Code of Conduct
Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 1817
o

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2019

Happy Hazel day! Vanilla is a great note for a sync. I have many scents with some vanilla in the base and a few with it as a dominant feature. I'm a Guerlain lover in general and a Shalimar wearer specifically, so I certainly do find it a fascinating note, even if I do like it a bit more tucked in. When I love a truly vanilla dominant scent though, I tend to really love it. I joined the Un Bois Vanille party for daytime because it's too good to skip on a vanilla day! For evening, I'll go with Tauerville Vanilla Flash, which was a gift from a very special perfumista a few years ago. A tobacco-ish vanilla with a bit of glistening and glowing Tauer rose.

Big fan of Black Flower Mexican Vanilla here!
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Whoops I missed this. Maybe tonight I'll check in later tonight with a vanilla.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Synching as anticipated in Eau des Baux - and yes the vanilla note is more prominent in the drydown, Hazel5. Funny, I don't think of this as an amber scent - at least, not compared to my personal 'reference' amber, which is Etro Ambra.

But now it's evening, and I am wearing Odin 07 Tanoke : frankincense, nutmeg, ginger, bitter orange, and woods. This is my seasonal frag equivalent to the way other folk rave about Lutens Fille en Aiguilles. Only one more day of Incense and Smoke November....
    January to Candlemas - cold, pale and dark : CdG Zagorsk; PradaInfusion d'Iris; L.T Piver Heliotrope Blanc; Etro Heliotrope and Vetiver; Gucci Guilty Absolute pH; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Lalique Encre Noire.
    Sampling Papillon Angelique; Tom Daxon Iridium; Rundholz Feb 14, 1912, Andy Tauer Lonesome Rider; Penhaligon's Sartorial; Tom Ford Ombre Leather.

Quote Originally Posted by justfoxie View Post
    Speaking of shattering expectations and opening up a whole new world - I went a bit left field and packed my sample of Hyde for today's synch (as well as Tonka 25 just in case). I haven't worn it before and the notes show some vanilla in the pyramid. . .WOW. Just so much Wow! I can't get enough of this! Smoky (mesquite, but also a touch of church incense?) but with a truly inspired touch of sweetness from the vanilla and maybe a little of something floral (maybe the cassia?) that weaves in and out, plus a damp earthiness. I need this in my life so hard.

Happy Hazel5 BN day!
    Hyde is one of my favourites at the moment too. Really quite complex and subtle, with a kind of Jekyll and Hyde dual identity (leather/animalic, incense/floral; smoky/heavy, airy/light by turns). Not to mention a possible play on homonyms and meanings : hide (conceal)/hide(skin)/hyde(Jekyll etc). Certainly has greater complexity compared to frags like Tauer's Lonestar Memories, Mona di Orio Cuir, or Papillon Anubis, all of which I greatly enjoy, but don't think I would find enough occasions to wear to be FB worthy. The other leather/animalic+floral that's caught my attention is Francesca Bianchi's The Lover's Tale. Not yet tried on skin - need enough time to reach the drydown.
    January to Candlemas - cold, pale and dark : CdG Zagorsk; PradaInfusion d'Iris; L.T Piver Heliotrope Blanc; Etro Heliotrope and Vetiver; Gucci Guilty Absolute pH; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Lalique Encre Noire.
    Sampling Papillon Angelique; Tom Daxon Iridium; Rundholz Feb 14, 1912, Andy Tauer Lonesome Rider; Penhaligon's Sartorial; Tom Ford Ombre Leather.

Basenotes Plus

Enjoying my vanilla day immensely. Post gym and shower I have on a little Wowilla body oil and I Profumi di Firenze's Vaniglia del Madagascar (which reminds me a lot of Molinard Vanille and if I weren't such a vanilla fan I'd find them redundant).
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: Lost Cherry by Tom Ford

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Aqua Allegoria Ylang & Vanille by Guerlain. Ylang is so good here, I could chew off my arm.
    Currently wearing: Bee by Zoologist Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

I was a bit surprised to see how many Maurice Roucel bottles I own for this Friday's sync. I think of him as a creator of rather sweet perfumes, and didn't realize he's been around long enough to have created such an old-school aldehydic chypre as K de Krizia.

I've got:
    K de Krizia - 1981
    Tocade, Rochas - 1994
    Musc Ravageur, Malle - 2000
    L de Lolita Lempicka - 2006
    Missoni - 2006
    Fleur de Corail, Lolita Lempicka - 2008

I'm kind of leaning toward the Missoni at the moment. I blind bought it based entirely on Luca Turin's rave in The Guide, and it has the only chocolate accord I've ever liked, though I seldom wear it. But the Krizia might win out.

Roucel seems like quite a character, what with his often-witty perfumes and being simultaneously a marathon runner and cigarette smoker. I've always thought of him as a creator of feminine scents, but there are quite a few masculines on his C.V. too:

http://www.basenotes.net/person/319
    Last edited by Cook.bot; 5th December 2019 at 05:11 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I have a lot of Maurice Roucel options! Hard pick.

Interesting bug in the directory search. Cook's link brings back 77 fragrances, but searching on Rouc or Roucel brings back only 71. Full name brings back 68. Three of the missing ones were checked - all have his full name correctly, and all have a supplier, too - Symrise. Searching Symrise as a perfumer brings back 44 fragrances, including some of the missing and non-missing, but not all, plus many non-Roucel, so no clear correlation, but may be related. Just FYI to Grant.

MR did some real classics and popular ones. B&BW Japanese Cherry Blossom probably made more money in kitchen and bath products than any other frag in their lineup! I've got it, too. Tempting! But 24 Faubourg and L'Instant are awesome. Have all his Bonds, I think, Nautica Voyage, and more. And Rochas Man - great one!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

I have nothing by mr. Roucel so I'll just wear whatever I feel like tomorrow.

Cook.bot and Redneck Perfumisto, thank you for interesting information!
    I always suspected I might like L by Lolita Lempicka, but since it's discontinued I'm not going to hunt for it.

Freed from BN Institution

I have two choices for Maurice Roucel: Musc Ravager and New Haarlem. Since I never wear New Haarlem anymore it will have to be Musc Ravager.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

not right, in the head

Blog Entries

I had a bunch of his creations. Ironically I have sold all of them! I DO have two of "his", in decants. Only one of which, is actually handy...

not right, in the head

Blog Entries

I stand corrected. I have only one, Oro by Cavalli.

I have nothing by Maurice Roucel, though I wouldn't say no a bottle of Iris Silver Mist if one appeared at my door looking for a new home.

Since that's unlikely, I'll probably wear something animalic - I've had a public-facing week, so have erred towards the cold/clean side of my current rotation - but tomorrow is all mine. I have a sample of Francesca Bianchi The Lover's Tale waiting for a skin test.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

My first choice of what to wear from Maurice Roucel is, without a doubt, his legendary mustache:

What a boss. Since that's not an option (and would look absurd on me) I'll go with Musc Ravageur. If this Sync were in warmer weather, I'd be going for Iris Silver Mist. I love it for an unconventional cooling/heat relieving summer scent. "Frozen carrots from outer space" to the rescue.

---edit---

Thanks to "Restore Auto-saved" or whatever it is called, I noticed my vanilla Sync didn't post last Friday. From then:

Currently synched in Vanilla Bourbon Intense - DSH

Broke out some vanilla samples for this. It has reinforced the fact that I like vanilla in perfumes but not necessarily vanilla perfumes. Tihota, Vanilla Bourbon Intense...they smell very nice, because vanilla smells nice, and they smell like vanilla. But I find they just drone on with a single chord and don't really hold my interest. Which as a general concept, I'm not opposed to things being linear (I quite the monotone nature of sandal oil), but I guess I'm not into monotone vanilla. The level of polish in Tihota is impressive though, a solid ode to the sweet-but-not-too-sweet side of vanilla.

Revisiting the little dabber sample of Mona di Orio Vanille was a treat. That stuff smells awesome. Really, really good. Full bottles are a little rich for my blood but I'd consider a 3-5ml decant.

For the synch I can either wear Lolita lempicka L or Musc Ravageur. I guess the most workfriendly scent would be L so that's what I plan to wear.
    Currently wearing: Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

If joining the sync, fragranes of his along the lines of Rochas Man and Bogart pour Homme might be the likeliest options

I'm short on Roucels. I had a sample of Musc Ravageur that I used up some time ago. Great stuff, and a niche classic. I ought to get a decant at some point.

I think I have a tiny sample of Iris Silver Mist, so I'll try to dig it out and give it a spin. Also decant-worthy, and a niche classic.

Oh! I have a big honking bottle of R de Revillon. Honestly, I don't love it, and I just bought it because it had some positive buzz awhile back and it costs about as much as a cheeseburger. It's good, technically speaking, just a little boring and not something I often feel compelled to wear.

Helmut Lang EDP and/or EDC are on my "to smell" list. Wasn't aware Roucel was behind those.

Guerlain L'Instant is a good one; my mother in law wears it (a gift from me!).
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Alliage by Estée Lauder

Blog Entries

l've sampled a few, & gone through bottles of some, notably Oro & L'Instant. But all l have at the moment is a tiny sample of Tocade, that l'm saving to try again in warmer weather. So l'll be sitting this one out, but watching from the sidelines!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Unfortunately I don’t think I’ve got anything so I’ll have to sit this one out.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Freed from BN Institution

Syncing with Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Bummer, I missed the vanilla sync. I think I was just sleeping off Thanksgiving for a few days and forgot, but I’ve made notes about everyone’s sync scents and suggestions to take sample hunting. Sounds like it was a delicious smelling day.

For tomorrow’s Maurice Roucel sync I have either
    Tocade or
    K de Krizia

I’m going to do both - start the day in Tocade, and then in the evening I’ll wear K de Krizia.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Xi'a Xi'ang by Revlon

I actually own two of his but decided to go with the sample instead of the FB.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Métallique by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

I enjoy a number of Maurice Roucel’s perfumes. In the past I’ve owned Musc Ravageur and Helmut Lang. Currently I have Labdanum 18, which is in the same vein as Helmut Lang, Tocade, and my choice for today, Lyra. Fans of Shalimar and vintage Emeraude would enjoy this lovely, powdery gem. I also recognize a bit of Musc Ravageur in here, too.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

I enjoy Roucel's verve and range.

I am deciding between Gucci Envy parfum or Guerlain Insolence EDP.

Basenotes Plus

And it's ... K de Krizia for the win! Now, where are my elbow-length gloves and ebony cigarette holder?

Oooh me too. Copying two of you in K de Krizia. I have a tiny mini of that one and love it.

I actually used to really use a bejewelled long black cigarette holder a very long time ago. We used to go out all dressed up and smoke black and silver sobrani in them. Sometimes if it was a night out with the girls, we used to share out a large coffret of cocktail sobranis to use only the ciggy colours that best matched our outfits. It belonged to my grandmother but wasn't real jewels though. Just paste. No idea where it went. They were a good idea because then your fingers didn't smell. We didn't think of the ciggy breath though.

Sobranies.jpg
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

I'm syncing with Musc Ravageur as well. Maurice Roucel is probably my favorite perfumer, so I'm enjoying this day! I've also already had a compliment on it. My daughter said that "something smells really yummy" and that I smelled like cupcakes!
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Found my sample of Lutens Iris Silver Mist. Wearing it now.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    "Frozen carrots from outer space"
    Possibly the best 5-word scent description ever.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Alliage by Estée Lauder

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    And it's ... K de Krizia for the win! Now, where are my elbow-length gloves and ebony cigarette holder?

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Oooh me too. Copying two of you in K de Krizia. I have a tiny mini of that one and love it.

I actually used to really use a bejewelled long black cigarette holder a very long time ago. We used to go out all dressed up and smoke black and silver sobrani in them. Sometimes if it was a night out with the girls, we used to share out a large coffret of cocktail sobranis to use only the ciggy colours that best matched our outfits. It belonged to my grandmother but wasn't real jewels though. Just paste. No idea where it went. They were a good idea because then your fingers didn't smell. We didn't think of the ciggy breath though.

Sobranies.jpg
    Oh this is so familiar. I used to smoke Sherman Fantasias. I no longer smoke regularly but I’ll have probably 4-6 cigarettes a year and this is what they are. My husband bought me a box of these for the holidays. Not really a party thing anymore. A glass of liqueur on the porch more likely, and the K de Krizia of course.

9B23654E-704F-47C2-BB8C-983F2F5E1170.jpg
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Xi'a Xi'ang by Revlon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I actually used to really use a bejewelled long black cigarette holder a very long time ago. We used to go out all dressed up and smoke black and silver sobrani in them.
    How well I remember those gold-tipped sobranies, Mumsy. We used to think we were such hot sh*t as kids, smoking them. For a very long time I kept one of the boxes they came in because I'd gotten Otis Redding's autograph on it when I had no other paper on me. Alas, it disappeared in one of my cross-country moves.

Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast