Code of Conduct
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    I really did find Topaze to have a golden warmth. More of a smiling bitchiness over brunch at the country club sort as opposed to Ivoire's iced, strong-shouldered boardroom bitchiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Topaze is a "Bless your heart" kind of bitchiness
    Ivore sounds like an aqua net and massive shoulderpadded blouse kind of mean.
    You're both 100% spot-on about Ivoire -- and one of you hasn't even smelled it!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    You're both 100% spot-on about Ivoire -- and one of you hasn't even smelled it!
    Ivore rhymes with Tipper Gore, so I went with my gut.
    Also, I'd love to sample it but I fear it's probably a unicorn like most older Balmains.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Island Lime by Avon

So I ended up wearing Bond 9 I Love NY for Fathers today. My wife bought me this bottle right before our son was born, and I like to wear it on Father's Day. My dad doesn't wear fragrances, but I enjoyed wearing this one in his honor today. My dad has gone through a lot in the past year with the loss of my mother and his own major health issues, and this made me think about him.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Also, I'd love to sample it but I fear it's probably a unicorn like most older Balmains.
    It really isn't. Doesn't have the status of Jolie Madame or Miss Balmain. You can still get decent 50mls of Ivoire for <$50, and there's tons of minis around in the $10-15 range.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

It really isn't. Doesn't have the status of Jolie Madame or Miss Balmain. You can still get decent 50mls of Ivoire for <$50, and there's tons of minis around in the $10-15 range.
    *diabolical laugh*

Freed from BN Institution

I'm surprised by all these unscented parental units. It had always seemed to me like Basenoters were forever reminiscing about their scented childhood memories of moms and dads.
    My grandpa though wore Avon but I don't have any Avon fragrances.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I'm in that category! My dad wore Brut, Hai Karate, assorted drugstore aftershaves and (BA-DA-BING) vintage Givenchy Gentleman. Mom wore White Shoulders, some kind of feminine cologne water in a goblet-shaped, textured, clear glass bottle, and Chloe.

So it's vintage GG today!

PS - my favorite fragrant memories were the neighbor ladies and friends of my parents, who wore way too much perfume.
    Givenchy Gentlemen is a solid choice, your father must have had good tastes.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    I knew my dad loved his Stetson, but I didn't realize how much until I found 8 backup bottles in his dresser after he died. I don't have any of that where I am, so I'm not sure I can participate today. But I'm loving all the posts!
    What that his only scent that he wore?

I can see myself owning that many bottles for a few of my own choices, some of the classic Chanels as examples.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    What that his only scent that he wore?

I can see myself owning that many bottles for a few of my own choices, some of the classic Chanels as examples.
    It was the only scent he chose for himself. I had gifted him some Marc Jacobs Bang once and he complained he received no compliments on it and returned to Stetson. LOL

I will not be joining in this week either.

I hate fragrance combing, for me its boring and all I got when I tried a few times was the last one I sprayed on nothing different or WOW!

I know others who really enjoy doing it but a no from me.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I will not be joining in this week either.

I hate fragrance combing, for me its boring and all I got when I tried a few times was the last one I sprayed on nothing different or WOW!

I know others who really enjoy doing it but a no from me.
    I'm not into it either. I figure the perfumer (hopefully) put a lot of thought into how notes and aromachemicals combine to make a cohesive whole, and smashing a whole other scent on top blows up all that calibration and artistry.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Aura for Men by Jacomo

Wearing Perfume Right Now

A fragrance layering theme. Interesting.

It's not something I pursue or ever intentionally experiment with, but inadvertently, sometimes, from decanting, or sampling, I'll accidentally combine a couple fragrances on my skin that smell better than either fragrance on its own, at least for a little while.
    Last edited by Bavard; 22nd May 2019 at 10:17 PM.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Can't say I'll be joining this one either.

Basenotes Plus

I'm out too. My few experiments with layering have been disasters, and I agree with LiveJazz that it subverts the intentions of the perfumers.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I agree with LiveJazz that it subverts the intentions of the perfumers.
    I don't necessarily care about that. I'm all for a happy accident, along the lines of the Fahrenheit backstory. But I'm still trying to come up to speed on wearing perfumes by themselves - mixing them tends to be too much information for my brain.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I don’t mind layering occasionally. I usually do it to try and make something woodier.

Unfortunately im still in the grip of a horrible head cold and haven’t worn any fragrance since Wednesday last week, and I don’t anticipate being i a position to enjoy fragrance tomorrow either. *woe is me, woe is me, goes off to wallow in self pity*
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Anyone else going to join in, or will I be on my own ? I didn't suggest this synch, btw.
    The 'single-note' Etro frags combine well, and I'll be synching in either Gomma+Dianthus (a carnation-prominent leather, in a Knize Ten or vintage Equipage stylee), or a second trial of Sandalo+Heliotrope. If it were winter, I'd try layering Vetiver and Patchouly.
    Spring/early summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge L'Eau; Etro Palais Jamais, Shaal Nur, Dianthus and Gomma; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling and Blenheim Bouquet; Comme des Garcons Zagorsk and Avignon; Dior Fahrenheit; and L.T. Piver Heliotrope

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I don’t mind layering occasionally. I usually do it to try and make something woodier.

Unfortunately im still in the grip of a horrible head cold and haven’t worn any fragrance since Wednesday last week, and I don’t anticipate being i a position to enjoy fragrance tomorrow either. *woe is me, woe is me, goes off to wallow in self pity*
    That is sucky.
    I will wear an extra couple of layers for you
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Palais Jamais by Etro

Wasn't my suggestion either but I'll be here, incense+heliotrope! I'm not a big fragrance combiner but there are a few combos I really enjoy. And I do think playing around with layering is fun, with certain houses/lines which lend themselves to that (Etro and JM, for example). I don't buy for the purpose of layering but sampling never hurt anyone.

The combo I have in mind for tomorrow is a recommendation given by Jean-Claude Ellena in an interview years back. See you tomorrow!

I have a cold and can barely smell anything, but I will join tomorrow. I've sucsessfully layered Samsara and Tam dao, so will do that

I don't have anything in mind as for combining or layering so I might sit this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    I have a cold and can barely smell anything, but I will join tomorrow. I've sucsessfully layered Samsara and Tam dao, so will do that
    Get well soon Ins!

Basenotes Member

I'll be joining in tomorrow - I missed last week due to travelling and taking an internet break.

I have a couple of simple perfumes that I like to layer - haven't decided yet if I'll go for a "tried and true" combination or something really different yet. I'll go with whatever whim strikes me when I get up in the morning.

Basenotes Plus

I was kind of hoping someone might jump in who has that Kirkland Blending Collection that's for sale at Costco:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/464...ing-Collection

I'm wearing two scents but one on each arm - not layered on top of each other - LPRN Black Perfecto & LPRN EDP both by Guerlain. I really loved this combination when I was comparing them to each other earlier this year so thought I 'd repeat the experience for today's sync.

When I owned a bottle of Ava Luxe Dark Amber, I used to layer it with aldehyde-heavy florals. Maybe later today, I will try my Amber Flush body oil with No.5 Eau Premiere & see how they meld together.
    Currently wearing: Coco by Chanel

ineespenes, get well soon!

I'm in synch today with Frescaessenza by L'Erbolario + Pink Grapefruit by The Body Shop.

I usually don't mix & match fragrances, but I tried this combo a while ago and have been repeating it since from time to time. Frescaessenza is a very dry (not in a sense of sour, as in wine, but as in not wet, like sand or powder) woody, grassy and a bit musky fragrance, it's very serious, calm, unisex, and I wanted to give it some more juiciness and happy attitude, so I tried mixing it with Pink Grapefruit - and I liked the result.
    Currently wearing: Rabarbaro by L'Erbolario

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Layering often works well within houses, and/or by the same perfumer, merging types in a logical way.

Bleu de Chanel + Chanel feminine = more metro / classy Bleu or a Pour Homme of the feminine.

Floral ethereal + spicy = floriental, e.g.

TDC Jasmin de Nuit + Hermès Un Jardin en Meditérranée

Any case where "something is missing".

To me, layering is like song mash-ups or image layering with transparency. It adds "cool" to an experience, like a DJ, not deep originality.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Globe by Rochas

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'm somewhat randomly layering Azzaro Wanted and Perry Ellis (2018) on one hand, and it's not bad. Wanted adds notable sweetness to Perry Ellis.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Globe by Rochas

Basenotes Member

I felt like something green and different today, so I grabbed the Ffern Spring that I've been wearing a lot and thought I'd add a floral to it. Rose was my first thought, but I didn't want to carry two whole bottles with me to the pool, so I took my sample size of Demeter's Lilac. I think something more husky like gardenia would have been better, but use what you have!

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast