Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Cool The Bogart Joint: Officially Un-Official House of Jacques Bogart Thread

Bogart is a very underrated house which has been creating fragrances for men since 1975, using the phrase "Je ne crée que pour l'homme" (I create only for men) as their slogan. Several of their creations get talked about here on Basenotes both new and old. Vintage guys always bring up Bogart Eau de Toilette Pour Homme/Signature (1975) or One Man Show (1980), with collectors of discontinued scents also often singing praise to items like De Viris (1982) or Furyo (1988), and even guys focused on more modern creations have a Bogart or two on mind, like Bogart Pour Homme (2004), or Silver Scent (2006).

Yet, there are so many more Bogart scents that go under the radar, or just plain untried. This came to my attention when a fellow Basenoter asked me about Arabian Nights (2010) and Club 75 (2016) because of a recent review about One Man Show Oud Edition (2014), and I hadn't heard of either! This house has also been making its masculines at powerhouse strength like the 80's never ended, which I find fascinating and amusingly out-of-step almost to the point of feeling intentionally contrarian. I mean come on, Bogart feels like a house dedicated to the stereotypically ostentatious "cologne guy", popped collars and all.

I admit, they are also on the value end of the scent spectrum so like Coty, Avon, Lomani, Claiborne, and others that on average stay under the $30 mark, the "stitching" can be a little more obvious on their wares, but I have yet to hear anyone deride the house as "cheap" (unlike some of the others), so I guess they're doing something right! Anyone have Bogart thoughts or experiences they want to share? Anything about their more-obscure creations that you feel merits attention (current or discontinued)?

They've obviously had a huge influence on Balenciaga and Ted Lapidus (the latter of the two for whom they still make fragrances), as many of the past (and current for Lapidus) male-aimed creations from those houses also carry the potent "Bogart swagger". Also, any questions about Bogart fragrances for which answers can't be gleaned from the directory should be placed here. I just think having a tractable thread on this house is a good idea overall.

CHEERS!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Skin Bracer by Mennen

Default Re: The Bogart Joint: Officially Un-Official House of Jacques Bogart Thread

I'll definitely check back into this thread when I have more time as I feel it might be my favorite in a while.

My first Bogart was silver scent intense and it was so different than anything I've had before. The mixture of perceived to Grape, musk, and florals were a revelation. It was also the first scent I owned in my journey that I could consider beast mode. Just wore it yesterday, as a matter of fact. It rides very well under the shirt for a very long time. 8-10 hours.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Bogart Joint: Officially Un-Official House of Jacques Bogart Thread

I dipped my toes in the water with Bogart Signature and loved it. Also thinking about OMS Oud Edition and Riviera Nights. Arabian Nights sounds good to.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juice_is_loose View Post
    I'll definitely check back into this thread when I have more time as I feel it might be my favorite in a while.

My first Bogart was silver scent intense and it was so different than anything I've had before. The mixture of perceived to Grape, musk, and florals were a revelation. It was also the first scent I owned in my journey that I could consider beast mode. Just wore it yesterday, as a matter of fact. It rides very well under the shirt for a very long time. 8-10 hours.

Silver Scent is on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    I dipped my toes in the water with Bogart Signature and loved it. Also thinking about OMS Oud Edition and Riviera Nights. Arabian Nights sounds good to.
    OMS Oud Edition is a synth oud bomb. It's not as sharp, dry, or medicinal than some because it has a "Tabaromy" leather similar to Signature in it, plus some DNA to the original OMS (which was a castoreum bomb). Just saying be careful, it is unapologetic about what it is (but definitely not the strongest synth oud note, Montale/Mancera keeps that trophy).

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Like the house a lot and happen to own 25 Jacques Bogart mens fragrances from past and present.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Like the house a lot and happen to own 25 Jacques Bogart mens fragrances from past and present.
    Is Club 75 one of them? Thoughts on it?

What a coincidence.....just got my first Bogart (Signature) yesterday.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

As a teenager and growing up I had some typical eighties fragrances. Stuff like Drakkar, Pierre Cardin, Canoe and the like. I continue to use these exclusively until a couple years ago.

As I stated earlier, my first Bogart was silver scent intense. While that was new and exciting to me, nothing could prepare me for my next purchase... One Man Show. Immediately upon spraying, I thought I had made a mistake. I've never been slapped in the face with such green soapiness, and admittedly, my first thought was of those little Grandma soaps.

I resisted the urge to scrub it off and let it ride. After about an hour or two my near disgust turned to curiosity, and an hour after that I was glued to my wrist, sniffing for the remainder of the fragrances long duration.

Not even Sung can compare with the green blast of One Man Show. However there is something spicy leathery and incense lurking beneath.

One man show is a scent made for flannel shirts, crunching pine needles beneath your boots, and breathing in fresh, cold air.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Is Club 75 one of them? Thoughts on it?
    Yes - a very nice spicy cinnamon apple with a warm woody dry down.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    What a coincidence.....just got my first Bogart (Signature) yesterday.
    It's such a lovely herbal leather, and one of the quieter Bogarts (translation: normal)

As a teenager and growing up I had some typical eighties fragrances. Stuff like Drakkar, Pierre Cardin, Canoe and the like. I continue to use these exclusively until a couple years ago.

As I stated earlier, my first Bogart was silver scent intense. While that was new and exciting to me, nothing could prepare me for my next purchase... One Man Show. Immediately upon spraying, I thought I had made a mistake. I've never been slapped in the face with such green soapiness, and admittedly, my first thought was of those little Grandma soaps.

I resisted the urge to scrub it off and let it ride. After about an hour or two my near disgust turned to curiosity, and an hour after that I was glued to my wrist, sniffing for the remainder of the fragrances long duration.

Not even Sung can compare with the green blast of One Man Show. However there is something spicy leathery and incense lurking beneath.

One man show is a scent made for flannel shirts, crunching pine needles beneath your boots, and breathing in fresh, cold air.

One Man Show is from 1980, so it fits in with your past loves.

Yes - a very nice spicy cinnamon apple with a warm woody dry down.
    You sold me at "cinnamon apple".

I like OMS Gold Edition and Bogart Pour Homme is nice, from a distance.

I also have Silver Scent Deep, blindly bought. While its top end features the noted creamy sweet grape essence, its dry down goes something wretched. I've been too shy to try again; has anyone else experienced this in the dry down with Silver Scent (Deep or others)?
    Currently wearing: Roadster Sport by Cartier

Own and love Bogart, One Man Show, Bogart pour Homme and Furyo

The Bogart story here:

http://www.groupe-bogart.com/en/the-...our-story.html
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 30th November 2018 at 05:03 AM.

I have a bottle of Jacques Bogart Pour Homme (2004): love the scent, love the performance, but hardly wear it. Can't help but think I have better patchouli frags. But I wouldn't mind having a sniff of their other frags.

This house has also been making its masculines at powerhouse strength like the 80's never ended, which I find fascinating and amusingly out-of-step almost to the point of feeling intentionally contrarian.
    Do they have any that don't perform at powerhouse strength?

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    I like OMS Gold Edition and Bogart Pour Homme is nice, from a distance.

I also have Silver Scent Deep, blindly bought. While its top end features the noted creamy sweet grape essence, its dry down goes something wretched. I've been too shy to try again; has anyone else experienced this in the dry down with Silver Scent (Deep or others)?
    I have. I blind bought it and despite the impressive opening, in the end I didn't really like it, because the general feel it gave me was something akin to a deodorant.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I think the only one I have from Bogart is Eau Fresh. I think I got this around 2010. It was a cheapie off Amazon, and the reviews on BN indicated it was decent, so I figured why not?

One thing with the name. Anyone expecting that this a light and refreshing frag will be disappointed. Fresh here definitely does not mean light.

Starts off very green and soapy, but doesn't stay that way. Develops into a heavier than you might expect fougere, a la Xeryus in the middle (but not as heavy as say Lapidus PH) as it dries down with a prominent sandalwood base. Once it gets into the middle it's pretty dry, I don't think I detected a prominent violet leaf or galbanum in there to wetten it up, green-wise. (Though chances are they are in there, I haven't checked the note listing, just going on memory.) The green notes always linger. Good for almost any occasion but use a light trigger finger.

Performance is excellent, I get all day out of this one. Not sure about silage.

I rather like it.

I've noticed that prices are jumping recently on Amazon for Bogart frags but that might just be a function of exploiting Christmas pricing.

I might want to try the following from Bogart: the original Bogart, City Tower (I like incense and might put my toe in something with Oud - I only have my original M7 from "back in the day"), and Bogart PH.
    Last edited by MisterK; 29th November 2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Additional blather
    In rotation: YSL PH HC, Bogart Citytower, Fahrenheit, Paco Rabanne PH, Escada Magnetism for Men, Halston 1-12
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

14791_img-1698-jacques_bogart-furyo_eau_de_toilette_720.jpg

Furyo is one of those rare fragrances I'd consider giving a 5-star rating to. It's really that good.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Vibrant Leather by Zara

Jacques Bogart - Bogart is on my top shelf.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Owning quite a few from this house and having tested even more (while planning to expand the Bogart lineup with further purchases as well) so far had the best experiences with One Man Show, Furyo, Force Majeure, Riviera Nights, Bogart pour Homme, Bogart Signature, One Man Show Gold Edition, in no particular order while also being able to relate about the generally very good opinion about the fragrances by Lapidus and, if it is possible to add another fragrances house owned and retailed by the same parent company, also Chevignon - getting also very good performance from either of the ones mentioned

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I totally forgot about Chevignon. They get even less press than Bogart itself.

Great (and long overdue) thread on the fantastic house of Bogart! Count me in as a big fan. I have One Man Show (vintage, recent, aftershave & deodorant), plus the Gold and Ruby Editions, Witness, Arabian Nights, Signature & Pour Homme along with samples of OMS Oud Edition and Silver Scent Original, Intense, Deep and Pure. I also had full bottles of Force Majeur and Furyo but never wore them so sold them on for some other lucky person to enjoy...!

Would love to find OMS Emerald Edition - anyone got this (hednic sir?). Would also love a full bottle of Silver Scent Intense at some point as I LOVE the grape smell. Cheers Mr Crusader...!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Great (and long overdue) thread on the fantastic house of Bogart! Count me in as a big fan. I have One Man Show (vintage, recent, aftershave & deodorant), plus the Gold and Ruby Editions, Witness, Arabian Nights, Signature & Pour Homme along with samples of OMS Oud Edition and Silver Scent Original, Intense, Deep and Pure. I also had full bottles of Force Majeur and Furyo but never wore them so sold them on for some other lucky person to enjoy...!

Would love to find OMS Emerald Edition - anyone got this (hednic sir?). Would also love a full bottle of Silver Scent Intense at some point as I LOVE the grape smell. Cheers Mr Crusader...!
    Sounds like you have a leg up on us. Wasn't aware of an Emerald Edition OMS

Would love to find OMS Emerald Edition - anyone got this (hednic sir?).
    I actually do have it. Especially like the aromatic, resinous opening.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

We will Witness the One Man Show in Club 75 at the City Tower, and the Furyo on display will have a Force Majeure worthy of a Signature.

Also neither Fragrantica nor Basenotes show OMS Emerald

Nice thread.
    Unfortunately not a single spray of any Jacques Bogart perfume has ever reached my nostrils so this will be a brief and fairly pointless visit.
    I'll just leave this here for the "ambience" smiley:

Someone on Fragrantica once described One Man Show: Oud Edition as the smell of a Church once the incense and candles have burned out.

Got stuck with me and I have to agree. I have shamefully stretched out a t-shirt neck or two, sniffing under my shirt throughout the day.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Democritus View Post
    Nice thread.
    Unfortunately not a single spray of any Jacques Bogart perfume has ever reached my nostrils so this will be a brief and fairly pointless visit.
    I'll just leave this here for the "ambience"
    Awwww you really should remedy that. There are a lot of good Bogarts out there you should at least see about sampling.

Someone on Fragrantica once described One Man Show: Oud Edition as the smell of a Church once the incense and candles have burned out.

Got stuck with me and I have to agree. I have shamefully stretched out a t-shirt neck or two, sniffing under my shirt throughout the day.

It's one of the better synthetic ouds IMO

I actually do have it. Especially like the aromatic, resinous opening.
    Thanks for the reply - glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    We will Witness the One Man Show in Club 75 at the City Tower, and the Furyo on display will have a Force Majeure worthy of a Signature.

Also neither Fragrantica nor Basenotes show OMS Emerald

One Man Show Emerald is listed on Fragrantica and there's a feature from when it was launched too.

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...ion-46964.html

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/A-P...art-10064.html

Just wish I could find it for sale - it's nowhere to be found in the UK at least,

Thanks for the reply - glad you like it!

One Man Show Emerald is listed on Fragrantica and there's a feature from when it was launched too.

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...ion-46964.html

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/A-P...art-10064.html

Just wish I could find it for sale - it's nowhere to be found in the UK at least,
    How about this at £10.95 ?
    https://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/ja...l-0026909.html
    " Oops, just noticed you were referring to Emerald Edition....

Is this Emerald Edition brick and mortar-only at the moment?

Odd that I can't find it for sale either. (US)

Hi all,

I got to agree with Scarce. I too purchased (from a very nice BN member) a bottle of classic FURYO. LOVE it! Embrace the FUNK!

SixCats!