Code of Conduct

Default Any tips on how to break a flacon?

I have 250 ml Tobacco Vanille flacon that is impossible to open.. I tried the tapping method, cooling the stopper and heating the neck, but nothing seems to work.. I think breaking the bottle is my only option. Any suggestions on how to do this safely, and without introducing tiny shards to the juice?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any tips on how to break a flacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Histone View Post
    I have 250 ml Tobacco Vanille flacon that is impossible to open.. I tried the tapping method, cooling the stopper and heating the neck, but nothing seems to work.. I think breaking the bottle is my only option. Any suggestions on how to do this safely, and without introducing tiny shards to the juice?
    You have to turn it upside down into a ziplock bag filled with just enough Everclear to cover the frozen stopper. Put this assemblage into a coffee cup to hold things steady and let it soak. Check it every 24hours, and tap the cap gently on edge of a table. Turn it 180 degrees and tap it the other way. Gently try to wiggle the cap back and forth with your fingers in this same direction, and then gently try to twist the cap clockwise.

You can use more force on what looks to be a sturdy cap--but force shouldn't really be necessary as the juice hits the frozen seal from the inside and the Everclear hits it from the outside. Dried fragrance that freezes a cap/stopper is like painting a window shut--seems it shouldn't be that strong, and yet it is.

When the alcohol dissolves the dried fragrance "epoxy", the cap will come off, usually in a couple or three days.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    You have to turn it upside down into a ziplock bag filled with just enough Everclear to cover the frozen stopper. Put this assemblage into a coffee cup to hold things steady and let it soak. Check it every 24hours, and tap the cap gently on edge of a table. Turn it 180 degrees and tap it the other way. Gently try to wiggle the cap back and forth with your fingers in this same direction, and then gently try to twist the cap clockwise.

You can use more force on what looks to be a sturdy cap--but force shouldn't really be necessary as the juice hits the frozen seal from the inside and the Everclear hits it from the outside. Dried fragrance that freezes a cap/stopper is like painting a window shut--seems it shouldn't be that strong, and yet it is.

When the alcohol dissolves the dried fragrance "epoxy", the cap will come off, usually in a couple or three days.
    Wow, I have never heard of this method before. OP, please let us know if you try this and it works. It would be such a shame to break the flacon.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Nuit de Noël by Caron

If not now, when?

I assume you tried putting it in the freezer to loosen the cap? This worked for me once.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I also encourage you to try again in various ways (the freezer worked for me once as well, but shycat's method is stronger). Cutting glass is better left to the experts. If it needs be, perhaps you can check with your local glass repair companies, they have the tools to cut glass precisely.

cacio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    Wow, I have never heard of this method before. OP, please let us know if you try this and it works. It would be such a shame to break the flacon.
    I read this method on an old thread here on basenotes. I used it to get my vintage Schiaparelli Shocking parfum open--a ground glass stopper that failed to open with the tapping, Everclear dripping, freezing, blow-drier methods. It's delicate little stopper.

Worked a charm in 48 hours.

How about taking it to a place that sells it and letting them have a crack at it? Surely they have a wealth of experience.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    How about taking it to a place that sells it and letting them have a crack at it? Surely they have a wealth of experience.
    Yes, at least see what they suggest.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I read this method on an old thread here on basenotes. I used it to get my vintage Schiaparelli Shocking parfum open--a ground glass stopper that failed to open with the tapping, Everclear dripping, freezing, blow-drier methods. It's delicate little stopper.

Worked a charm in 48 hours.
    That is fabulous! I will have to remember this method in future should I ever need it. Thank you for posting.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Nuit de Noël by Caron

Freed from BN Institution

More tools, more resources, more knowledge. Personally I wouldn't waste too much time and effort in prying the flacon open if it's jammed shut! I know this as I have had similar issues with Creed flacons!
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I will give this a try.. Thank you!

I actually took it to Tom Ford boutique yesterday but they weren't able to open it..

Thank you very much for the tip.. I will try it. Do I have to use evergreen? would rubbing alcohol work the same?

If not now, when?

Thank you very much for the tip.. I will try it. Do I have to use evergreen? would rubbing alcohol work the same?
    No. Everclear is not the same as Rubbing Alcohol. Everclear is completely scent-free.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I actually took it to Tom Ford boutique yesterday but they weren't able to open it..
    Surprising. Well, at least you know it truly has a problem and it's not anything you're doing wrong.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

Contact the glass workshop. They will help you open the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by reegle View Post
    Contact the glass workshop. They will help you open the bottle
    This is a good call. If a glass blowing shop can't open it, it can't be opened.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Everclear is 190 proof, drinkable (a term relative to the state of your inner alcoholic) ethanol, without odors. Mix it with water to make vodka. I bought my bottle, with some embarassment I concede, down the street at the liquor store. It's perfumer's alchohol without the bittering agents added (so that perfumer's alcohol can be handled as an industrial product rather than regulated as a consumable.)

DSC06956.jpg

If the worst happens and a stopper loosens and drops, spilling all the parfum into the ziplock, you haven't utterly ruined the fragrance, merely converted it to cologne. The ziplock prevents your tablespoon or two of Everclear from evaporating and catches all spillage.

This stuck cap you're talking about isn't a ground glass stopper, I suppose? In any case, 95% ethanol is a kick ass solvent of many things--helpful in cleaning around the house, I hear. Never tried that.

People talk about taking it to a glass cutting shop....are those a thing? I see Starbucks dotted around, but never "Get your glass cut here!" shops.

Whatever you do, do it inside a freezer ziplock. If some joker has super-glued the cap on, maybe try just putting it inside a ziplock and striking the cap only with a hammer--tap tap tap type strikes of increasing force. Otherwise, I wouldn't try to break the bottle.

It should be well within the realm of possibility to drill a hole in the side of your bottle--one for draining into a funnel leadling to a decanting bottle, and one for letting in air.

I'm in love with this guy's accent. Seriously. Home folks.

I have an Aventus flacon with ~20ml left that I can't open. Worried about forcing it too much as they are rather more delicate than Tom Ford decanters. I'd use as much force as possible on TF decanters - they are very solidly built.

I may be in the minority here but Tobacco Vanille isn’t worth all that trouble. I say f*#k it, take a hammer to it and spill the content all over your carpet if you truly enjoy the scent. Be sure to record the episode and post it on YouTube with a sweet note to Mr F*cking Fabulous himself. Who knows, for the viral video he might even send you a replacement flacon?
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Hi
    If you apply a little oil with a brush?

I freeze mine then carefully run hot water over the bottle neck at the stopper, follow with firm steady twisting force to the stopper until temperature equalizes, repeat sequence until stopper is free. I think temperature differential and patience are key. Might take three or four tries but always works with no damage. Afterwards if you aren't using the flacon break the seal every six months so it doesn't gum up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I may be in the minority here but Tobacco Vanille isn’t worth all that trouble. I say f*#k it, take a hammer to it and spill the content all over your carpet if you truly enjoy the scent. Be sure to record the episode and post it on YouTube with a sweet note to Mr F*cking Fabulous himself. Who knows, for the viral video he might even send you a replacement flacon?
    As hilarious as this suggestion is, I will add a vote for Shycat's method, or a variation of it that I have used with vintage flacons that have been sealed shut for decades. I wrap the neck with cotton soaked in rubbing alcohol, repeat the application a few times, and then gradually and repeatedly and gently pull up, working around the stopper. Twisting is NOT GOOD for delicate vintage glass stoppers--you can twist the top right off, leaving the rest stuck in the neck of the bottle (don't ask how I know this)--but it does seem that the TF stopper is a burly one and could stand some heavy twisting. I don't freeze and heat (another tragic experience with a vintage flacon that we don't like to speak of).
    Currently wearing: Parure by Guerlain