Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Help Gifting A Fragrance, Please!

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    I came here originally with DHI on my lips before I read your first post. It's a compliment monster on me from all ages, not that it matters as such but it seems to have a better cross-generational appeal than DH from my own experience. DH may be the better scent to the connoisseur, but DHI is probably the better to your average Joe and isn't that what matters here? TdH EDT or parfum isn't a safe choice. The Prada is a sound choice for what he might use it for, irrespective of what opinions people on here might have.
    This.

DHI is a safer choice than DH.
    CURRENT FAVOURITES
    Rogue Perfumery Mousse Illuminee
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Creed Aventus
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Vintage)
    Chanel Egoiste
    Houbigant Fougere Royale
    Geo F Trumper Eucris EdP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I'd be very careful gifting TdH in any form, it's very hit or miss.

Have you considered Pure Havane or Pure Malt? They're both unique, and high quality, Winter themed, yet totally different than most stuff that's out. Nothing like La Nuit either. I can see why La Nuit would take him so long to use, it's not really a daily wearer if you ask me, it's more of a special occasions type of fragrances. Though the same could be said with the 2 I suggested too.

Being your bro's age, and of similar attributes, I think I could relate. I mostly hang around people my age and younger, so I get feedback on my frags all the time too. That's also partially why I woulnd't recommend TdH, as it has garnered some not so positive reactions.. I also think you could dice into the Guerlain I'deal line, most of them are really nice and are appropriate for his situation.

He said 33, not 60..
    I think Terre D'Hermes is a decent choice, probably one of the first that would come to my mind for the guy you described, along with Rive Gauche,PH and a few others.
    I wouldn't get anyone Pure Malt unless I wanted them to have an asthma attack.

Fragheads picking out fragrances for a non-frag enthusiast is akin to Michelin-star chefs cooking up fine cuisines for someone more at home with pizzas and burgers. IMO the average fragrance consumer is typically wowed by 2 things: (a) the latest hyped up release on the market, and/or (b) the perceived brand prestige. As good as Dior Homme is it's been out on the market for 10 years, not to mention reformulated. Terre d'Hermes is similarly 'long in the tooth'.

Based on this fundamental premise, I'd get him a Tom Ford for its 'urbane masculine' brand cache.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Cedrat Boise is the way to go, and it leaves the mainstream behind. Year around, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Fragheads picking out fragrances for a non-frag enthusiast is akin to Michelin-star chefs cooking up fine cuisines for someone more at home with pizzas and burgers. IMO the average fragrance consumer is typically wowed by 2 things: (a) the latest hyped up release on the market, and/or (b) the perceived brand prestige. As good as Dior Homme is it's been out on the market for 10 years, not to mention reformulated. Terre d'Hermes is similarly 'long in the tooth'.

Based on this fundamental premise, I'd get him a Tom Ford for its 'urbane masculine' brand cache.
    Good sense, and suggest Tom Ford Noir and Noir Extreme... The Extreme is not loud, just classy and lovely. I love them both.

If your hesistant, listen to Chuck, Cedrat Boise will satisfy everything
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post

True, VERY true. Especially for a business professional. Not to pass judgement or anything, just sort of the truth in most cases.

Though there has to be a Tom Ford fragrance that's versatile, and not pushing the boundaries. I feel most of the Private Blend line people either love or hate. I feel Grey Vetiver EDP is a win if you love vetiver. Tom Ford original or Extreme are both good choices, and wont break the bank spending 3 x as much or more on Tuscan Leather or Tobacco Vanille.
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephen Hawking

Final decision comes down to:

Tom Ford Noir Extreme or Cedrat Boise

I may get both, and let him decide which he likes better (and I’ll keep the other one, since I own neither but like them both). At the same time, for the sake of simplicity, I’d prefer to just get one.

Okay, let’s hear it. Your opinion please, between Noir Extreme and Cedrat Boise. Which do you think I should get?

Thank you!

P.S. On the one hand I'd really like to get both and let him use them both for a month and keep the one he likes most. However, from a gift-giving standpoint, is that tacky? Something tells me it is. Even though we have a cool, informal relationship, I'm not sure about that. Any etiquette advice would be appreciated as well!

They're both very good. I would say Tom Ford Noir Extreme, but only by a narrow margin.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

I'd choose the Mancera.

Cedrat Boise

Cedrat Boise

There's a lot of Cedrat Boise love in this thread. I'm surprised!

Still haven't decided though....

I'm currently selling: Hermes Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver. If interested, send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    There's a lot of Cedrat Boise love in this thread. I'm surprised!

Still haven't decided though....

Yes, you should have both. Cedrat Boise could be a touch sweet, and Noir Extreme the better choice. So smooth.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.

The decision has been made!

I've decided to gift my brother-in-law:

The only fragrance that rivals Aventus (in terms of Aventus-like fragrances), I was surprised by the overwhelming support this one had throughout this discussion. Many praised it, nobody knocked it, and somehow through this process it made it all the way to the end. I decided to go with Cedrat Boise over Tom Ford Noir Extreme due to its versatility and masculinity. My wife was insistent that a "sweet" fragrance was not appropriate for her brother, and this also helped sway things in the direction of CB and away from TFNE. I tried to think about which fragrance I would rather wear on a regular basis and the answer was Cedrat Boise.

Now I had been undecided as of yesterday but I also needed to place an order and have it delivered here quickly, so I ended up ordering both the Tom Ford and Mancera (whatever I can do to rationalize buying more perfume, right? ) I'm going to give him Cedrat Boise, but tell him if he likes the way the Tom Ford smells on me more than CB, I'll happily swap with him. Personally, I'd prefer CB, but I really want him to have the one he likes most.

Anyway, thanks for all the help! This was interesting for me; I ended up with two bottles I didn't even think about in the very beginning, and ended up nixing a few bottles I was sure would be among the final choices. Your comments and reasoning are appreciated. Thank you!

I'm currently selling: Hermes Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver. If interested, send me a PM.

so I ended up ordering both the Tom Ford and Mancera (whatever I can do to rationalize buying more perfume, right?
    You're welcome!

P.S. That phrase perfectly sums up a fraghead's mentality.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

The only fragrance that rivals Aventus (in terms of Aventus-like fragrances)...
    So you're saying you didn't give your BIL "THE" one???

Capture.jpg
    Currently wearing: Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    So you're saying you didn't give your BIL "THE" one???

Capture.jpg

No way. Not with what they’re charging for it these days!

I actually bought a sample of Cedrat Boisee thanks to this thread!
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephen Hawking

Congrats on all that! This really helps to discern this sort of thing. Funny, I felt Cedrat Boise just a touch sweet compared to Noir Extreme. Neither are dry as a bone. CB is a worthy alternative to Aventus, same grade class. All great.

Cedrat Boise is a very solid pick. Good work!

Final little update to this thread:

I gave my brother-in-law the bottle of Cedrat Boise yesterday and he loves it (I forgot how great it smells!). I didn't even mention the Tom Ford to him, which I'll now be keeping. Anyway, great choice guys, I think it's just right for him...he was thrilled with it.

Final little update to this thread:

I gave my brother-in-law the bottle of Cedrat Boise yesterday and he loves it (I forgot how great it smells!). I didn't even mention the Tom Ford to him, which I'll now be keeping. Anyway, great choice guys, I think it's just right for him...he was thrilled with it.
    Nothing better than giving someone a gift that's spot on. Congrats!!