Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

I can definitely relate to the OP. I loved the EDT for the exact same reasons, and disliked the EDP for the same reasons as well. I had been considering a second bottle of the EDT for a while but opted for the Parfum version instead. I am glad I did, though I may still pick up that bottle of the EDT down the line. The Parfum version is much smoother and versatile than the original, a near perfect dumb reach imho. Granted, the EDT is a lot more interesting with the zingy opening and scratchy base, but the Parfum is the quintessential version to me. It’s much more refined and well put together. My wife also prefers the Parfum version, for what it’s worth.

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum: Now that you've lived with it a few months, how does it rank?

Appreciate everyone's thoughts so far.

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    So they are lying? I asked them a very specific question about the nature of the sandalwood in the Parfum.
    I can't see why you can't all be right? If Chanel says that Bleu contains real New Caledonian sandalwood (and they do indeed say this in the marketing), then let's assume that they're being truthful. At the same time, a fragrance sold in the mass quantities and price point of Bleu (not to mention the long-lasting nature of the sandalwood), probably can't be sustained using solely natural sandalwood? So I'm guessing there's a certain amount of sandalwood extract in each bottle, supported by things like Javanol. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Schmo View Post
    I can definitely relate to the OP. I loved the EDT for the exact same reasons, and disliked the EDP for the same reasons as well. I had been considering a second bottle of the EDT for a while but opted for the Parfum version instead. I am glad I did, though I may still pick up that bottle of the EDT down the line. The Parfum version is much smoother and versatile than the original, a near perfect dumb reach imho. Granted, the EDT is a lot more interesting with the zingy opening and scratchy base, but the Parfum is the quintessential version to me. It’s much more refined and well put together. My wife also prefers the Parfum version, for what it’s worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    OP, I've read through your post and can only draw the conclusion that:

- You are best off sticking to the EdT

or

- Getting the Parfum in addition to the EdT, but not replacing the EdT with it.
    Both great takes. Makes me think that perhaps the best way to go about it is to get a small bottle of the parfum, and also hold on to my EdT bottle for a while. Then if I decide I really want to keep both, at least I won't have a massive oversupply of the stuff.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

In 1980 we get Patou pour Homme.
    In 1981 we get Antaeus and Kouros.
    In 2018 we get Bleu de Chanel Parfum.

Just saying ....
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tefg View Post
    Own the EDP, not keen on the EDT. I see so little difference between Parfum and EDP that owning both is pointless and when my EDP is finished I'll buy another as the additional expense of the Parfum isn't worth it given the closeness of the two.
    This. EDP is the best IMHO by far. I enjoyed Parfum but it lacked longevity and, as you said, seemed redundant. Only one I didn't like was EDT because of the scratchy annoying note.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 4th December 2018 at 08:28 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Blog Entries

The Parfum has a clunky vibe which is why I give it a *-*-* rating : fruit purée, fougère, spiky woods.

I'm so glad this came up. I absolutely love Bleu de Chanel Parfum. It's definitely in my top two right now. I find it's super versatile, but yet really eloquent at the same time. Notes I get are dark, well-aged, almost sweet grapefruit (think the opening of Himalaya if that makes sense), followed by some dark geranium that brightens up as the scent progresses, [keeping the scent airy, clean, and slightly rosy throughout its life] then with a wonderful dose of some of the nicest mint, sandalwood and cedar I've ever smelt. The woods, to me, are like a natural forest, clean but uber manly simultaneously. The scent is both dark and sparkly at the same time. It seems to contradict itself but somehow seemingly smells wonderful and intact, well put together.

Images or impressions that come to mind: dark water, blueish-grey, hint of red (probably from the grapefruit and geranium), dark green, lipstick, slightly waxy, smooth, ocean, sea, warm, very salty, and ambergris.

In some respects it reminds me of Dior Sauvage; they both tap into the same vein in some respects but Bleu is obviously vastly superior in its construction, attractiveness, and sexiness. (I literally had a woman want to tear off my clothes because of how good it smelt). I've had people compliment me on Sauvage ["oh you smell nice" or "you smell good"] but not in the same forcefulness as BDC Parfum. People really like this stuff, which leads me to say that it does smell better from afar than up close. It still smells great in close distances, but it's true magic is in the open, wild air where it shines and magically performs.

I think it's a great scent and easy to wear. Four sprays is just right. You'll pump out nice silliage for at least 6-8 hours easily. People will smell this on you and it will feel very natural, almost as if the scent were an extension of yourself. It's that good. it's like wearing that perfectly tailored tuxedo or the best pair of dark kakis with a nice tucked in dress shirt with Crocket & Jones loafers. It just works really well in a lot of situations.

This is Mr.Smellin.Good and this is my Ted Talk!

It's good, but not as good as the EDP in my estimation. Just doesn't perform as well, and doesn't have enough differences from the EDP to justify the price point. The sandalwood adds a nice creaminess to the drydown, though. But just like most Chanel fragrances, the price is wayyy inflated relative to the juice.
    Currently wearing: African Leather by Memo

Banned

I'm underwhelmed by the parfum. This could just be fatigue from the line in general as I've owned a bottle of the edt and two bottles of the edp. I actually think I may go back to the edt as it's the brightest of the three and has the pronounced ginger accord in it.

Just thought I’d post an update, since I hate threads without an ending. I’ve decided to pass on the parfum and keep the EdT (for now) after a couple more testings.

I found the parfum to be an improvement on the EdT more on card than on skin. On a card, the geranium and lavender are very prominent, and as a whole the fragrance smells more elegant and subdued than the EdT, which is what I want. But on skin I don’t pick up on the florals that much, and the scratchy base isn’t toned down enough for me compared to the EdT to warrant the “upgrade”. I think I just really want this to be a softer, gentler fragrance which I guess is really not the point of Bleu to begin with. I still enjoy the citrusy EdT in the right environment, and my girlfriend loves it, so it’s staying put. Thanks everyone!

I bought the Parfum and tried it about ten times and I gave it away to a friend who loves it (I never give away frags) one that I just never warmed up to.

I think this fragrance had a lot of us looking forward to a big change and a unique twist on Bleu De Chanel. Being it failed at that has a lot of us upset, that and the performance issues a lot see. We all know that DHP is a nuke bomb so what gives here hehe, hopefully a completely new men’s fragrance is in the works for 2020 and is a worthy release we shall see.

Smells more synthetic to me compared to the EDP and the EDT. It's one of those few scents where I instantly recognized the usage of ISO E Super or some other derivative (e.g. Timbersilk). Also, considering I'm a huge grapefruit fan, killing off that note in the Parfum will always make me favor the other two versions.The longevity is very good though, at least from my observations.

I was gifted this by my other half, who hates perfumes and would like me to wear something “simple and manly”. I’d never tried it but didn’t have high hopes. Unfortunately it smells just as she would like me to smell... For the life of me I can’t understand why someone would willingly pay £100+ for a “luxury” take on synthetic citrus and synthetic woods, but clearly there is a market. The SA convinced my other half that if it was a gift for a connoisseur, only the Parfum would do, so rather than spend £50 on something that will sit on my shelf she paid £100. Oh well, next time I will drop some pre Xmas hints!

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Own the EDT, tested the EDP, own the Parfum. The Parfum has become my "dumb reach"... that's quite an accomplishment.
    100% agreement. This could be a real workhorse, daily driver. Glad I have a 3.4 OZ bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    I was gifted this by my other half, who hates perfumes and would like me to wear something “simple and manly”. I’d never tried it but didn’t have high hopes. Unfortunately it smells just as she would like me to smell... For the life of me I can’t understand why someone would willingly pay £100+ for a “luxury” take on synthetic citrus and synthetic woods, but clearly there is a market. The SA convinced my other half that if it was a gift for a connoisseur, only the Parfum would do, so rather than spend £50 on something that will sit on my shelf she paid £100. Oh well, next time I will drop some pre Xmas hints!
    It ranked so high that I had all but forgotten about it!! This "gifting" post just brought it back - I too was gifted this by a client many moons ago - can't remember it, must've finished the bottle. Lol nothing registered!!
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

Basenotes Junkie

Get both. It is not like these bottles are hundreds of dollars each. Pretty cheap relatively. Especially at those dept store friends and family events.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Basenotes Plus

I haven’t owned it very long, but it’s the only one I have that I can’t smell on myself 30 minutes after applying it. One spray to each side or the neck with some of it hitting my dress shirt collar. Love that initial spray though.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Bought it and have worn it quite a bit .... eventually a mistake!
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I love the parfum version, but it reawakened my love of the more versatile EDT, which my wife loves, so that gets picked more often. EDT is still my dumb reach!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I love the parfum version, but it reawakened my love of the more versatile EDT, which my wife loves, so that gets picked more often. EDT is still my dumb reach!
    I had a similar epiphany when I bought and worse the Parfum this time last year. It made me like the EdP more than I did, though I still dislike the EdT. That said, the Parfum stays.

I had a sample of the EDT and used it this weekend. I couldn't even smell it on me after I sprayed it? Maybe I just wasn't used to it? I was disappointed, it being a Chanel. Maybe the EDP would be stronger and more detectable?
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

This one sits closer to the skin at least in my experience. None of the Bleu fragrance really leap off an project on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I had a sample of the EDT and used it this weekend. I couldn't even smell it on me after I sprayed it? Maybe I just wasn't used to it? I was disappointed, it being a Chanel. Maybe the EDP would be stronger and more detectable?

The parfum is disappointing to me. I thought it would be an easy reach like the edt but I rarely go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    This one sits closer to the skin at least in my experience. None of the Bleu fragrance really leap off an project on me.
    Yeah, I like the scent but it doesn't jump out at me. I can barely detect it after the first sniff.

Try not wearing it for a while. It's quiet but I wouldn't say it's undetectable...I get all day longevity from this. I would say probably a case of olfactory fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Yeah, I like the scent but it doesn't jump out at me. I can barely detect it after the first sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Try not wearing it for a while. It's quiet but I wouldn't say it's undetectable...I get all day longevity from this. I would say probably a case of olfactory fatigue.
    Yeah, but I never wear it. I used a sample bottle I had laying around. It was my first wear, so sometimes the first wear isn't always the best impression. I'll have to try it again, but I was let down by the sample I used.