Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: real ambergris containing fragrances today?

Coronation Ambergris which is available through Jovoy boutiques. This line is a joint venture with Sultan Pasha.
    Currently wearing: Genre by Edward Bess

It's still used in Mitsouko extract, giving a wonderful golden glow, as it were lit from behind.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    It's still used in Mitsouko extract, giving a wonderful golden glow, as it were lit from behind.
    That's a beautiful way to describe it, and it sounds exactly like what I "see" when I wear Mitsouko extrait.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Ambergrisley Adams
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Arôme 3 by D'Orsay

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    +1 on Claire's excellent article.

Baikal Gris is great but if you can find a sample, look for Atlantic Ambergris. Btw I'm not convinced that Creed is a good way to go when it comes to genuine ambergris.

Atlantic Ambergris is the way to go if you can still find it...great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Ambergrisley Adams
    Great name! Sounds like a character from the old Pink Panther movies...

User of Toilet Water

I base my knowledge of ambergris from Atlantic Ambergris. I get a small taste of that in Baikal Gris and in Bortnikoff's Bonheur, but there is a lot more going on with those two. Neither beat Atlantic Ambergris.

La Via del Profumo. Anything that lists ambergris in the notes includes the real deal. No accords passed off as the real thing, no ambroxan, just high quality ambergris.

The variation in ambergris is immense. It would be a nightmare to try and standardize this on a commercial scale. Remember that the note list for most perfume ISN’T an ingredient list: it’s someone’s suggestion for what it smells like it is made up of.
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Erdenstern by April Aromatics contains a natural ambergris reconstruction that smells just like natural ambergris to me. All of their fragrances are all natural. Erdenstern doesn't contain ambergris per se, but you know what I mean. A bit of a tangent to the topic, but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Creed.
    Not anymore. Only vintage formulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Here's an article you might find interesting: http://www.basenotes.net/features/33...nd-half-truths
    Today I learned I love the smell of whale cholesterol, whale bile and whale feces (particularly in Green Irish Tweed).

Strangelove Silent The Sea also uses real ambergris I believe, and its effect is very noticeable, on par with Atlantic Ambergris and Baikal Gris.
    Currently wearing: Verveine Narcisse by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Only artisanal really

The ones I am sure about:

Sultan Pasha
    AbdesSalaam Attars
    Matriarch
    Areej Le Dore
    Bortnikoff

This...I have a really old bottle of Ambergris tincture from La Via del Profumo. It's like nothing I've ever smelled, very hard to describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lellabelle View Post
    La Via del Profumo. Anything that lists ambergris in the notes includes the real deal. No accords passed off as the real thing, no ambroxan, just high quality ambergris.

The variation in ambergris is immense. It would be a nightmare to try and standardize this on a commercial scale. Remember that the note list for most perfume ISN’T an ingredient list: it’s someone’s suggestion for what it smells like it is made up of.

I've become obsessed with Ambergris lately. I don't think you're going to find prominent use of real ambergris in a perfume nowadays unless you're willing to dish out $500+ for bottles from those ultra niche Middle Eastern houses and the like. Some compositions that do ambergris pretty well and are easy to come by:

YSL - L'homme Parfum Intense
    MFK - Bac Rouge 540 Extrait
    Creed - Erolfa, Royal Water, many others
    Prada - Luna Rossa Eau Sport
    Diptyque - Eau Mage

2 I still need to try: Invictus Aqua 2016 and Bvlgari Aqva Altantiqve
    "Freedom from desire is like the choicest extract from the choicest treasure."
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior--cannot confirm nor deny if it is real ambergris, though.
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JakeStiebs View Post
    Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior--cannot confirm nor deny if it is real ambergris, though.
    I don't think there's ambergris in this, but a resinous amber accord. Benzoin, labdanum. A sweet vanillac amber. Very different from the soft, creamy, aquatic, salty vibe that you get from ambergris.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Not anymore. Only vintage formulations.
    Yep. There’s a bit in current stuff but it’s nothing compared to older bottles/batches of creed.
    I’ve read on here that ambergris is now ifra restricted, but I haven’t looked into if this is true or not.

In any event- seek out older creeds, some of them had it in spades. I had a 2008 bottle of GIT that was loaded with it, and a 2010 bottle of BDP that was essentially a bottle of Ambergis & Mysore sandalwood with a touch of lavender & a few short lived top notes.

Brings up a good point...ambergris being prominent. Actual ambergris tinctures that I've smelled are quite light and would either need a synthetic version to amp things up a bit or be used in massive amounts for you to even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by bpl12 View Post
    I've become obsessed with Ambergris lately. I don't think you're going to find prominent use of real ambergris in a perfume nowadays unless you're willing to dish out $500+ for bottles from those ultra niche Middle Eastern houses and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Brings up a good point...ambergris being prominent. Actual ambergris tinctures that I've smelled are quite light and would either need a synthetic version to amp things up a bit or be used in massive amounts for you to even notice.
    The synthetics also last way longer.

Neanderthal Light
    "Neandertal light™ is in stark contrast to Neandertal dark, a journey which explores concepts of olfactory dissonance. Radiant and expansive Neandertal light concentrates on the present and as such, possesses a linear and harmonious structure. Hinoki
    oil is expanded with muted green notes creating a horizontal landscape, an olfactory still-life representation of nature. The binding quality of orris gives Neandertal light rigidity, form and cohesiveness within the structure. This binding quality produces a powerful resulting force, encapsulating time and the space around us. Leather and ambergris add unparalleled natural beauty and familiarity, displaying both power and magnetism. A contemporary portrait of the Neandertal’s mystery, this fragrance captures a suspended snapshot in time.

I've got samples of both here waiting to try and at the price I'd guess this should contain the real deal. Will update once I've given it a spin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JakeStiebs View Post
    No, it's not, and Ambre Nuit's composition might be kind of... underwhelming with the use of cheaper ingredient(s) - look up the GC-MS for it. Part of the reason why I sold my bottle. Meh.

Though I still <3 Dior.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bpl12 View Post
    I've become obsessed with Ambergris lately. I don't think you're going to find prominent use of real ambergris in a perfume nowadays unless you're willing to dish out $500+ for bottles from those ultra niche Middle Eastern houses and the like. Some compositions that do ambergris pretty well and are easy to come by:

YSL - L'homme Parfum Intense
    MFK - Bac Rouge 540 Extrait
    Creed - Erolfa, Royal Water, many others
    Prada - Luna Rossa Eau Sport
    Diptyque - Eau Mage

2 I still need to try: Invictus Aqua 2016 and Bvlgari Aqva Altantiqve
    No ambergris in YSL L'Homme Parfum. It's unaccurately listed on Fragrantica, but YSL website does not list any.

I own three bottles of Creed Erolfa. They’re all quite nice, with significant differences among them. The oldest is shot through with drop dead gorgeous ambergris. So glad I stumbled across this bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Creed uses it, but their ambergris is literally naked, and barely resembles the rich/sweet "amber" composite note or warm/round synthetic ambroxan we've seen in designers since 2010.

This ambergris is drier and more complex than most of the other "amber/ambre" notes I've seen, but also more subtle. Creed doesn't slam your face with it and you tend not to even smell it until the very end of the drydown, so it's used literally just as a fixative and house signature.
    I doubt they use it

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    I doubt they use it
    I doubt it too. And if they do, they probably use so little that it couldn't even be detected on its own (meaning, I'd bet they use 99% synthetic and 1% real. In fact, I'd bet it's way less than 1% real). That's one of the oldest marketing tricks in the book. Use 1% real, 99% fake, and you can still say you made it with the real thing since, technically, you did use 1% of the real thing. I believe the technical term for that sort of marketing is Scumbaggery. So many companies do it though. Take a walk down any aisle at the grocery store and read labels. You'll see it again and again and again and again and again again again.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Neroli Portofino
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Guerlain still uses the real stuff in their top tier perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

Sultan Pasha uses real ambergris

So does Dominique in Abdes Salaam Attars

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I doubt it too. And if they do, they probably use so little that it couldn't even be detected on its own (meaning, I'd bet they use 99% synthetic and 1% real. In fact, I'd bet it's way less than 1% real). That's one of the oldest marketing tricks in the book. Use 1% real, 99% fake, and you can still say you made it with the real thing since, technically, you did use 1% of the real thing. I believe the technical term for that sort of marketing is Scumbaggery. So many companies do it though. Take a walk down any aisle at the grocery store and read labels. You'll see it again and again and again and again and again again again.
    I think they use real Ambergris, in exactly the way you describe. I just got a 2018 100ml GIT new bottle, and the card inside says "our use of precious ingredients, including real ambergris" etc. etc. I'm sure there's 0.01% real stuff in there and everything else is synthetic, but they can make that claim because some tiny element is true.

I don't really give a shit, it still smells great lol.

Blog Entries

Never smelled real natural ambergris, so I can't say.

Notes claimed are just that, notes, not ingredients. I have never read the ingredient "ambergris" on any package of any fragrance I've bought. Therefor, imo note breakdowns with the word ambergris, is not real ambergris, just an accord; just as this is the case for other notes.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler