Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: real ambergris containing fragrances today?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    I think they use real Ambergris, in exactly the way you describe. I just got a 2018 100ml GIT new bottle, and the card inside says "our use of precious ingredients, including real ambergris" etc. etc. I'm sure there's 0.01% real stuff in there and everything else is synthetic, but they can make that claim because some tiny element is true.
    Exactly. I assume any house that claims to use real ambergris is actually using synthetic ambergris plus a tiny fraction of the real thing in order to claim that they use the real thing. I might - emphasis on might - believe certain smaller indie houses isf they claim to use real ambergris (Slumberhouse?), but even then, I'd be skeptical that they're not also using synthetic ambergris.

Let's be real here for a moment. The smell of real ambergris varies wildly, which means if a perfumer really is using it, they would struggle to keep a scent smelling predictably similar for customers. Every batch would be an entirely new creation needing to be reformulated based on the scent profile of the ambergris they're working with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    I don't really give a shit, it still smells great lol.
    Absolutely. That point can't be emphasized enough.

Some folks care more about what they read than what they smell. It's the same in any forum of hobbyists, regardless of the hobby. Go to a photography forum and read along as people get bent out of shape over specs & settings instead of judging how the photos look.

I don't care if a house uses real or synthetic ingredients. If the scent smells great, I'm happy. If it doesn't, I'm not. For me, it's really that simple. That being said, I sure do hate when houses lie about the ingredients they use.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Neroli Portofino
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Rising Phoenix also uses real ambergris. JK actually sent me a tiny little dusting of it in a small bottle. Looks a bit like a few dirty sand grains in the bottle but boy it doesn’t smell like sand! Definitely a fecal smell, but underneath you can smell that warm, spiky spiciness that we’ve come to think of with ambergris.

As another poster mentioned, Guerlain's Encens Mythique is supposed to have real ambergris in it. Whether it does or not, it is nonetheless a wonderful fragrance.

Now, I was told by several reliable sources that real ambergris does not smell good at all. I have never smelt real, pure ambergris, but I was told it is akin to halitosis.

I became interested in ambergris after I purchased Encens Mythique and fell in love with it. May I ask why you are interested in this note? Is it because you like it in one perfume and would like to discover how it smells in other perfumes, or is there some other reason for your interest?
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Fame by Corday

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    Now, I was told by several reliable sources that real ambergris does not smell good at all. I have never smelt real, pure ambergris, but I was told it is akin to halitosis.
    I've been fortunate enough to own two Mysore Sandalwood/Ambergris Tinctures (one by a DIY'er, another by Imperial Oud, their 'Mysuru Ambur') and a Mysore/Ambergris EdP (from a wet shaving artisan) which all utilise real ambergris. They exude some 'halitosis' type facets, but there is definitely an element of sea-saltiness, brine and waxiness that is what I adore about them.

I recently mentioned my use of one of them with a Mitsouko EdC ('60s) sample I was lucky to procure from a friend, and that made for a beautiful combination. I can definitely see the attraction and I'm considering purchasing my own ambergris to form a tincture with some Mysore sandalwood oil I have in my stash.

A number of Roja Dove fragrances, especially Bahrain. Bortnikoff Amber Cologne, ALD Baikal Gris.

I can confirm that Chanel and Guerlain still use real ambergris in some of their fragrances

ambergris-guerlain-chanel.jpg

Just sprayed on some Azzaro Chrome Legend, this stuff has a very realistic ambergris accord. It smells like Creed quality, like Creed doing an Axe fragrance lol

Basenotes Member

As i have been reading several of the most recent posts I get the impression some people are confusing real amber with ambergris. These are two totally different notes. Real ambergris is very expensive! I am no expert but I did read a great article on the topic a few weeks back talking of these two. I think it was fragrantica that had it. Just trying to help clear any confusion. https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Amb...otes-2929.html

Really interesting thread....offlate have become obsessed with ambergris...I have erolfa and if 'real' ambergris is something similar smelling then I am in.....does anyone know which of sultan Pasha creations has real ambergris ? I trust that artist so will surely dig in if there are some recommended ambergris centric Attars of his which should be tried ?
    Currently wearing: Supremacy Silver by Afnan

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Himalayan odyssey View Post
    Really interesting thread....offlate have become obsessed with ambergris...I have erolfa and if 'real' ambergris is something similar smelling then I am in.....does anyone know which of sultan Pasha creations has real ambergris ? I trust that artist so will surely dig in if there are some recommended ambergris centric Attars of his which should be tried ?
    He uses real ambergris. Any notes containing ambergris will be real ambergris. Euphero ll is one I enjoy.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/7008570...is-mimosa-rose

Mellifluence uses only real ambergris and is quite affordable. See their Etsy store. Nowhere near the great Sultan Pasha but very high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I have Ensar Ambra, which is a combination of real Mysore sandalwood and real ambergris, and that’s it. It’s beautiful, but the salient effect is sandalwood, doubtless enhanced or amplified by the ambergris.
    But the Q is ...is it worth that much amount which for me is to the moon and back ! I find the creations of ensar a tad bit over priced ...not worth the amount he demands especially when it's just 1g to 3g....I tried finding about the price for this one and got scandalised to silence !

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    He uses real ambergris. Any notes containing ambergris will be real ambergris. Euphero ll is one I enjoy.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/7008570...is-mimosa-rose

Mellifluence uses only real ambergris and is quite affordable. See their Etsy store. Nowhere near the great Sultan Pasha but very high quality.
    Thanks for the insights ...as a coincidence....I do have a package in mail coming from Mellifluence ( eagerly awaited as it's my first with him ) let's see how it goes and surely will keep this above one in mind ....thanks again !

I found there's a strong dose of white ambergris in Irisoir, it runs through the entire length of the composition, and yes it's real.
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

I’m currently in ambergris heaven - with Bortnikoff Bonheur on one arm and Areej Le Doré Atlantique Ambergris on the other. Both are fantastic. Unfortunately they’re sold out long ago and no longer in production. I reckon my stock will only last another year or two.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

One worth mentioning is from an artisan known mostly for (excellent) shave soaps. Just Right for a Tuesday EdT by Barrister & Mann is a really enjoyable light violet-woods-musk fragrance that uses real ambergris to add luminosity. In general Will Carius at Barrister & Mann is proving himself to be an apt perfumer, not only in the soaps which are much more intelligent compositions than is typical of artisan soap makers, but also in the EdTs and EdPs he’s released so far. (His Fougere Gothique is another one that is stunningly creative and far too under-the-radar right now.)

This is nice.....thanks for sharing....I browsed through this site...they don't ship outside of US but do have another retailer who does....so will see if I can lay my hands of this Fougere !
    Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    One worth mentioning is from an artisan known mostly for (excellent) shave soaps. Just Right for a Tuesday EdT by Barrister & Mann is a really enjoyable light violet-woods-musk fragrance that uses real ambergris to add luminosity. In general Will Carius at Barrister & Mann is proving himself to be an apt perfumer, not only in the soaps which are much more intelligent compositions than is typical of artisan soap makers, but also in the EdTs and EdPs he’s released so far. (His Fougere Gothique is another one that is stunningly creative and far too under-the-radar right now.)

Ambre Doré (2012) by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is nice.....thanks for sharing....I browsed through this site...they don't ship outside of US but do have another retailer who does....so will see if I can lay my hands of this Fougere !
    Ah glad you found a retailer that handles your region. Fougere Gothique, it should be mentioned, is DIFFERENT, that’s for sure. It’s got lavender, sure, but also notes of smoke, soil, mushrooms, and quite a few other things which create a very heady and adventurous experience. It’s one of those fragrances that bowls me over with its creativity and skill even while I’m left unsure whether I’d wear it. But as weird as it is, it’s also very well-done. And very strong, be warned. Hope you enjoy his stuff.