Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: EO Perfume blends - Fougere, Chypre, & Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by nicotiro View Post
    ok nice. everyone can just go ahead and dog pile my thread and tell me my formulas are shit cos i use some oil. not much different from any "fragrance oil" others use with much praise. nice place.
    If you like what you make, then who cares?

The main problem with fragrance oils is you don't know what you're putting in your blend, and who knows when it will be reformulated from the supplier?

It's best to work with BASES, not FOs, that are from reputable suppliers (fragrance houses, suppliers) who have SDS documents and at least offer some form of quality assurance and traceability.

You can make your own floral reconstitutions based of GCMS studies of the oils and absolutes for a fraction of the cost of the natural, and it will smell miles beyond a FO.

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    If you like what you make, then who cares?

The main problem with fragrance oils is you don't know what you're putting in your blend, and who knows when it will be reformulated from the supplier?

It's best to work with BASES, not FOs, that are from reputable suppliers (fragrance houses, suppliers) who have SDS documents and at least offer some form of quality assurance and traceability.

You can make your own floral reconstitutions based of GCMS studies of the oils and absolutes for a fraction of the cost of the natural, and it will smell miles beyond a FO.
    the problem here is everyone dissing woolzies oil HAS NEVER SMELLED IT and they continue to dog pile and harp on and on and on about it on my shared formulas thread, for what purpose? To dismiss my shared formulas. To decrease the value of my formulas. To dismiss me as a lesser beginner perfumer than anyone else who uses, Ive read people here using strange fragrance oils from ebay and other people come on their thread and praise them to high heavens. so i am at a loss as to why i am being constantly attacked for purchasing cheap commercial essential oil that is not fake, is standardized, can be considered a natural base, and purchased on a whim. why not go to paul kilers thread he started specifically to dismiss woolzies product that he has never smelled, after learning about it from my thread.
    why dont you guys just go there and talk about how shitty and offensive it is to purchase essential oils from the mall.

meanwhile no one has tried any of these formulas with their oils but they are so fast to dismiss it because i bought oil from the mall.

im tfoh.

Sorry for your frustration, nicotiro.

Everyone I've come into contact with on this forum has been nothing but helpful and generous when I've asked even the dumbest questions. If people are pooh-poohing materials you use, or where you buy them, or what you paid, it's most likely based on general experience rather than just having fun crapping on you.

Everyone here has the same interests—learning more about making perfume. Learning better ways to make perfume. Nobody here is in the business of belittling anyone else. Thick skin is necessary in this world, as in any other creative and artistic arena. At the end of the day, to paraphrase runstile, if you like it, don't give a hoot about what others say. Go ahead and enjoy it, and take or leave the comments of others, but don't let it ruin your day.

Basenotes Plus

I actually never dissed your formulas. Honestly, I'm not going to make most formulas posted here, and I'm certainly not going to make something just to give that person feedback on their formula. Your preference and your own learning curves, abilities, capabilities, skills, all are based on only you,no one else. YOU decide what is good, unless you put something under someone else's nose...

Materials DO matter. When I sold a formula to my client,for making it in Europe, he took it too medium sized fragrance house, do have made. I was as specific as possible on where to buy each material. They apparently could only get 80% close to what I make. So because materials are so variable,even asking someone else to make you formula to evaluate it, is a poor choice.

I only make comments when some line item in a formula looks like it is radically out of line.

I learned to evaluate my materials and my formulas, using my own nose. I really expect other learners to do the same.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

I actually never dissed your formulas. Honestly, I'm not going to make most formulas posted here, and I'm certainly not going to make something just to give that person feedback on their formula. Your preference and your own learning curves, abilities, capabilities, skills, all are based on only you, no one else. YOU decide what is good, unless you put something under someone else's nose...

Materials DO matter. When I sold a formula to my client, for making it in Europe, he took it to a medium sized fragrance house, to have made. I was as specific as possible on where to buy each material. They apparently could only get 80% close to what I make. So because materials are so variable, even asking someone else to make you formula to evaluate it, is a poor choice.

I only make comments when some line item in a formula looks like it is radically out of line.

I learned to evaluate my materials and my formulas, using my own nose. I really expect other learners to do the same.
    Last edited by pkiler; 13th March 2019 at 01:11 AM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Sorry if that's what you thought I might be doing..I have a few frag oils I was just pointing out the quality of the company not your mixture of whatever you were making- I don't use them maybe except for a leather oil from a cheap company.

And yes I have given the company your taking about a try
    Before..

Hey if it works and you like it doesn't matter.

Cheers
    Currently wearing: Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

Nico, this almost sounds like ranting from you considering what actually went on... Wasn't it just last week that Paul tried to help you out by saying take the lavender out of the alcohol sooner so it doesn't start to stink of lignin decomp? No one put you down or discredited you.
    On your behalf, maybe it was a little odd to put up a thread about woolzies right after you discussed buying your materials there, but that may have been all about the 'jasmine oil' being misleading. I guess I have to go read the thread.
    As far as the rest of your oils being worthless, they are NOT. I was feeling a little sunken too that all of my '99 cent free shipping' oils were probably fake, but then I thought ... so? I have enjoyed them and now continue to do so when I am making something 'quick'.
    I am glad to see you are mixing, you probably received no comments because you are making a scalp tonic. You say you want to sell it, but it is then both a medicine and a cosmetic. Do you have the guidelines for legally setting up, testing, is there like an FDA there, etc?

Basenotes Plus

Nicotiro,
    This speaks so perfectly to learning Perfumery:
    https://youtu.be/LdtK_oiyJAo?t=991
    for the next 20 seconds.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

I started about 6 years ago. I used NOW oils from the local health food store. Even though I look down on those materials currently they are perfect for beginners and for learning foundational skills. For learning without worrying about waste. Even better they were the inspiration so I could know I was interested in this and go down the path I have been on

When comparing old things with new things I've made the vast majority of it is horrible. But there are some things I made that I still enjoy and use. A face tonic and a beard oil. Hair oil for my wife. etc.

Please understand that you can do perfume your way and at your pace and within your budget. I often would not switch materials until I ran out of it. That was the criteria. The more I use certain things the more of them in higher quality and quantity I buy.

That being said this is a wonderful opportunity to buy other materials and use your nose and compare them. Even if they are fake fragrance oil figure out how to make your own bases that have the features that drew you in the first place and make your own bases that please you.

I have probably 1-4 weeks before I can make anything since I moved. However, if you want to send me your best formula that you want me to repeat and critique I'll give 1 a go. Just PM when your ready.