Code of Conduct

Default Auphorie Musc Oud Maharaja

Auphorie are teasing a new perfume (releasing December 7) called Musc Oud Maharaja:

https://auphorie.com/

Anyone try it yet? I ask because although the release is still a few days away, they were promising a free sample with orders above a certain value from their site like a week ago.

Trying not to get too excited about this one as they haven't disclosed pricing yet...

From their Facebook page;
    Our #SOTD is the upcoming MUSC OUD MAHARAJA -- A comfy yet luxury blend of authentic oud oils, rose otto, rose absolute, jasmine absolute, realistic vegan tonkin deer musk accord and ambergris accord. Irrestibly sumptuous! MUSC OUD MAHARAJA will be launched on December 7th, 2018. Only ONE batch is made, so this is going to be an extremely limited scent.

Looks like this will be gone in a flash.
    At worst, one is in motion; and at best,
    Reaching no absolute, in which to rest,
    One is always nearer by not keeping still.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Blog Entries

Default Re: Auphorie Musc Oud Maharaja

Quote Originally Posted by gimmegreen View Post
    Auphorie are teasing a new perfume (releasing December 7) called Musc Oud Maharaja:

Anyone try it yet? I ask because although the release is still a few days away, they were promising a free sample with orders above a certain value from their site like a week ago.

Trying not to get too excited about this one as they haven't disclosed pricing yet...

Our #SOTD is the upcoming MUSC OUD MAHARAJA -- A comfy yet luxury blend of authentic oud oils, rose otto, rose absolute, jasmine absolute, realistic vegan tonkin deer musk accord and ambergris accord. Irrestibly sumptuous! MUSC OUD MAHARAJA will be launched on December 7th, 2018. Only ONE batch is made, so this is going to be an extremely limited scent.

I ordered before that offer came up, but of course I'm hoping. My three bottle order isn't here yet.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it.

Basenotes Plus

Would love to try this one, but I'm doubting that I'll get the chance. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I ordered before that offer came up, but of course I'm hoping. My three bottle order isn't here yet.
    I'm hoping with you, Shycat. Do let us have your thoughts if by lucky chance you get a sample.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Would love to try this one, but I'm doubting that I'll get the chance. :-(
    Yup, I've got that sinking feeling, too...
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Sounds fabulous. But it seems I’ve already scratched my oud, deer musk and ambergris itch well and good with Areej Le Dores. Think I’ll pass. Partly due to overpriced shipping charges when Malaysia is just right next door.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Sounds fabulous. But it seems I’ve already scratched my oud, deer musk and ambergris itch well and good with Areej Le Dores. Think I’ll pass. Partly due to overpriced shipping charges when Malaysia is just right next door.
    What will be interesting for me is to smell their "vegan" musk and ambergris accords.

Blog Entries

I'm hoping with you, Shycat. Do let us have your thoughts if by lucky chance you get a sample.

It's in my hands--I'm fluffed for lunch in Chanel 22 and waiting on a working man. I can't risk anything stinky. Sniffing the cap, it's tart fruit, pink rose, soprano jasmine, sour sweat, dirty sock a la parmesan--almost a savory note, and a deep and sensual dark wood. The combo of tart and sour has me put off. There is a boozy, oily (but not petroleum oil!) vanillic quality with patchouli undertones and a bit of soft amber. Soft, but not powdery.

^^^written blind.

In 15 minute--the sour fades, the rose comes forward and darkens--red rose, the fragrance softens. John called, thank God he's running late. I should test his mettle from the get go and grab his wrist like mall spritz attacker of old. "Try this."

gg, of course you will get to try it. What kind of friend do you take me for? It must be potent--I didn't spray the cap, got all this from simply taking the cap off and sniffing cap and spritzer. I do believe cap sniffing is enough for me--not precisely the transparent feminine floral I tend to favor.

I have to say it's starting to lean more feminine now--not at complex as Mayura. The rose is dominating, the sense of fruit is gone and the tart is not so sharp, gone is the clearness of the jasmine--things are blurring up. Sourness is gone.

Gah! brb.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    It's in my hands--I'm fluffed for lunch in Chanel 22 and waiting on a working man. I can't risk anything stinky. Sniffing the cap, it's tart fruit, pink rose, soprano jasmine, sour sweat, dirty sock a la parmesan--almost a savory note, and a deep and sensual dark wood. The combo of tart and sour has me put off. There is a boozy, oily (but not petroleum oil!) vanillic quality with patchouli undertones and a bit of soft amber. Soft, but not powdery.

^^^written blind.
    Fascinating! I hope you'll give us your further impressions when you get a chance to wear it.

Thank you so much for these impressions Shycat - yup, fascinated, too. Seems like this is more about the rose than a regular oudypoody - doesn't surprise me as previous Auphorie perfumes which included had oud in the notes list didn't really deliver on that count.

(Hope the lunch went swimmingly.)
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Blog Entries

Thank you so much for these impressions Shycat - yup, fascinated, too. Seems like this is more about the rose than a regular oudypoody - doesn't surprise me as previous Auphorie perfumes which included had oud in the notes list didn't really deliver on that count.

(Hope the lunch went swimmingly.)
    I'm not educated on oud--you guys have been swimming in it for the years I was out of the pool. It does bring to mind Madhat Scents Rosa Resina sans spices...and sniffing them side by side they are very, very different so perhaps that's the oud speaking. All that little side trip did was cost me $67 bucks for Madhat's Aum Oud Extrait which promises to be "non-funky." Gimme that one, gg.

I'm not going to give this one a trip to the skin--too sour, and I don't wanna.

Lunch was restrained and very polite. I think he's under the impression that I'm nice. Pffft. I'll try to keep up the charade on Saturday for whatever he comes up with. For now, it's my bedtime.

Online today - 30 ml for $298 - I'll pass.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Basenotes Plus

Online today - 30 ml for $298 - I'll pass.
    Whoa--that's an insane price. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Whoa--that's an insane price. No thanks.
    I was thinking about a full bottle, but at that price I decided 5ml from strifeknot will work just fine.
    It might take them longer to sell out at this price.
    Last edited by thebeck; 8th December 2018 at 01:51 AM.

Basenotes Member

Since I'm living in Malaysia and can usually get their samples within like 2 days, I thought about getting a sample. However, except for Mayura which is amazing, each Auphorie offering I've tried so far has disappointed me. There's just something in their compositions that always rubs me the wrong way (often it's the orris note). Also figured I have already more then enough oud scents, so I pass on this one...

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    What will be interesting for me is to smell their "vegan" musk and ambergris accords.
    It basically just means synthetic musk and ambergris, or? Bit of a marketing blabla to not say "synthetic" , I thought... In Mayura the musk smelled great and very realistic tho!

Interesting! The website says half sold already. Must be a small batch. Notice no announcement of how many bottles made.

Updated 12/12 - "Low Stock"

Must be all blind buys because so far only Shycat has sampled.
    Last edited by thebeck; 12th December 2018 at 06:32 PM.

Just checking to see if anyone got there bottle and had a chance to sniff yet.

My samples arrived yesterday but as it was evening and I already had some perfume on I just tried a tiny spritz to the back of my forearm. My impression was that this is a solid musk - if you know Mayura then you know that Auphorie can do excellent non-animal musks. My main problem was that the 'honeyed and resinous' oud they promised seemed to merge right into the muskiness of the thing. Now I'm no connoisseur of real ouds (way beyond my pocket), but if I get something deep and richly woody, I'm happy. That wood intensity seemed to be missing here and as for the rose otto and absolutes, they also seemed subsumed in a more general floral musk. But this is only a first impression - I'm wondering what else it will reveal when I test it properly. There are enough beautiful, cuddly and warm musks out there that don't break the bank.

Alas a full-body wear will have to wait at least until tomorrow as I have to be in a room full of people in the evening, so don't want to smell like a too-friendly animal crossed with Mr-hormones.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'