Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1732
o

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

Lots of pepper for today's sync with

Poivre by Caron, the vintage pure perfume
    Poivre .jpg

I had a bit of a rummage through my samples again this week and decided on Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande, which I wish I had remembered was an EdT because this would have been perfect for the summer. It's a bit light for today, but I like the soft edge the oak gives around the pepper. I'm not sure it's going to last super long, so I've tucked a vial of Timbuktu into my handbag for later.

Happy Kbe day!
    Last edited by justfoxie; 25th October 2019 at 09:15 AM. Reason: because I can't spell!
    My current rotation:
    Vetivers: Root of all Goodness by Parterre & Autumn 19 by Ffern
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi, Paithaini by Penhaligons & 154 by Jo Malone

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I went with the new Eau Poivree flanker of Twilly d'Hermes.

26159317-4902.jpg

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26159317.html

The pepper makes a real difference from the ginger of the original. I don't find the entirety as weirdly compelling as the original, but I do like the new formula as a spicier floral. The Poivree flanker is probably a lot easier to love.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Galop d'Hermès by Hermès

Hot Couture by Givenchy.
    Raspberry and pepper!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Herbae by L'Occitane

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I went with the new Eau Poivree flanker of Twilly d'Hermes.

26159317-4902.jpg

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26159317.html

The pepper makes a real difference from the ginger of the original. I don't find the entirety as weirdly compelling as the original, but I do like the new formula as a spicier floral. The Poivree flanker is probably a lot easier to love.
    My impressions were quite similar - I find the original more unique and lively, but the new version more lovable. I like how the pepper is really punchy at the start - if I haven't read the notes I could swear it's black pepper and not the pink one.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    My impressions were quite similar - I find the original more unique and lively, but the new version more lovable. I like how the pepper is really punchy at the start - if I haven't read the notes I could swear it's black pepper and not the pink one.
    Loved your review of this one, by the way! Yes - that pepper note in Poivree feels really spicy like so many of my black pepper fragrances. I'm wearing them both right now, on either hand, and I'm having a hard time choosing which to praise more. I suspect that the pepper flanker will be more popular and cheaper to produce in the long run, and I would not be surprised if there were changes to the lineup at some point. My wife likes the Poivree, and that seems easier for me to poach, so I'm happy!

Loved your review of this one, by the way! Yes - that pepper note in Poivree feels really spicy like so many of my black pepper fragrances. I'm wearing them both right now, on either hand, and I'm having a hard time choosing which to praise more. I suspect that the pepper flanker will be more popular and cheaper to produce in the long run, and I would not be surprised if there were changes to the lineup at some point. My wife likes the Poivree, and that seems easier for me to poach, so I'm happy!
    Ah, thank you!
    I'm not sure about popularity though - I can see the creaminess and softness of original appealing to people, too.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Ah, thank you!
    I'm not sure about popularity though - I can see the creaminess and softness of original appealing to people, too.
    Yes, the smooth unity of the original is very nice, and as it dries down, it just gets better. That creaminess is also very appealing. Alas, Hermès is likely stuck with that sandalwood bill, no matter what!

Blog Entries

Nothing from my wardrobe springs to mind as being suitable this week, so l'm sitting this one out, but hoping kbe enjoys his synch day!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Happy kbe Day! Caron Parfum Sacré, one of a scant handful of perfumes that I’ve repurchased. I hope always to have a supply of this contemplative beauty in my collection.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Parfum Sacré by Caron

Basenotes Plus

I'm wearing the rest of my sample of Luce by Note di Profumum. It's got a lovely pink pepper note, in addition to lots of powder.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: High Frequency by Initio

For kbe's Pepper day, I wore Penhaligon's Opus 1870 as SOTD, and Robert Piguet Casbah as SOTE, both of which have a black pepper note.
    early December - in the bleak midwinter : CdG Zagorsk; YSL Body Kouros; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Dior Fahrenheit; Tom Daxon Iridium; Etro Heliotrope; Knize Forest; Papillon Anglique; Lalique Encre Noire ; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    For kbe's Pepper day, I wore Penhaligon's Opus 1870 as SOTD, and Robert Piguet Casbah as SOTE, both of which have a black pepper note.
    How do these two compare?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I wore one spray of Black Opium in the evening yesterday, so I synched for the second time, as it also has pink pepper - but I almost never get it in this fragrance, it's usually just an enveloping cloud of vanilla, coffee and some kind of berry syrup to me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I wore one spray of Black Opium in the evening yesterday, so I synched for the second time, as it also has pink pepper - but I almost never get it in this fragrance, it's usually just an enveloping cloud of vanilla, coffee and some kind of berry syrup to me.
    I think the pepper is probably more apparent in the sillage. I love Black Opium, and a lady I know wears it all the time as her signature scent. I always get a peppery, spicy note when I smell it on her!

I think the pepper is probably more apparent in the sillage. I love Black Opium, and a lady I know wears it all the time as her signature scent. I always get a peppery, spicy note when I smell it on her!
    That's an interesting observation! We do smell a bit differently to others than to ourselves. But a girl I know wears it all the time, and I always get the same sweet and non-peppery vanilla coffee vibe from her, too. Maybe it's just my nose?

I will not be doing next week's synch as it is the 1st of the month it is Mitsouko Day.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: L'Aimant by Coty

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    How do these two compare?
    They're not at all alike.

Opus 1870 is a typical woody, spicy Penhaligon's that lacks longevity, projection and sillage, and I wore it because I was going out for lunch and did not want a frag that might stand in the way of our dining experience. Pleasant but unremarkable, so it did the job.
    Casbah is a beast of a spicy incense, lifted with black pepper and lightened with the green of angelica stems. Longevity etc notorious.
    early December - in the bleak midwinter : CdG Zagorsk; YSL Body Kouros; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Dior Fahrenheit; Tom Daxon Iridium; Etro Heliotrope; Knize Forest; Papillon Anglique; Lalique Encre Noire ; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

That's an interesting observation! We do smell a bit differently to others than to ourselves. But a girl I know wears it all the time, and I always get the same sweet and non-peppery vanilla coffee vibe from her, too. Maybe it's just my nose?
    Your nose or mine! I'm overly sensitive to spicy notes of all kinds, and my wife jokes that even salt in food makes me have to blow my nose!

Your nose or mine! I'm overly sensitive to spicy notes of all kinds, and my wife jokes that even salt in food makes me have to blow my nose!
    Haha!
    Reminds me how I smell cinnamon in almost all orientals, no matter if it's there or not!

This upcoming Friday's synch - Nose: Alberto Morillas.

I have three great options here - Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Femme, Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier and Salvador Dali by Salvador Dali. Not only two out of these three are among my personal favourites, but all of them are great for autumn, too.
    I'm not sure with which one I'll be synching - I'm leaning to Le Baiser du Dragon, as I haven't worn it for a while and it's a great soft and spicy scent, but Guilty Absolute might just randomly demand me to wear it, as it sometimes does just that.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I have at least a dozen of his. Including The Gucci Guilty Abs Femme. I may go for ALL of them!!!

Blog Entries

l don't have a single option for this week's synch, so l'm out.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Both of the options I have for this week's sync are quite light - Bulgari's Omnia Crystallline and Kenzo Flower. Omnia is good for work so that's a maybe, but it's also Mitsouko day which might be the more comforting option for the blustery weather, but that takes me out of this. . .choices choices!
    My current rotation:
    Vetivers: Root of all Goodness by Parterre & Autumn 19 by Ffern
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi, Paithaini by Penhaligons & 154 by Jo Malone

Somehow, the only Morillas scent I have, bottle or sample, is a sample of Gucci Guilty Absolute. So, I guess I'll wear that!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Somehow, the only Morillas scent I have, bottle or sample, is a sample of Gucci Guilty Absolute. So, I guess I'll wear that!
    Me too! Which surprised me, considering he has 250 fragrances to his name.

No, wait... I also have some cK One. Nah, I'll go with the GGA.

Can anyone report on how cK One is holding up in its current iteration? It's a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

For Friday's synch I will wear the last of my Omnia mini. I need to get rid of what I can before we move

Sillage Monster

Until today, I was unfamiliar with Alberto Morillas. His portfolio is impressive! I’m so glad this sync came up so I could learn about this amazing nose.
    Note to self: Choose being kind over being right, and you’ll be right every time.

Doesn't everyone have Mugler Cologne? Looks like it'll be either that or one of the various Acqua di Gios for me

Looks as though I have three choices : GGA (today's SOTD - I don't often wear this on Fridays); a sample of Gucci Memoire d'une Odeur, which I've not yet felt the need to try; and a sample of the Cartier Baiser du Dragon. Might start the day with Memoire, see whether it's a scrubber, then move on to the Cartier.

Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast