Code of Conduct

Default Would appreciate advice from experienced blenders

Hi folks,

After coming up with some accords that I like (for mid- and top-notes; base notes I'll mix first, then add accords), I'm prepping to mix a frag tonight. I'm hoping to tell you what's in it, explain my goal, and ask for your advice re: percentages of base/mid/top.

The accords I have made are:

- citrus (heavy focus on orange)
    -aldehydic (only three aldehydes in this accord, all of which have some kind of chocolate/amber/citrus note)
    -a "smooth floral" accord (picture a semi-sweet blend of herby, lightly spicy ylang ylang with a hint of freesia)

I'm also planning on using a touch of lavender EO in the mid.

Basenotes will include a thick tobacco absolute (sub-question: I need to heat this up to work with it. Any advice there?); sandalwood, and touch of resin.

My question: if my aim is to create a shimmery, herby-spicy-floral opening that melds into a dry-yet-warm tobacco dry-down, what approximate percentages of base/mid/top would you recommend I tinker with first? I'm asking for a starting suggestion because, at the moment, my materials are very limited and won't be re-stocked for a couple of weeks.

In terms of grams, I currently have about 1.00 gram of each of those above accords to work with; plenty of materials for base notes so I'm not worried there as much.

Thank you for your time!
    Current favorites:
    Amouage - Epic Man
    Atelier Cologne - Rose Anonyme
    Bogue Profumo - MEM
    Bulgari - Blu Notte pour Homme
    Goldfield & Banks - Desert Rosewood
    Madhat Scents - Rosa Resin Extrait de Parfum
    Tauer - L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Tom Ford - Noir de Noir

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Would appreciate advice from experienced blenders

You could consider using Clary sage, instead of lavender.

I'd start with about 40% base notes.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by SubUmbra View Post
    Hi folks,

After coming up with some accords that I like (for mid- and top-notes; base notes I'll mix first, then add accords), I'm prepping to mix a frag tonight. I'm hoping to tell you what's in it, explain my goal, and ask for your advice re: percentages of base/mid/top.

The accords I have made are:

- citrus (heavy focus on orange)
    -aldehydic (only three aldehydes in this accord, all of which have some kind of chocolate/amber/citrus note)
    -a "smooth floral" accord (picture a semi-sweet blend of herby, lightly spicy ylang ylang with a hint of freesia)

I'm also planning on using a touch of lavender EO in the mid.

Basenotes will include a thick tobacco absolute (sub-question: I need to heat this up to work with it. Any advice there?); sandalwood, and touch of resin.

My question: if my aim is to create a shimmery, herby-spicy-floral opening that melds into a dry-yet-warm tobacco dry-down, what approximate percentages of base/mid/top would you recommend I tinker with first? I'm asking for a starting suggestion because, at the moment, my materials are very limited and won't be re-stocked for a couple of weeks.

In terms of grams, I currently have about 1.00 gram of each of those above accords to work with; plenty of materials for base notes so I'm not worried there as much.

Thank you for your time!
    To answer your tobacco absolute question, I dilute this to 10% which makes it much more workable. I gently heat it up then weigh out what I want to use, then add my alcohol or some other diluent.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    You could consider using Clary sage, instead of lavender.

I'd start with about 40% base notes.
    Thankfully, I do have some Clary Sage! Good thought, thank you!
    Current favorites:
    Amouage - Epic Man
    Bogue Profumo - MEM
    Tom Ford - Noir de Noir

Quote Originally Posted by bsouthers View Post
    To answer your tobacco absolute question, I dilute this to 10% which makes it much more workable. I gently heat it up then weigh out what I want to use, then add my alcohol or some other diluent.
    Awesome, thank you. How long do you typically wait after it has been diluted with alcohol for it to ... steep, as such?
    Current favorites:
    Amouage - Epic Man
    Bogue Profumo - MEM
    Tom Ford - Noir de Noir