Code of Conduct

Default Is it worth chasing the vintage male Chanel's or current okay?

Wondering if it's worth paying more, chancing vintage quality, real or fake etc... Or is the modern versions of the male fragrances acceptable? Do any of them suffer from sillage it longevity issues?
    Last edited by Nattyboh74; 6th December 2018 at 10:13 AM.

Default Re: Is it worth chasing the vintage male Chanel's or current okay?

Are you thinking about one in particular?

Pour monsieur, Egoiste, and Antaeus vintage cost a fortune online, so I've never tried. Overall, I think that the vintage were stronger and had more longevity, but the current versions are acceptable, even if they don't last as long. Pour monsieur EDT and Antaeus, I think, suffer from lack of oakmoss. Egoiste doesn't have real sandalwood anymore, but it seemed still good and strong to me, though I read somebody saying the very latest batch is weak.

For other perfumes, I don't think vintage is any different.

cacio

Always be smelling

As Cacio said - current version are acceptable. But personally I own only vintage male Chanel. Egoiste was very good in current form but the last time I tried (last week) it seemed much thinner. The bottle was different too.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I like current and vintage Chanel. There are a bunch of current Chanel's I like such as Edition Blanche, Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste, and Antaeus.

I love vintage style, so older versions of Egoiste and Antaeus work well for me, and I love the old oak-moss rich versions of Pour Monsieur and Pour Monsieur Concentree.

Pour Monsieur Concentree is a fragrance that grew on me after I had it a while. It didn't completely click at first, but now I love it: oak moss and vanilla.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Chanel seems not to tinker with formulas much but where IFRA or ingredient scarcity demands. The one exception is Antaeus. Sadly, some suit and tie schmuck thought it best to remove the castoreum (even any synthetic proxy) to make it more palatable for potential new buyers I'm guessing, and the clean soapy results basically strangled the fragrance of it's character. Don't go past the mid-2000's with that one.

The rest are just less oakmoss/eugenol/geraniol as IFRA dictates, which effects the depth and duration of the fragrances most. Anything after Allure Homme seems to be more or less future-proof anyway, so this is really only a concern with 20th century Chanels.
    oh look, I have a signature

Among vintage Chanel's worth pursuing - only one that I would personally - Cuir de Russie. It's a different animal in the vintage version, although current is way better than the thousands of leathers being sold out there...
    Currently wearing: Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & B˙zios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Nattyboh74 View Post
    Or is the model versions of the male fragrances acceptable?
    Quite.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Interesting lol. I meant modern not model
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Quite.

I own a few current versions and a few vintage. While I enjoy the current versions quite a lot, I am totally besotted with vintage Egoiste, Egoiste Cologne Concentree, Platinum Egoiste and Antaeus. That's a very expensive road to travel though. The current versions of the fragrances I mentioned (and a lot of others in the Chanel line) are very good value in my opinion.
    MY UK SPLITS (2018): NICHE / DESIGNER

If the slightly decreased performances are not such a problem and the vintage become too costly and/or too difficultly obtainable even if money is not the issue- then mostly yes, personally perceiving the actual scents quite indistinguishable from their elder versions, if the longevity and projection were not decreased
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

I currently have a deep deep deep boxed vintage bottle of 3.4oz spray Antaeus and I've used it a few times, about 5 sprays . I don't know if I like it... I don't want to keep spraying it, using it's contents. If I like modern ,I could sell this bottle with it's contents more full...

I have to get a hold of newer Antaeus And make my decision to keep this vintage or not..

Quote Originally Posted by Nattyboh74 View Post
    I currently have a deep deep deep boxed vintage bottle of 3.4oz spray Antaeus and I've used it a few times, about 5 sprays . I don't know if I like it... I don't want to keep spraying it, using it's contents. If I like modern ,I could sell this bottle with it's contents more full...

I have to get a hold of newer Antaeus And make my decision to keep this vintage or not..
    It took me a while to fall in love with Antaeus. Your bottle is only going to get more valuable over time. If you can afford to, I would keep it for now. Of course, you should still sample the current version to see if you like it. It's always quite revealing testing vintage v current side by side. I think you will have your answer then.
    MY UK SPLITS (2018): NICHE / DESIGNER

This is true... I guess considered it an investment. It's pre batch code. EDT on the back, no bar code, etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    It took me a while to fall in love with Antaeus. Your bottle is only going to get more valuable over time. If you can afford to, I would keep it for now. Of course, you should still sample the current version to see if you like it. It's always quite revealing testing vintage v current side by side. I think you will have your answer then.

I agree with the others that the modern formulations are all very, very good, but the vintages are usually better. Sometimes the difference isn't so pronounced, as in Chanel's Egoiste, sometimes the differences are significant, like Antaeus.

Even the original Sycomore EdT was much better than the current EdP.

Whether the price difference is worth it depends on the fragrance.