Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

I am perfuming Lady Macbeth in JHAG Lady Vengeance.
    Not very original but the best I can come up with.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Noa by Cacharel

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    Another scent for Nancy Wake - L'Agent by Agent Provocateur.
    I'm restricted to my Feb rotation and was trying to think of someone for Agent Provocateur. I hadn't heard of Nancy Wake until I saw this post - BN filling in gaps in my education again!

Anyway, I'm going with Ben Franklin, for his scientific achievements and general interest in all things - I remember being fascinated by pictures of him out in a storm playing with lightning when I was a Childcraft Encyclopaedia devouring 10 year old. This may have been the very picture I saw ...

bf.jpg

So, how could I scent such an august personage from my February rotation of ten perfumes? Well, in view of his modernity, very human worries ("I guess I don't so much mind being old, as I mind being fat and old."), and above all, sense of humour, I'm sure he'd have happily rocked one of my personal favourites:

fatelectrician1.jpg
    Currently wearing: La Colonia by Oliver & Co.

Basenotes Plus

I could picture Emily Dickinson in violets, so I’m wearing Guerlain Les Météorites today.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Dependent

I like this synch. I thought about a lot of different options, but ended up perfuming American poet Elizabeth Bishop with CB I Hate Perfume 7 Billion Hearts. The tagline of the perfume is "Somebody Loves Us All," which is the last line of my favorite poem of hers, "Filling Station. "

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...illing-station

sea roses, I loved learning about your historical figure!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Ebenas, that is a truly inspired choice!

Sea Roses, Bouboulina is also a heroine of mine! l'll never forget seeing her telescope in the National Historical Museum in Athens.

Taking my cue from Sea Roses, l've decided to scent the great Maria Callas with Black Orchid today. By all accounts she wore Chanel No. 5, but l think this suits her dark, smouldering beauty much better.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

ebenas what a fantastic choice. I think I remember that picture myself.

I'm in Chanel 22 in homage to Marcel Duchamp. Abstract, unisex, brilliant, and created in the 1920s when he was very active.
    Last edited by Hazel5; 16th February 2019 at 03:58 AM.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post

Anyway, I'm going with Ben Franklin
    Brilliant.

Basenotes Plus

I'm going with vintage Colony by Patou (1938), to honor King Charles II of England, who was the first monarch to receive a pineapple grown in Britain.

Because Colony is all about the pineapple, baby!

This is always one of my favorite syncs! Unfortunately, I took the easy route today. This morning, my toddler was having one of his meltdowns, and we were running late for work and school. I was kind of thinking about syncing with somebody related to World War I, since I am teaching a class right now about that era, but I didn't have time to ponder my choices. Instead, I grabbed 1899 by Histoires de Parfums, which was inspired by Ernest Hemingway.
    Currently wearing: El Paso by Lomani

Always be smelling

Weil Kipling - for my friend Rudyard
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Scenting Cleopatra with Vallee Des Rois by Mira Takla

It’s For my SOTE I will wear Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano for (this is a stretch) Florence Nightingale.

I wanted to scent and honor a nurse for my mom, who is a pediatric nurse and who is staying with us to pediatrically nurse her new granddaughter, allowing me and my wife to sleep occasionally. I had never seen her in action with infants much; she was born for it, and it’s a beautiful thing to behold. Biased I may be - but nurses are the best.

I bought Tabacco Toscano in Florence, and SMN is based there, so the scent reminds me of the city and the name.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

Another JHAG Lady Vengeance checking in, but I'm using it for Isabella of France as I am reading a book about her right now.
    Last edited by ShortRibs; 15th February 2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ShortRibs View Post
    Another JHAG Lady Vengeance checking in, but I'm using it for Isabella of France as I am reading a book about her right now.
    Could you please share with us the name of te book?
    I am wearing Rouge by Dita von Teese and i would scent Aspasia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspasia)
    LOVE IS BEST http://sophiloves.simplesite.com/429114763
    ...like Odysseus find your own 'Ithaca"
    Currently wearing: Eau Sensuelle by Rochas

Yes, it is Queen Isabella: Adultery, Treachery, and Murder in Medieval England by Allison Weir.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ShortRibs; 15th February 2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: I'm bad at Tapatalk

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    weil kipling - for my friend rudyard
    lmao
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: L'Arbre by Iunx

*Brilliant* sync, Ebanas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Decided on Mitsouko.

Charlie Chaplin wore it at one point he was the most famous man in the world besides Mickey Mouse.
    Interesting fact. I'd glad you shared this with us
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Darjeeling Incense/Dry Woods Day...oh I need some advice for this sync.

For dry woods Chene and Tam dao comes to mind. Avignon and maybe Filles en Aiguilles for incence with ( Relatively) dry woods

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    How up to date is your wardrobe? I’d think an Amber would work due to the use of benzoin. The drier the better, but whatever works for you.
    Move seen Citrus & Wood compared to TdH, so that seems pretty woody.
    Cannabis Rose because I somehow associate pot smokers with the burning of incense?
    Jardin Sur le Nil has some nice frankincense in the base, and is relatively dry - tart and green notes (rather than sweet and fruity) combined with dry woods.

I’m in the middle of summer, so these more autumnal and wintery scents are a bit of a challenge, plus I’ve left many of my scents behind temporarily. Luckily Friday will be a bit cooler which makes things easier to wear.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    You could also go with Yatagan. It’s more commonly classified as a leather, but there’s a definitely a dry woodsy tone in there, and some hints of smoke.

I’ll go with Comme des Garcons Black for this one. Sweetish, bright, peaty smoke/incense and dry woods. I love wearing this one! And I know Darjeeling likes this house.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    You could also go with Yatagan. It’s more commonly classified as a leather, but there’s a definitely a dry woodsy tone in there, and some hints of smoke.

I’ll go with Comme des Garcons Black for this one. Sweetish, bright, peaty smoke/incense and dry woods. I love wearing this one! And I know Darjeeling likes this house.
    i missed Yatagan. There definitely enough woods there.

And I love Black. Unfortunately I think I left my bottle in Japan, but there’s a good chance I’ll be wearing a CdG scent (or possibly Tam Dao).
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.

Freed from BN Institution

Creed Spice and Wood and Bois du Portugal are the first things that came to my mind. Plenty to choose from though.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I am going with Indian Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn
    DONNA

Friday starts in 3 hours for me. Think I’ll go with Serge Noire.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Finally, a sync I can understand! Most of them this year have been a bit of a challenge for me.

I'm going with: La Fumée Classic

by Miller Harris. Frankincense, dry cedar/birch/sandal, and enough cumin and cardamom to keep me interested.

Dependent

I am pretty sure I don't have any "dry" woods, and any incense is probably going to be in the late drydown. Fragrances of the World calls both Stash and Nanban classic woods, though, so I'll probably go with one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz B View Post
    I am pretty sure I don't have any "dry" woods, and any incense is probably going to be in the late drydown. Fragrances of the World calls both Stash and Nanban classic woods, though, so I'll probably go with one of those.

Great choices. Although I don’t own them, they sound like exactly the type of woody scents I get into. Stash is on my to buy list because it sounds right up my alley in terms of wood and incense, and is so reasonable. I almost bought Nanban too, but the price discouraged me from making a blind buy.

It's completely up to date darjeeling. I haven't bought anything new in several years. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    How up to date is your wardrobe? I’d think an Amber would work due to the use of benzoin. The drier the better, but whatever works for you.
    Move seen Citrus & Wood compared to TdH, so that seems pretty woody.
    Cannabis Rose because I somehow associate pot smokers with the burning of incense?
    Jardin Sur le Nil has some nice frankincense in the base, and is relatively dry - tart and green notes (rather than sweet and fruity) combined with dry woods.

I’m in the middle of summer, so these more autumnal and wintery scents are a bit of a challenge, plus I’ve left many of my scents behind temporarily. Luckily Friday will be a bit cooler which makes things easier to wear.

Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast