Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

I was thinking in the lines of Teardrop with a dirty animalic ( sheep/wool smells....) or LOTR related scents
    Currently wearing: Crystal Noir by Versace

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    So this Friday will be Christchurch, New Zealand, a place l'm sure Jon will have plenty of ideas for!

Looking up "smells of NZ", it seems many of the locals cite the smell of the sea as a defining example. The country is also home to large areas of farmland given over to livestock, particularly sheep, so animal scents, buttery notes or cut grass might be options here. There's wine production, too. NZ is famous for its delicious lamb, so l was thinking maybe herbs that go well with lamb, like mint or rosemary. (l'm making myself hungry now. )

Then there's the incredible landscape of lakes & mountains, where the Lord of the Rings movies were filmed.

There are plenty of exquisitely scented plants & flowers that grow well there, such as gardenia, jasmine, frangipani & daphne. And there's fern, the national emblem of NZ, so perhaps fougeres would be another choice.

Hopefully this provides some food for thought for some of you. (Food again. Drat.)
    I could make meals from all the thoughts this inspired! Thanks for the ideas--now I'm thinking maybe Oudh Infini (though my coworkers might disagree...) or maybe Every Storm a Serenade. We shall see!
    Currently wearing: Boyfriend by Boyfriend

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Ooh, I like these ideas. Some mint to go with my lamb sounds pretty good.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Freed from BN Institution

For New Zealand I'm thinking of something that would work with the countryside scenery. Something green although it's a bit early to jump into a spring time scent.

What's New Zealand weather like in January?

Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    For New Zealand I'm thinking of something that would work with the countryside scenery. Something green although it's a bit early to jump into a spring time scent.

What's New Zealand weather like in January?

Ostensibly it’s summer, but it looks a bit chilly to me. For Christchurch Think maybe Nth California in July.
    Looking at temp averages it’s not quite as cool as San Francisco, but not too far off from that area. As NZ is fairly long N to S, there’s a significant range, with things getting very chilly further south on the South Island.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.

Super Member notspendingamillion's Avatar

This seems fun. I will participate when I can.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Okay, I have read from people who went there New Zealand is very similar to Ireland. Very green and the weather is nowhere near the heat of Oz. I have read that the weather in summer is very close to Ireland as well so think 20-21c.
    DONNA

It's hot here today so my choices have been limited a bit. For the Christchurch, New Zealand sync, I'm starting with White Tea by Elizabeth Arden. It has fern in it, sea breeze notes? & I get some iris, too.

I'm going to go with Creed Green Irish Tweed. This one has this green element that I'm looking for and I can't think of anything better that would be suitable for the countryside of New Zealand.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

The fragrance with the most references to "wool" on Basenotes is Parfum d'Habit by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. "Wool" appears 6 times in 36 reviews.

I agree: rough, earthy, dark green wool. And I happen to own this one, and love it. It's not, however, appropriate for work, so it'll be a Synchronized Friday Evening for me.

I looked up the Christchurch Botanical Gardens website to see what was flowering there in January. Roses are in bloom so I'm now wearing Eau Rose by Diptyque. Later tonight, if it's cooler, I will wear my sample of Buonissimo by Hilde Soliani as a nod towards the coffee carts & food carts that are in CBD of Christchurch. Well, they were there when friends visited New Zealand!

Okay, since the roses are in bloom I will go with a rose fragrance.

I have a sample Une Rose by Frederic Malle and will wear it.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Glad my ideas were helpful, folks. Some great choices here!

l've gone with Champagne de Bois for its rich, buttery notes, to denote the ever-popular Anchor butter that originally hails from NZ.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Very tenuous connection - the very incense heavy Meraviglia by Re Profumo (because I'm trying to stick to my January rotation!). Christchurch is a mediaeval cathedral here in Dublin so the name alway evokes incense smells for me. Well, the fun of SyncFri is making the connection...

Looking at N.Cal's pictures above, it is a bit like Ireland but on a monumental scale!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post
    Very tenuous connection - the very incense heavy Meraviglia by Re Profumo (because I'm trying to stick to my January rotation!). Christchurch is a mediaeval cathedral here in Dublin so the name alway evokes incense smells for me. Well, the fun of SyncFri is making the connection...

Looking at N.Cal's pictures above, it is a bit like Ireland but on a monumental scale!
    Aotearoa - Land of the Long White Cloud (of incense smoke)

violent violet vamp

I'm in the midst of sampling - I may think of something for later.

Good ideas for this one, folks!
    "Anything is an art if you do it at the level of an art" ~~ Richard Avedon

In Sych with a fougere to represent the fern of NZ (thanks for the idea, teardrop !) : Hermes Equipage.

Deep Winter : cold and clean : Etro Heliotrope, CdG Zagorsk; cold and dark : Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo, Lalique Encre Noire; incense etc : Penhaligon's Elixir, Etro Ambra, CdG Avignon, Unum Io Non Ho Mani

kisses thrown to teardrop for the ideas.
    The sync still makes you think...and dig through neglected bottles.LOL

Never been to New Zealand but I think Caron Aimez-Moi (1996) works as a fresh green scent. I can even detect a drop of mint in there!
    Currently wearing: Barbara Bui by Barbara Bui

I smell something

Many thanks to Teardrop for all the wonderful suggestions.

NZ is on my ever-expanding list of places to visit. In synch with Sisley Izia, an airy, citrusy rose.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Barbara Bui by Barbara Bui

I'm really feeling the sync today in Dusita's Erawan. The countryside and farms where i grew up smell much more, er, "pungent" than this, so this is more a fantasy countryside smell a la Hobbiton: hay, vetiver, some light herbs and wildflowers, cedar, and a pinch of sweetness from vanilla in the base. Erawan also sounds like a name straight outta Rohan.

I considered Oudh Infini but decided to spare my coworkers' noses, and I had Every Storm a Serenade and Bracken Woman set out too since I wasn't sure what I'd be feeling this morning. I even considered B&BW Aquamarine since it has notes of wet stone and mint (it's wooonderful post-shower). Erawan won out though, and it's perfect.

Happy Friday, everyone!
    Currently wearing: Boyfriend by Boyfriend

Goldfield & Banks Southern Bloom, with a boronia flower note, which grows in NZ/AUS.

Today I’m wearing Byredo Encens Chembur from a sample.

Here is the marketing blurb:

Description
    Originally a picnic spot outside of Mumbai, Chembur is the place where Ben Gorham's mother was born and raised. Ben visited Chembur many times as a child and returned after almost 15 years to find the area developed. Lingering still, however, was the evocative incense from a Hindu temple.

Exclusive

Notes
    Top: Bergamot, Lemon
    Heart: Ginger, Nutmeg, Temple Incense
    Base: Amber, Labdanum, Musk

I thought it worked for Christchurch because here is a damaged and abandoned cathedral in the square, surrounded by green space outside the square. Also, New Zealanders generally agree that their home smells like fresh sea air (don’t ask for the source— I was googling). Encens Chembur smells like incense and outdoors.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Angélique Encens by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thekelleybelle View Post
    I'm really feeling the sync today in Dusita's Erawan. The countryside and farms where i grew up smell much more, er, "pungent" than this, so this is more a fantasy countryside smell a la Hobbiton: hay, vetiver, some light herbs and wildflowers, cedar, and a pinch of sweetness from vanilla in the base. Erawan also sounds like a name straight outta Rohan.

I considered Oudh Infini but decided to spare my coworkers' noses, and I had Every Storm a Serenade and Bracken Woman set out too since I wasn't sure what I'd be feeling this morning. I even considered B&BW Aquamarine since it has notes of wet stone and mint (it's wooonderful post-shower). Erawan won out though, and it's perfect.

Happy Friday, everyone!
    I too made the Erawan choice based on Lord of the Rings. Green, beautiful. Rivendell-ish to me. And Erawan and Arwen are anagrams. Okay Aarwen. But close.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

As usual, I was running late this morning, and so as I was walking out the door, I grabbed Rive Gauche PH because I saw that fern was listed as one of the notes. I honestly don't get any fern from Rive Gauche, so I looked it up again on Fragrantica. Apparently fern is listed in the "La Collection" reformulation, but I have the older tin can version which makes sense since I get mostly spicy lavender, anise, and the infamous shaving cream note.

Tonight, I'll go home and see if I can find something that better fits New Zealand, but at least I tried to make it work this morning.

One house that comes to mind is Francis Kurkdjian's Indult with their infamous Tihota. That one has gotten a lot of attention over the years, far more than the other bottles in the collection. One of the purest vanilla based scents that I've smelled.

My first One Hit Wonder fragrance of the day is Bal d'Afrique by Byredo. I've tried several other Byredo scents but this is the only one that I love from this house. Works great in all types of weather, even on those difficult extreme heat days.

Vettiveru by CDG. Out of the three scents in their cologne collection this one hogs all of the attention and acclaim.

What about a perfumer’s one hit wonder?
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Angélique Encens by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    What about a perfumer’s one hit wonder?
    I'd consider ''One Hit Wonder'' very broad as the theme. Up to the imagination of each individual.

Going with Indult Tihota

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast