Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: About rose perfumes..

I do not like the smell of roses--not on a bush or in a flacon--but I do really like Guerlain's Nahéma. Magic in a bottle. Other than that, rose notes have to sit way in the background for me to like them in a scent. RoseWOOD is another thing completely.....
    Beer? The kids' new gear?
    Currently wearing: Ferrari Uomo by Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    I do not like the smell of roses--not on a bush or in a flacon--but I do really like Guerlain's Nahéma. Magic in a bottle. Other than that, rose notes have to sit way in the background for me to like them in a scent. RoseWOOD is another thing completely.....
    +1 I adore rosewood, too.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Sam-I-Am has some ham he wants to give you.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Timeless by Avon

Green Eggs and Rose-scented ham?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Sam-I-Am has some ham he wants to give you.
    Beer? The kids' new gear?
    Currently wearing: Ferrari Uomo by Ferrari

I still rate the original Amouage Homage Attar as 'the rose' but pretty well impossible to find now, I think.

Lyric Woman is also a personal fave

Not a fan of the 'rosenpatch' combo - Portrait of a Lady is a no no.

Lipstick Rose from Malle is a fun one - the iris, make up' touch is great on the right person.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I still rate the original Amouage Homage Attar as 'the rose' but pretty well impossible to find now, I think.
    Finding it hard to argue with this. I have a bottle which gets used at special times throughout the year, but barely comes out of the wardrobe four times. There's so little of this precious stuff that I want to preserve it as much as possible!

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    My current favorite rose crush has to be Musk Rose Attar from Rising Phoenix Perfumery. It’s sublime.
    +1 - this is a beautiful fragrance.

Basenotes Junkie

As I'm on something of a rose-binge right now, I'll throw a number of good roses into the mix;

Dior Oud Ispahan - a beastly meld of rose and oud which will last all day and sing from the rooftops. Perhaps my favourite rose-centric fragrance but really close to the rest of the following.
    Dior Ambre Nuit - 'Ambergris' and rose. Waxy, jammy rose. Sits far closer to the skin than the rest of my suggestions but smells heavenly. This is the type of fragrance I struggle to pull my nose away from, post-spray. Will last all day but doesn't shout about it.
    Xerjoff Richwood - A gorgeously golden sandalwood-rose mixture. Strong and bold, but also strongly opulent. The attar of this comes across far creamier with the focus more solely on the sandalwood. The EdP is a little more 'tarte' with respect to the sandalwood, but both are fantastic.
    Xerjoff Warda al Oud - A more floral, petal-esque rose than the above which are more jammy and less photorealistic. This has a grounding layer of oud and some jasmine top notes thrown in for good measure. Some slight indole at the fore but settling down to a light, but not weak, rose-oud. Gorgeous stuff. Little goes a long way on my skin.
    Roja Aoud - More petal/floral than any of the above with that diffuse, almost chalky rose and a mere hint of oud. This stuff projects for days on my skin and is darkly-coloured, photorealistic and rich. It's diffusive fragrance lulls you into a sense of security. Up there with my favourite fragrances, let alone roses.
    MFK Oud Satin Mood - either the EdP or Extrait should vie for attention as they do dry down similarly. I'll suggest the EdP as the vanilla comes through more strongly to give a far cosier, warming aspect. Again, no slouch.
    Nishane Rosa Turca - My newest rose purchase, with 15mL to my name. 15mL should last forever and a day as this is a '1-sprayer' for most. I think the most I'd opt for is 3 but that would be making it known to all around. Indolic to start with a heavy blast of jasmine and chalky-powdery rose to keep it interesting for me, and turkish-delight sweet-rosiness for those around you. It settles more into the turkish delight style rose but is never boring. Another powerhouse.
    Ex Nihilo Venenum Kiss - Not actually worn by me but by my other half. This suits her down to the ground and back again. Sandalwood and rose, in a similar vein to Richwood but sweeter, cosier. I'd say this is an absolute powerhouse but she wears it with pride - I've often counted 8 sprays when watching her administer it. Smells heavenly on her.

And that's a wrap, folks! Plenty there which I've tried and would wholeheartedly recommend. There's a number of different styles in there but all have their purpose and place in my lineup.