Code of Conduct
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

I think I’m going to have to go with Guerlain Homme for it’s laid back summery vibes and mojito (rum!) accord.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

I'll be Synching in Guerlain Vetiver, because my Wikipedia searches on Miami suggested that the city has a substantial Cuban-American population.
    Drawing tenuous links, from Miami to Cuba, and from Cuba to tobacco > Guerlain Vetiver , which is the summery frag with the most notable tobacco note in my Wardrobe.
    Thought I would have to sit this week out, but Sorted !
    Spring/early summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge L'Eau; Etro Palais Jamais, Shaal Nur, Dianthus and Gomma; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling and Blenheim Bouquet; Comme des Garcons Zagorsk and Avignon; Dior Fahrenheit; and L.T. Piver Heliotrope
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    And I'm interested to see how many people dust off that bottle of Florida Water.

There's an idea. I tend to use it more as a room/home scent, so maybe I'll sprinkle some around the house as part of the sync! Also would have been great for the April Fizz sync!

As for scents on the body, I'm veering between salt/ocean themed (Sel Marin), Miami Vice (Kouros) and tropical...and now that I think about it, Kouros Fraicheur, which is Kouros with pineapple on top, would be perfect.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 11th April 2019 at 03:50 PM. Reason: clarity
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    Thank you for your kind words and support last week. It's been hard, but we're doing OK.

Unfortunately, I recently had another close relative pass away and will be attending the funeral on Friday. I don't think it's appropriate for me to wear Virgin Island Water, which I was planning to wear as my fun, tropical Miami sync on Friday, so I've opted to wear it a day early instead.
    My sincere condolence to you and your family.

Virgin Island Water is an excellent pick, even if it's a day early
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    There's an idea. I tend to use it more as a room/home scent, so maybe I'll sprinkle some around the house as part of the sync! Also would have been great for the April Fizz sync!

As for actual scents, I'm veering between salt/ocean themed (Sel Marin), Miami Vice (Kouros) and tropical...and now that I think about it, Kouros Fraicheur, which is Kouros with pineapple on top, would be perfect.
    Never tried Kouros Fraicheur, that would be an interesting choice to pick.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

For the synch I'm concidering Elixir des Merveilles, Dune or Datura noir.

Basenotes Plus

There's an idea. I tend to use it [Florida Water] more as a room/home scent, so maybe I'll sprinkle some around the house as part of the sync!
    Plus you'd get all the good voodoo/santeria mojo blessing your house:

http://voodoopriestman.com/blog/the-florida-water/

I used to browse a botanica in New Orleans where all the santeria people shopped, and they really do go through gallons of the stuff.

I've decided on Terracotta Le Parfum by Guerlain - tropical flowers & coconut.
    Last edited by CuddleCat; 12th April 2019 at 04:02 AM.

I will go with Creed Millesime Imperial

Today I went with Celebrate Life by Escada from a carded vial I got while buying something - some tropical fruit and lots of sugary sweet vanilla, and the name that feels suitable for Miami. I wore it before only as a comfort scent before going to bed and it was fine for that, but as a SOTD it's a bit too sweet for me. I freshened it up with some Pink Grapefruit by The Body Shop, but it gets overpowered still. It's quite synthetic sweet, joyful and youthful, but it doesn't feel like "me". I never was a fan of Escada, but I've gotten some of them as gifts in my teen years (I agree, their scents are fun and very suitable for teens), and somehow tester vials of their stuff still find their way into my home from time to time. I have a friend who enjoys their scents (and they actually fit her naturally cheery, bubbly and girly personality), too bad she lives abroad now. Maybe I should send her a package?

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Today I went with Celebrate Life by Escada from a carded vial I got while buying something - some tropical fruit and lots of sugary sweet vanilla, and the name that feels suitable for Miami. I wore it before only as a comfort scent before going to bed and it was fine for that, but as a SOTD it's a bit too sweet for me. I freshened it up with some Pink Grapefruit by The Body Shop, but it gets overpowered still. It's quite synthetic sweet, joyful and youthful, but it doesn't feel like "me". I never was a fan of Escada, but I've gotten some of them as gifts in my teen years (I agree, their scents are fun and very suitable for teens), and somehow tester vials of their stuff still find their way into my home from time to time. I have a friend who enjoys their scents (and they actually fit her naturally cheery, bubbly and girly personality), too bad she lives abroad now. Maybe I should send her a package?
    You should give Phaedon Pluie de Soleil a try. This one has a sweet fruity tropical feel to it - pineapple, strawberry, lemons, bergamot, freesia, sandalwood, and musk. It makes me think of a body spray. A very youthful and playful feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    You should give Phaedon Pluie de Soleil a try. This one has a sweet fruity tropical feel to it - pineapple, strawberry, lemons, bergamot, freesia, sandalwood, and musk. It makes me think of a body spray. A very youthful and playful feel to it.
    Thank you for the recommendation! I'll put it into my "to try" list so that I can remember to test it if I ever come across it. I don't think I can find it in any Lithuanian store to try, so I'll leave it for when I dive deep enough into this to start ordering samples online which probably will happen sooner or later anyway.

Blog Entries

As mentioned earlier, l'm stretching the interpretation of this one a little bit. Because the Florida Keys are close to Miami, l'm testing my recently blind-bought purse spray of Greek Keys by Sarah Baker Perfumes. lt just so happens that this one is a bracing citrus with lots of calone to evoke that ocean breeze vibe, so l think it would probably work pretty well in Miami.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

As for scents on the body, I'm veering between salt/ocean themed (Sel Marin), Miami Vice (Kouros) and tropical...and now that I think about it, Kouros Fraicheur, which is Kouros with pineapple on top, would be perfect.
    I'm going for the Miami Vice thing with Kouros Silver in the gray metallic sports car finish bottle and having a "cherry vinyl new car smell" fragrance!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Azzaro

I smell something

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    I've decided on Terracotta Le Parfum by Guerlain - tropical flowers & coconut.
    CuddleCat I was *thisclose* to twinning you today but went instead with Datura Noir which is similarly tropical and coconutty.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

In Synch with Guerlain Vetiver.

Spring/early summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge L'Eau; Etro Palais Jamais, Shaal Nur, Dianthus and Gomma; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling and Blenheim Bouquet; Comme des Garcons Zagorsk and Avignon; Dior Fahrenheit; and L.T. Piver Heliotrope
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds

20,000 Flowers Under The Sea by Tokyo Milk.

Basenotes Plus

I got all excited when I learned that Don Johnson had once been the frontman for a cologne, but turns it was only marketed in South America, all the ads are in Spanish, and the iconography showcases his San Francisco TV show, not Miami Vice .

I was only in Miami once, and then only for a layover just long enough to take an eating tour of Calle Ocho. So to me, Miami smells like Little Havana -- Cuban food, cigars, and rum drinks. A perfect excuse to use my vintage conga drum bottle of Havana that I scored this winter:

Havana_BlueCone_With Conga2.jpg

Basenotes Plus

I'm going for Eau de Soleil Blanc today. From a sample. Citrusy suntan lotion.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Along with the Miami Vice vibe and tropical pineapple note, the white, beachy-Florida Miami architecture reminds me of Kouros bottles!

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

I have not been to Miami, except maybe through the airport. I feel like I know the place, though, from watching Will Smith's documentary.

Last edited by LiveJazz; 12th April 2019 at 08:09 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I thought I would end the day with something bright, green, and aromatic.
    Syncing again this evening with Guerlain Sous Le Vent. I basically coin flipped this between, No 19 and Aubepine Acacia.

My family travelled from Massachusetts to Miami once in mid August 1967 for vacation. So I was a 14 year old sickly pale, sticky, over heated, insecure, morose teenager in an ill fitting one piece bath lime green bathing suit when I hit the beach there. Have never returned. LOL.

Wearing Songes by Annick Goutal for the waxy gardenia note.

Basenotes Institution

Along with the Miami Vice vibe and tropical pineapple note, the white, beachy-Florida Miami architecture reminds me of Kouros bottles!

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

I have not been to Miami, except maybe through the airport. I feel like I know the place, though, from watching Will Smith's documentary.

Ha. That building the Albion I can see from my office window. Literally a couple blocks away. **Miami life** lol

For some reason this reminds me of Miami so I'm wearing it now:

Limed by Madhat Scents

"When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

BRM, my sympathies to you. I am sorry for your loss.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

The power of bleu

I wore Terracotta Le Parfum today for the Miami synch. I’ve been to Miami several times and love it there! In fact I already have a deal with Mike Perez that IF I ever win big in the lottery, he will be finding me the perfect ocean front condo. I will quit my job in an instant and move to Miami (for at least part of the year). I bought Terracotta Le Parfum while on a wonderful shopping trip with Mike. It was not on my radar, but Mike spied a bottle and thought I should give it a try. I loved it and kept going back to my arm to sniff ... I had to circle back to pick up a bottle before leaving. It’s one of those special scents that reminds me of a great trip to a favorite city with a very special friend. Smooches and bear hugs, Mike!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I went with Belle Rives by La Parfumerie Moderne. Never been to Miami though. Only seen it through Lt. Horatio’s eyes
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I went with Belle Rives by La Parfumerie Moderne. Never been to Miami though. Only seen it through Lt. Horatio’s eyes
    I think you mean "through his sunglasses".

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I wore Terracotta Le Parfum today for the Miami synch. I’ve been to Miami several times and love it there! In fact I already have a deal with Mike Perez that IF I ever win big in the lottery, he will be finding me the perfect ocean front condo. I will quit my job in an instant and move to Miami (for at least part of the year). I bought Terracotta Le Parfum while on a wonderful shopping trip with Mike. It was not on my radar, but Mike spied a bottle and thought I should give it a try. I loved it and kept going back to my arm to sniff ... I had to circle back to pick up a bottle before leaving. It’s one of those special scents that reminds me of a great trip to a favorite city with a very special friend. Smooches and bear hugs, Mike!
    For sure. I can't help but think of you and that afternoon when I smell the Guerlain. I love it, it's a great 'Miami scent'!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l looked up "Smells of Miami" & got a load of articles about algae blooms & rotten, sulphurous odours.

l agree that anything beachy would work, plus there's the Everglades nearby, so something aquatic/swampy!

Miami features in Goldfinger; James Bond meets him for the first time there.

Then there's Miami Vice: the suits! The hair!

l'm thinking of stretching the interpretation of this one a bit, but l'll let you know when l've decided.

Of course, one of mike's favourites would probably do!
    I think New West or New West for Her by Aramis would have been very 'Miami Vice'. I love both.

-- Eckhart Tolle

There are tons of places that I've never been to before.

One that comes to mind would be Greece. A fellow individual here has mentioned Greece quite a few times so that one seems to stick out at the moment. Plenty to choose from.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast