Code of Conduct

Default Lycee materials?

Anyone know of Lychee scent materials, and or accords for purchase?
    I really love lychee in combination with rose.

Thanks so much
    Matt
    “Candy is full of taste. But so is shit, because taste is full of smell.”
    - Jarod Kintz, This Book Has No Title

Default Re: Lycee materials?

dimethyl sulphide is exceptionally excellent for lychee AND rose. take care, its incredible powerful. handle it like pyrazines...

Quote Originally Posted by pavomi View Post
    dimethyl sulphide is exceptionally excellent for lychee AND rose. take care, its incredible powerful. handle it like pyrazines...
    Thanks so much!
    M

I have a lychee tree I can send you leaves / bark for free if you want to bother with extracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thea in Fl View Post
    I have a lychee tree I can send you leaves / bark for free if you want to bother with extracting.
    Nah, thanks so much.
    I am SO envious of you. Vancouver is GREY.
    GREY GREY GREY!!!

Cis3-hexenyl acetate is a fruity ac that smells very similar to a Thai fruit called Lamyai which is in the same family, and Para cresyl acetate is a little sour, pear like with hints of Lychee. These two could definitely go into a Lychee accord.

thanks!
    M

The most important fragrance compound in rose is the same one in lychee: beta-damascenone.

It's a wonderful fragrance that's not found in a lot of things. (cognac being one of the rare exceptions)

Some types of muscat grapes also have a lychee-like note to them. (Jupiter is one new seedless variety that's been developed, and I can confirm they do have definite flavor resemblance to lychee)

Quote Originally Posted by parker25mv View Post
    The most important fragrance compound in rose is the same one in lychee: beta-damascenone.

It's a wonderful fragrance that's not found in a lot of things. (cognac being one of the rare exceptions)

Some types of muscat grapes also have a lychee-like note to them. (Jupiter is one new seedless variety that's been developed, and I can confirm they do have definite flavor resemblance to lychee)
    Yes, I agree with you.
    But I`ve not used Beta Damascenone enough to cultivate an appreciation for it.
    I find it dry, grape skin, nearly bitter, "pitty," or pith-like. So AT THIS MOMENT...I don`t know a way to take beta-demascenone and make it juicy.

I like the salt-water, juicy refreshing aspects of Lychee.
    The bright floral aspects.

Do you have an idea for taking beta-demascenone and making it more juicy?

An alternative, since you're going to be combining rose and lychee, is to just use damask rose absolute. While expensive, I don't believe it's terribly more expensive than beta-damascenone (factoring in the amount you'd need). Right now they don't have an economical synthetic route to beta-damascenone, and beta-damascenone is commercially derived from damask rose, so I'm assuming a low grade natural damask rose absolute wouldn't be too uneconomical.

Quote Originally Posted by parker25mv View Post
    An alternative, since you're going to be combining rose and lychee, is to just use damask rose absolute. While expensive, I don't believe it's terribly more expensive than beta-damascenone (factoring in the amount you'd need). Right now they don't have an economical synthetic route to beta-damascenone, and beta-damascenone is commercially derived from damask rose, so I'm assuming a low grade natural damask rose absolute wouldn't be too uneconomical.
    That is a very good idea...
    I think I`m going to order the rose sample set from eden botanicals
    https://www.edenbotanicals.com/rose-sampler-pack.html

Damask rose is the most fruity of all roses?
    The most lychee heavy of all?
    M

Matt, where did you smell the lychee, in a fragrance or a drink? Lychee is like 98% starchy rice smell and maybe 2% tea and grape in real life. You might be replicating something that's not like a real lychee. So it might be really hard to get a replica going. If you go to an Asian market and they have those sodas with the marble on top that you push in, those are real lychee taste and smell.

Some other suggestions would be rose oxide, especially laevo; peonile, benzophenone, dibutyl or dimethyl sulfide, a good geranium oil, rose butanoate and other phenyl ethyl esters, traces of beta ionone and strawberry furanone.

Quote Originally Posted by perfumum View Post
    Some other suggestions would be rose oxide, especially laevo; peonile, benzophenone, dibutyl or dimethyl sulfide, a good geranium oil, rose butanoate and other phenyl ethyl esters, traces of beta ionone and strawberry furanone.
    This is an excellent list! Geranium oil is a brilliant idea but might need to be tweaked with extra linalool and/or geraniol.

I'd still add nerolidol and a tiny amount of cucumber aldehyde. If no rose oil used then also nerol and neryl acetate might help.