK - It's a steal!!!

I too heard great things about Classic Match Polo.
    When I tried it out in the store, the top notes smelled like oregano.
    It didn't smell too pleasant to me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I think that may actually be how Classic Match "fakes the green" on the cheap, with low-grade oil of oregano. Retail bulk price around 400 bucks for 5 pounds. One can make a lot of Classic Match with that. Good nose, there!

The big diff for me is the "green" accord (herbaceous, not balsamic). It's beautiful, complex, balanced, and clearly thought out in Polo. Lasts forever on paper. And it is almost gone in Classic Match.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Maybe that's what I'm smelling that I don't like. Fortunately, this is weak juice and that scent doesn't last long.