Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Musk revisited-discussion

Hey guys,
    I've moved over from reddit.com/r/fragrance to basenotes and have been lurking now for a while (basenoters discussion on Rasasi hooked me--credits to Dandydude and MonsieurChanel). My interests are mostly musk fragrances, including those not necessarily musky but with a musky base. Do you know any inexpensive fragrances similar to Kiehls Musk, which is surely one of my favourites? I like the way Kiehl's is floral but would also like if it were more bergamoty-and I like the Musk note in it for sure.
    Now my questions.
    Are there any inexpensive Musk oils/edt/edps from middle eastern houses (Al-Rehab, Rasasi, Maleeb) that are good?
    What do you think of Musk Malaki by Swiss Arabian?
    What about New Men Musk by Dame Perfumery?
    I am considering blind buying one of these two and any oils you deem worthy.

Thanks!

Default Re: Musk revisited-discussion

Prada Amber Pour Homme
    Dior Homme Cologne
    Green African Musk oil (inexpensive)

I dont know much about musks.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Perhaps Musc by Franck Boclet might be worth a try.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Narcissi Rodriguez edp

Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan has a musk note similar to that in the Kiehl's, but its newest formulation might be prohibitively expensive at $375 per 100ml bottle. I wish it was available in a smaller size. Another nice one I tried recently is Marlou L'animal Sauvage. Might be worth a try.
    Currently wearing: Single Malt by By Kilian

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by byrdjoel View Post
    Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan has a musk note similar to that in the Kiehl's, but its newest formulation might be prohibitively expensive at $375 per 100ml bottle. I wish it was available in a smaller size. Another nice one I tried recently is Marlou L'animal Sauvage. Might be worth a try.
    +1 on these two!
    Currently wearing: Mitsouko by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by ersel View Post
    I like the way Kiehl's is floral but would also like if it were more bergamoty-and I like the Musk note in it for sure.
    Perhaps Creed Himalaya...

Fellow musk fanatic here. I've heard much praise for Dame's New Musk Man - that one's near the top of my blind buy list for sure. Musk Malaki is also on that list, as a matter of fact.
    I'm going to second & highly recommend Narciso Rodriguez For Him EDP. Note the EDP, specifically - completely different from the EDT. Don't be dissuaded by the designer connotations - if you love Kiehl's then you will LOVE the Narciso EDP. Just trust me. The drydown is somehow even deeper, warmer, "dirtier", impossibly sexier. It is so. good. My vote is for Narciso or Dame.
    This may be heresy, but I personally have found Muscs Kublai Khan... a bit underwhelming. It has a kind of heavy, old school, powdery opening... with this one I do for once actually get the often talked about "fecal" note, but it's very very subtle & I feel you'd have to be looking for that connection to make it, & then it soon dries down... (for me) to a skin scent reminiscent of Kiehl's, but much softer... & I can't imagine why I'd pay $250+ more for MKK when I'd honestly rather be wearing Kiehl's. But worth a small sample from Perfumed Court or some such to check it out.
    Now, excuse me while I go to read up on the Marlou..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New Musk Man is a very white, clean sort of musk, so if you're looking for the warm, animalic kind, this is not what you want. However, I used to really enjoy New Musk Man and thought it was a great fragrance. I'd wear it fresh out of the shower on those days when I was going for something with a really clean, crisp appeal.

Just keep in mind that this style of musk is completely different than say something like Kiehl's Musk, which is anything but crisp and clean.

Dont really know about middle eastern houses, but ive tried mkk and marlou. But i also liked musc ravageur as well, maybe a bit better than the others. These will all be cost prohibitive id say. Maybe black musk montale, but we are still talking seventyish bucks a bottle.

Last edited by Trauerkraut; 11th November 2018 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thDayAventus View Post
    Perhaps Creed Himalaya...
    Great scent, but not exactly an inexpensive option.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    But i also liked musc ravageur as well..

Musc
    Ravageur is my favourite musky fragrance, and one of my favourite fragrances overall. Maybe a decant/split to keep the cost down...

L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale is another great musk. Again, it's quite expensive though.

Ungaro pour L'Homme II is another favourite of mine. It's discontinued but can still be had for reasonable prices online if you are patient.

Oh, and welcome to Basenotes!
    Last edited by morrison74; 12th November 2018 at 05:05 PM.
    MY UK SPLITS (2018): NICHE / DESIGNER / VINTAGE

Quote Originally Posted by ersel View Post
    Do you know any inexpensive fragrances similar to Kiehls Musk, which is surely one of my favourites?
    Have you tried Jovan Musk for men? It’s both inexpensive and is similar enough to the Kiehl’s that owning both (to me) would be redundant.

Blog Entries

Attar Bazaar Egyptian Musk and Medina Musk were both good at one time. There's a review for Egyptian Musk that says the fragrance has changed--imagine that--and that it's weaker/not as good as it was. Still, it might be worth looking into one of those.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it.
    Currently wearing: Vol de Nuit by Guerlain