Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Why so many vintage frags in Russia?

Fakes are everywhere - Russia isn't an exception.

I've purchased 3-4 over the years from Russia without issues.
    Currently wearing: Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Default Why so many vintage frags in Russia?

There's a russian dude on Etsy (MyScent) with a good rep who has the most incredibly awesome selection of vintages, but his prices though are so ridiculously steep it's not even funny. Unless you have pockets as deep as the Grand Canyon, that is.

Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    There's a russian dude on Etsy (MyScent) with a good rep who has the most incredibly awesome selection of vintages, but his prices though are so ridiculously steep it's not even funny. Unless you have pockets as deep as the Grand Canyon, that is.

He probably buys up all the more reasonable eBay listings to stock his "store".
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    He probably buys up all the more reasonable eBay listings to stock his "store".
    My thoughts excactly, sir. If only his prices were more for everyone instead of for the few. I mean, I have more or less drooled over many a listing from him, but I just can't justify the pricetags on even the most common of vtgs.
    But DAMN his selection is mindblowing.

Oh, to be a crafty business man. Not a skill I've inherited, unfortunately LOL

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

My thoughts excactly, sir. If only his prices were more for everyone instead of for the few. I mean, I have more or less drooled over many a listing from him, but I just can't justify the pricetags on even the most common of vtgs.
    But DAMN his selection is mindblowing.

Oh, to be a crafty business man. Not a skill I've inherited, unfortunately LOL

I don't envy sellers like that. I loathe them. They bleed the hobby dry so it becomes less accessible. That's how you kill a subculture, not help it flourish. Just my 2 cents.

I don't envy sellers like that. I loathe them. They bleed the hobby dry so it becomes less accessible. That's how you kill a subculture, not help it flourish. Just my 2 cents.
    I do agree and never said otherwise. Don't have to be an ass***e to be crafty

Yes. The amount of his vintage fragrances is amazing (>2000 perfumes). I bought several fragrancess from him for my collection several years ago. Yes, it's expensive but for me the main thing is quality

Always be smelling

On the contrary these guys help the hobby and this subculture.
    Without these sellers you won't have access to the vintages.
    I live in a big metropolitan area and have access to thrift stores, garage sale. In three years I have just found 2 vintage perfume. Emeraude and Derby after hours of wasted time searching. And gas. I paid $10 for the fragrances (used no box)but have spent thousands if I account for the time I spent.
    For some of us this hunt is fun but for most this is not feasible for many reasons (no access to thrift store, no time etc)
    These eBay guys scour the garage sales ,eBay listing, online resellers etc to source these bottles saving most of us time and hassle.
    I doubt , nah I an sure, I will never find a sealed vintage egoiste in any garage sale/Goodwill.
    So while I am not a fan of price these sellers charge, I am grateful for what they do for this hobby.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I live in a big metropolitan area and have access to thrift stores, garage sale. In three years I have just found 2 vintage perfume. Emeraude and Derby after hours of wasted time searching. And gas. I paid $10 for the fragrances (used no box)but have spent thousands if I account for the time I spent.
    For some of us this hunt is fun but for most this is not feasible for many reasons (no access to thrift store, no time etc)
    These eBay guys scour the garage sales ,eBay listing, online resellers etc to source these bottles saving most of us time and hassle.
    I doubt , nah I an sure, I will never find a sealed vintage egoiste in any garage sale/Goodwill.
    So while I am not a fan of price these sellers charge, I am grateful for what they do for this hobby.
    Totally agree with you. Our favorite vintage fragrances will soon disappear completely. They will be impossible to find on sale. Therefore, the cost of such fragrances increases.

Default Why so many vintage frags in Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by reegle View Post
    Our favorite vintage fragrances will soon disappear completely.
    Which is favorable to sellers like that, who will then more or less control the vtg market, asking ridiculous prices which only a few can be debonaire about.
    Speculant sellers like that intently stock up on as many frags as possible, thus decreasing diversity on the vtg market, inflating prices, making it increasingly unobtainable for the rest of us.
    So yeah, our favourite vtg frags are disappearing. But not because of the average Joe buying a bottle here and there...

Last edited by Marand75; 15th December 2018 at 04:02 PM.

I'm pretty good at hunting vintage, recently started on ebay too and had nothing but luck so far. If you wait and look around great deals are to be found.
    If I wanted, I could probably have a pretty lucrative side hustle slinging vintage online from finds and ebay deals as many of us here could I think, but it would make me feel icky (probably caus' I'm a pinko french).
    As for Russia, never bought from there but I have to admit I'd be shy, but that's more because news from Russia is often bad news and creates some level of mistrust. I'm sure good feedback sellers from there are the same as all other's.

"It's not the Russians it's the Wu Tang crushin' !!"
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I'm going to double down in disagreement because I'm not going to pay full Creed retail for an old bottle of Boss/Lauder/Whatever because one hobbyist flush with millions wants to control the market. Yes, these fragrances will eventually disappear, and price creep will eventually happen, but this natural process is being expedited by a few people that seek to gatekeep the hobby by hoarding and charging $400 for an old bottle of Polo. You can be or admire "Goosey Guy" all you want. Greed is greed and I'm going to call it for what it is.

I'm going to double down in disagreement because I'm not going to pay full Creed retail for an old bottle of Boss/Lauder/Whatever because one hobbyist flush with millions wants to control the market. Yes, these fragrances will eventually disappear, and price creep will eventually happen, but this natural process is being expedited by a few people that seek to gatekeep the hobby by hoarding and charging $400 for an old bottle of Polo. You can be or admire "Goosey Guy" all you want. Greed is greed and I'm going to call it for what it is.
    Sometimes I wonder if I should just do it and get over my qualms, I mean people invest in real estate, art, cars etc betting on the market and everybody calls it smart investment, why shouldn't I do the same in one of my (admittedly limited and debatable) knowledgeable areas.
    Greed is greed but perfume is nowhere near fossil fuel, war mongering arms dealing, fraudulent banking, big pharma healthcare level greed
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cevenol View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if I should just do it and get over my qualms, I mean people invest in real estate, art, cars etc betting on the market and everybody calls it smart investment, why shouldn't I do the same in one of my (admittedly limited and debatable) knowledgeable areas.
    Greed is greed but perfume is nowhere near fossil fuel, war mongering arms dealing, fraudulent banking, big pharma healthcare level greed
    Everything typed before confirming I'm right becomes thrown out the window once you agreed with me, no offense meant. Investment is entirely different from monopoly. Nobody ever got called a villain for selling their backups, but hoarding dozens of bottles to control supply and inflate prices is monopoly, and that's unethical. I see it in other traded collectables too, and as a former card and music collector, I learned the difference between what "the market supports" versus grabbing the market by the yarboles as a "power seller". Commodity investment (oil/real estate) is entirely incomparable my friend.

Blog Entries

**busily Googles "yarbole"** Gets no answer...assumes it's something by which most people would not wish to be grabbed.

**busily Googles "racketeering"** Gets this:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/racketeering.asp

Note the sentence -- Racketeers offer a deceitful service to fix a problem that otherwise wouldn't exist.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it.

Always be smelling

So you dislike people being greedy and cornering markets?
    Sure I agree and get it. Pretty unfair.
    But where are you going to get that Adidas Original Cologne from or Ted Lapidus PH from?
    Maybe if you join every FB vintage group, fragrantica etc. and become involved, you can have access to some of these long discontinued fragrances.
    Or, if you don't have time or want the hassle, just pay these greedy (and enterprising) eBay power sellers. Greed is the motivator for them to source the item that most of us can't.

Everything typed before confirming I'm right becomes thrown out the window once you agreed with me, no offense meant. Investment is entirely different from monopoly. Nobody ever got called a villain for selling their backups, but hoarding dozens of bottles to control supply and inflate prices is monopoly, and that's unethical. I see it in other traded collectables too, and as a former card and music collector, I learned the difference between what "the market supports" versus grabbing the market by the yarboles as a "power seller". Commodity investment (oil/real estate) is entirely incomparable my friend.

Because it is a luxury item and not a necessity, I don't find it unethical.
    I also
    My ire on greed and unethical practices is reserved for healthcare, prison, food and military industrial complexes.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    **busily Googles "yarbole"** Gets no answer...assumes it's something by which most people would not wish to be grabbed.

**busily Googles "racketeering"** Gets this:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/racketeering.asp

Note the sentence -- Racketeers offer a deceitful service to fix a problem that otherwise wouldn't exist.
    But where are you going to get that Adidas Original Cologne from or Ted Lapidus PH from?
    Maybe if you join every FB vintage group, fragrantica etc. and become involved, you can have access to some of these long discontinued fragrances.
    Or, if you don't have time or want the hassle, just pay these greedy (and enterprising) eBay power sellers. Greed is the motivator for them to source the item that most of us can't.

I also
    My ire on greed and unethical practices is reserved for healthcare, prison, food and military industrial complexes.
    I think Shycat understands what I'm getting at more than you do, by applying the term "racketeering" to the scenario of vacuuming up a finite product with a lot of buying power to control it's resale and selling point (let's step this beyond fragrances since you can't get past "luxury goods", no offense). That, regardless of necessity or luxury of the product offered, is creating a problem so as to have the means to solve said problem at an extreme cost, and is therefore a form of racketeering.

Furthermore, throwing a bigger issue in my face like heathcare or the private-interest puppetry of the government (i.e. military industrial complex) is not going to invalidate my argument because once again, greed is greed on any level of application. In for a penny, in for a pound. I don't care if it's a schoolyard bully controlling gumball distribution. Still wrong. Not saying every seller on eBay does this either, never said eBay itself was a bad place to shop. My original argument was against the guys like Marand75 mentioned.

You can agree to disagree all you want, but I don't see you buying $500 bottles of Polo so you must not be too keen with these sellers yourself. Having insider tracks or better alternatives is not equal to condoning them either.

Blog Entries

I also
    Not mine. Opportunity and scale are details. It's the personality disorder that gripes me--a willingness to manipulate the market and take advantage, to create the problem and sell the fix to it. That's what gripes me. That what makes it illegal and unethical.

It's not less unethical because you find it personally convenient. I feel sure that many people find it convenient to allow large swaths of humanity to starve or live in proxy war zones.

In any case, healthcare and food are not the same type of problem at all. A lack of charity is heartbreaking, but no one in healthcare is out breaking people's legs to make money on casts. Farmers aren't out spraying Round-Up on home gardens so they can jack up the price of their sweet potatoes.

You got me on prisons and military industrial complexes. Cuz, yeah. Bad and bad.

ETA: Ha! I posted this before I knew you posted ahead of me, ZC.

Edited again to add: What's a yarbole?
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it.

Damn straight!

Basenotes Plus

I bought some vintage Mitsouko from him with good success. Also, I offered him a lower price and he took it.