Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Dated Fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    ‘Dated’ could well be the new ‘niche’.
    I was kind of thinking something like that when starting on my fragrance journey.
    But then I found out that most fragrances, regardless of how obscure they are, have a certain vibe they share from the more well-known ones.
    For example Lapidus Pour Homme smells similar in style to YSL's Kouros.
    Jaguar, Pino Silvestre and Sung Homme have a lot in common with Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by H_West View Post
    I think we could be pretty objective about old school fragrances. But then we could think of them as timeless, classic, dated or too mature. The first two are positive, the last two is negative.

I think we could call these four examples old school: Habit Rouge, AdP Colonia, Azzaro PH and Paco Rabanne PH. Not too much subjectivity there. But, we all might have different opinions of them
    I'm going to see if I can try the first two.
    I happen to like the last two.
    Paco is great, and unlike other old school fragrances it has this fresh, clean dry down as opposed to being "dirty."
    Sometimes Azzaro smells too old, because of the musky dry down. Other times the herbal notes are much more pronounced and it comes across to me as this very unique, sophisticated scent.

The only old school fragrance I have tried that didn't smell "dated" is Fahrenheit, and if anything, it still feels ahead of its time.
    I haven't come across any oldies that smell "timeless." Almost always when trying a new fragrance it reminds me of an era, fashion or style. Like, what kind of person would wear this?
    For me, "old money" is a description that makes me wary of blind-buying a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Dated usually means quality to me. Lately it's all I'm really interested in. I also find it easier to wear fragrances from the 80s and earlier, than certain 90s frags. The ones from the 90s or early 2000s don't usually have the same quality of ingredients, so come off as screechy or cheap smelling, and much worse than anything that's "dated". Just like fashion, sometimes the further back you go, the better. Glad you're enjoying the Habit Rouge, it's a masterpiece.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    There is not such a thing as old man, outdated, grandpa fragrance nonsense.
    Only those lacking the confidence and knowledge may think like that.
    Fragrance is about ingredients, not the year or era it was created.
    reviewers who used those words shout be banned for life from reviewing any fragrances.
    I get what you're saying.
    Saying something is "outdated/old man/etc" can instill bias in someone, who wouldn't have initially made that association on their own.

That said, it's not just an issue of having or lacking confidence.
    Today, a guy wearing bell bottoms, an open collared shirt with giant lapels and rocking a perm is gonna look weird. No amount of confidence is going to make that outfit work.
    It's also about being smart, and finding what works for your look/features, and what style you're trying to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    100% agree. When I hear the words dated or mature I immediately think Masculine, traditional, high quality, strong, character. Right up my street!
    Couldn’t agree more.

My other half always tells me I’ve put on one of my ‘classics’.

If you put on something like Eau Sauvage or Bel Ami people will suddenly snap out of their daze and take notice as their senses start to function at higher levels again.
    Last edited by Sheik Yerbouti; Yesterday at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I get what you're saying.
    Today, a guy wearing bell bottoms, an open collared shirt with giant lapels and rocking a perm is gonna look weird..
    I don't think you did, the above example with the guy has nothing to do with smell, smell is all about the ingredients.
    it is kind of like: better ingredients better pizza..............
    and i bet nobody will disagreed that old man, outdated, grandpa fragrances have better ingredients than the current fragrances not matter niche or not.
    the IFRA is coming almost every year with new Standards, The IFRA Expert Panel is made up of bunch of idiots who has nothing better to do.
    coming up:
    next high fashion niche perfume will be done by few molecules with 3 D printing.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Antaeus Sport Cologne
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

I don't know some fragrances just smell dated. It's probably to do with our environment and the association our brains make with.

TF Tabacco Vanille - apart from being cloyingly sweet, it just smells dated to me. Like something Cleopatra might wear.

The two that immediately come to mind are Guerlain Vetiver and Dior Eau Sauvage. I appreciate the fragrances for what they are but couldn't wear them myself. Both smell like a "grandpa."

There is not such a thing as old man, outdated, grandpa fragrance nonsense.
    Only those lacking the confidence and knowledge may think like that.
    Fragrance is about ingredients, not the year or era it was created.
    reviewers who used those words shout be banned for life from reviewing any fragrances.
    I somewhat agree with this. e.g. Musk, oud, rose have been used for centuries if not millennia. Would we say that they smell dated?

There is not such a thing as old man, outdated, grandpa fragrance nonsense. Only those lacking the confidence and knowledge may think like that.
    ...reviewers who used those words shout be banned for life from reviewing any fragrances.
    Wow, talk about making blanket statements and then attributing them to everyone else! Lacking confidence and knowledge?? Banning thoughts? What kind of passive-aggressive, authoritarian BS is this?

This is a community, not a dictatorship. Smell is very subjective and everyone is entitled to sharing their opinion. And we shouldn't have to fear being disparaged or censored for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    .......Banning opinions? What kind of passive-aggressive, authoritarian BS is this? This is a community, not a dictatorship.
    Reading this made me laugh out so loud.

I don't think you did, the above example with the guy has nothing to do with smell, smell is all about the ingredients.
    it is kind of like: better ingredients better pizza..............
    I'm not trying to argue about the quality of ingredients. I included L'Aventurier's quote by accident.

It's about association.
    We associate bell bottoms and big lapels with the 1970s.
    If our grandpas or older uncles wore Aramis, Brut, or something else that came out during their prime, we associate that style of fragrance with them, and with older people in general.
    And because many fragrances usually piggy back off each other, building on what's popular and in fashion at the time, so it's not that hard to figure out what era they belong to.

The reverse of the "grandpa smelling" cologne reviews, is people saying that stuff like Curve is a great "beginner scent," that it's smells like high school, it's more suited for teenagers, etc.

And taking it even further, why even call a fragrance, "masculine" smelling? Ingredients don't have genders, right?
    Again, it's what we associate with something, due to our own experiences.

and i bet nobody will disagreed that old man, outdated, grandpa fragrances have better ingredients than the current fragrances not matter niche or not.
    the IFRA is coming almost every year with new Standards, The IFRA Expert Panel is made up of bunch of idiots who has nothing better to do.
    coming up:
    next high fashion niche perfume will be done by few molecules with 3 D printing.
    I agree about the quality of ingredients.
    I got a bottle of vintage Trussardi Uomo and vintage Pancaldi.
    Both smell very expensive and rich in quality.
    I won't wear either one, but they are top notch fragrances that just don't fit me.

Rogue Perfumery

Some fragrances may smell dated but it does not render them irrelevant or unwearable. It's all about the person who wears them and how they "pull it off". Like the bellbottoms mentioned above, someone may look ridiculous and out of place wearing them. On the other side of the token, somebody can easily "pull off" the look and make a fashion statement.

Look at the dude in this Hermes ad. I think he pulls off the late-Victorian look pretty damned well. I like his uncompromising ass expression too -the icing on the cake :-)
    ea1192672def2335317c2856f54720a2.jpg
    Non-IFRA-Compliant Fragrance Art: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoguePerfumery
    New Tuberose Fragrance! Read about it here:
    https://rogueperfumery.com

In my opinion a lot of the newer fragrances have too much of that Axe shower gel vibe going on and that’s where I think generic. I sorta lean unisex newer fragrances but really enjoy the classics like Chanel Antaeus which could now be somewhat unisex. Acqua di Gio could be considered dated because it came out when I was in HS. Chanel Allure PH one of my all time favorites has been around awhile to. Never liked the term “dated” I much more like “vintage”

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Some fragrances may smell dated but it does not render them irrelevant or unwearable. It's all about the person who wears them and how they "pull it off". Like the bellbottoms mentioned above, someone may look ridiculous and out of place wearing them. On the other side of the token, somebody can easily "pull off" the look and make a fashion statement.
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.

Look at the dude in this Hermes ad. I think he pulls off the late-Victorian look pretty damned well. I like his uncompromising ass expression too -the icing on the cake :-)
    Is that an actual old ad, or is that a current one trying going for a classic vibe with Robert Pattison?

Quote Originally Posted by Rybrew View Post
    Acqua di Gio could be considered dated because it came out when I was in HS. Chanel Allure PH one of my all time favorites has been around awhile to. Never liked the term “dated” I much more like “vintage”
    For me, I consider a lot of stuff from the time of AdG to be dated. For me, aquatics remind me of high school.
    Strangely enough, some select stuff from the 70s and 80s feel more "classic," even new to me, probably because I never came across them growing up.