Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Hendley Laboratory Series 2019

Shout out to @IsoESuperman for sending out a sample of Felt as I was too late to join the party. This is a good scent and perfect for the winter time. I get warm spices, almost herbal, like Chinese medicine, but in a good way. The dry down is slightly smoky, and slightly sweet. This scent feels like it is lightly covering you in a warm spice blanket, hence it is great for the winter time. Looking forward to the other releases if Hans does send out extras. Thanks.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I'm way behind in posting full thoughts on Felt, but I'll get there. Hopefully before the next installment is out.

Speaking of, current word is that it will be shipped the last week of March. Hans has some details in the blog. Daffodils for spring - I'm in. I wear the living daylights out of Au Delà Narcisse during spring and early summer, and I'm more than happy to have some other daffodil/narcissus company for it.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I enjoyed the lightness with the spice. Depth without being earnest or serious.

Untitled sample was very weak for me. Not substantial enough to get a grasp on. For me.
    Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post
    Trying felt...opening smells very similar to norne which i am not a fan of....dry down is very nice though, smells almost like a cousin of fume
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCactus View Post
    Shout out to @IsoESuperman for sending out a sample of Felt as I was too late to join the party. This is a good scent and perfect for the winter time. I get warm spices, almost herbal, like Chinese medicine, but in a good way. The dry down is slightly smoky, and slightly sweet. This scent feels like it is lightly covering you in a warm spice blanket, hence it is great for the winter time. Looking forward to the other releases if Hans does send out extras. Thanks.
    Glad you guys enjoyed, I've been liking it as well. succio, when I first saw your comment about Norne and Fume, I wondered if we might be living in different universes. I do think Norne and Fume smell alike and very much so, dominated by fir balsam, but I didn't pick up even the slightest hint of fir balsam in Felt. Then during subsequent wearings, I picked up a hint, but barely. Hans mentioned someone else made a comment to him about fir balsam, and then in the Silver Fox review, fir balsam and Norne came up again. So I'm left with the conclusion that it's just me

I also picked up on medicinal aspects of it, almost iodinic in feel, in a good way. I think the first thing I wrote down was "warm spicy medicinal" For such heavy-hitting notes/materials used in Felt, it is kind of extraordinary how spacious and airy it is. Lasts forever on my skin too, but is never loud per se.

Anyway here is The Silver Fox's review for anyone who didn't see it. Link to it here:

I’m writing this wrapped in cashmere and mohair, under the disconcertingly comfort-weight of two duvets topped with a favourite tartan scarf currently occupied by a thrumming watchful black cat. I’m wearing Felt by the lovely @hans.hendley, one of my most beloved perfumers. The first in his intriguing Laboratory Series, exploring ideas outside his main line, Felt is a skein of unexpected soft-worked nutmeg and cardamom, chai mood, Hans’ careful processes and a sense of kind needful attraction. There is a consistent charm to his work, a dedication to quality and quiet moments of beauty. I’ve admired him from across the water and watched him become a methodical complex perfumer.

I was struck by the atmospheric fir balsam in Felt; a medicinal shuddering thing to me, in my senses forever echoing Josh Lobb’s Slumberhouse Norne, the ultimate forest-haunted of all artisanal compositions. But Hans has over time become an expert rose-whisperer and the bloom unfolding in the muttering green shadow of fir, benzoin and the gentle fume of opoponax brings light to the umbra.

Felt asks for comfort and quietude. I like what Hans has done with this chai/mulled skin aroma, it rises to the nose like simmered rose in spiced ashen wine. The fir balsam is perhaps a little too insistent at times, but my skin amplified the green bacon BBQ facets of Norne to thrash metal levels. Thankfully we are all different and our individual flesh will react uniquely to the beauty of Felt. It has a delicious transparency for something with these kinds of notes and this makes it all the more assuaging. I like to sink into perfume at night, the notes wrapped around me, floating off my body to caress and whisper. If they weigh me down, sit heavy in my chest I will ache and resent them. Felt is Hans Hendley loveliness. In my cocoon of textures, right now, it is all I want.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Speaking of, current word is that it will be shipped the last week of March. Hans has some details in the blog. Daffodils for spring - I'm in. I wear the living daylights out of Au Delà Narcisse during spring and early summer, and I'm more than happy to have some other daffodil/narcissus company for it.
    I've been checking back to see if this has been posted, this has intrigued me. If anyone gets a hold of it, I would be interested in some thoughts.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Installment #2 landed today - Narcis

Jonquil absolute, tuberose, iris root, beeswax, guaiac heart, light chypre accord, musk

There are some fun little marbles in the bottle. Perhaps a nod to the mighty Josh Lobb, who I know Hans admires, as do I.

It's been on for only an hour but so far I am really enjoying it. I love the smell of blooming daffodils, as well as the few narcissus/jonquil/daffodil fragrances I've smelled alike. I'm not great at describing their scent but to me it's sort of a narcotic, rubbery, green/yellow type of smell with some spice and very faint nutty/fatty facets. Rounded and smooth but still very nuanced and 'wide'. I haven't confirmed with Hans, but if this doesn't contain a big slug of some real narcissus/jonquil material, I'd be shocked. Jonquil absolute is listed, so I'm guessing there must be.

Deep, a little resinous, definitely a prominent neoclassical chypre leaning, and a big beautiful narcissus like heart. No sharp edges here or austere resting-chypre-face in this, though. For me, this is warm and approachable. I wore it for a while before I looked up the notes and I was surprised to see tuberose, because I don't really smell any in here. I don't doubt it's used, but it seems to integrate very will with the narcissus.

I think fans of Bruno's Au Delà Narcisse will enjoy this. It's a great springtime unisex floral. I was wearing Au Delà Narcisse today for Friday Sync (and because it's stunning) and wearing the two side by side is a delight. While I appreciate white floral chypres for their classic structure and beauty, I'm not all that comfortable wearing most of them. They just don't feel like me. However, Bruno managed to create some wizardy in AdN that turned it into one of my most worn over the past 3 or so years.

While Narcis is entirely its own scent and perhaps only related to AdN through narcissus, they both manage to do something with narcissus and a classic chypre structure that turns the final product into something I not only feel comfortable in, but thoroughly enjoy. I look forward to wearing Narcis more as it warms up and stuff finally starts to bloom here.

Once again Hans was kind enough to include some extra, so decants will be going out to some folks to sniff. Thank you, Hans!

Basenotes Plus

Okay, so one wearing from a novice here. Narcis is very much a Bruno Fazzolari blend, reminds me of some of his. I'm a huge fan.

I do get tuberose, lots of it, mellowed with the big open spaces that is to me the characteristic of Hendley's wonderful blends. I think this is a tuberose blend to me over a chypre base. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post

Once again Hans was kind enough to include some extra, so decants will be going out to some folks to sniff. Thank you, Hans!
    I am looking forward to this! Thanks again Hans and IsoESuperman.

So is Narcis only a limited run available to laboratory subscribers? Not sure why I thought it would be released as a regular all this time!

edit: Narcis sample on the way!
    Last edited by DanDan; 9th April 2019 at 01:52 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I didn’t get much longevity for the last wearing for Narcis. Although I enjoy it while it lasts.