Code of Conduct

Default Help! Creed Original Vetiver Base Note?

Hi All -

New here, so I am sorry if the answer to this exists elsewhere. I recently sampled a bit of Creed OV at a department store in town, and I really liked it.

What I am curious about, is what is at the very base of the scent. I sprayed some a strip of scent paper, and I can still get a very strong whiff of this base note off the paper days later. It reminds me exactly of what my grandfather used to smell like. Is the the vetiver? Sandalwood? Ambergris? It is a very soft green and almost leathery smell.

I am curious, because I'd like to buy a scent that smells more like this base note than the top notes of OV (unless this is what this consistently dries down to on the skin).

Thanks in advance!

- M

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default Re: Help! Creed Original Vetiver Base Note?

I get Sandalwood, but that smells like a vaguely creamy, dusty wood. From your description it sounds like a mix of the vetiver and something else.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

you’re probably picking up the heavy use of Ambroxan (ambergris) in OV.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
    you’re probably picking up the heavy use of Ambroxan (ambergris) in OV.
    Yep, you're right. This is in the base of just about every Creed. It's their 'signature' base, which is ultimately ambrox very carefully blended with other things.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

My guess also is the ambergris.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Likely Ambergris
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

certainly no vetiver -- it's quite musky imo

Welcome!

I smell some vetiver and some synthetic materials like ambroxan. I think ambroxan became big only in the 80s, so if it's from an era before this, it could be vetiver. If you have the chance, try smelling other vetiver perfumes like Tom Ford Grey Vetiver or Guerlain vetiver to see if it's vetiver you pick. For ambroxan, you can check the drydown of things like Dior Sauvage.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

There is a vegetal, almost sour-sweet note that, IMO, smells like vetiver and some kind of fougere/fern along with ambergris along with a clean note that is almost soapy. That's what I get. People say there is no vetiver in this but I believe there is and it's blended in a way that turns it into a sweet/sour effect. There is also a type of barbershop vibe in it that seems like a sandalwood note buried deep in the base and isn't very apparent. And I believe a barbercide note was added to this as well. If you smell Original Vetiver very carefully and you know what that cleaning solution barbers use for their shears/scissors smells like, you can pick it up in the mix quite easily. You'll be asking yourself why you didn't smell is in the first place because that note is prominently independent in the mix.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Thanks! I agree that it definitely musky. I haven't smelled many other vetivers (at least not that I know of) so I wanted to understand what is dominantly at the base of this since I quite like the scent after it dries down.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    There is a vegetal, almost sour-sweet note that, IMO, smells like vetiver and some kind of fougere/fern along with ambergris along with a clean note that is almost soapy. That's what I get. People say there is no vetiver in this but I believe there is and it's blended in a way that turns it into a sweet/sour effect. There is also a type of barbershop vibe in it that seems like a sandalwood note buried deep in the base and isn't very apparent. And I believe a barbercide note was added to this as well. If you smell Original Vetiver very carefully and you know what that cleaning solution barbers use for their shears/scissors smells like, you can pick it up in the mix quite easily. You'll be asking yourself why you didn't smell is in the first place because that note is prominently independent in the mix.
    I can for sure smell the barbercide at first, but it dries down to something that is really complex - having a hard time putting my finger on it but hoping to get a better sense so I can find other scents similar to what this is like after it dies down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My guess also is the ambergris.
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't want to purchase this if for 90% of the time I won't get this scent from it. The top notes are nice, but what I really enjoy is what this turns into.