Code of Conduct
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1183
    Always be smelling

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

Galbanum is my nemesis. But I do like No 19 and Miss Dior
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

I've historically not been a fan of heliotrope (the sweet almond-like quality of it puts me off, usually), but have been enjoying Jaipur Homme and Patou Ma Liberte, both of which feature the stuff prominently.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Basenotes Plus

Maybe a rummage through the sample stash will turn up something with oud or tuberose in it that I like... or can at least tolerate. But I doubt it.

Papsi, I want to hear that you're syncing in No. 19! I just love for men to wear that. I'm wearing a galbanum-bomb today, Ivoire de Balmain. You might like it too -- it's so overloaded with cedar that it's very butch.

I've always been wary of animalic notes, though recent samplings have made me reconsider both civet (Rogue Chypre-Siam), and castoreum (Mona di Orio Cuir, which was a frequent SOTE on holiday recently. Jasmine is also not a favourite, though I have grown to like Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue , mostly as a SOTN. I'll decide tomorrow.
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Shaal Nur by Etro

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    I've always been wary of animalic notes, though recent samplings have made me reconsider both civet (Rogue Chypre-Siam), and castoreum (Mona di Orio Cuir, which was a frequent SOTE on holiday recently. Jasmine is also not a favourite, though I have grown to like Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue , mostly as a SOTN. I'll decide tomorrow.
    Both Chypre-Siam and Derviche are quite wearable despite the civet note, the animalistic accord was minimum in both IMO.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

There are a number of notes like this for me, most particularly vanilla, but Annick Menardo has a way with vanilla that seems to let me enjoy the role it plays. Most particularly in Bulgari Black and Bois d’Argent. I only have BdA here with me so that will be my SOTD.

Honorable mention also also goes to LIDGE for helping me accept vanilla at times.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Bright Neroli by Ferrari

Yes to some of the heavy animalic notes but I went with the raspberry/raspberry leaf note. Raspberry notes are often the deal beaker note that ruins a scent for me like it did with Impossible Iris but I do like it in La Petite Robe Noire Couture where it is blended with rose so I'm wearing this scent today for sync.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

I'll pass, on this synch. Oddly, I've come to terms with the few notes I've disliked, in recent months...
    I am purging my wardrobe. See my profile > About Me page > Biography section, for details... check out my swap list to see what I'm selling.

Synching with Chanel Antaeus
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Synching with Chanel Antaeus

What's the note in that one that you usually dislike, N.Cal?

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    What's the note in that one that you usually dislike, N.Cal?
    Castoreum. In addition I also dislike civet and anything animalistic.

4ED2698E-1ED6-4A4A-A872-F3B4DB935584.jpg

I have a love-hate relationship with immortelle notes. But in Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade it is perfectly counterbalanced.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Blog Entries

l've gone with Seville a l'Aube, for the lavender note.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Alien by Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l've gone with Seville a l'Aube, for the lavender note.
    I also dislike lavender!
    I mean, I like its scent in nature or when sniffing lavender flower itself, but I usually dislike all fragrances and cosmetics with the note as I don't like it on myself at all. It's not a strong dislike though, as its a calming and clean scent, just a "ugh, I don't want to smell like that". Maybe I associate it with laundry too much.

Today I'm synching with Black Opium Intense for liquorice. I hate liquorice and I dislike the scent of it, too, but it's also probably not a strong dislike, as seeing myself enjoying Black Opium Intense I think I should come to like it in the future (the smell, not the taste!). Maybe some testing of Lolita Lempicka should be in order - I've been really amused by LL advertisements since I was a kid. Too bad I have only seen it sold in online discounters here and not in physical shops, and I'm hesitant to blind buy it just for testing purposes. I'll keep watching for it.

Notes of coriander, melon, watermelon, cucumber, anise, ylang ylang, apple and pear are also difficult to me, I almost always instantly dislike a fragrance where I can strongly feel them. I tend to hate all women's aquatics but I'm more than okay with men's aquatics. Do they use different aromachemicals to achieve the aquatic smell for female and male marketed scents or is there something else that I hate? I'm confused.
    I think I would strongly dislike civet and anything that gives off a strong urine or fecal smell, but I haven't properly tested these things to know for sure. Who knows.

I have two which for different reasons I avoid like the plague.

Vetiver or as I call it bog body, it is just gassy decaying on me. I have found a few fragrances which have it I can wear if beaten down by other notes. Habanita is one of the first I discovered, in fact, I did not even release it had vetiver.

Neroli turns into an atom bomb on me. It just seems to get stronger and stronger on my skin until I could take down low flying aircraft. I swear it is trying to strangle me.

Then I sampled Louanges Profanes 19 by Parfumerie Generale and fell madly in love, and so far all aircraft are safe.

I decided because it is warm here to go with Louanges Profanes 19 by Parfumerie Generale today.
    DONNA

I usually avoid patchouli like the plague, but I've found I love it in Tara Mantra which I'm wearing today. This is definitely my "funkiest" scent and not one I expected to fall in love with. And yet it's turning into something I reach for in certain moods. It's been great for dress down Fridays or arty Saturday afternoons.
    My current top 5 scents of the moment:
    Root of all Goodness by Parterre
    Tara Mantra by Gri Gri
    Sorong by Pierre Guillaume
    Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors
    The Smell of Freedom by Lush

Fleur d'Oranger by Serge Lutens for the cumin and tuberose, which I usually
    avoid, but here they are used in a gorgeous way.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

SOTM : Guerlain L'Heure Bleue, for the jasmine I still don't much enjoy, but try to ignore when I wear this. Definitely something I only wear in the house.
    SOTA : will be Mona di Orio Cuir, as a complete contrast, having been leery of castoreum in the past, like NCal Fragrance Reviewer.
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Shaal Nur by Etro

Basenotes Plus

Serge Lutens Serge Noire. I think the first perfume to reconcile me to cumin was Alexander McQueen Kingdom. I’ve since come to enjoy it in others such as Femme, Amaranthine, Rose 31, Eau d’Hermes, and of course the aforementioned Fleurs d’Oranger. The enjoyment of cumin comes from the way it lends an earthiness, a carnality, to those perfumes without making them smell like literal sweat or food.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

I don't like musk or aquatic notes so today's choices have both: Inverno Russo by Areej le Dore (musk) and L'Entier by Robert Piguet (aquatic)
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I’m not sure if this counts, but I hate the taste of Loukhoum (Turkish Delight), but I really enjoy wearing Traversee du Bosphore.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Silk Blossom by Jo Malone

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Synced in Vetiver Tonka - Hermès for tonka bean as the offending material.

I think tonka bean smells great on its own (the absolute smells wonderful) but for my tastes, it's often used in a way that renders stuff too frosty sweet -- particularly in modern masculines. I don't like sweet scents for the most part, outside of ambers. Given that VT also has praline and caramel in the pyramid, that is normally something I'd never bother trying, but I did and am a big fan of it. I love vetiver, so that's surely a saving grace here. Everything melds really well, bravo to Ellena for this one...and most of his stuff, really.

A few Areej le Dore scents also really pile on the tonka in a way that works, particularly in Baikal Gris. Basically a green/suede/tonka scent to me. I almost wore that but it's super hot and humid here, and the AC is broken at work. Might have been a little much.

Also wearing a few sprays of another Hermès (Hermèssence) fragrance of my other hand that fits the sync as well. Cuir d'Ange for the heliotrope. That marzipan/sweet/powdery quality is often at odds with my tastes, despite being incredible in things like Après l'Ondée. I love Cuir d'Ange, a rather excellent modern leather. I like the leather handbag vibe and the marzipan aspect is practically non-existent here.

Blog Entries

donna, LOL at "bog body"!

Kotori, yes l'm sure that counts.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Alien by Thierry Mugler

Basenotes Plus

I'm in Indult's Manakara. Rose heavy scents and I don't get along. And I want so much to LOVE rose. But this one somehow works for me. Rose and lychee. Sweet but not too.
    I could have worn Aomassai because many licorice/anise noted frags are off the menu, but this one I love.
    Also, the carrot note has been a turnoff, though I haven't smelt it in many frags. It ruined Choeur Des Angel by Atelier des Ors for me, but I didn't seem to mind it in Panthea by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'm "done with lavender" at the moment, and it kills my desire for many otherwise promising fresh fragrances.

Not so, the new Perry Ellis. Lavender is listed, and it's there, but it does not offend.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I'm "done with lavender" at the moment, and it kills my desire for many otherwise promising fresh fragrances.

Not so, the new Perry Ellis. Lavender is listed, and it's there, but it does not offend.
    If I splash Caron Pour Un Homme on you, will you smoke and recoil like a vampire hit with holy water?
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    If I splash Caron Pour Un Homme on you, will you smoke and recoil like a vampire hit with holy water?
    If so, please provide video link.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.
    Currently wearing: Love's Baby Soft by Love's

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    Bram Stoker's Fragula

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    Bram Stoker's Fragula
    Purple Rain. I still have nightmares when I watch it!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Purple Rain. I still have nightmares when I watch it!
    Spray you with lavender to hear what it sounds like when the doves cry.

(okay I'll stop )

Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast