Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
o

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

I don’t have any of his scents in my wardrobe, but will try to dig out my samples and see if there’s any luck there

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    Thanks to LiveJazz and Blind Sample Pass II, I have a sample of his 1994 Comme des Garcons Parfum for this Friday. Since I don't (yet) own Ouarzazate. I wasn't expecting a Mark Buxton Synch to happen so early in the year.
    Ditto! I have a little left of my sample from LiveJazz, so that's my plan, too. I also have a small dabber of VC&A Cologne Noire, so that will be my backup if I can't make my CdG stretch far enough.

Freed from BN Institution

I only have one choice for the Mark Buxton sync: Le Labo Vetiver 46
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

2 Man looks like the only Buxton scent I have at the moment. Weather forecast is for 28 so it’s a bit of an effort to wear as I prefer it in colder weather despite some Basenoters claiming the frankincense lemony freshness works in the heat. I used to have a decant of CdG 2 which worked much better on the heat with it’s almost soapy aldehydes and diaphanous rose oxide hiding behind the ink note.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

This has been a good opportunity to read up on his scents. I used the list published on NST: https://nstperfume.com/perfumers-a-to-e/mark-buxton/ Unfortunately I have none of his creations in my wardrobe or sample stash.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: High Frequency by Initio

I know I have a sample somewhere of Laguna by Dali (Mark Buxton). If I can dig that out, I’m good to go!

By the way, I’m confused by the April Fizz sync?
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Blog Entries

l've got nothing for today's synch, so l'll be sitting this one out.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Sexual Healing isn't in the directory but, it's my first Mark Buxton for the day. I have at least two others that I am aware of.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...
    Currently wearing: Magnetic Blend 8 by Initio

Basenotes Plus

Had to look up what Mark Buxton has done. Surprise he did do one of my favourites White.
    "For the wise it is easy to go anywhere. Because the whole world is home to a good soul"....Democritus 470-370BC

Strangely I own three from Mark Buxton, all from Commes des Garcons. Never knew that.

But will wear Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons as the box is sitting on the outer edge and easy to just grab. Not in the mood to rummage for the others.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: L'Aimant by Coty

I don't have anything by Mark Buxton - so I'll have to go mooching around a local department store later and update!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Same here. The only one I had was Comme des Garçons Parfum but I finished it years ago.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Parfum Sacré by Caron

I seem to have only two Mark Buxton perfumes: Salvador Dali Laguna and Paco Rabanne Black
    for Her (in conjunction with Emilie Coppermann.) I think I will wear the latter as I don't really love aquatics.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

not right, in the head

Blog Entries

On to Black X's for her.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Almost botched the first sync of the year. I had planned on wearing what I thought was my favorite Mark Buxton creation, Kingdom - Alexander McQueen. The only issue with that is, it's not a Buxton creation - Jacques Cavallier apparently did it. I was positive it was Mark Buxton. I don't know why, but anyway. The only Buxton bottle on hand is Laguna, which belongs to the GF. I've worn it occasionally in the summer, it's a weird and fun fruity/citrus - but ultimately rather feminine for my tastes and a bit too beachy for a winter day here, albeit a mild one.

Resorted to decants and samples where Mark is better represented. Went with Ouarzazate - Comme des Garçons, which I, even after hearing it pronounced correctly out loud, still cannot easily pronounce myself. I think it's something like Whar-zuh-zaht, maybe? Relative to the rest of the Incense Series, it seems to be the highest rated in the directory here. I find it the least 'incensey' of the lot. It smells pretty good and has the same aldehyde/Iso E Super opening as the rest (and the CdG Incense DNA, which I really like), but smells more like unlit incense than smoky incense. The base is clean and fresh/woody, almost soapy. Something about the base reminds me, of all things, Mugler Cologne.

I think the other Buxton samples I have are:

CdG 2Man
    CdG Parfum
    (fka #3 from LiveJazz's Blind Pass)
    Le Labo Vetiver 46

Maybe I'll dab one of them on this afternoon. Has anyone tried Buxton's work for either Moth and Rabbit Perfumes or La Folie à Plusieurs? The bottles for both look fun, as do many of the pyramids. It seems like for the latter house (and probably both), Mark had free rein to do his thing with abstraction and animalics. Both houses also share many of the names of the perfumes themselves, suggesting a recycling or connection of some sort. I'm intrigued.

Happy New Year, Team Sync!

I have several, but the ones I can grab most easily are Ouarzazate and Antoine et Lili Holy Champa. I think since it’s so cold here this morning I’ll go with Ouarzazate.

Basenotes Plus

Me neither, Teardrop. I'll join you on the wallflowers bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    By the way, I’m confused by the April Fizz sync?
    Ditto. Can someone explain what that means?

Mark Buxton for Comme des Garcons : Comme des Garcons Parfum (1994), for the first Friday Synch of 2019

re 'April Fizz', I imagined aldehydes, or a particularly sparkling/effervescent opening such as Eau de Rochas Man, or eau de cologne, (or even Royal Bain de Caron or YSL's Yvresse). But what was it supposed to be ?
    early December - in the bleak midwinter : CdG Zagorsk; YSL Body Kouros; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Dior Fahrenheit; Tom Daxon Iridium; Etro Heliotrope; Knize Forest; Papillon Anglique; Lalique Encre Noire ; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP

Happy New Year everyone! I hope that 2019 brings you health and happiness.

So, Mark Buxton. Well I know that I have said before that I've had the privilege of meeting Mark Buxton, and although he is one of our most talented and prolific perfumers, he is also friendly and very funny and you could happily take him for a beer.

Synching today in A Day in My Life, his futuristic rose from his eponymous collection. I love this one, it's a rose with green, metallic and tart elements.

Went to department store - just had CDG 2 - it went on a bit modernistic fruity, but has calmed down and is somewhat rosy incense now- but who knows - it went on over a ton of Tolu. Not sure if it's the right one.

I had plans to wear VC&A's Cologne Noire, but I woke up craving Jour d'Hermès, so Jour d'Hermès it is. I'll slap on some Cologne Noire this evening (I think the two might pair alright).

not right, in the head

Blog Entries

On to Laguna by Dali. Mmmm. A nice break from the doldrums of winter.

I had a rough day, and didn’t even realize it was Friday until later in the afternoon. I had already sprayed Interlude Man earlier today, and I didn’t even think about syncing until right now. I’ll sync tomorrow with CdG 2 Man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synced with Le Labo Vetiver 46
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post

re 'April Fizz', I imagined aldehydes, or a particularly sparkling/effervescent opening such as Eau de Rochas Man, or eau de cologne, (or even Royal Bain de Caron or YSL's Yvresse). But what was it supposed to be ?
    This was tdems suggestion. April fizz should correspond to aldehydes. Things that come to mind include Vega and No 19.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    This was tdems suggestion. April fizz should correspond to aldehydes. Things that come to mind include Vega and No 19.
    N. Cal I think someone else suggested it but agree that aldehydes would fit an April fizz theme. (I had suggested scenting a fictional or historical character.)
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Parfum Sacré by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    N. Cal I think someone else suggested it but agree that aldehydes would fit an April fizz theme. (I had suggested scenting a fictional or historical character.)
    I dug out the listed ideas with names of each individual, it was ComDiva's Idea.

Blog Entries

So this Friday will be Christchurch, New Zealand, a place l'm sure Jon will have plenty of ideas for!

Looking up "smells of NZ", it seems many of the locals cite the smell of the sea as a defining example. The country is also home to large areas of farmland given over to livestock, particularly sheep, so animal scents, buttery notes or cut grass might be options here. There's wine production, too. NZ is famous for its delicious lamb, so l was thinking maybe herbs that go well with lamb, like mint or rosemary. (l'm making myself hungry now. )

Then there's the incredible landscape of lakes & mountains, where the Lord of the Rings movies were filmed.

There are plenty of exquisitely scented plants & flowers that grow well there, such as gardenia, jasmine, frangipani & daphne. And there's fern, the national emblem of NZ, so perhaps fougeres would be another choice.

Hopefully this provides some food for thought for some of you. (Food again. Drat.)
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Perhaps not specific to Christchurch, but the boronia flower grows in New Zealand and Australia, so I’ll be wearing Southern Bloom by Goldfield & Banks.

So this Friday will be Christchurch, New Zealand, a place l'm sure Jon will have plenty of ideas for!

Looking up "smells of NZ", it seems many of the locals cite the smell of the sea as a defining example. The country is also home to large areas of farmland given over to livestock, particularly sheep, so animal scents, buttery notes or cut grass might be options here. There's wine production, too. NZ is famous for its delicious lamb, so l was thinking maybe herbs that go well with lamb, like mint or rosemary. (l'm making myself hungry now. )

Then there's the incredible landscape of lakes & mountains, where the Lord of the Rings movies were filmed.

There are plenty of exquisitely scented plants & flowers that grow well there, such as gardenia, jasmine, frangipani & daphne. And there's fern, the national emblem of NZ, so perhaps fougeres would be another choice.

Hopefully this provides some food for thought for some of you. (Food again. Drat.)
    Thanks for the New Zealand info...so many good options! I'm thinking that I will wear something green...maybe Fougere Royale, if I can find my decant.

Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast