Code of Conduct

Default Incense Materials

Hi everyone,

I've been using a handful of incense materials, and I wanted to get opinions on my impressions of the ones I've got, along with some ideas for blending w synthetics.

Naturals:
    Olibanum EO (boswellia carteri from CP) - bright, terpenic, woody, very diffusive, lightest of the materials, least tenacious
    Olibanum Resinoid (Firmenich) - rich, deep, sweeter/balsamic notes, least diffusive, very tenacious
    Olibanum Coeur (Ventos) - dry, woody, smokier than the others, tenacious
    Bois d'Encense (Robertet) - dry, more woody, terpenic, aromatic (cedar facets from codistillation), tenacious
    Hydrocarboresin - ambery, vanillic, woody, smoky, terpenic, rich, heavy

Synthetics:
    Velvetone (dimethyl alpha ionone) - light, transparent, woody, orris (have not tested long enough on it's own to see its "powdery" effect)
    Musk R1 - warm, powdery, exalting
    Aldehyde C12 MNA - diffusive, fizzy, provides lift to the heavier components (used around 0.1%)

Currently I'm using the first 4 naturals in a fragrance at % listed below, but I've thought about stripping them down one by one (J. Carles method) and doing a long term evaluation on determining the optimum ratio that I like. I've got:
    Bois d'Encens (R) 2.50%
    olibanum resinoid 4.50%
    Olibanum Coeur 4.00%
    olibanum EO 3.00%
    Velvetone at 5%,
    Musk R1 at 2%.
    (Also have a large slug of Iso E Super ~35%, Vertofix at 7.50%)

The goal is an incense note apparent in the top, with a long, spicy woody phase that isn't too heavy into the dry down. So far, it's a good start.

Curious if you agree/disagree w what I've said, and have anything else to offer about them. Also open to other material suggestions, like Olibanol (in my cart to order).

Default Re: Incense Materials

Boswellia Carterii CO2
    Elemi
    'Today I'm a star. What will I be tomorrow? A black hole?'
    — Woody Allen

seems you are good supplied with basenote-materials. my experience tells me that Bois d'Encens lasts even longer than the pure resin.
    for top note, i'd recommend to start building an accord with aldehyde c-9 and black pepper. very toppy, and very incensy. and go for ald c12 mna.

Quote Originally Posted by Godmu View Post
    Boswellia Carterii CO2
    Elemi
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will work on getting samples of these

Quote Originally Posted by pavomi View Post
    seems you are good supplied with basenote-materials. my experience tells me that Bois d'Encens lasts even longer than the pure resin.
    for top note, i'd recommend to start building an accord with aldehyde c-9 and black pepper. very toppy, and very incensy. and go for ald c12 mna.
    That's funny, I actually have C-9 and Black pepper EO in my top notes, I thought they would work well, glad it wasn't a bad assumption :-)

Black pepper has aroma chemicals (the main one beta-caryophyllene) in it that are similar to the ones in the oriental incense materials Acronychia pedunculate and Gurjun basalm.

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've been using a handful of incense materials, and I wanted to get opinions on my impressions of the ones I've got, along with some ideas for blending w synthetics.

Naturals:
    Olibanum EO (boswellia carteri from CP) - bright, terpenic, woody, very diffusive, lightest of the materials, least tenacious
    Olibanum Resinoid (Firmenich) - rich, deep, sweeter/balsamic notes, least diffusive, very tenacious
    Olibanum Coeur (Ventos) - dry, woody, smokier than the others, tenacious
    Bois d'Encense (Robertet) - dry, more woody, terpenic, aromatic (cedar facets from codistillation), tenacious
    Hydrocarboresin - ambery, vanillic, woody, smoky, terpenic, rich, heavy

Synthetics:
    Velvetone (dimethyl alpha ionone) - light, transparent, woody, orris (have not tested long enough on it's own to see its "powdery" effect)
    Musk R1 - warm, powdery, exalting
    Aldehyde C12 MNA - diffusive, fizzy, provides lift to the heavier components (used around 0.1%)

Currently I'm using the first 4 naturals in a fragrance at % listed below, but I've thought about stripping them down one by one (J. Carles method) and doing a long term evaluation on determining the optimum ratio that I like. I've got:
    Bois d'Encens (R) 2.50%
    olibanum resinoid 4.50%
    Olibanum Coeur 4.00%
    olibanum EO 3.00%
    Velvetone at 5%,
    Musk R1 at 2%.
    (Also have a large slug of Iso E Super ~35%, Vertofix at 7.50%)

The goal is an incense note apparent in the top, with a long, spicy woody phase that isn't too heavy into the dry down. So far, it's a good start.

Curious if you agree/disagree w what I've said, and have anything else to offer about them. Also open to other material suggestions, like Olibanol (in my cart to order).
    You are using several materials that I have used in a recent incense fragrance - Bois d encens (12%), olibanum resinoid (7%), olibanum coeur (4%), iso E Super (4%), vertofix (1.5%), musk R1 (1.3%), and aldehyde c12 MNA (0.04%, at 1% dilution). All work well together. I also used cedarwood terpenes, as it seems to blend well with the materials above, but I was going for a forest type of fragrance with incense built in, so using that would depend what you want your fragrance to end up like. I really like bois d encens a lot, but it’s not terribly strong when blended with other materials so personally that’s why I used more. Black pepper sounds like a good top note as well. Good luck!