Code of Conduct
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1422

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

Having nothing by the house of Frederic Malle, I shall be semi-synching in Hermes Bel Ami Vetiver, by Jean-Claude Ellena who has created fragrances for Malle.
    Of course, that's just a rationalisation for wanting to wear BAV tomorrow.
    October rotation : Knize Ten, Gomma, Yatagan, Gucci Guilty Absolute, Tuscany, Elixir, Avignon.
    October samples : finishing Hermes Bel Ami, Bel Ami Vetiver, Lalique Encre Noire a l'Extreme. Sampling TF Ombre Leather, ELdO Je Suis un Homme, Eloge du Traitre, Odin 07 Tanoke.
    Currently wearing: Palais Jamais by Etro

Basenotes Plus

A no-decision sync for me -- Le Parfum de Therese is the only Frederic Malle I own, and only because I'm a Roudnitska completist. I find several Malle scents pleasant, but I need more than "pleasant" to justify those kinds of prices.

Edmond and Therese Roudnitska
    Last edited by Cook.bot; 4th October 2019 at 05:23 AM.

Freed from BN Institution

Decided to go with Portrait Of A Lady for Frederic Malle Day
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Blog Entries

As planned, l wore Allure last Friday, & l hope foxbins enjoyed her floriental day!

The only Malle l own is Carnal Flower, plus a small decant of Une Rose that l kept when l sold my bottle. lt's a spectacular rose, but l found it too much for me & never really felt like wearing it. l'll decide later which of these to go with, if l feel like synching at all...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

I have carded samples of a few Malles, but since I'm in a rose tonight (Agent Provocateur), I might a well be in either Lipstick Rose or Une Rose tomorrow!

Le Parfum de Therese.
    One of my all time favourite scents.
    Tender, unusual and delicious.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Halfeti by Penhaligon's

Basenotes Member

Not synching today as the only Malle I have is a sample of Vetiver Extraordinaire, which I've already decided is not for me. Curious to explore this house more, but when I read the notes of the perfumes nothing really grabs me.

Someone who loves this house - please tell me what I'm missing! What is it that you love?
    My current top 5 scents of the moment:
    Root of all Goodness by Parterre
    Summer 19 by Ffern
    Sorong by Pierre Guillaume
    Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors
    Elephant by Zoologist
    Currently wearing: Bosc by Bravanariz

I have a surprising number of Malle's, the weather has changed from cold to warm today so

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle
    DONNA

fake-out country

............................. where i'd like to visit one day ♥
    Blog Entries

I can't locate any Malle right now. In lieu of Lipstick Rose, I'm wearing Smolderose, for the time being.

Basenotes Plus

I’m wearing Carnal Flower in the hair and body oil. It vanishes quite quickly, but it’s beautiful while it lasts.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Weather here has finally started to cool down (despite Wednesday in the 80's...and a freak tornado!) so Musc Ravageur sounded like it would hit the spot, and it did. It's the only Malle I have a full bottle of. Well, a partial bottle, but the only thing that isn't a carded/boxed sample or decant.

Also wearing a small spray of Angeliques sous la Pluie on my other hand. It's nice while it lasts, which isn't very long. Might spray on a little Superstitious later, it's been probably a year since I've sniffed it but I liked each time prior.
    ______

Last week for foxbin's Floriental Day, I wore Teatro alla Scala - Krizia. A recent obsession of mine and quite a beautiful classically styled floriental. Not normally the type of thing I'd wear to work, but what can I do on Friday but sync?

Unfortunately I have no Malle, although I admire many of them. I am therefore syncing by association in Krazy Krizia by one his frequent collaborators, Dominique Ropion
    Currently wearing: Joop! Femme by Joop!

Basenotes Plus

Syncing in Le Parfum de Therese today.
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Cologne Germany...... this one will take some time thinking about what to wear. There's some really nice scenic photos.

Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

...The funny thing is that I had to google what kind of town Cologne is, as I didn't know it, so it should be something small and insignificant, and then it hit me that it's just an English translation of Köln, one of the main cities in Germany. Oh the wonders of language. And I've been to Köln (although briefly) and loved it. Köln's cathedral is beyond stunning.
    A big and beautiful river Rein is flowing through Köln, making it a port city. Köln's university is the biggest in Germany and one of the oldest in Europe. Almost all the city was bombarded and left to ruins during WW2 and is now newly rebuilt, including the historical medieval buildings.

Germany has a mild European climate with all four seasons, but nothing too harsh.
    Germany's national flower is cornflower, and national tree is oak (oakmoss lovers, rejoice!). Oaks and birch-trees are/were the most popular trees historically. (Birch tar lovers, rejoice!)
    Germans are famous for their lager beer, but they actually consume lots of coffee according to statistics.
    I happen to love German food as it's just too similar to Lithuanian food (all Central European/Eastern European cuisine is very similar - lots of meat, potatoes, sausages, sourcream and fermented cabbage), but there's nothing fragrant about it.
    The German perfume companies and brands are listed here: http://www.basenotes.net/brand/country/DE

I'm not sure what to wear. The obvious (and really inexpensive, and classic!) choice would be 4711 Kölnisch Wasser, of course, but I'm not a fan of it.
    I see I had quite a number of German scents through my life, but I don't have any with me at the moment.
    When I think about fragrant plants associated with Germany, I'm feeling like most of them are mostly the same plants I would associate with my homeland Lithuania, too (except we have more pines and evergreens and no love for anise/licorice that are SO popular in Germany and Scandinavia). So I'm thinking oakmoss, birch, linden, juniper, pine, spruce, beech, apple, pear, cherry, plum, black and red currant, gooseberry, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry. No citruses or tropical fruit, no exotic or hot spices, but mint, dill, parsley, caraway, thyme, artemisia, marjoram, sage are really common. Anise and licorice are very popular. And, of course, roses (esp. rosa canina), peonies, crocus, daffodils, clovers, amaryllis, lily of the valley, daisies, iris, tulip, violet, as these grow or are grown in gardens throughout all the (at least central) Europe.
    Also anything that reminds you of middle ages, medieval churches and castles, crusaders and so on.
    Anything Gothic, too. Horror stories are probably in Germans' blood.
    As Köln/Cologne is a river city, something watery would do (but not marine).
    And, of course, the eau de cologne as we know it has roots from Köln/Cologne (hence the name - Kölnisch Wasser, water from Köln), any traditional eau de cologne should fit pretty well.
    I'll see what I can do.

Top post, ClockworkAlice, very informative - gives us plenty of scope. Thanks !
    Last edited by incense+heliotrope; 9th October 2019 at 11:21 AM.
    October rotation : Knize Ten, Gomma, Yatagan, Gucci Guilty Absolute, Tuscany, Elixir, Avignon.
    October samples : finishing Hermes Bel Ami, Bel Ami Vetiver, Lalique Encre Noire a l'Extreme. Sampling TF Ombre Leather, ELdO Je Suis un Homme, Eloge du Traitre, Odin 07 Tanoke.
    Currently wearing: Palais Jamais by Etro

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    Top post, ClockworkAlice, very informative - gives us plenty of scope. Thanks !
    Agreed! Stellar post ClockworkAlice! Thank you so much.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Femme by Joop!

Agree, great post above.

I'm going to go with the other German perfume classic, vintage Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original. The company was founded in Stolburg, and that's fairly close to Köln. The brand was acquired by P&G this century, but still, it counts!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Ore by Slumberhouse

Blog Entries

Thanks ClockworkAlice, great work!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

A great post ClockworkAlice, very thoughtful

Gorgeous photos and very interesting ClockworkAlice.
    DONNA

Basenotes Member

Great post Clockwork Alice - and that cathedral is to this day one of my favourite in the world. I would also add that Cologne has a long Roman history and there are ssome ruins in various places you can still see.

For me the top association for Cologne is marzipan. I spent my first Christmas after moving to Europe in Cologne and it was the most magical experience with marzipan and chocolate everywhere. In fact, my husband's family had a plate of marzipan and chocolate for every person for Christmas morning breakfast. I don't really do gourmand scents, so I'm not sure I have much with an almond or chocolate note in my collection. May need to do a bit of digging!
    Summer 19 by Ffern
    Elephant by Zoologist

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

One of my favorite cathedrals. Unfortunately I’ve only done a brief day trip there. Based on my tastes it would have to be something churchey or a traditional Cologne style, so I’ll probably wear Cologne Sologne.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

Basenotes Plus

Thanks ClockworkAlice for the great post. I don't have any full bottles of German (let alone Cologne) based fragrances but I believe I have samples of Escentric Molecules and Biehl Parfumkunstwerke. I may just go with something by one of those two houses, though there is a temptation to wear something incense heavy in honor of the beautiful cathedral.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Fragonard

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of churches and cathedrals would be Creed Angelique Encens. The incense fused with angelica and ambery/vanilla notes reminds me of candles inside these holy places.

Basenotes Plus

I thought my only German frag was K-nee-zhe-10. But then I realized that's actually Austrian, isn't it? So I guess I'm out this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I thought my only German frag was K-nee-zhe-10. But then I realized that's actually Austrian, isn't it? So I guess I'm out this week.
    Close enough, the thought is what counts.

Surely most of us have an Eau de Cologne in our wardrobes.

Or an Atelier Cologne.

Or Jo Malone Cologne.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

So, for me, it is Messe de Minuit by Etro which is the original eau de cologne version.

Midnight Mass and edc feeling pleased as it covers both the cathedral and Cologne.
    DONNA

Basenotes Member

Had a rummage through my collection and found a bottle of Lush's Snowcake at the back of my dressing table, which I thought was empty (had kept the bottle for the memories and because it's beautiful) but has a tiny bit left. It's my ideal almond perfume and fit my mood perfectly today. So feeling the marzipan infused Cologne vibes and remembering that first beautiful Christmas.

Hope everyone has a good Friday!
    Summer 19 by Ffern
    Elephant by Zoologist

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 LastLast