Code of Conduct
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1312
    Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Hoo boy, these geographical syncs have been tough ones this year:

07-12-19 - City #7: Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic

I thought 'caballeros' meant 'cowboys', but Google tells me it means 'gentlemen'.

What's the Dominican Republic famous for? Cigars? Sugar?
    Sounds about right. I’ve also heard knights (I think in an interview with one of my favorite skateboarders in my childhood, Steve Caballero).
    Another slightly tricky one for me in winter. Perhaps Guerlain Homme again with its rum, lime and vetiver. I’m realizing that I’m relying on Guerlain Homme and Kyoto for a lot of my syncs
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Freed from BN Institution

A great time to crack open my Mona di Orio Vanille decant
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I was thinking since this is a creole-culture I can get away with Santal de Mysore. I'm reminded of spicy curry dishes with cumin

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post

Cook.bot, you made me laugh! Can't take the mental image of HoP scenting herself with two bananas out of my head now.
    One, for each arm, baby!
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Mona Vanille for this week's sync
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

In honour of Oscar de la Renta who was born in the Dominican Republic I am wearing
    Oscar perfume
    Oscar perfume.jpg

Blog Entries

l'm going with OSA by Note di Profumum today, for the banana-like note of ylang ylang that plays a starring role.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Well decided on

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Iris Prima by Penhaligon's

Basenotes Plus

In synch with Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Idylle by Guerlain

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    In honour of Oscar de la Renta who was born in the Dominican Republic I am wearing
    Oscar perfume
    Oscar perfume.jpg

Ooooo. Great choice!

I'm starting with Hansa Yellow by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz.

Wore Aventus because I sampled Explorer on my skin yesterday, so I kind of needed to compare. I’m going to claim pineapple works for the sync.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.

I remember eating a lot of mango in the DR, so I decided to wear Un Jardin Sur Le Nil.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    I was thinking since this is a creole-culture I can get away with Santal de Mysore. I'm reminded of spicy curry dishes with cumin
    Definitely!

I went with Roger & Gallet Open, which has a very nice, aromatic, dry cigar tobacco note.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Jules by Christian Dior

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Synced in Fahrenheit, because there's gotta be a gas station somewhere in the city where someone got sloppy with the pump.

Last week was Fahrenheit 0 degré, done by Duchaufour, as were all of the Summer flankers.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Sounds about right. I’ve also heard knights (I think in an interview with one of my favorite skateboarders in my childhood, Steve Caballero).
    Cab was the man, I had a few of his posters on my wall as a kid. Most skaters I was into were the generation after him, or that transition at least. Ed Templeton, Jamie Thomas, Geoff Rowley, Chris Senn, Mike Vallely...basically anyone who rode for Flip, Toy Machine, or Zero. I thought Senn was on another level, he went faster than basically everyone and had great style.

Bunch of skate talent came out of Australia and still does.
    Currently wearing: Blend 30 by Dunhill

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Synced in Le Roy Soleil Homme (1998) because it has a bit of a tropical fruit feeling in the opening before the geranium fougère accord really takes over.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

Synching in Unum Io Non Ho Mani, for the tobacco drydown. Allegedly there is even a ylang note in the heart, which teardrop described above as banana-like.
    September rotation - time for leather, incense, darkness and smoke : Knize Knize Ten, Etro Gomma, Caron Yatagan, Gucci Guilty Absolute, Penhaligon's Elixir, CdG Avignon, Robert Piguet Casbah, Etro Vetiver, Lalique Encre Noire, and Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo.

Might join the sync after a long (un-synced) absence, if either La Martina Hombre or Aramis by Havana (chosen from and judging based on the current personal fragrance lineup) might qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Might join the sync after a long (un-synced) absence, if either La Martina Hombre or Aramis by Havana (chosen from and judging based on the current personal fragrance lineup) might qualify.
    I see you chose the Havana! Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    I see you chose the Havana! Welcome back!

Thank you very much, indeed Havana it was

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

Never got around to a second scent yesterday so... I'm doing another this morning: Banana Flambee by Demeter.

I don't enjoy animalic notes like Hyrax, Castoreum and Civet. There's a few examples that come to mind that I can make an exception to.

Chanel Antaeus utilizes the castoreum in a way that the scent is not unpleasant in anyways.
    Last edited by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer; 18th July 2019 at 08:18 AM.

I think I will join with either Assenzio / Absynthium by L'Erbolario for coriander or Black Opium Intense by YSL for liquorice - both ingredients are absolutely vile and totally inedible but I enjoy the fragrances themselves.
    Or alternatively I can synch with one of the many fragrances that have ylang ylang in the notes. When I smell ylang ylang oil, all I get is a gloriously vomit inducing scent of rotten teeth and unwashed mouth, but when it's drowned out in other scents it can be okay (or unnoticeable to me).

I plan to synch in Le parfum de Therese. I have issues with melon as a note (and fruity scent in general),but I actually like it in this scent ( which is gorgeous by the way

Always be smelling

Galbanum is my nemesis. But I do like No 19 and Miss Dior
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

I've historically not been a fan of heliotrope (the sweet almond-like quality of it puts me off, usually), but have been enjoying Jaipur Homme and Patou Ma Liberte, both of which feature the stuff prominently.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Jules by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus

Maybe a rummage through the sample stash will turn up something with oud or tuberose in it that I like... or can at least tolerate. But I doubt it.

Papsi, I want to hear that you're syncing in No. 19! I just love for men to wear that. I'm wearing a galbanum-bomb today, Ivoire de Balmain. You might like it too -- it's so overloaded with cedar that it's very butch.
    Before the leaves fall, an all-green September:
    Aromatics Elixir / Azuree / Corsica Furiosa / Cristalle / Eau du Sud / Eau Sauvage / Iskander / Ivoire, 1980 / Ivoire, 2012 / Le Canotier / Ninfeo Mio / No. 19 / Prince de Galles Sport / Route de Vetiver / Safari / Silences / Sud Est / Tiare / Vent Vert / Vetiver de Guerlain / Vetiverus / Vert de Acampora

I've always been wary of animalic notes, though recent samplings have made me reconsider both civet (Rogue Chypre-Siam), and castoreum (Mona di Orio Cuir, which was a frequent SOTE on holiday recently. Jasmine is also not a favourite, though I have grown to like Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue , mostly as a SOTN. I'll decide tomorrow.
    September rotation - time for leather, incense, darkness and smoke : Knize Knize Ten, Etro Gomma, Caron Yatagan, Gucci Guilty Absolute, Penhaligon's Elixir, CdG Avignon, Robert Piguet Casbah, Etro Vetiver, Lalique Encre Noire, and Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo.

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    I've always been wary of animalic notes, though recent samplings have made me reconsider both civet (Rogue Chypre-Siam), and castoreum (Mona di Orio Cuir, which was a frequent SOTE on holiday recently. Jasmine is also not a favourite, though I have grown to like Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue , mostly as a SOTN. I'll decide tomorrow.
    Both Chypre-Siam and Derviche are quite wearable despite the civet note, the animalistic accord was minimum in both IMO.

There are a number of notes like this for me, most particularly vanilla, but Annick Menardo has a way with vanilla that seems to let me enjoy the role it plays. Most particularly in Bulgari Black and Bois d’Argent. I only have BdA here with me so that will be my SOTD.

Honorable mention also also goes to LIDGE for helping me accept vanilla at times.

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast