Code of Conduct
Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 1725
o

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

Oh this should be fun! Like any guide, it's mostly something I take with a pinch of salt and amusement anyway, I haven't delved much into the current version but just clicking through the links, some of the one liners made me chuckle:

Central Park – Bond No. 9 : menthol rub
    Chypre Rouge – Serge Lutens : immortelle disaster
    Egoiste Platinum – Chanel : sad fougere
    Tuscan Leather – Tom Ford : new car
    Carrot Blossom Fennel – Jo Malone : not carrot
    Oolong Tea – Jo Malone : fruity nothing

I was surprised to see three of my favourite fragrances on the list though!
    Poivre Samarcande – Hermes (if this had any longevity at all or had gone on sale for less than £100 I would have had a bottle ages ago), Cape Heartache – Imaginary Authors (one of the few perfumes my husband asked me to buy) & Elephant – Zoologist (this was love at first smell for me)

Moth also by Zoologist is on my wishlist; it seems generally Zoologist doesn't do super well by them - T-Rex being a notable exception, which is definitely one of the weirder options.

Most of my samples from Le Labo also seem to panned. Come Friday I have plenty to choose from! Do I go with one of my all time favourites or use this as an excuse to dip into my samples. Hmmmmmmm.
    My current rotation:
    Vetivers: Root of all Goodness by Parterre & Autumn 19 by Ffern
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi, Paithaini by Penhaligons & 154 by Jo Malone

Thank you for the useful links, Clockwork Alice. I expected to sit this one out because of - sssssh ! - not having read The Guide.

I don't have any of Turin's * star frags, but several that only score ** two, including Penhaligon's Elixir 'cinnamon rose', which I shall wear to Synch, and as part of my personal incense/smoke month. I don't get much rose from it (thankfully), mostly eucalyptus and incense. By evening, though Elixir's longevity is not bad, I might switch to Etro Ambra 'hippie amber', which he also dislikes. I disagree with both those descriptions. And how can he not like Dior Fahrenheit ? What's wrong with him ?
    early December - in the bleak midwinter, cold or animalic : CdG Zagorsk; YSL Body Kouros; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Dior Fahrenheit; Tom Daxon Iridium; Hermes Hiris; Etro Heliotrope, Messe de Minuit; Knize Forest; Hiram Green Hyde; Papillon Anubis, Anglique; Mona di Orio Cuir; Tauer Lonestar Memories; Francesca Bianchi The Lover's Tale; Serge Lutens La Couche du Diable; Lalique Encre Noire

Blog Entries

l own both versions of The Guide, & l'm pretty sure l wore Allure (panned in the first book) the last time we did this synch, so l wanted to choose something from the second book for this one.

l own one 1-star fragrance, Suntanglam by SP Parfums, described as "tropical mildew" in The Guide.

l have three 2-star choices: Caligna, Greek Keys & Like This.

As the rest are summer perfumes for me, l'm going with Like This, described as "the smell of clean dogs"! For me it's a warm, comforting & delicious gourmand-oriental, perfect for a cold & gloomy autumn day.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDalloway View Post
    For Prague you could cheat by wearing something approved by Kafkaesque?
    Good strategy.

Let's see, among the 1 stars, I have access to:

Cacharel pour l’Homme – Cacharel : nutmeg citrus
    Pour Monsieur Concentre – Chanel : sweetened chypre
    Tabac Blond – Caron : woody floral
    Vetiver – Creed : not vetiver
    Amyris Homme – Maison Francis Kurkdjian : citrus fougere

I have to say...WTF, Turin!?

This is a great idea for the sync. I expected a few "guilty pleasure" type of scents in my collection to be in there, but that list is actually really surprising to me outside of Amyris, which, ok, that's a crowdpleasing guilty pleasure.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

The Tuscan leather " new car" cracked me up ;p I have a sample so might wear that or Infusion d'iris " woody floral" ( what's wrong with that, anyway?...)

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Hahaha, grayspoole, that's a funny review!
    I only have read the ones that are available online and the intro to the 2018 issue that was available on Amazon - and they all were such an entertaining read! I am really looking forward to getting the books - when I decide if I should go for cheaper ebooks or paper editions, as I feel it's more rewarding read in a non-linear fashion which is more convenient physically.
    You probably already know this, but Amazon used books is the way to go. I always get used and I can usually get them for pennies on the dollar and cheap or free shipping. Got a nearly perfect hardcover copy of Lizzy Ostrom’s A Century of Scents for $6 and free ship.

I’ve got at least 8 or so from the 1-2 star lists that I have already sampled or regularly wear, but I’ll choose from these (Vintages or early releases):

Amirage
    Dior Addict
    Lauren

Got a few others waiting to be sampled
    ”I want all the perfumes”

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Ooh, Neroli Portofino - two stars. Expensive cologne. Perfect for the heat tomorrow.

thats the only one I have as well. Unfortunately I got rid of many samples when I moved. If it still had those samples I’d have had a much bigger range t choose from.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    You probably already know this, but Amazon used books is the way to go. I always get used and I can usually get them for pennies on the dollar and cheap or free shipping. Got a nearly perfect hardcover copy of Lizzy Ostrom’s A Century of Scents for $6 and free ship.

I’ve got at least 8 or so from the 1-2 star lists that I have already sampled or regularly wear, but I’ll choose from these (Vintages or early releases):

Amirage
    Dior Addict
    Lauren

Got a few others waiting to be sampled
    Earlyn, thank you for a great tip!

Freed from BN Institution

I'm a little bit early, because next week is going to be EXCITING - Panned by The Guide!
    Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez wrote 2 Perfume Guides - one many years ago, and one last year.
    Here are 1-star and 2-star rated perfumes from the 1st guide:
    https://scentertainer.net/en/top-lis...ar-luca-turin/
    https://scentertainer.net/en/top-lis...rs-luca-turin/
    And here are 1-star and 2-star rated perfumes from the 2nd guide:
    https://scentertainer.net/en/new-top...ca-turin-2018/
    https://scentertainer.net/en/new-top...ca-turin-2018/
    This one is going to take some thinking but these links will certainly cut down on time. Many thanks for sharing these ClockworkAlice
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

I have a few 2 stars and even 1 star so will have think how low should I go.
    DONNA

My favorite sync! Reporting in now in case I don't get a chance tomorrow.

I'm going with already-mentioned Dior Addict, from two samples, original issue and 2014 version. I have plenty of panned scents in my bottle collection but wanted to do some sampling, if anything from the books was lurking in my stash. Looking through the entries, I remembered this one has always stuck out as especially hilarious to me. And it's my favorite kind of Guide review, with both LT and TS chiming in. Turin says it "smells nasty from all angles", which already had me cracking up, but this is topped by the missus' review. And it makes me want to drink with her.

From Tania Sanchez:
    I liked it very much in Macy's when I went there drunk one day, and told everyone afterward I had found the perfect bourbon vanilla with orange blossom, as if it had been a life quest. Sadly, the bourbon was all me.

Ah, the dangers of sampling under the influence! I am still super excited to finally try this one; thank you, N.Cal! Happy sync, all!
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Sillage Monster

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    My favorite sync!
    Agreed, PerfumedLady! This sync appeals to the contrarian in me.

I’ll be wearing Diptyque Eau de Lierre, “watered gin”, probably for the last time. After my recent massive wardrobe purge, it’s going into my vaulted stash of 10 fragrances that I don’t plan to wear anymore. I should have kept L’Ombre Dans L’Eau instead because it’s one of the best from the Diptyque line. Oh, well. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

A few one stars left my wardrobe long ago:

Amazing Grace by Philosophy - “generic muguet”
    Bluebell by Penhaligons - “hideous floral”
    Original Santal by Creed - “sweet oriental”

I don’t miss them, at all.
    Note to self: Choose being kind over being right, and you’ll be right every time.

Basenotes Plus

I've known for months what my choice would be for this sync: Hiris d'Hermes.

Amusingly dismissed by Turin with one word: 'Orrible. He called it a "sad iris" and dissed both it and perfumer Giacobetti by calling it "one of her sour, thin florals".

I adore it and find it melancholy rather than sad, crisp rather than sour, and light-footed rather than thin. And who could disapprove of that beautiful blue bottle?

Ah, the dangers of sampling under the influence!
    That should go into the Rules of Shopping, along with "Never go grocery shopping when you're hungry."

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Agreed, PerfumedLady! This sync appeals to the contrarian in me.

I’ll be wearing Diptyque Eau de Lierre, “watered gin”, probably for the last time. After my recent massive wardrobe purge, it’s going into my vaulted stash of 10 fragrances that I don’t plan to wear anymore. I should have kept L’Ombre Dans L’Eau instead because it’s one of the best from the Diptyque line. Oh, well. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.
    I actually really like Eau de Lierre. I enjoyed my sample but not quite enough to buy a full bottle. TBH I can see why it got one star and, yes, you should’ve kept l’Ombre dans l’Eau
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

Oh I own several one star fragrances from the current guide. Hedonist and the Hedonist flankers (Iris and Cassis)--all 3 were panned with one star, and Buonissimo (I have a large decant), described as "hazelnuts cocoa." I'll probably go with the latter since it works well on cold days.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: High Frequency by Initio

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Starting out with something from the new guide - one of my top wears in 2019.

Wanted (Azzaro) * nightmare fougère

Wanted? A repulsively powerful, vulgar hybrid between Azzaro Homme and Cool Water, with a dollop of an odious woody-amber thrown in to make sure the nightmare never ends. Touch your nose accidentally with the smelling strip and you will be followed around by Virtual Guido all day. I feel sorry for the poor girl whose date turns up stinking of this. LT

375x500.38686.jpg
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Polo Red by Ralph Lauren

It's so much fun reading about all your choices and how the scents that you chose were panned!
    Oh joy!
    As I said, I'm wearing Black Opium by YSL - I can see why it's not the top of parfumery and its a pretty commercial scent, but I enjoy wearing and smelling it, and in modest doses it makes me happy - is there anything more to ask?

I would be very thankful if someone could share the scorching review of it from the 2nd Guide with me. And I'd love to read a 2 star review of Le baiser du Dragon by Cartier from the first Guide just to see why it's a failed oriental, too!

Blog Entries

As planned upthread, l've gone with the 2-star Like This by ELd'O, described as reminding of "the smell of clean dogs". Well, thank goodness it's not dirty dogs!!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I will sync with Creed Original Santal. I absolutely hate this fragrance, one of the worst Creeds that I've smelled. There's no sandalwood in this fragrance.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

My favorite sync! Reporting in now in case I don't get a chance tomorrow.

I'm going with already-mentioned Dior Addict, from two samples, original issue and 2014 version. I have plenty of panned scents in my bottle collection but wanted to do some sampling, if anything from the books was lurking in my stash. Looking through the entries, I remembered this one has always stuck out as especially hilarious to me. And it's my favorite kind of Guide review, with both LT and TS chiming in. Turin says it "smells nasty from all angles", which already had me cracking up, but this is topped by the missus' review. And it makes me want to drink with her.

From Tania Sanchez:
    I liked it very much in Macy's when I went there drunk one day, and told everyone afterward I had found the perfect bourbon vanilla with orange blossom, as if it had been a life quest. Sadly, the bourbon was all me.

Ah, the dangers of sampling under the influence! I am still super excited to finally try this one; thank you, N.Cal! Happy sync, all!
    You're very welcome PL I thought the vintage Dior Addict was pleasing.

My sync for today is Zoologist's Elephant which has two stars in the current guide as a "milky green floral competently done but a bit amorphous and aimless"

Which is exactly why I like it. A bit broody and unhurried.
    My current rotation:
    Vetivers: Root of all Goodness by Parterre & Autumn 19 by Ffern
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi, Paithaini by Penhaligons & 154 by Jo Malone

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I've known for months what my choice would be for this sync: Hiris d'Hermes.

Amusingly dismissed by Turin with one word: 'Orrible. He called it a "sad iris" and dissed both it and perfumer Giacobetti by calling it "one of her sour, thin florals".

I adore it and find it melancholy rather than sad, crisp rather than sour, and light-footed rather than thin. And who could disapprove of that beautiful blue bottle?

That should go into the Rules of Shopping, along with "Never go grocery shopping when you're hungry."
    I have decided to also go for Hiris. I was going for something else but changed my mind. It was going to be Royal Bain By Caron.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

It's so much fun reading about all your choices and how the scents that you chose were panned!
    Oh joy!
    As I said, I'm wearing Black Opium by YSL - I can see why it's not the top of parfumery and its a pretty commercial scent, but I enjoy wearing and smelling it, and in modest doses it makes me happy - is there anything more to ask?

I would be very thankful if someone could share the scorching review of it from the 2nd Guide with me. And I'd love to read a 2 star review of Le baiser du Dragon by Cartier from the first Guide just to see why it's a failed oriental, too!
    Love Black Opium!

I can't get the reviews for you now - maybe later. Both are long. His BO review is almost a diatribe against the industry! Hilarious, both!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Just now switching to Must de Cartier. BN reviews are generally kind - it's popular! 31/41 positive, 5 each neutral and negative. Turin likens it to that last chocolate in the box - the really wrong one - that nobody wants! One star!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Must de Cartier = Santos Pour Femme!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I have quite a number of things LT doesn't appreciate (but I adore), so this sync should be easy.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Love Black Opium!

I can't get the reviews for you now - maybe later. Both are long. His BO review is almost a diatribe against the industry! Hilarious, both!
    I imagine it must be hilarious!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Just now switching to Must de Cartier. BN reviews are generally kind - it's popular! 31/41 positive, 5 each neutral and negative. Turin likens it to that last chocolate in the box - the really wrong one - that nobody wants! One star!
    Alas! I was so intrigued to hear more about by the "Virtual Guido" of Wanted, having been born and raised in Brooklyn in the 1970's where the guidos roamed free, until they moved to New Jersey, to hang out at the shore...

I also like vintage Must de Cartier. An interesting effort, along the lines of vintage Dioressence's odd combination of green, galbanum top and vanilla in the base.

It is still going to be vintage Amarige for me today.
    Currently wearing: Amarige by Givenchy

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Thought it was still Thursday. Bad week for me.

Florentina by Sylvaine Delacourte.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...

Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast