Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 43
  1. #1

    Question Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    So I've owned Bleu EdT for several years, and I've been on the fence for a few weeks now about whether to swap it out for the Parfum. I've tested the Parfum a few times, but I still can't seem to make up my mind.

    I love the zingy freshness of the original. What I don't like is that it's quite strong and loud, which limits the scenarios in my life that I feel comfortable wearing it in. I also think the drydown is a tad loaded with synthetic woody amber, which can make it feel a bit abrasive. Having said that, when used properly, the EdT can still smell phenomenal, and everybody likes it. It's not something I'd part with easily.

    The EdP I never quite clicked with. It transplanted an oriental bottom half to the EdT, which made it more muddled, powdery and sweet to me. So I'll just move along.

    I really like aspects of the Parfum. In particular, the mid notes of lavender and geranium are a great replacement for the jasmine in the EdT. They give a cooling contrast to the woods, and a classic Chanel touch. It sort of feels like an Exclusif Bleu. The woody base also feels more natural and pleasant, with the synthetic woody ambers turned right down. But the top is missing some of the EdT fun. I do really like the bright ginger/nutmeg/grapefruit opening of the original, as well as its general airy feel. The Parfum has a simpler lemony musk that I also detect in Dior Homme Cologne.

    So that's kind of where I'm at. I love that the Parfum has been hushed down which means I feel comfortable wearing it in more situations, and I love the floral additions of lavender and geranium, which take some of the brashness of Bleu and give it more maturity and sophistication. But I also miss some of that liveliness in the EdT that characterised Bleu in the first place.

    I've looked through the launch threads for some of your first impressions. But if any of you have owned or used the Parfum for a while, and ideally also own or like the EdT, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how you feel about them after having lived with them a few months. Do you feel the Parfum or the EdT is the quintessential version? Also, which version does your significant other or family like best on you? Anyway, hearing your thoughts might help me make up my own mind.

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    267,815

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    I think I prefer the Parfum to the other two although own and like them all.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,472

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Prefer the EDT was not very impressed with the Parfum.

  4. #4
    Dependent Shiny Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,441

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    I've got the EDT and Parfum. The EDT is a great versatile frag for me, and the Parfum is a solid variation on the theme, but it's spendy so if you don't love the Parfum, you might be better served dropping that play dough on something you really like. Get a few samples, and the answer will become more clear to you. For me, it's worth owning both.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

  5. #5

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Prefer the EDT these days but lost my love for it. Still own it tho
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Own the EDT, tested the EDP, own the Parfum. The Parfum has become my "dumb reach"... that's quite an accomplishment.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

  7. #7
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    31,645

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Parfum didn't change my view of Bleu, never was impressed with the edt.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  8. #8

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Parfum is easily the best of the 3, no question about it.

    Unfortunately it still has that generic scratchy synthetic wood base. It’s a shame really. Had Chanel told the bean counters to go kick rocks and actually used high quality Cedar & Sandalwood, this fragrance would be outstanding.
    But like most designer frags these days, it falls apart in the basenotes.
    I can only imagine how good it would be if it used real sandalwood, with maybe a hint of Omani incense and a touch of Ambergris for good measure. *drool*

    Anywho- Regardless of what I think of it, it’s most certainly the best version of Bleu De Chanel.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    love the parfum version but wish i never sold my 2010 edt

  10. #10
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,472

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Quote Originally Posted by skism View Post
    love the parfum version but wish i never sold my 2010 edt
    I have a 2018 batch of EDT that smells and performs beautifully, never seen any reformulation damage done to it imo. Granted I spray on clothing 4-5 sprays, wife said the car reeked of it when she got in after I was sitting in it awhile at the end of the work day.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    I like EDT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    Unfortunately it still has that generic scratchy synthetic wood base.
    That's exactly what I don't like about it.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  12. #12

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Own the EDP, not keen on the EDT. I see so little difference between Parfum and EDP that owning both is pointless and when my EDP is finished I'll buy another as the additional expense of the Parfum isn't worth it given the closeness of the two.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    41,166

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    I prefer the EDT
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  14. #14

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Although not having owned this fragrance yet, thus cannot say what it means to regularly use it a few consecutive months, can easily imagine that it is a fairly inoffensive and still classy Chanel choice for everyday wear, smelling as good quality as expected from the house of Chanel without overwhelming, challenging or giving up too much on its everyday versatility
    Currently wearing: Santos by Cartier

  15. #15

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    The original formula EDT release is still my favorite version as it smells so bright and cheerful, if a little brittle if you overdo it. The EDP is still wack and the Parfum is the best choice of whats currently available on the market as it wears wonderfully and smells good.

    I'd be up for a higher end Turbo Remix II Ultra Super Edition though that had a sexier base for sure as the structure of the scent has a lot of potential for a retooling especially if they'd "borrow" the cedar and sandalwood stylings of Royal Oud and spend a bit more money on the components but then I think there are a few Chanels that could similarly benefit as well.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    I like the EdT best, with the EdP coming in a close second. I grab a quick spray of the Parfum at the mall now and then, and so far it’s not really clicking with me. Shame, too. I had high hopes for it, but as others have noted, the screechy wood base wrecks it.

    Looking forward to seeing what Chanel does with the inevitable sport version. Here’s to hoping they don’t load it up with the ubiquitous grapefruit scent that must be on sale super cheap at Molecule Mart. I think they’re having a special on pink peppercorn there, too. That’s two aisles over from where they’re apparently selling 55-gallon drums of Iso E Super for a penny. Time for the chemists to devise something new in the name of “modern” and “fresh.”

  17. #17
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,472

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Wasn’t 2020 the rumored date for a completely new men’s CHANEL fragrance, hoping it’s something solid can always use another worthy CHANEL.

  18. #18
    Super Member oudaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    218

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    I agree with Hednic and prefer the Parfum version, they are all good though.

    I actually emailed Chanel regarding the Sandalwood used in the Parfum and they said that it contains real sandalwood from New Caledonia.
    Currently wearing: Oud Maximus by Bortnikoff

  19. #19
    Taking a break

    Norstrøm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    5,476

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    I agree with Hednic and prefer the Parfum version, they are all good though.

    I actually emailed Chanel regarding the Sandalwood used in the Parfum and they said that it contains real sandalwood from New Caledonia.
    This does not surprise me, from what I gather, Chanel uses a lot of quality naturals, and I think it shows in their fragrances.
    Could also explain the lack of cheap Chanels at the discounters, in addition to their tight distribution control due to brand protection.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

    I could not C# so I got a byte from the Python

  20. #20

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    I actually emailed Chanel regarding the Sandalwood used in the Parfum and they said that it contains real sandalwood from New Caledonia.
    Yes and they employ staff to stand under Sacra trees that have been slashed and are being 'bled' , to collect the frankincense resins that they use in Bleu

  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus
    Scarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,842

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Yes and they employ staff to stand under Sacra trees that have been slashed and are being 'bled' , to collect the frankincense resins that they use in Bleu
    That is the claim, and it is possible. Australian sandalwood is showing up more, as the synthetic versions still leave much to be desired and probably always will. Indian sandalwood seems doomed for extinction, while the lesser quality Australian is increasing exponentially.
    Most worn:

    Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella


  22. #22
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Land of the Chypre
    Posts
    12,189

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Quote Originally Posted by TrimmTrabb View Post
    So I've owned Bleu EdT for several years, and I've been on the fence for a few weeks now about whether to swap it out for the Parfum. I've tested the Parfum a few times, but I still can't seem to make up my mind.

    I love the zingy freshness of the original. What I don't like is that it's quite strong and loud, which limits the scenarios in my life that I feel comfortable wearing it in. I also think the drydown is a tad loaded with synthetic woody amber, which can make it feel a bit abrasive. Having said that, when used properly, the EdT can still smell phenomenal, and everybody likes it. It's not something I'd part with easily.

    The EdP I never quite clicked with. It transplanted an oriental bottom half to the EdT, which made it more muddled, powdery and sweet to me. So I'll just move along.

    I really like aspects of the Parfum. In particular, the mid notes of lavender and geranium are a great replacement for the jasmine in the EdT. They give a cooling contrast to the woods, and a classic Chanel touch. It sort of feels like an Exclusif Bleu. The woody base also feels more natural and pleasant, with the synthetic woody ambers turned right down. But the top is missing some of the EdT fun. I do really like the bright ginger/nutmeg/grapefruit opening of the original, as well as its general airy feel. The Parfum has a simpler lemony musk that I also detect in Dior Homme Cologne.

    So that's kind of where I'm at. I love that the Parfum has been hushed down which means I feel comfortable wearing it in more situations, and I love the floral additions of lavender and geranium, which take some of the brashness of Bleu and give it more maturity and sophistication. But I also miss some of that liveliness in the EdT that characterised Bleu in the first place.

    I've looked through the launch threads for some of your first impressions. But if any of you have owned or used the Parfum for a while, and ideally also own or like the EdT, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how you feel about them after having lived with them a few months. Do you feel the Parfum or the EdT is the quintessential version? Also, which version does your significant other or family like best on you? Anyway, hearing your thoughts might help me make up my own mind.
    OP, I've read through your post and can only draw the conclusion that:

    - You are best off sticking to the EdT

    or

    - Getting the Parfum in addition to the EdT, but not replacing the EdT with it.

    The Parfum is certainly woodier and the base is wonderful and comes out more given the tonka bean. The EdT is fresher as you point out and it sounds like you like that aspect of it. If you never got along with the EdP, you should rule it out and forget about it.

    I have only ever owned (and love) the Parfum as I never liked the EdT or the EdP - I found them both too screetchy and rough/sharp around the edges. I got complimented on the Parfum a few months after buying it (not that I am after compliments these days) by a colleague who is also into fragrances, so it definitely projects more.

    I would say the EdT is great for summer / warmer weather, but the Parfum is going to shine all year round and especially in cooler weather. Make of that what you will.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  23. #23
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Land of the Chypre
    Posts
    12,189

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    I agree with Hednic and prefer the Parfum version, they are all good though.

    I actually emailed Chanel regarding the Sandalwood used in the Parfum and they said that it contains real sandalwood from New Caledonia.
    I would only believe this if it came from an independent source (i.e. not Chanel) and that they'd sworn to tell the truth on a mountain of Bibles.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  24. #24
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Land of the Chypre
    Posts
    12,189

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Quote Originally Posted by tefg View Post
    Own the EDP, not keen on the EDT. I see so little difference between Parfum and EDP that owning both is pointless and when my EDP is finished I'll buy another as the additional expense of the Parfum isn't worth it given the closeness of the two.
    Yikes! I totally saw the opposite. EdP to Parfum was very different to my nose. Parfum was much woodier with plenty of tonka notes in the base especially.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  25. #25
    Basenotes Plus
    Scarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,842

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I would only believe this if it came from an independent source (i.e. not Chanel) and that they'd sworn to tell the truth on a mountain of Bibles.
    Australian costs about a 1/10 as much as Indian/Indonesian, etc. And has a far lower percentage of oil per kg in the wood. I'm no expert on the economics of using real sandalwood extract though, but it sounds conceivable.
    Most worn:

    Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella


  26. #26
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Land of the Chypre
    Posts
    12,189

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Australian costs about a 1/10 as much as Indian/Indonesian, etc. And has a far lower percentage of oil per kg in the wood. I'm no expert on the economics of using real sandalwood extract though, but it sounds conceivable.
    Honestly I don't think it boils down to the financials.

    BdC has always been a synthetic scent to my nose:

    I got a lot of dihydromyrcenol in the EdT of 2010 which has since been notably toned down (thankfully!).
    There is a huge amount of ISO E Super (cedarwood in their marketing blurb).
    The Parfum has chunks of coumarin in it which gives it its 'woody' base.

    Therefore I think the sandalwood in it is likely to be santalum album. If it were the real stuff I wouldn't be able to smell it as I get anosmic to it very quickly.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  27. #27

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    The Parfum version is my favorite of the 3, although I have to admit by perhaps the smallest of margins over the EDP. On a given day, I might actually swing back toward picking the EDP. I owned both and on multiple occasions did side-by-side comparisons. The differences, outside of the first 5 minutes or so, were minimal to my nose. The EDP retains a bit more of the freshness and finishes with a more prominent amber, while the Parfum transitions more quickly into a deeper, smoother scent with a more prominent sandalwood replacing the amber of the EDP. Both have a fair amount of incense, however I seemed to find that with the EDP it jumps off the skin more and stays a little more subdued with the Parfum.

    There are other subtle variations, particularly with up-close, side-by-side comparison, but in passing sillage, I think most would struggle to identify much difference. Both performed and lasted fairly similarly for me, with perhaps the EDP having marginally more projection off my skin. Ultimately I found them a bit too redundant to justify owning both and chose the Parfum for its beautiful sandalwood drydown and the fact that the incense remained a bit more subdued within the composition and on my skin. I still very much enjoy the EDP, however, and may pick up a travel spray or smaller bottle of it again in the future.

  28. #28
    Dependent onethinline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,377

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    The Parfum is my favorite version. It’s much richer and rounder, yet still retaining the friendly “fresh” vibe of the original EdT. However, it excises the scratchy synthetic woodsy aspect I never cared for in the EdT (though I still enjoy it, despite that element). I find the Parfum version very, well, perfume-y, in that it has a smooth, rounded, tonka-inflected, “I AM WEARING A FRAGRANCE” vibe to it, though I don’t mean this in a bad way. There’s a bit more citrus-mint in the beginning, but beyond that it strikes me as an entire accord all at once, like a dark blue sphere, rather than having the various stages of the EdT.
    Currently wearing: New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

  29. #29
    Zgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    5,758

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    EDT fan here. Sharp, zesty, elegant, free, casual and formal at the same time! EDP is more rounded and deep but I still prefer the EDT due to it's "don't care" vibe. Parfum is too deep, too powdery too introvert.

  30. #30
    Super Member oudaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    218

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

    Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Honestly I don't think it boils down to the financials.

    BdC has always been a synthetic scent to my nose:

    I got a lot of dihydromyrcenol in the EdT of 2010 which has since been notably toned down (thankfully!).
    There is a huge amount of ISO E Super (cedarwood in their marketing blurb).
    The Parfum has chunks of coumarin in it which gives it its 'woody' base.

    Therefore I think the sandalwood in it is likely to be santalum album. If it were the real stuff I wouldn't be able to smell it as I get anosmic to it very quickly.
    So they are lying? I asked them a very specific question about the nature of the sandalwood in the Parfum.
    Currently wearing: Oud Maximus by Bortnikoff




Similar Threads

  1. How do you rank Bleu de Chanel (EdT or EdP) as an "incense scent" ?
    By Bigsly in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12th May 2015, 10:21 PM
  2. Article: Chanel launch Eau de Parfum of Bleu de Chanel
    By Grant in forum Article Comments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th August 2014, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000