Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Modern Chypres Under $50?

@Livejazz and Bigsly.. are you getting lavender at all from this one?

I think this is more of a fougere than chypre for sure.
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephen Hawking

^Maybe a little on top, but it burns off to mostly clove/cinnamon and incense with maybe a little tobacco/amber (not listed) tone. And moss. I think there’s supposed to be patchouli in there, but it’s hard for me to pick out as a component of the base structure.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver by Carven

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    ^Maybe a little on top, but it burns off to mostly clove/cinnamon and incense with maybe a little tobacco/amber (not listed) tone. And moss. I think there’s supposed to be patchouli in there, but it’s hard for me to pick out as a component of the base structure.
    I'll try it on again later.. but it's reminding me a lot of Zirh Ikon which I didn't much care for.

I'm really looking for something much greener, not so much "black".
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephen Hawking

So I wore Jacomo de Jacomo again, and I didn't get as much lavender.. but then again i feel asleep after it was only on skin for about 20 minutes. i seemed to have enjoyed it more this time.. but i still think it's too dark. I''ll probably eventually get a big bottle, but for now, I'm not looking to spend any extra on thing I don't want.

I did blind buy Grenergy which came today, and I think it's mediocre at best. I'm getting a lot of citrus, and it really reminds me of Givenchy Blue Label, but it also reminds me of something else that I already own. I can't put my finger on it yet. I wanna say a Bond 007 frag. I'll have to wear it some more first before deciding for sure. Being that it's gonna be in the 40's again here in Florida, I'd rather use the opportunity (the little opportunity that we have here) to wear something like Le Male, or Black Vanilla Absolute, maybe Black Walnut, or something else I rarely can wear because it's just never cold enough.

To all my fellow Floridan's here on BN, enjoy our short short Winter's with those good ones that never get any play!

Today I got Trophee in the mail, by Lancome.. recommended to me from a BN'er via PM. I tried this once many years ago, a small little mini bottle that I paid a pretty penny for way back when. I remember not loving it, maybe at that time I wasn't as respectful to these types of frags, I just wanted "panty droppers". I obtained a 20th anniversary bottle, and it smells fantastic. Reminds me of Chanel pour Monsieur meets Escada pH. It's definitely green but also super smooth, it's kinda like a perfect mix of a chypre and fougere, or maybe even an oriental chypre? The guy who recommended it was spot on when he said it's CpM without the musky dry down.

HOWEVER.. it's not mossy or earthy enough for what I'm looking for.. but it's surely a winner, and glad I got a bottle!

Also on the Greenergy, I wound up returning it.. seems a bit boring to me. Seems more aquatic and blue than green really. Kinda smells cheap too. The box it came in had the old Givenchy name at the bottom, but was etched out, but no serial on the box or bottle, so who knows when it's from.

I recently blind bought a bottle of Spark Seduction based on just looking through some reviews. All I can say is wow.. who would have thought.. a $15 discontinued fragrance could smell so good. Now maybe i am jumping to conclusions too soon. I have worn it the past 2 days. Longevity is actually impressive for a Claiborne men's frag. The opening i get a TON of delicious pine, it smells soooooo good. EXACTLY what I wanted, it reminds me of Itasca so much that it's crazy. Then as it dries I start to pick on on the tobacco, leather, moss and a little vetiver. There's a sweetness involved, but it's not coming from any gourmand notes thankfully, no vanilla, amber or tonka, so it has to be the rum in this? And yet I scratch my head thinking how could rum mesh into this fragrance, but it does it brilliantly. The dry down is nothing impressive, which is expected for something like this. Heavier on the musk, but a very clean, lavender inspired musk (think CK Be). I don't think I ever tried the original Spark, I wanna say I sampled it, and remember it to be more sweet and gourmand. This is really good! Intoxicating, and addictive imo. I will be wearing it much more and buying back up bottles before they go into hiding.

Has anyone tried Spark Seduction? Thoughts, opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I recently blind bought a bottle of Spark Seduction based on just looking through some reviews. All I can say is wow.. who would have thought.. a $15 discontinued fragrance could smell so good. Now maybe i am jumping to conclusions too soon. I have worn it the past 2 days. Longevity is actually impressive for a Claiborne men's frag. The opening i get a TON of delicious pine, it smells soooooo good. EXACTLY what I wanted, it reminds me of Itasca so much that it's crazy. Then as it dries I start to pick on on the tobacco, leather, moss and a little vetiver. There's a sweetness involved, but it's not coming from any gourmand notes thankfully, no vanilla, amber or tonka, so it has to be the rum in this? And yet I scratch my head thinking how could rum mesh into this fragrance, but it does it brilliantly. The dry down is nothing impressive, which is expected for something like this. Heavier on the musk, but a very clean, lavender inspired musk (think CK Be). I don't think I ever tried the original Spark, I wanna say I sampled it, and remember it to be more sweet and gourmand. This is really good! Intoxicating, and addictive imo. I will be wearing it much more and buying back up bottles before they go into hiding.

Has anyone tried Spark Seduction? Thoughts, opinions?

Interesting! How’d you come across this one? A recommendation?

It sounds like a bargain for $15. I’m particularly curious about how the rum fits in here, as rum/pine isn’t a common combo. I’d order a bottle and take a shot at it, but you know...reducing and everything.
    I'm currently selling: Hermes Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver. If interested, send me a PM.

Thanks @livejazz @bigsly , sorry late coming back on this. I'm gonna get a book.

OP hope you got /get the scratch that gets your itch !
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis