Code of Conduct

Default Any thoughts on the Kerosene house?

Does anybody have any thoughts or insight into Kerosene fragrances (good, bad, ugly or indifferent)? Reviews are in fairly short supply. I saw a new release on another platform and tobacco was a note so I was immediately interested. I checked the website and am thinking about getting the full lineup sampler.

Default Re: Any thoughts on the Kerosene house?

I enjoy Copper Skies and I've also liked Broken Theories.

I am a fan. They probably have too many fragrances, like many niche houses.

Black Vines is probably the weirdest one, a bit like real kerosene meets black licorice.

Good house. I have a number and find them very enjoyable. I'm a fan of Copper Skies, Broken Theories, R'oud Elements, and Dirty Flower Factory. All that I have tried are very dense, heavy fragrances and lend themselves to cooler climates although I can do well with a light trigger finger in my air conditioned environments. All of mine have great longevity and sillage, if that is important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by LostboyR View Post
    Good house. I have a number and find them very enjoyable. I'm a fan of Copper Skies, Broken Theories, R'oud Elements, and Dirty Flower Factory. All that I have tried are very dense, heavy fragrances and lend themselves to cooler climates although I can do well with a light trigger finger in my air conditioned environments. All of mine have great longevity and sillage, if that is important to you.
    Thank you. I live in the northeast so heavier frags work just fine for me. Many of the note lists look great and the pricepoint looks excellent for 100ml bottles if they do perform well. Full lineup sampler ordered

Basenotes Plus

Big fan of this house, even the 'weird one', Black Vines. Decidedly non-mainstream but not unwearable either. And all of them seem to possess nuclear strength and longevity. Highly creative house worthy of at least sampling.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Blog Entries

l tried Dirty Flower Factory & Unforsaken, & found both very strong & long-lasting. The former is a big, bright rose with jasmine, the latter a bittersweet orange blossom with coconut. Recommended if you're not into subtlety in your fragrances!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by DEdestroyer77 View Post
    Does anybody have any thoughts or insight into Kerosene fragrances (good, bad, ugly or indifferent)?
    Personally not a fan. Tried a few of the earlier releases. Didn't think they were bad smelling. Just not for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

R'Oud Elements was bottle worthy for me. I sampled a few others and thought they had some real substance as well.
    My signature is written in ancient Aramaic using invisible ink that's scented by a unique and secretive combination of birch tar and saffron infused with a wispy rendition of garlic.
    Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally not a fan. Tried a few of the earlier releases. Didn't think they were bad smelling. Just not for me.
    My experience as well. They were definitely niche for their quirkiness but also felt amateur-ish in composition and execution. I tried many and couldn't find anything I liked.

Basenotes Plus

Does anybody have any thoughts or insight into Kerosene fragrances (good, bad, ugly or indifferent)? Reviews are in fairly short supply. I saw a new release on another platform and tobacco was a note so I was immediately interested. I checked the website and am thinking about getting the full lineup sampler.
    Pretty much just 3-4 or so that I either love or that appear to have a possible future with me with more testing.

R'oud Elements is a winner.
    Unknown Pleasures is a winner.
    Blackmail is a winner - this one surprised me. Either right off the bat or soon after, it was kinda 'meh' and unless I'm recalling incorrectly has the same type of smell found in his line, a certain note/accord/SOMETHING - but then (or at first... can't remember if this part was first or second) it smelled like a legit campfire smoke to me, was pretty cool. Then the drydown came and that's what 'sold' me on it! Like a nice sweet (vanilla?) smoke. Good stuff! Wait a little after opening.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Thanks for the responses guys. I never see them talked about so I was wondering. I caught wind of their newest release and it had me at tobacco. I have 17 samples on the way, 14 regulars and the 3 limited's.

Basenotes Plus

Broken Theories is the smell of the winter outdoors in my neighborhood when I was a kid. It's totally intoxicating and I'll never be without a bottle. I've sampled Copper Skies and R'oud Elements and they were of obvious high quality but I didn't spring for bottles of either. Would love to get my nose on more!
    Currently wearing: Mitzah by Christian Dior

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I have 17 samples on the way, 14 regulars and the 3 limited's.
    I like the commitment to get to know the house, that's a genuine sample haul. Hopefully you'll post thoughts here? I've only tried a handful (4 samples) but funny enough have a few more samples on the way as of yesterday.

What I've tried/currently have:

Broken Theories One of the better 'light smoke' ambery/woody scents I've tried. Smoke often overwhelms I find, but the restraint and polish here was impressive. Probably my favorite so far.

Santalum Slivers People will be disappointed if looking for a sandalwood-heavy scent, but if you're looking for a totally different take on long-lasting citrus, it might answer the mail. Dense citrus (grapefruit and orange mostly) lightened up with a fresh watery accord, which I guess would be the listed cucumber note. I don't smell proper cucumber, but it's a really nice citrus accord. Some sandal in the drydown, but to me this is mostly citrus - a citrus that doesn't put me to sleep.

Copper Skies Amber made fresh/herbal with a basil note, a really novel idea and there's nothing else like this that I've tried. The basil comes off as herbal/anisic, which I like. The while shebang smells pretty excellent to me.

Follow Super realistic coffee scent (at the top at least), like dark coffee grounds. Some sweetness to round things out but not overly sweet. Fairly linear and from what I recall, is less realistic coffee and more typical and somewhat boring amber.

From my limited exposure, I think John has shown a knack for creativity (Santalum Slivers, Copper Skies basil/amber) and also that he can round out compositions that aren't sloppy and don't fall apart (Broken Theories). Will see if I still feel the same after I try the others. Follow I'm not crazy about, but I don't really like coffee scents. Love coffee, but don't want to smell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I like the commitment to get to know the house, that's a genuine sample haul. Hopefully you'll post thoughts here? I've only tried a handful (4 samples) but funny enough have a few more samples on the way as of yesterday.

What I've tried/currently have:

Broken Theories One of the better 'light smoke' ambery/woody scents I've tried. Smoke often overwhelms I find, but the restraint and polish here was impressive. Probably my favorite so far.

Santalum Slivers People will be disappointed if looking for a sandalwood-heavy scent, but if you're looking for a totally different take on long-lasting citrus, it might answer the mail. Dense citrus (grapefruit and orange mostly) lightened up with a fresh watery accord, which I guess would be the listed cucumber note. I don't smell proper cucumber, but it's a really nice citrus accord. Some sandal in the drydown, but to me this is mostly citrus - a citrus that doesn't put me to sleep.

Copper Skies Amber made fresh/herbal with a basil note, a really novel idea and there's nothing else like this that I've tried. The basil comes off as herbal/anisic, which I like. The while shebang smells pretty excellent to me.

Follow Super realistic coffee scent (at the top at least), like dark coffee grounds. Some sweetness to round things out but not overly sweet. Fairly linear and from what I recall, is less realistic coffee and more typical and somewhat boring amber.

From my limited exposure, I think John has shown a knack for creativity (Santalum Slivers, Copper Skies basil/amber) and also that he can round out compositions that aren't sloppy and don't fall apart (Broken Theories). Will see if I still feel the same after I try the others. Follow I'm not crazy about, but I don't really like coffee scents. Love coffee, but don't want to smell of it.
    Yes I will be posting thoughts here. The sampler they offer is a nice deal and should arrive today. And I'm the same way with coffee scents, coffee is a note that's a non starter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Big fan of this house, even the 'weird one', Black Vines. Decidedly non-mainstream but not unwearable either. And all of them seem to possess nuclear strength and longevity. Highly creative house worthy of at least sampling.
    Almost my exact feelings as well.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

The only one I've smelled so far is Broken Theories (smelled it for the first time just a few days ago), and...

Broken Theories One of the better 'light smoke' ambery/woody scents I've tried. Smoke often overwhelms I find, but the restraint and polish here was impressive
    ...words stolen from my mouth (errr, hands).

Very light oud presence, but otherwise, it strikes me as a simple and impressively wearable lightly sweetened campfire smoke composition. It's a category I typically like more from an artistic perspective than actually wearing...but Broken Theories was an exception. I enjoyed wearing it a lot.

I also have a sample of Black Vines I need to get to, and want to try Copper Skies badly.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

てめーらァァァ!!それでも銀魂ついてん のかァァァ

I wouldn't light candles or any other kind of fire inside it.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

One can tell from 5 miles away that, Kerosene is a interesting brand. For better or worse, the scents, so far, are not boring. But is it good? I don’t really know how to tell.

Personally I like dirty flower factory: florals and chili peppers!
    And Creature: mint with a weird twist.

Luca Turin gave the brand high ratings, if that means anything.
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

I think I tried at least three. To me they were rather simple but strong and natural-smelling. The lack of complexity and blending that was not to my tastes led me to think that trying others would not be worthwhile.

First up was R'Oud Elements

This started off very nice and was a pleasant surprise. The orange mellowed out the oud nicely and I liked the way they worked together, I generally don't get along well with oud. After about an hour in it became dry and almost smells like "flavored" incense which really isn't my thing. I wish the first hour stayed longer. This will be a pass

Excited to sample Sacred Memory this week. Otherwise, I almost blind-bought Unknown Pleasures because I love Joy Division...

Day 2 is Fields of Rubus

I had high hopes for this because of the plum and tobacco notes but upon application I immediately knew a usual suspect killed it for me. I double checked the notes and yes, patchouli is the party crasher. While I wouldn't call it heavy handed it's definitely dominant and blankets everything else unfortunately. This is a personal thing though, I only like well behaved patchouli in small doses

I've been wearing Sacred Memory all evening. I think it should be called Sacred Meats instead.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    ...words stolen from my mouth (errr, hands).
    Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Very light oud presence, but otherwise, it strikes me as a simple and impressively wearable lightly sweetened campfire smoke composition. It's a category I typically like more from an artistic perspective than actually wearing...but Broken Theories was an exception. I enjoyed wearing it a lot.

I also have a sample of Black Vines I need to get to, and want to try Copper Skies badly.
    I have a sample of Black Vines coming, looking forward to it. I've been on an anise/licorice kick, despite hating to eat the stuff (well, black licorice at least - anise is okay). I think I have the "appreciation over enjoyment" thing for Copper Skies.

Day 2 is Fields of Rubus

I had high hopes for this because of the plum and tobacco notes but upon application I immediately knew a usual suspect killed it for me. I double checked the notes and yes, patchouli is the party crasher. While I wouldn't call it heavy handed it's definitely dominant and blankets everything else unfortunately. This is a personal thing though, I only like well behaved patchouli in small doses
    ^ This is one I figured I wouldn't like and passed on a sample of. I seem to have a mental image of people saying it's a fruitchouli, heavy on the fruit. Not my jam.

Did your set come with Blackmail? I think that was one of the limited ones.

Go figure

I have a sample of Black Vines coming, looking forward to it. I've been on an anise/licorice kick, despite hating to eat the stuff (well, black licorice at least - anise is okay). I think I have the "appreciation over enjoyment" thing for Copper Skies.

^ This is one I figured I wouldn't like and passed on a sample of. I seem to have a mental image of people saying it's a fruitchouli, heavy on the fruit. Not my jam.

Did your set come with Blackmail? I think that was one of the limited ones.
    I will have to check when I get home from work. Something in the tin smells really great and I'm eager to uncover whichever one it is. Time will tell!

I have a sample of Black Vines coming, looking forward to it. I've been on an anise/licorice kick, despite hating to eat the stuff (well, black licorice at least - anise is okay).
    I broke out my sample of Black Vines. It's not quite what I expected. The black licorice note in the opening is totally dominant for me. The opening reads to my nose as a black licorice soliflore, a little sweet and a little salty. The closest thing I've smelled in terms of straight up licorice-ness is Hermes Brin de Reglisse, and that's really not even close.

Cinnamon joins the licorice after 15 minutes or so. It's a quality cinnamon note, fresh and bright, with the licorice working to "cool it off". Supposedly there's fig and ivy in there, but I get neither - just a light balsamic sweetness in the background, which remains to the end.

The element I was probably most excited about, the fir/evergreen/forest piece mentioned in some reviews, is extremely subtle and seems to join the party late as a general sweet-woody tone, sort of a cooled off version of the lightly sweetened accord at the base of Broken Theories. This is in no way a "forest scent" to my nose.

Interesting notes and very high quality, but I was hoping for something more complex and forest-y.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 11th December 2018 at 10:53 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I enjoy Follow and Pretty Machine

Love the two ones I know and have: R’Oud Elements and Fields of Rubus.
    Currently wearing: Hindu Grass by Nasomatto