Code of Conduct

Default Hiram Green Hyde review by Claire

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Hiram Green Hyde review by Claire

Appreciate the link.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting!

I have yet to find a Hiram Green scent that I love, but I'll try this one.

Basenotes Plus

Hyde by Hiram Green is an exercise in birch tar.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Hyde by Hiram Green is an exercise in birch tar.

Bring it on.
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan

So I got my sample today and it is impressive. I still can’t believe how potent his scents are, no other all natural line has the oomph on my skin that his has. It is very smoky on me, lots of birch tar. The other scents I own that come to mind are Profumum Fumidus, Le Labo Patchouli, Tauer Lonesome Rider and Naomi Goodsir Bois d’Ascèse for a similar smoke factor. Well worth a try if you like this type of scent.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    So I got my sample today and it is impressive. I still can’t believe how potent his scents are, no other all natural line has the oomph on my skin that his has. It is very smoky on me, lots of birch tar. The other scents I own that come to mind are Profumum Fumidus, Le Labo Patchouli, Tauer Lonesome Rider and Naomi Goodsir Bois d’Ascèse for a similar smoke factor. Well worth a try if you like this type of scent.
    Do you think that it is FBW?
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    You might to give Zoologist's Tyrannosaurus Rex a try too. It's smoky, but through the use of cade oil. Smells to me of burnt wood and incense, with leather and various firs and florals. Really aggressive opening.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

I have a decant of T-Rex on the way, looking forward to trying it. As for Hyde, if I didn’t already have so many other smoky scents it would be FBW, but I feel like I’m already saturated in that category"

Ordered a sample just before this was posted. Now I'm even more intrigued.

Basenotes Plus

Lucky Scent has Hyde and 6 others in a sample pack for a Black Friday deal today. For $22.

ww.luckyscent.com/lp/em/black-friday-2018
    Most worn:

Finally sampled Hyde today. I appreciate the initial smoked paprika campfire blast, but the rest is very linear, and boring. It keeps reminding me of Pink Wood, for some reason- Like iit's a dark, smoky flanker of it.
    Last edited by Hothamwater; 18th May 2019 at 08:26 PM.

User of Toilet Water

I blind-bought it as a last minute add-on to an order from First in Fragrance earlier this year and after two sprays on a test strip, I put it up for sale. Completely unwearable. And it's so strong, you can't really just wear it for yourself. Even with one spray, you'll be wearing it for everyone in the room.

I think this one would be a dabber for me rather than a sprayer. I have a few scents that can only be worn dabbed due to their potency. A couple of samples would be a lifetime supply.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    I blind-bought it as a last minute add-on to an order from First in Fragrance earlier this year and after two sprays on a test strip, I put it up for sale. Completely unwearable. And it's so strong, you can't really just wear it for yourself. Even with one spray, you'll be wearing it for everyone in the room.
    The opening is quite aggressive, but after about 30minutes it tones way down. Like dramatically down. The drydown is very, very good and easy-wearing. Getting there though...
    Most worn:

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    The opening is quite aggressive, but after about 30minutes it tones way down. Like dramatically down. The drydown is very, very good and easy-wearing. Getting there though...
    Yes, agree with this, though I very much enjoy the opening and development. By the time I left the house, it would have reached that drydown, which is also very good.
    It's a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde, as well as a Hyde/hide (both leather and concealment).
    I wouldn't use a FB, but a couple more samples or a split would do nicely.
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan