Code of Conduct

Default mostly anosmic to Vol de Nuit & L'Heure Bleue

it seems that i'm mostly anosmic to these perfumes (current formulations, Vol de Nuit EdT, L'Heure Bleue EdP). can hardly smell them (but my family says that they're strong AF).
    do you have an idea, which molecules in these perfumes i'm anosmic to?
    people say that l'heure bleue is anisic and has vanille in it, so maybe... anisaldehyde? i have anisaldehyde and i do know that i can't smell it well.
    also... these two fragrances have iris in them. i recently tried Bucoliques de Provence from L'Artisan, which has iris in it too and i can't smell that perfume either. so i guess it's a certain iris molecule or molecules... there are a lot of iris ACs and i definitely can smell some of them. i have no problem with Iris Silver Mist. Dior Homme, ... etc.
    is it possible that the molecules i'm anosmic to, suppress the rest of the creation? a modern perfume has a tons of ingredients in it, and i can't imagine that i'm anosmic to 80% of the molecules in the mentioned perfumes.

thx in advance!
    Currently wearing: Vanille Tonka by Nicolaļ

Default Re: mostly anosmic to Vol de Nuit & L'Heure Bleue

Strange effect. I'm curious if you learn anything. What house are these from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    What house are these from?
    legendary Guerlain scents

Your nose needs rest.

Quote Originally Posted by xii View Post
    Your nose needs rest.
    went ca. 2 weeks completely fragrance-free before smelled Vol de Nuit

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

I'm with you on hit-and-miss notes. I used to not be able to smell violet or iris. I've made great strides in detecting violet, and made a little progress with iris. It doesn't make sense (no "scents" pun intended) to me that I could improve detection over time. Additionally, I've noticed I smell with my right nostril, my left catches very little scent. So, is it something of the structure in the nose? Is it a connection with the brain? I'm perplexed.
    MY 2019 RESOLUTIONS
    (1) Finish scanning historical photos. (2) Shoot photos to chronicle present.

Get a sample of the concerning perfumes and dilute to about a 1/2. Smell daily or even twice daily up to 3 months to ascertain if it's real anosmia or just training.

Also, try high zinc supplement like double normal daily value. There are studies that say it's necessary for nerve conduction in the nose.

Double should not hurt you, however, I'm not a Dr. although my supplement regimen is approved by mine Zinc has had two wonderful effects for me. A. I don't get sick as much or as severely. B. intermittent anosmia, specific anosmia are resolved and nose acuity is doubled. If it's working should notice a difference anywhere from day one to 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    Get a sample of the concerning perfumes and dilute to about a 1/2. Smell daily or even twice daily up to 3 months to ascertain if it's real anosmia or just training.

Also, try high zinc supplement like double normal daily value. There are studies that say it's necessary for nerve conduction in the nose.

Double should not hurt you, however, I'm not a Dr. although my supplement regimen is approved by mine Zinc has had two wonderful effects for me. A. I don't get sick as much or as severely. B. intermittent anosmia, specific anosmia are resolved and nose acuity is doubled. If it's working should notice a difference anywhere from day one to 2 weeks.
    thx, will try these.
    actually, i eat a lot of good quality beef (good souce of zinc) but a bit of supplementation won't hurt i guess

Oh, I eat beef too, grass fed from Colorado but that was another point of the study is that the recommendations and what people receive are really too low for optimal. I really thought it was working day two and couldnt quite beleive it but after 1 week I to admit it was astonishing. I can smell all ionones fantastic and galaxolide went from being no smell to being able to pick it out everwhere. I had a sample of hummus ether I could not smell and was told it could have gone bad and got another one a year later. My new sample smelled so strongly and multifaceted it gave me a religious experience but when compared to the first sample it was identical :P

wow. sounds amazing man. religious experience, haha must try
    which zinc supplement do you use?

The chelated zinc from whole foods. Heres a thread where it's talked about in more depth with all the caveats. Keep your nose moisturized with saline, don't spray zinc up there, eventually, try tapering down the dose to find a happy medium for you.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...89#post3162389

That sounds strange. Can you smell the vintage versions?
    It's possible that they now both use a musk to which you are anosmic.

cacio

My guess would be ionones. They are notorious for easily overwhelming certain olfactory receptors and then making you anosmic to them.
    Paradoxically, the greater the intensity of the amount of fragrance there is, the more likely it is your nose will not be able to smell anything.

If I can make a suggestion, ask someone else to spray some on themselves in another room (on a day where you have not smelled this fragrance) and then have them walk up to you and slowly approach, taking small whiffs, carefully focusing on any scent that may be there, and see if you can smell anything. Ironically, sometimes the person wearing a fragrance can barely smell anything but everyone else immediately notices when that person walks into a room.

It's strange that you don't smell much from either of these, given that they are fairly complex perfumes.

I have the current Vol de Nuit parfum and I always think it smells different every time I wear it. It seems to me like it contains a relatively large amount of methyl ionone (Iralia or similar), and I've wondered before if that might partly be the cause. Iris Silver Mist contains a large amount of methyl ionone, but maybe the other orris materials in it allow you to smell it clearly.

The other thing Vol de Nuit and L'Heure Bleue seem to have in common is a significant amount of vanillin. I don't suppose you're overdosing on vanilla flavoured protein powder or something like that?! Can you smell vanillin easily?

Other than that, maybe if Guerlain are using Muscenone or some other modern macrocyclic musk to replace the nitromusks and musk tincture that were probably used in these perfumes, then they might be having a flattening effect on the fragrances for you. From my own experience, these types of musk molecules can have strange and unexpected effects, quite different from musk ketone, or even other musks like Galaxolide, for that matter. So, as suggested, it might be interesting to try the vintage versions if possible.

That said, for me, current Vol de Nuit parfum is very strong. I haven't tried the eau de toilette, unfortunately.

L'Heurre Bleu has a lot of methyl ionone (as does Vol de Nuit as mentioned above). Methyl Ionone is famous for causing anosmia. Most likely it's that.