Code of Conduct
Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1722
o
    Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

I early-synched yesterday's evening with Salvador Dali. (My new pen-bottle says Dali Classic on the box, but it's the same scent.) It's a wintery-spicy floral oriental, lots of cloves, quite mature, but not too thick. It's very wearable, but still feels a bit too heavy for mornings to me (except in the deepest winter), so I'm mostly using it as an autumn/winter evening scent at home.

I have a sample of Daisy. I'm sure there are better options as this guy is prolific - just don't have any in my collection. Look forward to reading of others' syncing choices.
    ”I want all the perfumes”

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

522573_99999_0099_002_100_0000_Light-Gucci-Guilty-Absolute-Pour-Femme-90ml-eau-de-parfum.jpg

Enjoying the dry-down of this one.

A visit to the website is worthwhile. Looks like they've brought the basic Guilty scents up toward the Absolutes just a tad with revamped formulas and slightly changed names (pour homme, pour femme, still offering old "just Guilty" versions, too.

Screenshot_20191101-033240.jpg

https://www.gucci.com/us/en/st/stori...aign-shoppable

Also check out the video on that page which hints at this in a mischievous way.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Galop d'Hermès by Hermès

Freed from BN Institution

I currently have only one fragrance available from Alberto Morillas which is Givenchy Pi so that will be what I'm going with.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I have Pi, too - may hit that later!

For now, another old signature scent - the first time Givenchy tried to break free of Gentleman.

givenchy-pour-homme-poster-600x600_0.jpg

This would be a " nothing scent", but it has a redeeming synthetic tobacco woodiness that intrigues. Weak but interesting.

I'm synching with Le baiser du Dragon by Cartier.
    It's almost a month since I last wore it and I can already see I missed that spicy resinous almondy beauty. Just like Guilty Absolute, it just feels very "Me" and I'm very happy and comfortable in it. I'll be definitely wearing it more often now that the weather is colder.
    Maybe it means that I should check out more scents by mr. Morillas?

I went with Mitsouko so I'm out of this sync. Hope everyone has a good day!
    My current rotation:
    Vetivers: Root of all Goodness by Parterre & Autumn 19 by Ffern
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi, Paithaini by Penhaligons & 154 by Jo Malone

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    I'm synching with Le baiser du Dragon by Cartier.
    It's almost a month since I last wore it and I can already see I missed that spicy resinous almondy beauty. Just like Guilty Absolute, it just feels very "Me" and I'm very happy and comfortable in it. I'll be definitely wearing it more often now that the weather is colder.
    Maybe it means that I should check out more scents by mr. Morillas?
    We're scent twins! I haven't worn mine since February.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    522573_99999_0099_002_100_0000_Light-Gucci-Guilty-Absolute-Pour-Femme-90ml-eau-de-parfum.jpg

Enjoying the dry-down of this one.

A visit to the website is worthwhile. Looks like they've brought the basic Guilty scents up toward the Absolutes just a tad with revamped formulas and slightly changed names (pour homme, pour femme, still offering old "just Guilty" versions, too.

Screenshot_20191101-033240.jpg

https://www.gucci.com/us/en/st/stori...aign-shoppable

What a fun video. With Courtney Love as the waitress! Thanks for sharing.

I have nothing by Alberto Morillas in my collection, though I was able to track down a sample of Lemon in Zest (which I love, but the price is prohibitive). He IS prolific, and I wonder if he has a style?
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: High Frequency by Initio

Basenotes Plus

Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme -- my only Morillas besides cK One. Like smelling a rubber ball and a leather ball at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    The way they dressed and styled Jared Leto in that, he looks exactly like I always imagined BN's own Mouchoir de Monsieur would look. Wonder what that old reprobate has been up to lately, besides terrorizing the Paris demi-monde?

Red's raves have made think I need to sample GGA Pour Femme. But for the sync, I'll have to love the one I've got, even though there's too much rubber band in it for me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel5 View Post
    What a fun video. With Courtney Love as the waitress! Thanks for sharing.

I have nothing by Alberto Morillas in my collection, though I was able to track down a sample of Lemon in Zest (which I love, but the price is prohibitive). He IS prolific, and I wonder if he has a style?
    Yes, that was fun! His style in men's scents tends toward "solid generic light with some twist", IMO. Both GGA scents were somewhat atypical for him - he had great art direction, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme -- my only Morillas besides cK One. Like smelling a rubber ball and a leather ball at the same time.

The way they dressed and styled Jared Leto in that, he looks exactly like I always imagined BN's own Mouchoir de Monsieur would look. Wonder what that old reprobate has been up to lately, besides terrorizing the Paris demi-monde?

Red's raves have made think I need to sample GGA Pour Femme. But for the sync, I'll have to love the one I've got, even though there's too much rubber band in it for me.
    Yes! MdM for sure!!! :-D

I think you'd like GGAPF quite a bit. The woody amber drydown may not thrill, but the rest will!

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    We're scent twins! I haven't worn mine since February.
    Yay, a twin Dragon kisser!

I'm kissing that dragon too!!
    Love the almond in this scent.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Twinsies!

I still can't believe that 1) Gucci made this and 2) released it in their core lineup and 3) it still exists. It is SO focused on bone dry bitter leather, rubber, and the extreme outside edge of industrial woody-synth territory.

If it reminds me in some ways of Cuiron...overtly synthetic (notably, norlimbanol), but deftly done to an artistic end...and the result is an unexpected postmodern leathery thing that's surprisingly wearable for how unforgiving and pointed it is.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Flower by Kenzo today— my favorite Morillas perfume
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

syncing today with Acqua di Gio Essenza - wife says I smell like "someone she knows"

... unsurprising since it's one of the most basic / popular scents ever

Joining you in Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon, as my SOTE. The first thing that struck me was a similarity to Boucheron Jaipur pour Homme.

early December - in the bleak midwinter, cold or animalic : CdG Zagorsk; YSL Body Kouros; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Dior Fahrenheit; Tom Daxon Iridium; Hermes Hiris; Etro Heliotrope, Messe de Minuit; Knize Forest; Hiram Green Hyde; Papillon Anubis, Anglique; Mona di Orio Cuir; Tauer Lonestar Memories; Francesca Bianchi The Lover's Tale; Serge Lutens La Couche du Diable; Lalique Encre Noire

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Wearing a Morillas trifecta today.

Joining CB and LZ in Gucci Guilty Absolute as the main wear, left hand and chest. I really like this stuff.

Bois de Mysore - Mizensir on my right hand from a STC decant. Mike Perez piqued my interest in this, we seem to share similar tastes in both sandal oil and "western fragrance" reconstructions of sandalwood accords too. It's pretty nice overall. The opening has a rubbery (for lack of a better descriptor) vibe followed by a nice sandalwood/spice accord. The drydown strikes me as having a great deal of overlap with Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent. Like a quieter version.

Then a few dabs of Essenza di Zegna from a sample. A tolerable musky/aromatic aquatic. Nice enough, not my preferred genre.

If I had Eau de Sex Pest - Fragrance One, I'd be wearing that. Alas, Jeremy has not released it yet. Or has he?

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    I'm kissing that dragon too!!
    Love the almond in this scent.
    Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    Joining you in Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon, as my SOTE. The first thing that struck me was a similarity to Boucheron Jaipur pour Homme.

That makes us a Dragon kissing squad of four!
    I love the almond here, too. And I especially love the fiery/boozy opening. Later it becomes a soft almond and resins scent with a hint of cinnamon and a whiff of jasmine on me. Some days jasmine gets stronger, I prefer when it's more in the backseat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Flower by Kenzo today— my favorite Morillas perfume
    I like this one quite a bit, too!

I'm on a road trip but just happen to have the Calvin Klein Truth with me! It's a Morillas, Jacques Cavallier & Thierry Wasser collaboration scent.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I currently have only one fragrance available from Alberto Morillas which is Givenchy Pi so that will be what I'm going with.
    Twinning you with Pi now! My bottle is OLD - the stuff is GOOD! In some ways, Pi reminds me of Creed Sublime Vanille, but less formal. Happy to have both!

Suggestions for Prague? I'm hitting an "idea wall." :P
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

Blog Entries

l looked up "smells of Prague" this morning & found a load of stuff about bad body odour on the public transport system.

Further research is needed, l think...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I LOVE Prague. I'm thinking anything that reminds you of old,old architecture, castles, Absinth....would fit. I also bought a few scents there so could synch in those, but I think I'll go for Messe de minuit or Memoir woman

I found the same source as teardrop, with reference to old sweat, onions and pilsner.
    In keeping with my current month's incense and smoke theme, I will Synch in Etro Messe de Minuit, which to my nose smells like an old cathedral full of unwashed people.
    early December - in the bleak midwinter, cold or animalic : CdG Zagorsk; YSL Body Kouros; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Dior Fahrenheit; Tom Daxon Iridium; Hermes Hiris; Etro Heliotrope, Messe de Minuit; Knize Forest; Hiram Green Hyde; Papillon Anubis, Anglique; Mona di Orio Cuir; Tauer Lonestar Memories; Francesca Bianchi The Lover's Tale; Serge Lutens La Couche du Diable; Lalique Encre Noire

It's funny about the unwashed people, because I haven't noticed them while visiting Prague - and I used public transport, too!

I do love Prague and I do love Czechia.

National flower of Czechia is rose.
    National tree is linden tree.

The cuisine is typical to Central/Eastern European cuisine - lots of meat, roast meat, sausages, potatoes, sauerkaut, pickles, dumplings. Food is rather fatty, never hot or spicy. Czechia is famous for the great beer. Knedliky (a type of side-dish dumpling made from dough or potatoes) and fried cheese are well loved, but they're not too fragrant
    As for more fragrant food - carrots, celery, poppies, mint, various herbs, bell peppers, tomatoes, apples, pears, cherries, plums, strawberries, blackberries, black and red currants, gooseberries, honey, dairy products are being widely grown/produced and eaten here - quite similarly as in Germany, too.
    Also, all the flowers that grow/are grown in Central Europe - roses, lilies, peonies, lilies of the valley, lilacs, apple/pear/cherry blossoms, daffodils, daisies, irises, carnations...surely I'm forgetting something obvious here.
    Also oaks, birch trees, pines, junipers, maple trees and other trees that grow in this climate.
    Anything that would remind you of old castles and middle ages would fit. Lots of amazing gothic castles and churches here. There's also one that's all decorated in human skulls and bones in Czechia (not in Prague though, in a small town Sedlec) - Sedlec Ossuary! I've been there, it's fantastic. Look it up!
    Last edited by ClockworkAlice; 7th November 2019 at 11:12 AM.

Oh, I can do Messe de Minute too.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Thanks ClockworkAlice!

Prague has long been on my bucket list! My main association with it is revolution and Kafka which aren't exactly perfume ready associations.

Intrigued by the Linden tree link - especially with the beautiful colours they turn in autumn. I had a linden soap I loved, but I don't think that's a scent in my collection at all.
    My current rotation:
    Vetivers: Root of all Goodness by Parterre & Autumn 19 by Ffern
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi, Paithaini by Penhaligons & 154 by Jo Malone

Foundation myth about Prague from wikipedia

hazelnuts

"Přemysl married Libuše, the traditional foundress of Prague, and became prince of the Bohemian Czechs.[3] However, according to the legends, because they found him before he had finished ploughing the field famine was anticipated for the land and did actually come about. He was also said to have planted his hazel-wood staff in the ground before he left, which then grew three sprouts, two of which died but the third continued to grow; this was an omen that his first two sons with Libuše, Radobyl and Lidomir, would die, but their third son, Nezamysl would live and continue the Přemyslid dynasty. Legend has it that the staff continued to grow, and the inhabitants of the neighbouring town were given a grant exempting them from taxes, except for a pint of hazel nuts each year, a tradition which continued into the reign of Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor, from whom Pope Pius II claimed to have seen a charter renewing the exemption."
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast