Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - December 2018

l look forward to hearing your impressions of whatever you're sampling here this month, folks!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Baghari by Robert Piguet

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: Sample of the Day - December 2018

Creed Verveine Narcisse

A very rare and elusive Creed to find at the time of writing this review and I was very fortunate to discover a partial flacon of this scent. The notes breakdown for this scent is rather inconclusive as almost every notes breakdown that I’ve found had a couple notes that were different specifically at the base. I would consider this a green floral scent. The opening consisted of lemon verbena which has both a citrusy lemon and floral elements. The lemon soon fades giving way to a dry grassy note accompanied by narcissus in the heart. The narcissus florals lingered into the base accompanied by mossy notes what would likely be oakmoss. I would say the drydown of Vervine Narcisse is my favorite part of this Creed. Aside from oakmoss other notes that were mentioned in the base include ambergris, amber, sandalwood, and musk. I didn’t identify these notes in particular but if these were in fact there, my nose wasn’t able to pick them up. Moderate silage for the first 2 hours before staying closer to the skin. The longevity was decent, I got at least 6 hours. The best time to wear this would be during the spring however I can’t find a particular occasion that I would want to wear this scent. Despite saying this I consider this more of a comfort scent, a scent that I would wear when I’m in the right mood. Overall, I consider this a very wonderful green floral scent, it’s a little bit different to what I’m use to smelling of this genre but it’s still a great scent nonetheless. If I can find more Verveine Narcisse at a reasonable price, I wouldn’t hesitate to make a purchase. This is definitely up there with Vintage Tabarome, Angelique Encens, and Scent of Oger amongst other rare elusive Creeds that I enjoy.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Freed from BN Institution

Creed Bayrhum Vetiver

Despite its elusive mythical status it’s a rather simplistic scent and I was fortunate to discover a partial flacon of this Creed. The opening consisted of pepper spices and bay leaves. It was fairly potent at the opening. The bay leaves provided a sharp bitter herbal accord while the pepper spices reminded me of cloves. It reminds me of the holiday season specifically being in the presence of a xmas tree. Its the smell that I get from the oils given off by fresh pine needles from the xmas tree. Holiday candles particularly the ones that have a xmas tree scent do share a similar smell as well. The spicy herbal accord lasted a while about 2 hours before giving way to a dry earthy green vetiver note. The vetiver does have some resemblance to Chanel Sycomore and Guerlain Vetiver. The vetiver drydown is one of a comfort scent in my opinion, very soothing and relaxing. Bayrhum Vetiver is the most vetiver based scent that I have smelled from Creed. Neither Original Vetiver or Vetiver 48 share the intensity of this vetiver note. There’s not a particular occasion that this would be good for but its safe to say that its better suited for cooler weather. This would be one to consider, should an opportunity presents itself, if one enjoys vetiver based scents and/or obscure Creeds.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

Bruno Fazzolari’s Lampblack: picking up on a prominent ink note in this one which steers it to the darker side. Started off light with a citrus but that quickly dissipated.

rabid aroma explorer

Silver Cedar by Possets Perfume. Not in the directory. I mostly smell an old cedar chest accord with vanilla candle wax...
    "Anything is an art if you do it at the level of an art" ~~ Richard Avedon

Tested a few days ago a total of six, three feminine and three masculine new releases by Massimo Dutti in EDP strength, apparently crafted and released in collaboration with niche perfumers (at least according to news reports posted including here on BN, from various outer sources).
    Irrespective of their gender, their naming, their notes, all six somehow reflected the "golden mean" and turned out quite average, while not appallingly bad nor offensive, just the most predictable rendition of "non niche" like conformity, genericness, unimaginativeness, however also admittedly quite fresh, some even spicy or gourmand in a quite correctly rendered way.

Definitely not the best releases, not even by the standards of previous Massimo Dutti masculines tested in the past-having no recollection of nor awareness about feminine fragrances by the same house/brand- but luckily not the worst option either for someone looking trying to start out with niche or at least the more mainstream output of niche perfumers, likes the performance made possible by EDP strength (the performance being actually one of the few quite radical, noticeable advantages of this range) and wants to keep it largely simple and inexpensive.
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

Blog Entries

Mx. by Eris Parfums.

This opens with peppery incense & woods, quickly joined by the sweeter note of benzoin. lt's very soft, & as it dries down it becomes slightly smoky & powdery, with a salty, savoury note in the heart. l get no ginger, only the merest hint of castoreum, & five hours in it's barely there.

lsoESuperman's review is spot on: this is definitely unisex & pleasant, but it's nothing new, & the best that can be said is that it's inoffensive & subtle enough to be work-appropriate. The same accord has been done much better in fragrances like Labdanum 18 & Bois d'Armenie.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Bruno Fazzolari’s Vetiverissimo: if Lampblack is dark, then this one is light. This a very clean, fresh, easy-to-wear vetiver. I wonder what Luca Turin would think about this “benchmark” vetiver?. Very good quality. Benchmark vetiver for all lovers of this note.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Mx. by Eris Parfums.

This opens with peppery incense & woods, quickly joined by the sweeter note of benzoin. lt's very soft, & as it dries down it becomes slightly smoky & powdery, with a salty, savoury note in the heart. l get no ginger, only the merest hint of castoreum, & five hours in it's barely there.

lsoESuperman's review is spot on: this is definitely unisex & pleasant, but it's nothing new, & the best that can be said is that it's inoffensive & subtle enough to be work-appropriate. The same accord has been done much better in fragrances like Labdanum 18 & Bois d'Armenie.
    Couldn't/wouldn't have said it better myself!
    Currently wearing: Nuit de Nol by Caron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Couldn't/wouldn't have said it better myself!
    Thanks, Starblind!

Blog Entries

And the World is Yours by A Lab on Fire, created for Luckyscent by Dominique Ropion.

A gorgeous, opulent & very diffusive orange blossom scent, which smells immediately familiar to me. l cannot put my finger on why, until l remember reading that some reviewers find this to be in the same ball park as Alien, another of Ropion's creations. Yes, that's it, this is like Alien, but done with orange blossom instead of jasmine! Others have compared it to Seville a l'Aube (which l also own & love), but this is texturally different: it's more rounded, smooth & warm, without that fresh, almost sharp edge that Seville has. There is sweetness here as it dries down, provided by notes of honey, heliotrope & tonka, but it's not a heavy, syrupy sweetness as found in Lutens' Fleur d'Oranger. lnstead, the heart is beautifully balanced by neroli, which prevents the sweetness from overwhelming the orange blossom in its starring role. There's no further development as yet, but one spray of this extrait is still going fairly strong four hours in.

l have no regrets whatever on this blind buy; my only complaint is that the bottle comes without a cap, which makes me concerned that it may evaporate before l'm ready to use it up. l would have a hard time using something this special as an everyday fragrance.

rabid aroma explorer

My Lover's Lips by Possets Perfume. Not in the directory. Yuck. It's not good. Weird mix of apricot, vanilla, hawthorne, and moss. Truth? It smells like vomit.
    Last edited by HouseOfPhlegethon; 7th December 2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Anything is an art if you do it at the level of an art" ~~ Richard Avedon