Code of Conduct

Default Magie noire, sillage of the vintage

Dear Basenoters,

I'm an avid collector of vintage Magie noire and I would like to ask you if you have experienced the same as me. I know this fragrance is known for its huge projection, at least the vintage versions, but - even though I own several bottles - to me it's always quite soft.

I must say I don't like so much the immediate opening and that I wait the drydown, which is what I really enjoy with all its "vegetal" greenness, woodiness and a hint of honey note. However none of my bottles (I have splash and sprays from the early 80s to mid 90s) seems to be the sillage monster everyone talk about. It pleasantly projects at little distance from the skin, but I can't say that "fills a room" as I have often read. I would like to add that despite this, the longevity is extreme if sprayed on clothes or fabric.
    I have also tried the most recent formula and had the same impressions about sillage (can't say the same about the longevity).

I am almost 100% sure none of my bottles is gone off, but the Magie noire I remember from my kid's years had stronger top notes. Could be this due to the higher sensitivity of a younger nose? Or could it be because of the difference between new and old stock? Or perhaps Magie noire actually isn't that strong (I own several vintage chypres from the 80s and they are as powerful as I remember, i.e. Diva, Trussardi and Aromatics Elixir)?

Thank you so much

G
    Last edited by Gilturko; 12th November 2018 at 11:36 AM.

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: Magie noire, sillage of the vintage

At least some of the top notes will have been lost over the years in vintage bottles, so your old stock hasn't gone off, it's just aged naturally. I don't remember the original as being a powerhouse in the manner of other late 70s/early 80s scents - it lingered and you knew it was there, but it wasn't overpowering. This is partly due to its beautiful balance. It's enticing and enveloping, but stately in the grand manner (to me).

Hello Gilturko-

I see you're still on your quest to explore vintage dark chypres. Party on, vintage friend.

I didn't wear Magie Noire back in the day, but I purchased a vintage EDT when I started collecting vintages. I didn't pursue more of it (for once) because I feel MN somehow doesn't suit me, and I am still puzzling out why. I put some on before writing this, and I do see how amazing it is, but I still have a sense of doubt. In brief, I think it's the strong contrast between the syrupy notes (variously described as honey, raspberry) and the bitter (black currant leaf, galbanum, oakmoss). They seem to clash rather than blend.

I find the sillage of the vintage EDT to be strong. One or two sprays is plenty, but doesn't "fill a room." MN is one of the vintages that generate a lot of hyperbole about its power. I've worn it to work--no one died and no masters of the dark arts emerged from the shadows.

I suspect that I would enjoy the vintage parfum even more than the vintage EDT, and perhaps some day, I'll give it a try.

Once again this community is very very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    At least some of the top notes will have been lost over the years in vintage bottles, so your old stock hasn't gone off, it's just aged naturally.
    I agree with you, Bonnette. Probably the top notes aren't still in a good shape - we're talking about very old stock - overall the perfume still has great longevity. I even noticed a slightly camphorous woodiness quality in the very early 80s flacons I own. "It lingered" is the best way to describe it, that's what it does. It's there, around, present without being invasive.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hello Gilturko-

I see you're still on your quest to explore vintage dark chypres. Party on, vintage friend.
    Still exploring and happy so far, I liked almost all of the late 70s 80s chypres I've found with some little exception. May I ask you how old is your vintage? The most recent I have had is a small decant of the early 2000 version, prior to the nowadays reformulation, its top notes were still fresh - or probably a little bit different from the original - and it had a good projection.
    I appreciate the sense of humour! No witches or warlocks in sight at any clock position and no voodoo dolls/cauldrons/Suspiria soundtrack/osculus infame... To me Magie noire is more a comfort scent, reflective, very unusual and grand as Bonnette wrote. However I like its early marketing and the very old packaging with all the grimoire glyphs.

Thank you everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilturko View Post
    May I ask you how old is your vintage?
    I'm sorry, but I have no idea. I don't have the box and there are no batchcodes on the bottle, which looks like this:

IMG_2822.JPG

Yours is a 11 ml freebie from the early 80s, so it could be very likely 1st formula

Basenotes Plus

I'm going to agree with grayspoole and say that the vintage EDT had some pretty powerful sillage on me. The vintage pure parfum and bath oil, not so much so.
    Currently wearing: Mitsouko by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I'm going to agree with grayspoole and say that the vintage EDT had some pretty powerful sillage on me. The vintage pure parfum and bath oil, not so much so.
    Thank you, Starblind. I've read your review and I share your admiration for the beautiful green notes of Magie noire

Yours is a 11 ml freebie from the early 80s, so it could be very likely 1st formula
    Good to know, thanks! Wouldn't it be nice if Lancome was still giving these away as GWP?

I can understand being a collector of the vintage --- I'm not keen on what it has become

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Good to know, thanks! Wouldn't it be nice if Lancome was still giving these away as GWP?
    What is GWP?

Edit:
    Found now: gift with purchase (before, I found Global Warming Potential, that sounded weird to me)

What is GWP?

Edit:
    Found now: gift with purchase (before, I found Global Warming Potential, that sounded weird to me)
    Sorry, GWP is cosmetic counter lingo. Today, you would probably be lucky to get a tiny sample of LVEB (La Vie Est Belle).