Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Default What's your favourite vanilla?

    What is the best vanilla oil, absolute, simulated or co2 extraction you've ever used and where did you buy it from? In particular I'm looking for a hyper sweet, full but delicate vanilla. I'm on what seems a never ending search of a delicate and feminine vanilla.

    Even though I'm after a dainty vanilla I'd still be interested in knowing your favourite overall vanilla. Please tell me where you bought it and what kind of profile does it have?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Basenotes Junkie mattmeleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    705

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Daddy101 View Post
    What is the best vanilla oil, absolute, simulated or co2 extraction you've ever used and where did you buy it from? In particular I'm looking for a hyper sweet, full but delicate vanilla. I'm on what seems a never ending search of a delicate and feminine vanilla.

    Even though I'm after a dainty vanilla I'd still be interested in knowing your favourite overall vanilla. Please tell me where you bought it and what kind of profile does it have?

    Thanks.
    My vanilla bean tincture is my favourite...
    It`s woody, spicy and round.
    I combine it with vanillin, and a tiny bit of carnation accord (basically eugenol) = my home blend vanilla.
    “Candy is full of taste. But so is shit, because taste is full of smell.”
    - Jarod Kintz, This Book Has No Title

  3. #3
    Basenotes Plus
    pkiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,669

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    Vanilla, real vanilla, has many aspects that contribute to the molecular profile.

    I just sent a molecular reconstruction of Vanilla Absolute to Perfumer Supply House for sale, it just got there yesterday, so I'll have to see how she prices it out.

    If you study Vanilla and it's aspects a little better, to ask a better question, you might be able to get a better answer.
    "dainty" is pretty subjective, but if you ask with odor descriptors, that too might help.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

  4. #4

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Vanilla, real vanilla, has many aspects that contribute to the molecular profile.

    I just sent a molecular reconstruction of Vanilla Absolute to Perfumer Supply House for sale, it just got there yesterday, so I'll have to see how she prices it out.

    If you study Vanilla and it's aspects a little better, to ask a better question, you might be able to get a better answer.
    "dainty" is pretty subjective, but if you ask with odor descriptors, that too might help.
    Ah I'm excited to buy some Paul! I need to venture out of using plain vanillin / ethyl vanillin for my Vanilla notes. I did order a very tiny sample of Vanilla CO2 from Eden basically to just evaluate, but I haven't used any of it bc it's so expensive.


  5. #5

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    Please post back when you try the co2 extraction, I'd be very interested in knowing what it's like.

    I've tried a few different types and none have lived up to my expectation. They are either too foody like Tahitian vanilla or too dry. I know dainty is a ridiculous word to describe what I'm looking for, but nothing else comes to mind lol. I suppose the best way to describe the vanilla I'm looking for is hyper feminine - the kind of vanilla they use in female body sprays. The cupcake kind of vanilla, close to the vanilla flavoring.

    To be honest though - the main part of the post was to find out other people's favourite vanilla - being that it's so ridiculously expensive, I don't want to waste my money buying garbage. I want some good recommendations before I drop some cash on my next order.

  6. #6

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    It sounds like the popular warm vanilla sugar sold at BBB and others... you can buy the fragrance oil cheap at bulk apothecary, target, piping rock has a sale on it right now.
    Then if that's what you want make an accord of that.

  7. #7

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    Also, all the grocery stores will be having sales on extracts soon if not already, nothing like real vanilla but its not exactly a 'clean' mixer.

  8. #8

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    If you are looking for a full bodied vanilla, you need to make an accord, vanillin only is a base note and won't get you far. Try an accord of vanillin, ethyl vanillin, galaxolide or any musk, trace of ethyl maltol, isobutavan and hedione at the heart and acetoin or even a trace of aldehyde c14 at the top.

    You can then vary it then by adding: sandalwood in the base for that cosmetic creamy profile, patchouli for an angel (mugler) type vanilla, for floral accents try adding lyral and sandalwood molecule like santaliff to the base, for coconutty/creamy vibe methyl laitone, for powdery try adding some methyl gamma ionone and heliopin (heliotropex) and some powdery musk as well. If you can get some creosol, it works great in traces by enhancing the vanillic profile by adding a trace of vanillic spicines some absolutes have.

  9. #9

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    Thanks for the reply - I have virtually all the notes you just posted so I may have a play around. Definitely the key to the scent I'm going for is ramping up the musks - so far, the very best musk I've tried is exhaltolide - blends so well with vanilla and gives it the powdery, feminine quality I'm looking for. Vanillin doesn't do much for me, but I do like the top note of ethyl vanillin - if only it didn't have a cardboard scent on the dry down. All the accords I have done have been a disappointment and all the oils I've bought have smelled too fake. I have high hopes though, I just bought 4 different vanilla absolutes so I'm hoping at least one of them is a good base to work with

    I suppose creating a vanilla fragrance is a bit of a cop out as vanilla must be the easiest note to work with because it blends with everything. Still, in my research I've tried at least 40 different, vanilla focused fragrances and none of them has the exact scent I'm looking for. The closest was creed sublime vanille - remove the bergamot note from that and its pretty close to what I'm looking for.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Junkie mattmeleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    705

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent View Post
    If you are looking for a full bodied vanilla, you need to make an accord, vanillin only is a base note and won't get you far. Try an accord of vanillin, ethyl vanillin, galaxolide or any musk, trace of ethyl maltol, isobutavan and hedione at the heart and acetoin or even a trace of aldehyde c14 at the top.

    You can then vary it then by adding: sandalwood in the base for that cosmetic creamy profile, patchouli for an angel (mugler) type vanilla, for floral accents try adding lyral and sandalwood molecule like santaliff to the base, for coconutty/creamy vibe methyl laitone, for powdery try adding some methyl gamma ionone and heliopin (heliotropex) and some powdery musk as well. If you can get some creosol, it works great in traces by enhancing the vanillic profile by adding a trace of vanillic spicines some absolutes have.
    Fantastic ideas!
    I completely agree with your choice of materials...
    M
    “Candy is full of taste. But so is shit, because taste is full of smell.”
    - Jarod Kintz, This Book Has No Title

  11. #11

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    What makes a vanilla worth going from $10 an ounce to $1000 scent wise?

  12. #12
    Basenotes Junkie mattmeleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    705

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    Quote Originally Posted by SharpLess View Post
    What makes a vanilla worth going from $10 an ounce to $1000 scent wise?
    I`ve heard/read online all about a "Chinese, vanilla price fixing conspiracy," theory.
    Much like when Japan and China were in disputes, the Chinese stopped all shipment of rare earth metals to Japan...
    Cantonese speaking Chinese, who control most of the world`s vanilla bean farms, have - upon request from Beijing, decided to hurt us where it hurts...
    In our sweet tooth :-)

    The theory goes that Chinese vanilla companies, who have control of Bourbon Island and other places,
    they are stock piling Vanilla beans in warehouses all around the pacific which automatically inflates the prices.
    They sell it off slowly, and at a premium.

    I lived in Asia for a decade, and I wouldn't doubt if its true.
    Then again, it might be that Bourbon Island and other such places have had shitty weather these past couple years.
    Either way, its all about supply and demand.

    Here:
    http://time.com/5308143/vanilla-pric...ge-madagascar/

    https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes...133625594.html
    “Candy is full of taste. But so is shit, because taste is full of smell.”
    - Jarod Kintz, This Book Has No Title

  13. #13
    Basenotes Junkie

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    parma
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    I'm not a vanilla expert, but the best i've ever smelled are vanilla bourbon (not simply "vaniglia bio") from Madagascar ,1ml of Primavera/Flora,an italian/deutsch producer. This:

    https://sorgentenatura.it/p/olio-ess...urbon-bio-1-ml

    An absolute, deep/dark/brown, bitter/sweet (It has a bitter side), chestnut honey, cognac/brandy, caramelized...wonderful, no A.C. is comparable,... an accord, perhaps.. (I have made many attempts, but to make its depth dark is not easy...in my modest reco's, i used cresols/phenols,also... )

  14. #14

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Ah I'm excited to buy some Paul! I need to venture out of using plain vanillin / ethyl vanillin for my Vanilla notes. I did order a very tiny sample of Vanilla CO2 from Eden basically to just evaluate, but I haven't used any of it bc it's so expensive.
    Play with creosol with your vanillin etc. and you'll get a pretty true to life vanilla absolute replica.

  15. #15

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrater View Post
    Play with creosol with your vanillin etc. and you'll get a pretty true to life vanilla absolute replica.
    I went heavy on the valspice one time and it turned out very musty and almost smoky, I actually can't get the smell out of my head, very memorable. I warn anyone using creosol to use it with extreme caution, start w/ one drop per blend and diluted down at least 50%.

  16. #16

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    I personally like making my own absolute from bourbon vanilla beans. I’ve tried this one from hermitage though, and it sounds like what you are describing. https://hermitageoils.com/product/va...a-tincture-15/ Hermitage also has an vanilla oleoresin and Tahitian co2 high vanillin content that may fit the bill, though I haven’t smelled either of those.

  17. #17

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    I have Madagascar vanilla absolute from botanic essence which is black syrupy, very sweet, full bodied and long lasting. I never tried to make a vanilla ackord and actually don't use the absolute that much. for some reason it doesn't fit with my style I guess. One more suggestion for acs to use in an ackord would be vanillyl butyrate, that is vanilla with a cheesy character that could probably add some depth. I recently made a Schiffs base with vanillin but haven't tried it out yet. Could be interesting.

  18. #18

    Default Re: What's your favourite vanilla?

    Quote Originally Posted by SharpLess View Post
    I went heavy on the valspice one time and it turned out very musty and almost smoky, I actually can't get the smell out of my head, very memorable. I warn anyone using creosol to use it with extreme caution, start w/ one drop per blend and diluted down at least 50%.
    So true - it needs to be used with extreme care - it very easily takes over and destroys. But with the right dose it's brilliant.

Similar Threads

  1. Using Vanilla essence to add vanilla note in a compound
    By G.M.K. in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th October 2014, 06:02 PM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 21st March 2014, 06:33 PM
  3. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 23rd February 2014, 07:36 PM
  4. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 4th November 2012, 08:26 PM
  5. Can vanilla heads still appreciate a basic cheap vanilla scent?
    By BradW in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 1st October 2011, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000