Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Modern Chypres Under $50?

What's happening here?!
    Sorry to be a thorn, but since I THOUGHT I'm a fougere man, and going through loads of best, ultimate, modern etc fougere threads, I find many listed here in chypre thread?
    Is there a definitive guide (book) for me to pick up and reference etc?!
    Sorry for the digression
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

Polo (1978) is your reference, but you only want modern fragrances lest they smell dated. This is confusing to me.

I'm going to give some suggestions of 70s style chypres that have been reformulated (like Polo), but still smell good.
    - Aramis Devin (1978) is Polo's more interesting twin brother. There's pine in the background, but it's more about a barnyard mixed with fresh cut grass
    - Estee Lauder Private Collection (1973): smells like a greenhouse
    - Jacomo Silences (1978): smells like a dark forest
    - Estee Lauder Knowing (1988): impossible to describe. it's cool.
    - Clinique Aromatics Elixir (1971): green patchouli

Really most of Estee Lauder's company (including Aramis and Clinique) have been reformulated quite well.
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    What's happening here?!
    Sorry to be a thorn, but since I THOUGHT I'm a fougere man, and going through loads of best, ultimate, modern etc fougere threads, I find many listed here in chypre thread?
    Sorry for the digression
    I noticed the same thing. You're right: many fougeres have been mentioned. They're related, but not technically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_head View Post
    Polo (1978) is your reference, but you only want modern fragrances lest they smell dated. This is confusing to me.
    This also occurred to me, and my ultimate interpretation was was he wants a modernized take on the Polo theme which is still technically a cyphre, but maybe OP can confirm.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver by Carven

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    What's happening here?!
    Sorry for the digression
    Years ago, I got into a few debates on the subject, but now I usually avoid those threads. Basically, even if you believe in such classifications, a lot of fragrances are combinations of major elements from different categories. That has led to terms such as Fougeriental, Fougypre, etc. Some have an obviously different note added, so for example one could have a tobacco chypre (the 70s "feminines" were mostly floral chypres). Then when you add "modern" to it, the confusion can be magnified significantly. I'd guess there are a lot of people who only know chypres from the "modernized" versions and might vomit if they sprayed on a real chypre! I have a Coty Chypre EdP from I think the 60s, and it's green with some bite to it, quite simple (but effective). Most people can't start there, but what they can do is to explain what they want. If you want a green/citrus fragrance, even without the oakmoss "bite" then you can just say you want a basic scent of that type, for example. And if that's the case, something like M;Men by Matsushima might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Also adding Khaliji by Al Rehab - only apparently a Middle Eastern fragrance, in fact much closer to a 70-80s powerhouse chypre, like a more exotic (and to make matters better, in fact significantly improved) not dissimilar to a more exotic and less IFRA-restricted take on classics like vintage Polo Green, vintage Paco Rabanne, vintage Givenchy Gentleman, Duc de Vervins and Duc de Vervis L'Extreme, vintage Drakkar even before the more famous Noir flanker along with Horizon by the same house, as well a few Cartier male classics including yet not limited to vintage Santos and Declaration, but with more leathery, also more grassy and mossy side to it- all this and more within a both classic but unexpectedly modern, daring scent, quite uncommon within the current fragrance trends and/or outputs
    I have a roll on of Khaliji, and it smells similar to Rose 31, but with stronger curry smell. Not at all what I'm looking for. I've also tried all the others mentioned in both current and vintage, except DDV L'Extreme. All excellent frags, but not what I'm looking for.

Not directed to just you but just replying in general. I am really just looking for a spin off of Polo.. it has to exist right? with all the crap that they make now, literally new frags come out daily.. I'm thinking it's one of these cheap or obscure labels, like the stuff Hednic posts in the releases thread, hundreds of frags that nobody has ever heard of.. but I guarantee somebody on here actually has some of them.
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephen Hawking

Yes.. to clarify I would like something similar to Polo. I think Pol is perfect. All formulations, even current. I love Polo, I think it's a masterpiece, a timeless classic, not dated at all.

I emphasized on the oak moss note.. and usually when oak moss threads come up, it brings up dates smelling fragrances. Now don't take it personal.. just because you think something doesn't smell old, doesn't mean somebody else feels the same.. so I use the term "dated" very loosely.

Polo Modern Reserve was an example of modern chypre imo. The only problem was, I simply didn't like it. I know.. I'm one of the few. I didn't like the abomination of pepper, but if that's your thing, then by all means, enjoy.

So did Modern Reserve use real oak moss? I doubt it.. but it seemed to capture the smell of oakmoss quite well.. So saying it's not possible to have modern chypres is just flat out not true. Anything is possible, especially with all the aroma chemicals available. I've mixed patchouli and cedar together and it almost smelled like real oakmoss to me. So it's not so much about what you read in the notes, it's about what you've smelled. That's why I asked for suggestions personalized to me, from people with experience, who maybe have stumbled across a modern chypre, that may not be labeled as one. i can do all the research in the world, but it's not gonna allow me to smell anything from behind the computer. But the help of you guys who have already smelled it, is the best help I can ask for.

So please.. if you think you know something that meets this criteria.. Hell it could be labeled a fougere, again it means nothing.
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephen Hawking

Sombre negra? Although there is some pepper...

I think it’s been mentioned, but Esencia by Loewe is worth a sniff. It’s sold at discounters and these same online store fronts often have factory sample vials.

Personally, I feel that the vintage is “where it’s at” with this one, but the modern interpretation is still quite good. Put it this way, had I not smelled the vintage, I would have been content with what’s available today.

DDV L’Extreme is the other I’d recommended and feel that this would hit the spot. I don’t feel that it smells “dated” at all... In fact, I’d say that it smells “timeless” as opposed to “modern” though...
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Yes.. to clarify I would like something similar to Polo. I think Pol is perfect. All formulations, even current. I love Polo, I think it's a masterpiece, a timeless classic, not dated at all.

I emphasized on the oak moss note.. and usually when oak moss threads come up, it brings up dates smelling fragrances. Now don't take it personal.. just because you think something doesn't smell old, doesn't mean somebody else feels the same.. so I use the term "dated" very loosely.

Polo Modern Reserve was an example of modern chypre imo. The only problem was, I simply didn't like it. I know.. I'm one of the few. I didn't like the abomination of pepper, but if that's your thing, then by all means, enjoy.

So did Modern Reserve use real oak moss? I doubt it.. but it seemed to capture the smell of oakmoss quite well.. So saying it's not possible to have modern chypres is just flat out not true. Anything is possible, especially with all the aroma chemicals available. I've mixed patchouli and cedar together and it almost smelled like real oakmoss to me. So it's not so much about what you read in the notes, it's about what you've smelled. That's why I asked for suggestions personalized to me, from people with experience, who maybe have stumbled across a modern chypre, that may not be labeled as one. i can do all the research in the world, but it's not gonna allow me to smell anything from behind the computer. But the help of you guys who have already smelled it, is the best help I can ask for.

So please.. if you think you know something that meets this criteria.. Hell it could be labeled a fougere, again it means nothing.
    Polo Modern Reserve is not a Chypre by any stretch of the imagination.
    I recommended you a pretty damn good chypre for the money, and then I got this:

Homme de Gres sounds pretty good, I will definitely look into that one. But, coming from the mid 90s, I am not sure how it may smell.
    What is THAT supposed to mean?
    As if a chypre with oakmoss smells different in the 90s before it was banned?

Im starting to wonder if you genuinely know what a chypre is supposed to actually smell like now since you somehow think recommending a fougere which is guaranteed to have Lavender and Tonka is somehow supposed to smell like Bergamot, Labdanum and Patchouli to go with the oakmoss.

My post may seem a bit harsh, but I dont think you know what you're looking for because you dont know what a chypre really is.
    Its not smooth, when done right its quite sharp and not really like Polo. To me Polo is more like a Woody Aromatic than a chypre. It only could be chypre because the notes are nearly everything but the kitchen sink.

You want to sample something modern that smells like a real chypre that ISNT under $50?

The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange. Its easy to sample via factory samples.

Start there and come back, and let us know if its a chypre you're really looking for.
    BTW, what I recommended in Homme des Gres straddles the line between sharp Chypre and the Woody Aromatic Polo.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

If you think oakmoss was used in a substantial amount in the second half of the 20th century, then Kraft will break your heart.
    Currently wearing: Walimah by Areej le Doré

This post has had me stumped for the last couple of days. Everything I thought of would either be considered dated or is too expensive. Finally, I thought of something that I haven't smelled in years. Greenergy by Givenchy. It used to be hard to find, but now I see lots of ebay listings, so that has me puzzled. Perhaps it was re-launched, and in that case, is it still the same? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Polo Modern Reserve is not a Chypre by any stretch of the imagination.
    I recommended you a pretty damn good chypre for the money, and then I got this:

What is THAT supposed to mean?
    As if a chypre with oakmoss smells different in the 90s before it was banned?

Im starting to wonder if you genuinely know what a chypre is supposed to actually smell like now since you somehow think recommending a fougere which is guaranteed to have Lavender and Tonka is somehow supposed to smell like Bergamot, Labdanum and Patchouli to go with the oakmoss.

My post may seem a bit harsh, but I dont think you know what you're looking for because you dont know what a chypre really is.
    Its not smooth, when done right its quite sharp and not really like Polo. To me Polo is more like a Woody Aromatic than a chypre. It only could be chypre because the notes are nearly everything but the kitchen sink.

You want to sample something modern that smells like a real chypre that ISNT under $50?

The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange. Its easy to sample via factory samples.

Start there and come back, and let us know if its a chypre you're really looking for.
    BTW, what I recommended in Homme des Gres straddles the line between sharp Chypre and the Woody Aromatic Polo.
    I know exactly what I'm looking for.. a modern chypre. I gave specifics throughout this post of what I want and don't want, and yet you seem to be offended or something? I'm not looking to argue. Don't question my knowledge just because you're confused. I know what a chypre is, and I know what a fougere is, and lavender is one of my least liked notes, so I don't want that.

So according to you.. Modern Reserve is not a chypre? And according to you Polo is is a woody aromatic, not a chypre? Haha.. ok.. moving on.

Either contribute to the post or go away. I'm not looking to sample expensive niche frags, I already clarified that. So please don't recommend them.

I know you may think you have the answers to everything, but you don't here. you've been of no help to me, and just frustration. I see you tend to act this way to other people on the forum too. If you don't know what can help me, then just don't type here.. please.

And this post may sound rude too, but I am just blunt, and being thorough so you can understand. don't take it personal.

Quote Originally Posted by nucker View Post
    This post has had me stumped for the last couple of days. Everything I thought of would either be considered dated or is too expensive. Finally, I thought of something that I haven't smelled in years. Greenergy by Givenchy. It used to be hard to find, but now I see lots of ebay listings, so that has me puzzled. Perhaps it was re-launched, and in that case, is it still the same? I don't know.
    It's funny you mention this because it has been on my test list forever, and just recently I've seen bottles showing up a lot. Kind of like the case with Bowling Green. I have always been interesting in Greenergy, I think I will check it out soon. Thanks for the recommendation!

I will report back in a couple weeks.

Have you tried Cartier L'Envol EDP?
    MY UK SPLITS (2018): NICHE / DESIGNER

How about Eucris?

Its an uncompromising oakmoss bomb, though perhaps technically not a cyphre. It does not smell dated to me (neither does it smell modern...it just is), and has a lot of the semi dry aromatic smoky tones of Polo. Ignore the 1912 release date, I swear it does not smell like that era, and I think we’re smelling a modern interpretation.

You should be able to get a smaller bottle for around $50. I think.

Another is Jacomo de Jacomo. Vintage is a good value to get the moss fix (again, possibly at or around $50). It shares some DNA with Eucris, actually. Smoother and sweeter, and it specifically smells modern to me, given its early 80s release.

I think an avid Polo fan will appreciate both of these...I am, and I do!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    How about Eucris?

Its an uncompromising oakmoss bomb, though perhaps technically not a cyphre. It does not smell dated to me (neither does it smell modern...it just is), and has a lot of the semi dry aromatic smoky tones of Polo. Ignore the 1912 release date, I swear it does not smell like that era, and I think we’re smelling a modern interpretation.

Another is Jacomo de Jacomo. Vintage is a good value to get the moss fix (again, possibly at or around $50). It shares some DNA with Eucris, actually. Smoother and sweeter, and it specifically smells modern to me, given its early 80s release.

I don't think Eucris has been changed, but like Fougère Royale, set such a standard that it literally is the litmus strip weighed against others in the genre.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

How about Eucris?

Thank you for these recommendations. I have never tried anything from Trumper. Just don't see them anywhere except online. How is current Jacomo de Jacomo, or have you tried it? It's the one Jacomo fragrance I've been putting off testing for a long time too, as it remains on my watched items list on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Have you tried Cartier L'Envol EDP?
    I do have 2 mini bottles of this, and don't care for it at all. Very bland frag imo. I do see how it could be interpreted as something I might be interested in.

I'm kind of looking for something a long the lines of Itasca or Fou d'Absinthe.

I'm kind of looking for something a long the lines of Itasca or Fou d'Absinthe.
    I've seen Crown Fougere being compared to Fou d'Absinthe, but it has lavender in it.
    Last edited by morrison74; 26th November 2018 at 04:14 PM.
    MY UK SPLITS (2018): NICHE / DESIGNER

I would like something similar to Polo. I think Pol is perfect. All formulations, even current. I love Polo, I think it's a masterpiece, a timeless classic, not dated at all.
    Given how this thread has progressed (or not) so far, might I suggest just wearing Polo and living a long, happy life? Like others have said, this is basically a white whale search given your criteria, and you don't seem nearly as open to suggestions/recommendations as you probably think you are.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Let's Dance

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Given how this thread has progressed (or not) so far, might I suggest just wearing Polo and living a long, happy life? Like others have said, this is basically a white whale search given your criteria, and you don't seem nearly as open to suggestions/recommendations as you probably think you are.
    I concur. Unless the OP is willing to get Chanel pour Monsieur (which he may find dated) or Christopher Street which is $100 (US$) for 30 ml (but can be had for $75-$80 when on sale). Moreover, none of these smell like Polo.

Wasn't there a Polo knockoff (Classic Match or something) that many BNers spoke highly of?

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post

Wasn't there a Polo knockoff (Classic Match or something) that many BNers spoke highly of?

Yeah, that might actually be the way to go. I think they were just talking about this....

double.

Frickin’ phone posting.

Thank you for these recommendations. I have never tried anything from Trumper. Just don't see them anywhere except online. How is current Jacomo de Jacomo, or have you tried it? It's the one Jacomo fragrance I've been putting off testing for a long time too, as it remains on my watched items list on Ebay.
    I have never tried modern Jacomo as I found a super low price on a vintage mini and just went for that. I haven’t read that it’s poorly done though.

Probably worth getting a sample or decant of Eucris. Even if it isn’t what you’re looking for here, it’s a reference oakmoss with lots of character.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I concur. Unless the OP is willing to get Chanel pour Monsieur (which he may find dated) or Christopher Street which is $100 (US$) for 30 ml (but can be had for $75-$80 when on sale). Moreover, none of these smell like Polo.

I like Chanel pour Mons a lot! But I can't stand the dry down. Too powdery. I love the opening.

To the person that recommended Jacomo de Jacomo.. I did buy a small a bottle and here are my thoughts:

Initially - very dark fragrance. I get a lot of a burnt rubber vibe, which I sometimes get from heavy clove scents (Zirh Ikon good example). Overall very dark, very fitting of a black bottle..I don't think it's the right fragrance for the genre, but it is however what I was expecting.. been reading bout this one since years ago, and I knew what I was getting into. I'm sensing a bit of lavender after the initial burnt rubber/clove and oakmoss opener, giving it a soapy sort of feel.. l can already tell it goes down a road I don't like going down much. I keep losing interest as it becomes soapier. Smells like another boring clean 80s frag, which basically opens up dark, and winds up smelling like cheap hotel soap bars.

Very glad I didn't buy a full bottle. I love the opening though! but, not what I was looking for based on this thread.

Next of the recommendations, I will be sampling Greenergy. actually i bought a bottle for around $33 shipped.

What I do have on the list to try after that is:
    Chypre 21
    Roger and Gallet L'homme (have sample coming)
    1828 Jules Verne (sample coming soon)

What I won't be trying:
    Homme de Gres

As for the rest, trust me, I've thoroughly looked over this thread, and taken all frags into consideration, but based on my criteria, mostly price point and availability. Many I wasn't able to find samples for, or sample prices were ludicrous. The other half of the recommendations are things I already have or have tried. Wardrobe feature is good to check out on some people, I have made it abundantly clear that I use it for both my collection and things I've tried, as well as do my best to rate every fragrance so others will know how I feel before recommending it.

I look forward to trying more of these from this thread, and reporting back with my thoughts! Thanks to everyone for trying to help, I know when you're picky, it's hard to find the right one. Beggars can't be choosers, as the saying goes!

To the person that recommended Jacomo de Jacomo.. I did buy a small a bottle and here are my thoughts:

Initially - very dark fragrance. I get a lot of a burnt rubber vibe, which I sometimes get from heavy clove scents (Zirh Ikon good example). Overall very dark, very fitting of a black bottle..I don't think it's the right fragrance for the genre, but it is however what I was expecting.. been reading bout this one since years ago, and I knew what I was getting into. I'm sensing a bit of lavender after the initial burnt rubber/clove and oakmoss opener, giving it a soapy sort of feel.. l can already tell it goes down a road I don't like going down much. I keep losing interest as it becomes soapier. Smells like another boring clean 80s frag, which basically opens up dark, and winds up smelling like cheap hotel soap bars.

Very glad I didn't buy a full bottle. I love the opening though! but, not what I was looking for based on this thread.

Next of the recommendations, I will be sampling Greenergy. actually i bought a bottle for around $33 shipped.

What I do have on the list to try after that is:
    Chypre 21
    Roger and Gallet L'homme (have sample coming)
    1828 Jules Verne (sample coming soon)

What I won't be trying:
    Homme de Gres

As for the rest, trust me, I've thoroughly looked over this thread, and taken all frags into consideration, but based on my criteria, mostly price point and availability. Many I wasn't able to find samples for, or sample prices were ludicrous. The other half of the recommendations are things I already have or have tried. Wardrobe feature is good to check out on some people, I have made it abundantly clear that I use it for both my collection and things I've tried, as well as do my best to rate every fragrance so others will know how I feel before recommending it.

I look forward to trying more of these from this thread, and reporting back with my thoughts! Thanks to everyone for trying to help, I know when you're picky, it's hard to find the right one. Beggars can't be choosers, as the saying goes!
    I look forward to reading your impression of Greenergy. I remember it having a nice mossy base. I hope that it is more or less intact.

Just out of curiousity, was that vintage (blue lettering on the bottle) or modern? I haven't smelled the modern, but that "generic hotel soap" base seems to be a common replacement for oakmoss, or a symptom of whatever aromachemicals they use to replace oakmoss.

I wore the vintage one the other day, and "soapy" isn't particularly a word that would come to mind at any point. I find it fairly warm, incensey and just mossy and dark throughout. Its smoothness is was a characteristic that really surprised me about it, actually. But hey, all noses are different!

Just out of curiousity, was that vintage (blue lettering on the bottle) or modern? I haven't smelled the modern, but that "generic hotel soapy" base seems to be a common replacement for oakmoss, or a symptom of whatever aromachemicals they use to replace oakmoss.

I wore the vintage one the other day, and "soapy" isn't particularly a word that would come to mind at any point. I find it fairly warm, incensy and just mossy and dark throughout. It's smoothness is was a characteristic that really surprised me about it, actually. But hey, all noses are different!
    Right, I wore vintage JdJ about a week ago and for me it was mostly woody/spicy, whereas from what I remember of the formulation of 8 or 9 years ago, it was more lavender-oriented, with stronger clove.

47432776_1678877105545889_589429062456311808_n.jpg

Will try it again tonight if this DHI ever wears off!

Update, the code reads as 1086304

Maybe someone can help me find the batch date? Cause i sure as hell can't find it anywhere online. I have read it with a magnifying glass, that is what it says on bottle.

47432776_1678877105545889_589429062456311808_n.jpg

Will try it again tonight if this DHI ever wears off!

Update, the code reads as 1086304

Maybe someone can help me find the batch date? Cause i sure as hell can't find it anywhere online. I have read it with a magnifying glass, that is what it says on bottle.
    I think that should be "vintage," but one can't assume the bottle design must be the determining factor, especially with mini splash bottles.

I have that same kind of mini bottle and think of it as vintage, though to Bigsly’s point, I’m not 100% sure on the date. Regardless, I perceive it as warm/dark/mossy. Guess you are just more soap-sensitive than me!